Dabpress Rosin Plates

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
An update on my situation since having my
Van broken into at the worst possible time, with my dabpress and herb inside!

Roger @dabpress has helped me out as a returning customer and given me a discount on a new press so a 10 ton Driptech is on its way via DHL express! Horray for Dabpress how many companies have such good customer service? If your on the fence this is the place to dive into Rosin Tech.

Really excited to get the package and dabpress Goodies.

As I’m in the U.K which 10 ton pump do you recommend? I didnt order the adaptor so will need to work out of the box.

Every cloud has a silver lining now I have an upgrade! And now I’m laughing at the image of the thieves trying to work out what the fuck the press does and trying to vape flower in a puffco Peak! Mugs! Lol will keep you updated when I open the kit and when I get pressing. Laters

That's what I'm talking about Roger @dabpress.com way to go :clap:

I am glad that you have chosen us again @Bunny to replace your beloved press, thank you.:love:

The UK/EU rosineers are buying the big red/torin 10-ton pump with gauge off ebay.uk, here's a link -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-TON-H...h=item4b05b6e358:g:BT0AAOSwPhdVN7zc:rk:1:pf:0

If you ever wanna get into a hydraulic+pneumatic setup you can pick up a gauge kit then and add it inline between the hose and cylinder. :tup:

Vapor Loop

How do you put oil in the 3 ton jack? And how would you stop a leak coming out the front pooling up and overflowing every indent? I think the shipping company tipped mine upside down, There was a bunch of oil in the box, There are shipping labels upside down and it leaks like crazy. I figured it would just stop but it's not showing any signs of that.

Vapor Loop,
Reactions: LesPlenty

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
How do you put oil in the 3 ton jack? And how would you stop a leak coming out the front pooling up and overflowing every indent? I think the shipping company tipped mine upside down, There was a bunch of oil in the box, There are shipping labels upside down and it leaks like crazy. I figured it would just stop but it's not showing any signs of that.

Dang! Sorry your jack is leaking =(

There is a plastic cap over a plug on the right of the release valve. If you can take that plastic cap off and try tightening that screw down 90-180 degrees counter-clockwise. If that doesn't stop the leaking please PM me so we can work on getting this resolved for you!

EpicNameGuy

Still evaluating the press. My first couple of presses weren't for great yields, the ones since I had to do without a scale (dumb).

@psychonaut thanks for the various answers. Knowing that it's bamboo as the insulator is helpful from a durability perspective. The heat soak thing is a little concerning, but the unit is just for personal use in my case so it doesn't need to be running for long durations.

Folks should be mindful though... hydraulics HATE heat. Obviously, don't burn yourself on the frame (perhaps unlikely, haven't used it for long duration). But, more realistically perhaps, be mindful of heat soak in relation to your cylinder.

That will harm your cylinder as much as exceeding 80% of the rated value (8 tons being that threshold, in this example). If you're doing both, expect a very low life on your cylinder and a blown seal.

Some questions.…

1) The gauge on the strongway vs the cylinder itself... I find its very confusing to map out the PSA/mPA on the gauge and translate that into PSI at the plates (3inx5in).

How do I ultimately take PSI on the gauge and convert that into an expectation of PSI at max (15 sq in) or, more usefully, any given puck dimension? The calculation is usually obvious, but something about this pump and cylinder pair is really throwing me off.

2) Where are some good places to source the bags used for bottletech?

3) I'm not used to bottletech… whats the max amount of flower I should stuff in there? ~10g?

4) For bottletech on this press, what are folks throwing at the pouch (ideally PSI-wise on the strongway gauge, but would take actual PSI at the pouch if I can figure out the calculation).

Thanks for all the help so far.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
@EpicNameGuy

Thanks for all the questions!

1. Please use this math to calculate the PSI on the filter itself. (Pressing single buds which you wont be able to accurately predict the PSI will pretty much render the gauge useless, I'd suggest going by feel.)
PSI on gauge x 2.25 = Total force applied. Total force applied / puck size in sq/in = PSI

2. If you are looking to stuff 3-5 grams into a filter, our 2" wide filters are great for that amount bottle tech style. The 30mm cylinder pre-press mold pairs to that size filter if you wanna try pressing out a 7g puck. 2.5" wide filters are great for 10-14g and pair to the 40mm cylinder pre-press mold. They are available usually on ebay or Amazon in the USA, or dabpress.com for international.

3. Depends on your material and size of your pre-press mold. 7g in the 30mm can cause blowouts unless your material is super dense, 14g will do the same thing in the 40mm mold. I generally split my 2" filters in half and run 3.5g in one half and 3.5g in the other, rarely ever see blowouts. Stuffing by hand you'll need to use less material unless you can get creative with a home made puck maker like @gunmetalshark made and posted in this thread.

4. I have been running between 850-1200 PSI at the filter for my bottle tech runs, favoring the higher PSI for larger loads. The PSI on the gauge changes depending on the pre-press mold that I use. For my 30mm mold, it makes a 1.75-2" diameter finished puck, so 2.4-3.14 sq/in, my 40mm mold will make a 2.25-2.5" finished puck, so 4-5 sq/in puck.

Ex of my math - I wanna use 1200 PSI on the filter that I expect will be 5 sq/in when pressed.
1200 PSI x 5 sq/in = 6000 lbs total force / 2.25 = 2666 PSI on gauge​

In regards to the hr10t35v press overheating the hydraulics, I just turned mine on half an hour ago, I'll report back what the cylinder temperature is after about 4 hours. I dont expect it will be very hot at all on the hr10t35v unit. The ambient temp in the room is fairly cool, 58F but the rosin control box is heating the plates to 220F. Just did a quick measure as the plates have been preheated for about 30 minutes so far, the steel plate underneath the bamboo is 91.5F and the plastic cap on the hydraulic cylinder is 80.5F. Will let it go for another 3.5 hours for the sake of science.

Roger had spent a lot of time testing insulation materials, combinations, thickness and temperatures during the R&D for this unit, I would be surprised if the heat drains into the press much further.

EDIT: Ok, got the temps after running for 4H at 220F in a 58F room, room warmed up a few degrees with the press running.

Top handle - 102.5F
Metal plate below bamboo - 98.5F
Black ram cover - 84F
Piston - 81F

While the top handle was warm to the touch it wasn't hot, this seemed to get the brunt of the heat as the plates radiate upward.

All this being said I still recommended to power your press off when you are finished working.

Last edited:

anda1anda2

After breaking enough flat irons, I decided to dive in with a proper press. Ended up with the 3x3 3 ton all-in-one as I don’t see myself needing to press more than 5g a squish and need something I can stick in the closet when not in use.

Honestly, I originally was looking at another company’s AIO, but the active community here and price/performance ratio sold me on the dabpress unit.

One question: I have never used filter bags before. How close to the edge of the plates should I aim to position the bag?

I am interested in getting the rosin off the plates as soon as possible to see if that helps retain some of the flavor and aroma. With the flat iron, I felt like I was losing some of the flower’s essence, even at semi-low temps like 190F.

anda1anda2

Welcome to the family @anda1anda2 ! :cheers:

I have best luck putting the puck about 1/4" or so in from the front edge. As close as you can get where it won't squish out.

Take a peek at this customer in Canada pressing with the filter close to the edge.

Thanks! Nice video.

I probably won’t be able to play with it until this weekend, so I am currently plotting out my plan of attack.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Thanks! Nice video.

I probably won’t be able to play with it until this weekend, so I am currently plotting out my plan of attack.

I wish you all the best in your weekend squish! If I may recommend, if you have 3.5g of flower to start with, just stuff any type filter by hand bottle tech style (90-160u preferred to start) I have a number of videos on my youtube channel, especially early videos from Spring 2018 that show, uncut, all the steps to hand stuff a filter and press it out with excellent results.

Please let us know how you get along with your unit! :science:

JohnnyMauser

Yay my Press arrived. Unboxed already and installed the PID on the Unit. Is there any trick to get the Bottlejack ready? The slot where i put the arm is kinda loose, it holds with two rivets with clips on it. Put the arm in and "pumping" up and down... and nothing happens. The ram stays in the bottlejack and nothing happens. Is there any safety lock? In the manual i cannot find anything about it.

Got it, rotated the bottle jack valve knob clockwise till end, now the ram moves..

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Yay my Press arrived. Unboxed already and installed the PID on the Unit. Is there any trick to get the Bottlejack ready? The slot where i put the arm is kinda loose, it holds with two rivets with clips on it. Put the arm in and "pumping" up and down... and nothing happens. The ram stays in the bottlejack and nothing happens. Is there any safety lock? In the manual i cannot find anything about it.

Got it, rotated the bottle jack valve knob clockwise till end, now the ram moves..

Congratulations :tup: Sounds like the release valve was open just enough to prevent the piston from moving. You are all set! I like to close the release valve after pressing so it's ready to go on the next press session.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Thanks ill keep that in mind.
Would you recommend to let the ram go completly down when not in use or just dont care?

I don't think it matters as the jack won't have any type of load placed on it. I keep mine fully retracted when not in use as I normally need the plates open as much as possible for inserting bottle tech bags.

anda1anda2

I got a chance to get a couple first presses in.

I started with two 3.5g presses of some cheap Bubblegum popcorn I bought from the dispensary to use for experimenting. Both in 160 micron bags bottle tek style and went for 3 minutes. One at 190F and one at 200F. I ended up getting 12% on the former and 14% on the latter. Both turned into baby poop color gritty budder on the plates. I read @psychonaut mention sometimes this texture can create a dam preventing the oil from escaping the plates and I think this was the case here.

Next was 2g of Sour Joker at 185F at 3min in a 160 micron bag. Yield wasn’t great ~ 10%. I got a medium orange color pull & snap from it. I dabbed a bit and it had a beautiful taste - like sparkling sour peach candy. One of the tastiest dabs I have ever taken.

Last press was 3.5g Gorilla Glue at 185F using the dabpress prepress and bottle tek with 160 micron bag. I had planned to pull it at 3 minutes but took it closer to 4 as the oil really started flowing towards the end. Turned out as amber pull & snap and got an impressive 21% yield on the first press (another 3% on the 2nd).

I had pressed this flower previously on a flat iron and I always lost the cocoa and spice that comes through with the flower leaving just the funk undertones. The result with the dabpress was able to pick up quite a bit more of this flavor. With that nice yield, I will probably try and take this one at a mn even lower temp next time.

So far so good!

Bunny

@anda1anda2 All sounds great especially the ‘peach candy’ .personal pressing allows for tasting some rare flavours. Even better if You can grow the flavours.

Talking of growing I’m going to need to build a stealth box for 2x 75w leds (GN HS1. As my main Organic grow and been shut down. I’m popping some Auto O.G Candy Dawg Kush to grow at a mates. Hopefully my share will get me a fair few squishes?
But the stealth box will have to do the rest.oh big summer outdoor is also planned

New 10 ton driptech arrives beginning of next week! I need to get that pump. I’m almost out of flower for a few months as detailed above . But to test the press I have 5 or 6 grams of great full spectrum bubble(Orange Bud and bubblegum green crack resin) Any tips as never used a pump operated press. Double bags ? Microns? I know to go slowly and not too much pressure have pressed hash on the 6 ton but should I keep an eye on the gauge, how much pressure? Also 5 g isn’t much pre press or flat in a bag? Cheers Dabpressers

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I got a chance to get a couple first presses in.

I started with two 3.5g presses of some cheap Bubblegum popcorn I bought from the dispensary to use for experimenting. Both in 160 micron bags bottle tek style and went for 3 minutes. One at 190F and one at 200F. I ended up getting 12% on the former and 14% on the latter. Both turned into baby poop color gritty budder on the plates. I read @psychonaut mention sometimes this texture can create a dam preventing the oil from escaping the plates and I think this was the case here.

Next was 2g of Sour Joker at 185F at 3min in a 160 micron bag. Yield wasn’t great ~ 10%. I got a medium orange color pull & snap from it. I dabbed a bit and it had a beautiful taste - like sparkling sour peach candy. One of the tastiest dabs I have ever taken.

Last press was 3.5g Gorilla Glue at 185F using the dabpress prepress and bottle tek with 160 micron bag. I had planned to pull it at 3 minutes but took it closer to 4 as the oil really started flowing towards the end. Turned out as amber pull & snap and got an impressive 21% yield on the first press (another 3% on the 2nd).

I had pressed this flower previously on a flat iron and I always lost the cocoa and spice that comes through with the flower leaving just the funk undertones. The result with the dabpress was able to pick up quite a bit more of this flavor. With that nice yield, I will probably try and take this one at a mn even lower temp next time.

So far so good!

Awesome! Looks like you're getting the yields up. :clap:

Question on your material since it came from a dispensary. Did you check the RH of your buds when sealed in a jar before pressing? I recommend to jar them up with a RH gauge ASAP and let them sit in the jar for about 4-5 hours to check the stabilized RH. If it's under 55% you'll need to get some more hydration into the buds through a boveda/boost pack, or a paper towel moistened with some distilled water then taped to the inside lid. 58-62% RH seems to be the juice zone from my experiments and research.

For the autobuddering material I think pressing that stuff a little warmer is good if you're looking to try and keep the sap/oil consistency but even that doesn't do it with some efforts. My hydro buds seem to have the buddering effect moreso than my organic buds, could just be the cultivars tho :shrug:

Also pressing in a cold room can be problematic with buddering while pressing, my room stays pretty cool but when it's at it's coldest, low 50's, some of my hydro bud will budder up before the press is finished.

I never repress my pucks as I save them for washing, but I am pulling consistently about 3% yields in a grain alcohol wash with 4oz of pressed pucks, which I assume is getting "the rest" of the resin. That 3% also includes chlorophyll which I dont mind for edibles/canna caps.

Would be interesting to see what others yields are on the wash. I think that pretty much tells the tale of how efficient we are with our presses, and ultimately if our material was really as good as we thought?

My autos have all been fairly lackluster, I got 17.8% yield on swiss cheese auto colas yesterday with 1500 PSI @ 200F for 2.5m, dont think that one will give up much more until it's washed. I know I pressed it too hard as the oil started to get a darker green tint, so I figure the lil extra yield I got was pigment and plant matter.

New 10 ton driptech arrives beginning of next week! I need to get that pump. I’m almost out of flower for a few months as detailed above . But to test the press I have 5 or 6 grams of great full spectrum bubble(Orange Bud and bubblegum green crack resin) Any tips as never used a pump operated press. Double bags ? Microns? I know to go slowly and not too much pressure have pressed hash on the 6 ton but should I keep an eye on the gauge, how much pressure? Also 5 g isn’t much pre press or flat in a bag? Cheers Dabpressers

Congrats! The pump will be a lot like the bottle jack as far as how it works in the hand, takes probably twice as many pumps to close the plates as a bottle jack, those move the hydraulic fluid faster like a 3/8" NPT pump does.

I dont press hash so hopefully someone else can give their experience, but I've heard double bagging 25 or 37u filters work well. They say to stuff the filter with hash by hand tightly, make sure the filter is wrapped on the puck tightly, then use lower temps and pressure vs buds. If you have a gauge, you wanna keep the PSI around 600-800 PSI. Heat you want 160-200F. Higher quality/more delicate material you should go on the lower end of pressure and heat. My understanding is that you want the hash puck to sit on the heat for a bit to preheat it and get it melting before applying pressure, then just ease into the pressure slowly.

With the hr10t35v cylinder and pump with gauge, you just wanna get the math right for calculating PSI on the bag.

PSI on bag = (PSI on gauge x 2.25) / surface area of puck in sq/in

i.e. 4 sq/in puck (2x2") with 1000 PSI = 4000 lbs total force

1777 PSI on gauge x 2.25 = 4000 lbs total force

1777 PSI on gauge on 4 sq/in puck = 1000 PSI on puck

Last edited:

anda1anda2

Question on your material since it came from a dispensary. Did you check the RH of your buds when sealed in a jar before pressing? I recommend to jar them up with a RH gauge ASAP and let them sit in the jar for about 4-5 hours to check the stabilized RH. If it's under 55% you'll need to get some more hydration into the buds through a boveda/boost pack, or a paper towel moistened with some distilled water then taped to the inside lid. 58-62% RH seems to be the juice zone from my experiments and research.

I threw a Boveda 58 in with the herb Thursday night, but I don’t have a hygrometer yet. I am also going to order some higher humidity Bovedas. So your experience is that the 65’s were too high?

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I threw a Boveda 58 in with the herb Thursday night, but I don’t have a hygrometer yet. I am also going to order some higher humidity Bovedas. So your experience is that the 65’s were too high?

Yeah, but I only have tested it with 2 strains. Seemed to get a little moisture in my rosin as it had that sizzle when dabbing. I may try them again in the future. The boost 62% I'm using right now are working quite well.

Bunny

@psychonaut so your calculating a 2” x 2” puck under 1777psi on the gauge is 1000 psi on the puck?

You also mentioned to keep the gauge at 600-800psi ?

Im a bit confused What pressure for a 2x2 hash puck do you recommend ? 1777psi at the gauge or 600/800psi? I would probably feel it out anyway but curious about what to look for roughly on the gauge cheers

Last edited:
Top Bottom