Dabpress Rosin Plates

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Quick question for the dabpress crew. What are the threaded holes on the rear of the heat plates and also the sides of the bottom mounting plate for?

Thank you for your questions. The threaded holes on plates facing the rear of the unit are set screws to hold the heating rod tight inside of the platen. The sides of the bottom mounting plate I am not sure, we'll have Roger @dabpress.com explain those screws.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Lost?! These couriers need to keep track of our products! I PM'd you to provide me some details so I can look into it.

A few weeks back we had a customer in the USA who had their order held in customs for 2 or 3 days. I had contacted DHL at that time and they said that the product was no longer in their possession but in customs, and didn't have a lot of information to provide other than they reserve the right to hold all imported items for up to 30 days. In fact DHL USA had said customs "seized" his package, but that wasn't exactly correct, they had a 2 piece delivery and had to get them both together to process through customs.

Not great hearing this, but generally the item will be released within the timeframe and will resume delivery.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Just so your aware @psychonaut and Roger that the pre press mould (to suit many of the presses) is out of stock. You looking to re stock soon?

Was just about to buy as well :rolleyes:

We are looking to stock updated pre-press molds next month. As to current stock, we had a container sent to the US warehouse for amazon fulfillment which had all our pre-press molds. This was just in the last week. Now our amazon listing got removed once again. I'll inquire if these molds can be put up for purchase or what the status is. It's possible we've already sold out until next production which would likely be after our upcoming mold releases next month.

EDIT: Just heard from Roger and there are new 2x4 molds going up soon, waiting on pictures. It's now silver anodized.

@farmerpalmersnt those screws on the sides have no purpose.

Last edited:

dabpress.com

Manufacturer
Hello FC friends,

We create new 2x4" pre press mold, it is still anodizing but changing the color into silver.

dabpress-2x4-rosin-prepress-mold-retangle-mold-min.jpg

Dabpress-2x4-rosin-press-mold-anodized-min.jpg

dabpress-2x4-rosin-puck-maker-pre-press-mold-min.jpg

dabpress-bud-flower-pollen-pre-press-mold-rectangle-min.jpg

It is available right now.
We will send out a random color pre press mold.

1, Silver color mold ship out from factory warehouse.
2, Yellow and gray color mold ship out from America.

Well noted.

Thank you ALL

ColoVaper

Science...Whoo!
Press came in yesterday but unfortunately I am out of the state for a few days for thanksgiving. Had it brought inside the house for me so it’s safe and sound. I requested DHL to deliver a few days later but they didn’t hold it a few days like supposed to. Want to get home now so I can play with it! Have to wait until Sunday! The anticipation is killing me haha!

MonkeyTime

Press came in yesterday but unfortunately I am out of the state for a few days for thanksgiving. Had it brought inside the house for me so it’s safe and sound. I requested DHL to deliver a few days later but they didn’t hold it a few days like supposed to. Want to get home now so I can play with it! Have to wait until Sunday! The anticipation is killing me haha!
That sounds like time to plan and read if necessary!

Good luck!

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I'm really into a set-up of some kind here. It seems that once I settled on wanting a 3x5 plate, the only thing left is deciding how to handle the press purchase. I didn't want to mess with making all the adjustments to set the plates up all the time so my mind is between just the plate cage vs the all in one bj6t35 vs the driptech 10t35v.

With the current sale, the difference between just the plate cage and the bj6t35 is a little over a hundred which would be around the cost of buying a separate shop press. For another hundred you get into the 10t35v and a strongway pump,which gives you the extra 10 ton pressure and the perfect plate adjustment. The latter seems like the best deal, but dropping over $500 is still a big chunk of change for me. Right now I can buy rosin for about $40 a gram and flower at $5-6 a gram. That would be a lot of presses to make up the cost of the set up.

Can I ask what the warranty is on these units? I couldn't find it on the website. This would be a serious investment for me. Thanks.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Just pulled the trigger on the 3x5 10 ton driptech press, strongway pump, and a 2x4 pre press!!! Cant wait! Customer service has been great so far! been following this thread for a while and figured i would finally make an account.

Thank you for your business, I look forward to your review and thanks for joining FC!

Ohhhhh man! The anticipation would be killing me too! At least you'll unite with your press on the weekend =)

I'm really into a set-up of some kind here. It seems that once I settled on wanting a 3x5 plate, the only thing left is deciding how to handle the press purchase. I didn't want to mess with making all the adjustments to set the plates up all the time so my mind is between just the plate cage vs the all in one bj6t35 vs the driptech 10t35v.

With the current sale, the difference between just the plate cage and the bj6t35 is a little over a hundred which would be around the cost of buying a separate shop press. For another hundred you get into the 10t35v and a strongway pump,which gives you the extra 10 ton pressure and the perfect plate adjustment. The latter seems like the best deal, but dropping over $500 is still a big chunk of change for me. Right now I can buy rosin for about $40 a gram and flower at $5-6 a gram. That would be a lot of presses to make up the cost of the set up.

Can I ask what the warranty is on these units? I couldn't find it on the website. This would be a serious investment for me. Thanks.

We offer a 1 year warranty on the plates and rosin temp control box. After the 1 year warranty is up, the rosin temp control box can be replaced for only 50% of the cost of a replacement box. This is better than most companies which will make you purchase the replacement part at full price.

The plates and frame we don't expect any warranty issues as this is heavy duty construction that really only will be damaged through physical abuse and misuse.

If money is a concern, the best deal around right now is to get a 6-ton A-frame shop press and pair it with out 3x3" plate kit. That comes in at under $300.

In regards to our more expensive AIO units, I would recommend to shop around at the competition and compare your shopping cart prices, I understand that $500 is a lot of money, but you'll find that this press is priced far below it's value when looking across the rosin marketplace.

Buying the hr10t35v right now has some benefits for money savings. You'll get the 10% discount on the purchase of $399 or more for our black friday/cyber monday sale. You'll also get a free cylinder pre-press mold with the hr10t35v for the FC release promo.

I make my own rosin, even with caregiver purchased buds, for about $12/gr or less, home grown material obviously much much less. Compared to the $20/gr I was paying for BHO, in my situation I was able to pay for my entire press in a matter of a few months as I don't consume flower for medicine, only concentrates.

farmerpalmersnt

This was a test press at high temp and pressure with some very old (2 years) dry seeded critical kush bud. Not meant as a showy press, but to trial the driptech with a PTFE envelope.

More info on the uk420 site but here's a quick vid as I know some wanted to see the drip. I will be doing a couple of better presses with some decent bud and some fresh frozen bubble hash in due course. Didn't want to waste it on a stress test run. Happy to confirm the press handled high temps and held very high pressure no problem. Even able to blow out the PTFE envelope with the force when I pushed it to excess, so no issues with the 10 ton!!

I made up about 7g of it in my pre press and pressed with about half of my body weight, so not too tight. Cranked it shut with no bag at 220F. Wouldn't normally press at this temperature but thought this stuff would need coaxing. As soon as I felt it was moving along I nipped it up - not even registering on the gauge and laid it over a silicon sheet. Progressed until it started to drip at about maybe 800PSI. This happened very suddenly and didn't catch the start. Then upped to about 1200, held for 50 sec or so, then 1700, 2000, 2500, 4000. This is where flow pretty much slowed to a stop. Then I took away the rosin and cranked it right up as a tester. It blew out of the front and the force had also blown the teflon sheet out of the back!

For crappy old dry bud the yield was very impressive indeed, although I didn't weigh anything as it was just a test. A proper video will have to wait a while as I need to clear out all my existing press and kit.

Video is very, very boring - you don't get the same waterfall to watch! I might do the next one from below on a glass sheet or something...

farmerpalmersnt

Overall extremely impressed with this bit of kit - and coming from a 6 ton with cheap dhgate plates that I LOVED, this feels like a great upgrade for the money. Highly recommended.

Also worth mentioning that the puck was significantly dryer and less sticky than with my regular press, so I can see the extraction is more efficient. I don't believe this to be the pressure, and put it down to the significantly easier removal and recovery afforded by the gravity assisted driptech style pressing.

PTFE sheets did NOT like the high pressure though and I doubt there longevity even at lower temp/pressure. These are NOT dabpress items - just something I am playing with. I may go back to parchment as so little is left behind at the press it doesn't matter really anyway.

For me this is a godsend. I hate the ballache of picking rosin off sheets!

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Thanks for your detailed review @farmerpalmersnt it seems a lot of your rosin left the plates, and I presume that the PTFE sheet you were using was well insulating the rosin from the heat, so even terpene preservation on the drips clinging to the sheet at the edge of the plates.

Personally I am feeling like parchment is really the best choice for drip tech but always interested in finding out other methods and what works best. I don't mind having some rosin to collect off of the parchment but if the majority of it can be caught on a cold mat below that would be ideal.

I'll hopefully have some videos soon, perhaps this weekend. I'll do a driptech squish without parchment for @Abysmal Vapor though I am not looking forward to cleaning up my plates. I have a nice silicone spatula I can squeegie the plates with.

Then just some 10g pucks using parchment pulled tight with magnets then tilted forward for drip without any paper drag (hopefully!)

farmerpalmersnt

No problem. I'll follow up with a decent video once I have my work area clear again. I did think about a bare plates run, but I'm so not keen on the clean up. I'll have to do it at least once. Maybe I'll see how yours pans out first!! I don't mind going for parchment again as so little is left on the plates and easily wiped off with a silicone spatula.

The PTFE sheet softened a lot more in the heat than I expected (it was high at 220). I'll try it on a lower heat/pressure but don't think they are the best long term solution. The reading on the thermometer was no different with or without really so think its remained the same. Terps were better preserved presumably from dropping from the hot plates faster.

I'm vaping that rosin right now actually and its noticeably better than the 220 run I did on the regular plates. That does surprise me tbh, as I thought the impact of driptech on terp preservation would be minimal and was a bit of a sales thing. Perhaps another run for comparison is in order before I pull down the old press.

My other worry about bare plates is the impact of repeated long term pressing on the finish? Would it start getting a bit pitted faster and end up tricky to remove rosin from?

Baron23

Did you change the depth of "Part A" now so the puck will be completly pushed out,
i am asking bcs in the pictures it doesnt look like it would have changed..?

vxzply.png
The NewVape (@NewVape710) one is like that also. Drives me crazy. I did talk to someone at NewVape about it, not Edwyn but a guy named Chris, and it seemed like he just didn't get it.

He replied to me:

I normally take one side off, the side with the NV emblem on it. Turn it over and slightly push everything out.​

I mean, I get that...but "pushing out" is what is NOT supposed be required. Just make the inside insert height just a tad taller. Perhaps I'm missing something because this seems obvious to me but did not to this NV employee.

You are absolutely correct, when the middle piece is slid down, the insert and the top of the middle piece should be on a plane so that the puck just slides off.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
We offer a 1 year warranty on the plates and rosin temp control box. After the 1 year warranty is up, the rosin temp control box can be replaced for only 50% of the cost of a replacement box. This is better than most companies which will make you purchase the replacement part at full price.

That is very reasonable. I also don't doubt the quality of your products as I have been following this thread for some time and watching everyone's press videos. I also believe you get a lot for your money with a dabpress of any kind. I just have to find what cost I can justify to myself (and the misses). Mostly because I've already made some large purchases of other kinds recently.

Your recommendation of the 3x3 plates and an A frame was where I began, but then got wooed by all the other options. Have there been concerns with plates not lining up properly when you use one of those harbor freight presses? I was worried about the construction of those A frames which led me to the pre-set plate options.

farmerpalmersnt

Baron 23 - My pre press is like that too. Its not a big deal but it does just niggle me. I've even debated adding a cut out wooden riser.

And in answer to the above - no matter what there is slop in cheap presses, so without cages you will get some alignment issues. It isn't a big deal but can get irritating. That said, they do open wider and are a bit easier to clean up than caged ones.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
My other worry about bare plates is the impact of repeated long term pressing on the finish? Would it start getting a bit pitted faster and end up tricky to remove rosin from?

I dont think it would if using just hash/buds/nylon filters. Stainless steel mesh filters I would for sure use some sort of padding like doubled up parchment to protect from scratching the plates. The anodizing on the aluminum is actually much harder than aluminum itself.

That is very reasonable. I also don't doubt the quality of your products as I have been following this thread for some time and watching everyone's press videos. I also believe you get a lot for your money with a dabpress of any kind. I just have to find what cost I can justify to myself (and the misses). Mostly because I've already made some large purchases of other kinds recently.

Your recommendation of the 3x3 plates and an A frame was where I began, but then got wooed by all the other options. Have there been concerns with plates not lining up properly when you use one of those harbor freight presses? I was worried about the construction of those A frames which led me to the pre-set plate options.

I completely understand, that's the beauty of our offerings we have a lot of products to fit most rosineers budget.

Well the regular plate kits (uncaged) always have the problem of the top plate twisting on the axis that the screws in the collar mount to the ram. If the ram was square it wouldn't be able to turn but most shop presses come with a cylinder shaped ram. Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things. A heat resistant glove and you can twist it back so the corners are all aligned. It's an inconvenience at most. I've not had any disasters due to it personally.

The best points on the hr10t35v are the ability to affordably pair a gauge to the unit with the strongway pump, and also drip tech. Most everything else about the press, outside of it's portability, are not really big upgrades in function from any of the kits we sell.

Heat and pressure, that's the key really. Hair straighteners still do well pressing out grams of hash at a time, but for buds we need heavy duty pressure.

Last edited:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Never use stainless and generally press flower bagless. I don't get contaminants at all, and I don't think you should if you are pressing progressively and carefully. I don't like the waste with nylon bags, or the expense. Hash obviously have to but don't like throwing loads of stinky nylon bags away.

I've got into the routine of washing my pucks with 190 proof grain alcohol and generally pull 2-3% extra yields (including chlorophyll) so that's my way around the waste issue using filters. I agree though about the contaminants, most of our buds are high enough RH they dont turn to dust inbetween the plates and contaminants are not a big issue.

For me the filters are more to just get a good workflow and consistant results. I generally press 10g at a time using the same pressure to avoid over-pressing and getting blowouts.

@gunmetalshark I got an email in with Roger to verify the ram portion of the pre-press mold to see if it pushes the puck through completely. I expect that it doesn't as it looks to be the same as the two-tone. I believe our upcoming molds due to release next month will push the puck out completely though I wont know for sure until I get the prototype this weekend.

Last edited:

MinnBobber

@gunmetalshark I got an email in with Roger to verify the ram portion of the pre-press mold to see if it pushes the puck through completely. I expect that it doesn't as it looks to be the same as the two-tone. I believe our upcoming molds due to release next month will push the puck out completely though I wont know for sure until I get the prototype this weekend.
.......................................................................................................................
IMO, Roger need not re-do the whole pre-press mold. An easier, and better (IMO) solution is to just add a spacer/ a rectangular pancake piece that can be used (if wanted) to push deeper into the mold/ expel the pressed bud.

That's what my little cylindrical pre-press has-----separate aluminum slugs that stack into the cylinder for different loads.
That allows maximum flexibility for all situations!

Top Bottom