Dabpress Rosin Plates

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
@psychonaut That one looks awesome !
Wouldnt it be a bit more stable if the top legs are cut at an angle so they align with the horizontal ?
Edited:
Driptech capability is a great! Avoiding silcione paper at the pressing area is a big leap forward.

Last edited:
Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: pxl_jockey

anasrzi

Looks great and excellent for the newbie or cash savvy presser. Can the unit only take 3 ton or can it take a little more, perhaps five?

Neat idea with the drip tech touches too :).

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
@ACitizenOfCo Hey man! Now that I know a bit more about your situation, you should definitely go with the 3x5 caged for sure, maybe the 3x7. And that Dake would be exactly what I would pair those plates with. I think you would be frustrated with anything smaller given that you have a goodly amount of material to play with and you can still squish a nug at a time if ya want, like Mr Hackerman says. In your position, I 100% agree with @psychonaut that a set of dp plates & your own press is the cheapest, best way to go. Dude I am so glad you found FC, you seem like a great guy but other than that you should fit right in. :D

Why have 2 temperature controls, anyway? Does anyone set their bottom plate to a different temperature then their top plate? LOL
This. I have always wondered why 2 controllers were necessary. Is there a situation where having the ability for 2 temps would be of benefit?

EDIT: I immediately thought the same as @Abysmal Vapor on the angle of those two legs. But it might add more machining to the process, so that’s a consideration maybe.

Tbh, I would prefer that those “top legs” could be folded down for storage or perhaps an option for a non-tilting version? It would only be less material used so maybe a little more profitable? I know these things are always smaller IRL than the pics, so they probably don’t stick out too much and storage isn’t going to be an issue.

It’s looking like I will be ready to jump on this bad boy next month & grab the low low price! Others will hate me, but I think Roger really should sell it for $420. It’s not far off his promise and most folks aren’t going to be bothered by +$20 when it’s still a great deal. I’m amazed at how solid and beefy it is, it’s easy to see now what Roger meant when he said that was his first priority. That frame ain’t flexing and those plates will only go up & down lol. I can’t wait! Whooo!

Haven’t we all seen similar units for $1500-2500 from other manufacturers?

Last edited:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Thanks for the feedback folks!

@Hackerman pretty much only need 1 temp. I guess there may be some who use different temps for each platen but I have never discussed with them why it might be done.

@Abysmal Vapor that is a nice suggestion, I will pass that on to Roger.

@anasrzi the frame can withstand more than 3 tons force, but we only advertise the unit as a 3 tons. For rosineers who want more power in this form factor, we suggest they wait 2 months for our next unit which will have a similar build and function with larger plate size and more tonnage.

@Copacetic we sell individual plate kits which are much cheaper, 3x3" plates dp-rp33. That kit includes both platens and the rosin control box.

@pxl_jockey that is a great suggestion on the folding legs. I will mention this to Roger as well.

A couple of points on this new press. It's already post-production so what you see is what we are offering. If there are modifications we can make to the unit without altering the price (please know, right now this unit has the least amount of margin of our presses), the price is the most important part for us as a promise was made.

Please let your budget friendly vaporists who are looking to get into rosin know that Dabpress has a unit under $400, thanks for your support and interest!

@Hackerman

What do you mean by pressing butter?

I am not aware of this

When I make canna butter or oil, I usually use some kind of flower (vs rosin). When I strain it through the cheesecloth my old fucking arthritis wrists and hands can't squeeze hard enough to get all the butter/oil out of the weed so I take the cheesecloth ball and I put it between two large aluminum plates and I squeeze it all in my bench press to get all the butter out of the weed. (I have a rig to catch the butter/oil).

I increase my yield big time by doing this. It is amazing how much butter I have been throwing away all these years just from not squeezing hard enough.

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
When I make canna butter or oil, I usually use some kind of flower (vs rosin). When I strain it through the cheesecloth my old fucking arthritis wrists and hands can't squeeze hard enough to get all the butter/oil out of the weed so I take the cheesecloth ball and I put it between two large aluminum plates and I squeeze it all in my bench press to get all the butter out of the weed. (I have a rig to catch the butter/oil).

I increase my yield big time by doing this. It is amazing how much butter I have been throwing away all these years just from not squeezing hard enough.

That's a really good idea. I've always used a potato ricer to get the last bit out when I make it. I only have a vise, and not a press, but I might be able to rig something up. Thanks for the inspiration!

And that $400 price point is a great seller on the new press. It allows people to step into the rosin game with quality, but without a massive price tag. Great work!

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Hey @psychonaut How does this unit stack up alongside the Dabpress dp-bj6t35 as far as size and weight?

I'll have to get back to you on the weight. The height is about 5cm taller than bj6t35 unit, so it'll be several inches taller than a 2 liter bottle.

I'm sure you've tried ethanol wash with your pucks, curious why you choose to use your pucks this way with the cannabutter versus a wash, then decarb and infusion? I have weak hands too so I've always taken the path of least pain in my efforts.

Last edited:

Alexis

I know EXACTLY what you mean by this. That is probably the part I really dislike when making canna coconut oil- trying to strain all of the oil out of the muslin afterwards. Like yourself we have been using sunflower lecithin for several years to make the canna coconut oil and it sure does make a big difference but also it clings onto the oil in the cheesecloth and makes it even harder to strain it all out.

So that big Herb and lecithin bundle still has so much of the oil left inside it no matter how hard you squeeze and yes it does hurt my hands too lol!

I have considered some mechanical means of pressing the rest out but not too savvy at coming up with effective Solutions like this. What we have been doing for years is simply squeezing out as much as we possibly can, then making mega strong cups of cannabis tea by steeping with muslin bundle in boiling water and squeezing the oil out.

It's hard to judge the dose this way but that first cut can be a really special experience and has resembled a come up on a trip for me at times. We get several decent cups out of it over a few days before the strength and taste has faded.

And this tea is truly the most delicious drink in the world I wish I could start my day with this every day. But I would rather squeeze more out in the first place. I did consider and look into French presses and coffee filter type options but never decided on or tried those methods out.

Last edited:
@ACitizenOfCo Hey man! Now that I know a bit more about your situation, you should definitely go with the 3x5 caged for sure, maybe the 3x7. And that Dake would be exactly what I would pair those plates with. I think you would be frustrated with anything smaller given that you have a goodly amount of material to play with and you can still squish a nug at a time if ya want, like Mr Hackerman says. In your position, I 100% agree with @psychonaut that a set of dp plates & your own press is the cheapest, best way to go. Dude I am so glad you found FC, you seem like a great guy but other than that you should fit right in. :D

I'm glad I found it too! I really appreciate the design help.

A new issue in the saga. I'm in Northern Colorado, and probably dried for a day or two too long at 45%. I'm worried I may have dried too much. I have a way to try pressing my material prior to buying.

What started last night as a plan to trim up one plant turned into the realization that I dried too much. So I trimmed all 6 last night from like 7 -2:30. It was awful. By the end I was just pinching branches and running my fingers down them, popping buds off.

In the event that I did dry too long, are the following viable options?

1) Using some type of dry sift method?

2) Getting some bubble bags, (dude or man), and making then pressing bubble hash?

3) Setting fire to the pile and starting over?

4) Something else.

Thank you, everyone.

It was an incredible journey to Colorado. Two or three years ago, I collected seeds from Botanico, my second favorite dispensary in colorado; second only due to location. I ruined the first few crops for various reasons, but have kept the same 6 or 7 unidentified strains since popping the last of their beans.

This was my third successful harvest that I actually consumed.

It's weird; even though I produced it, a part of me is skeptical about whether I'll actually be able to produce clean rosin. I wish we could test our stuff out here. Can we, for any other coloradoans?

ACitizenOfCo,

Alexis

Mate I have been dealing with the exact same anxieties myself recently. 45% RH gives you such a short window to get everything trimmed up and jarrred between not being ready and being over dry less than a day later. And when you have quite a big amount there to be done you suddenly have a lot of work on your hands so it can be a cause of anxiety running up to it.

With all of our stuff which I felt was dried more than I would like it to be I just put them all into jars with 2 boveda packs per 1L Mason jar. This has brought the humidity back up to at least 60% or just about everything which went in too much below that for my liking.
It can be deceiving however. It can seem drier than it really is. Last year we had some I was convinced was too dry. I kept sealed with bovedas. Eventually I needed to burp, and the stuff cured magnificently, vapes perfect with lovely taste and cured jar aroma.

However I am pretty sure we did over dry quite a bit of our stuff this year because we had that lower humidity level and it was hot too. Some of it does appear to be a bit harsh to vaporize compared to what I would expect but maybe it will take longer to cure and can still improve in time.

I'm not too worried I don't think about pressing it I would like to have kept it my stuff but with the boveda packs the moisture level is up to the point where really it needs to come out of the jar for a few days to be at the right dryness for me to vaporize for my preference.

So I would maybe look at using some humidit6 packs. Also get some hygrometers. Im using these ones currently and I actually really trust them somehow they are both accurate within 1% it would seem consistently.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PXRD7G4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There has also been some discussion in this thread on hygrometers and ways to validate and check the accuracy. Anyway I hope that helps and try not to worry just do what you can and make the best of things, good luck.

@psychonaut A couple questions from some people at THCFarmer....

Is the 3 ton jack replaceable with a standard 3 ton jack if required?

Is it possible/recommended to use a bigger jack? (I already told him no to that).

Is there a video of it in use? There was some question of stability pertaining to smaller presses after seeing, "some clown and his Nugsmasher Mini trying to hold it down". LOL Reasonable concern.

I thought I remembered a video of the dp-bj6t35. How does that compare to this one in terms of overall size and weight?

Thanks psycho for all your help.

Hackerman,

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Got a question for those familiar with drip tech, about the dp-bj3t33. All of the rosin squishing video I have seen, it appears the rosin flows primarily to the front & sides as the parchment is folded at the back. I know that rosin escapes from the puck in all directions but there is a concentration towards the front even though the press is level.

Is this just the rosineer encouraging the flow off the plates by pushing the parchment down whilst pressing? The AIOs I’ve seen that are drip tech capable seem to tilt forward, I can’t think of one that leans back until this one. Not saying this is good or bad, I have no experience at all, so I’m honestly not trying to make a point or criticising. No reason that it has to work like others do, I’m just trying to understand.

How would you go about your drip tech with the dp-bj3t33 when the rosin will be flowing to the back? Won’t it be harder to tell how the squish and flow is going? Again, I have no clue so go easy on me!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I have been making my butter using rosin. It’s very good and the easiest method I’ve ever tried.

+1 I could never go back to edibles made from flower.

I would think this a waste of good rosin tho ?
Effective as it may be

Depends on what you're trying to treat; for patients with chronic pain IMO rosin edibles are the opposite of wasteful; very efficient.

My observations with pain management show that 50mg of rosin in an edible or capsule tends to retain effects a lot longer than vaporizing 50mg.

+1 I could never go back to edibles made from flower.

I agree. Flower made butter and oil tastes like shit (I have to make it real real strong for my tolerence issues so it tastes like shit).. Rosin made edibles taste like.... well, like the food you're eating. LOL

Plus, I just take rosin and mix it with a little coconut oil and lecithin and put it in caps. Way better than eating, IMO.

As far as cost. I seem to get get way better value making edibles with rosin than weed.... why? Because so much is lost when you have to SQUEEEEEEEEZE the oil/butter from the wad of weed in the cheesecloth.

No squeezing with rosin. Just mix it in and it disappears like sugar in your coffee.

I never really did a 'yield' test side by side. But, I am pretty sure rosin give me the better deal from a money standpoint.

And, personally, I don't like vaping rosin. Too many of the terps are burnt away when we press. I like to smoke good tasting flowers and....... yummy, my favorite.... full melt bubble hash. No better taste in the world.

I guess everyone is different. LOL That's what makes it a wonderful world. :)

elmomuzz

That just happened...
I am making my butter from trim made ice hash rosin. It’s a really inexpensive product for me. My last batch of brownies I used 6.5 grams of rosin. They packed a serious punch at over .500 mg per brownie. Dangerous in the wrong hands. :D

I'll have to get back to you on the weight. The height is about 5cm taller than bj6t35 unit, so it'll be several inches taller than a 2 liter bottle.

I'm sure you've tried ethanol wash with your pucks, curious why you choose to use your pucks this way with the cannabutter versus a wash, then decarb and infusion? I have weak hands too so I've always taken the path of least pain in my efforts.

Hello Psychonaut,

On instagram, I found a video of on instagram you using the 3x3 plates.

Can you talk a bit about your experience with the smaller plates?

I'm leaning towards them. How much harder are they to run? How much more prone to blow outs? Is there a steeper learning curve?

Have other people experience rosin degradation from larger plates with smaller runs? It's really between 3x3 and 3x5.

Thank you all for your experience and input!

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
@Hackerman Yes the 3-ton jack can be replaced much like what we can do with the bj6t35 unit. We only suggest to replace the jack if necessary, and to pair it with a bottle jack with the same (or close) size and dimensions. Use of a larger tonnage jack like a 6-ton would not be advised and could damage the frame and void the warranty. I don't have any video of it in use presently. I do have a video that shows a video around the unit then it being tilted to it's resting position. I'm not sure if that's helpful though for what you're asking. This unit is about 5cm taller than bj6t35, which is 18" high, so roughly 20". Weight wise I will have to get back to you.

@pxl_jockey It's a difference in design. The way you set your parchment paper up would be to have the open end facing the rear of the unit to allow you to drip when tilted that direction, or you could use no folds in your parchment. You could also use a big fold in the direction that you'll tilt the unit to catch the drips.

It would probably seem awkward at first to someone who's always used a unit that tilts forward. One benefit to having the unit tilt backwards with the bottle jack, you're able to access the hydraulics still with the handle.

With the units form factor, you could just manipulate the position of the press to suit your viewing needs. It's not so large it can't be moved into a position you prefer, perhaps viewing from the side?

@ACitizenOfCo The smaller plates are actually really slick as they heat up quickly and are about the perfect size for most of my personal pressings. Using any of our plate kits, which attach directly to the ram of the press, will have the issue of heat draining into the press unless you use an insulation layer between the ram of the press and where it makes contact with the top platen inside the mounting area. Without that insulation layer there the top plate will take longer to heat up and also be compensating for the extra mass it's trying to heat. As far as alignment, you'll have nice flat alignment however since the plates are not fixed into position (without building your own type of guides to keep the plates in perfect position, they can still rotate around the ram. If the ram's weren't round it wouldn't move like this on the top plate, but the bottom plate can certainly move if placed directly on the table plate of the shop press versus having something like silicone mat to help it stay in place via friction.

In short, the non-caged plates may require you to make adjustments during the press versus one with fixed or caged plates, you can focus your hands on other areas like clamping the parchment paper out of the way, and still operating the hydraulics. It's a little more to pay attention to, but I wouldn't say by much.

In regards to blowouts, that can happen anywhere, anytime, on any press, if the filter is not used properly. I did a run yesterday with the hr10t35 unit and the bottom folds on my filter (I use a sleeve that has 2 open ends) was not long enough and during the press the buds pushed downward and managed to find a way out of the filter and pretty much half of the puck squished out of the filter and made a bit of a mess on my squish, not a huge deal but I spent a lot more time picking plant matter out of my rosin. Filling the filter with too much material can also contribute to blowouts.

When you speak of degradation, are you talking about decarboxylation and terpene loss? I've found for my own personal use, rosin that's trapped on the parchment paper under the plates versus what's come out of the plates is a little less flavorful, yes, however most of my efforts have at least 75% of the rosin flowing away from the plates. Additionally, all of my efforts producing rosin, it still needs to be decarboxylated which means the cannabinoids should still be in their acidic form (mostly). Some decarboxylation occurs but it's not as much as one may think. The dabs actively bubble when vaporized on a nail.

I like to recommend for rosineers to think about the future when purchasing a press. 3x3" is great for 7g or less material, 10g if you have enough tonnage. If you are pressing only for yourself, or for you and a partner, you will likely be just fine and never feel the need for anything larger, but if you plan to squish for yourself and many others, it could be helpful to have 3x5" plates so you can squish more material at once.

I personally was using my 3x7" plates for quite a while, and then switched over to 3x5" plates and haven't missed the extra size. I'm only pressing a half ounce (flower) at once, or less. I also only press for myself. Rarely, I will have some buds to press for a friend, but they only bring around 7g at a time.

EDIT: In regards to making edibles out of dabable rosin, if you squish all your flower, that's all you have. It's far easier AND faster to make edibles decarboxylating the rosin in the oven for less than 10 minutes versus decarboxylating whole flowers, plus nothing to strain out.

Just take the decarboxylated rosin and add it to your fat source/recipe. Done. Now I've come around to washing my pucks with 190 proof grain alcohol to save my pressed rosin for dabs, the potency and flavor is nowhere of the same quality so the reason for using rosin is clear. So for me it depends on how much time I want to invest and how potent and clean tasting I want the edibles. For cannacaps that you are just going to swallow and never taste, the washed pucks oil is a good solution once it's decarboxylated.

Last edited:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Thanks. I will pass that on.

The weight is not 100% as we're working on the finishing touches, but it's looking to be 30 lbs.

@pxl_jockey I emailed the factory. I hope I am reading correctly into the translation but one of the reasons Roger designed the bj3t33 so the unit tilts backwards as such, it's to maintain upward pressure from the jack. I am just assuming here but I dont think the bottle jacks are designed to be used completely sideways or upside down, so that may be a point?

The upcoming hr10t35v unit will tilt forward, constructed with a hydraulic cylinder instead of bottle jack.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Thanks for your efforts sir, I’m good. Hey this is OT, but since you brought it up: what would be best practices to decarboxylate the rosin for edibles and such? I’m interested in everyone’s methods! TY!

pxl_jockey,
I used to decarb in the oven but after reading about how Gray Wolf does it, I always use a beaker and hotplate, now. No more guessing. When the big bubbles stop, the CO2 molecule is gone and the acid has converted.

Plus, it only takes a few minutes.

I do about a gram or 2 at a time. In a small beaker, I place the rosin and put it on the hotplate on low/low-medium. I use a temperature probe to monitor the temperature of the rosin. I never let it go above 240F. I do loose the terps that evaporate below 240F but I add terps back into my edibles so I don't care.

Then, after the big bubbles stop and the small bubbles form a ring around the beaker, I turn the temperature down to about 170F and add an equal amount of coconut oil and some lecithin. I have high tolerance issues so this is real real strong. Most people would use more oil to rosin. 3 to 4 to 5 times more oil than rosin. I like 1:1.

Mix well and use an eye dropper or pipette to put it in capsules.

My old way was in the oven. Placing the same small amount of rosin in the oven in a small Pyrex bowl, tilted on it's side to keep the rosin in a puddle. Then 240F for 40 minutes. Then, add the oil and lecithin right when it comes out of the oven and the Pyrex bowl is still hot.

My next method will be to sous vide the rosin. Not sure how I am going to sous vide such a small amount but, I'll figure something out.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Nice method @Hackerman I also like the sous vide idea, I wonder if it's in a vaccuum sealed bag if it will retain those terpenes?

I posted a method here a while back http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/bho-coconut-oil-medibles-in-10-mins.22200/#post-998255

Now a days I use parchment paper folded to have 4 sides, then I load the rosin on the paper and on a small baking sheet (like from a toaster oven). I put it into a 275F conventional oven and turn the light on to watch the activity. If you have a phone with a good camera you can turn your camera on and zoom in to help see the bubbling if it's difficult to see with the door closed. Once the rosin is no longer bubbling, or very very little bubbling, I remove it from the oven. At this point you can chill it and use it in a recipe later, or quickly transfer it while it's still hot into the fat in the recipe, then mix together, I like to use about 1 tsp of sunflower lechitin per gram of rosin as well.

Top Bottom