Dabpress Rosin Plates

Finally finished reading the entire thread, lots of helpful information! I was torn between the 10ton driptech or the 10ton mini, ended up ordering the 10ton mini mostly because of size/space, hoping I made the right choice! I previously owned a DIY press with lowtempplates cage setup. Can not wait to get back to squishing!

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Been chatting with Claire over at Dabpress and let me tell you guys, she has been absolutely wonderful. She was so professional and made sure that everything about my order was perfect. She gave me the option of waiting so everything could go in one shipment which saves me some money, it was really a stellar customer experience.

I paid the invoice this morning! Feels rather strange after wanting one, lurking and finally being involved in this thread for so long. Thinking about this and wondering exactly how long, I went back to my first post here:

Hiya @psychonaut & Roger @dabpress.com ! Haven’t been able to post recently but following the news and development of the smaller unit undergoing stress-testing right now. I was really happy that y’all are even thinking (much less cared) about that segment of the market! I’ve followed here from the beginning and thought that I would love a DabPress someday when I could provide meds for myself.

I can’t grow right now and so won’t be squishing 14gr, or even 7gr, in one go. I’d like to squish .5gr-3gr in one go, while that may seem silly to those rosineers with lots of experience. Even if my stash does grow one day, I will still be pressing only for me and as I’m medically retired, I’ll have the time to spend collecting small amounts. :D

I don’t want to do the straightener & clamp thing, don’t wanna torch anything, and so many of the other smaller solutions look like they’ll break fairly quickly with a little use. I think DabPress will do very well with this press indeed, especially if the price point is good, like all of the other DP presses!

EDIT: accidentally hit post! :lol: Anyway, that’s from August’18 and I’m finally there. Thanks Dabpress and FC for educating me about so much here and inspiring me to be better.

Last edited:

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
@psychonaut I have a nice big batch of Glookies (GG#4 X Thin Mint GSC) in the oven and I’m happy to report that going by the looks and just how incredibly sticky, that it’ll be a great strain for me to learn the basics of this little hobby/art. I’m going to look into some of those you’ve mentioned growing/pressing for future candidates and plan to scan back through the thread for the names of other top producers by fellow members here.

@SativaLover420 I got the 10T Mini, like you for the size/space reasons and it’s just the model I really wanted, it’s too sexy to ignore. When they discontinued it, I cried and when they brought it back, I knew it was fate! 10T might be overkill for my needs right now but I didn’t want to buy another later.
But also because it’s Stainless Steel! :drool:

Like you, I thought about driptech capability and when I looked into it, I came away with the understanding that driptech works best with large amounts and was intended to assist getting so much goodness off the plates. I’ll be pressing for one and like it fresh, so I got the 3.5- 7g prepress and will most likely stay in that range each squish. Unless for holidays, maybe I’ll do multiple 7g cylinders? Idk really :lol: but I do know that chances are we’re both going to be very happy with zero complaints! :tup:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Been playing around with 120 micron bags with lower temps (70c/156f), 5 mins from start to finish with 2500psi on the gauge for the last 30 seconds on a 10g 40mm puck, 1.05g,

img_20200105_170835-jpg.15471

img_20200105_170804-jpg.15472

Re squished at 95c(203f) for 3 mins to 3000psi for an extra 0.35 for a total of 1.4g so 14% return total..

img_20200105_170545-jpg.15473

corwin33

Hi
I just purchased a 10Ton Driptech (from dabpress), 3x5 plates
I now have a few questions after reading lots of posts and after squishing some buds.

As I have a 10ton press, what would be more efficient to press 3-6g at a time or would i have more return if I press 10-30g at once?
If I press 6-7g (prepress 30mm) the pressure recomended is 1000PSI (1.75" diameter puck), are there jauge more accurate between 0-1000PSI (I have the original jauge installed on dabpress press ?)

thanks

corwin33,

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Hi
I just purchased a 10Ton Driptech (from dabpress), 3x5 plates
I now have a few questions after reading lots of posts and after squishing some buds.

As I have a 10ton press, what would be more efficient to press 3-6g at a time or would i have more return if I press 10-30g at once?
If I press 6-7g (prepress 30mm) the pressure recomended is 1000PSI (1.75" diameter puck), are there jauge more accurate between 0-1000PSI (I have the original jauge installed on dabpress press ?)

thanks

I always seem to get the best returns using the small 30mm mold but it's not a whole lot different from the rectangle or even larger cylinder mold.

Unfortunately the gauge installed is proprietary to the OEM so the threading will not match up with other gauges on the market. You can install a better resolution gauge between your pump and hose if you need it. We have a gauge kit dp-gk1 available for a good price that has much finer resolution.

1000 PSI on the gauge is roughly 937 PSI on the material at 1.75" diameter, that's a great spot for pressure, and you could try going up though I would just keep it there.

corwin33

thanks for your response
is it complicated to change the gauge? do i have to refill oil after? will this jauge be available in you eu warehouse?
as the pressure i usually do a first squish up to 1000psi and then a second to 1500 sometimes 2000 and have very much bag failure (rosin at 2000psi is however very black usually, keep it for edibles)

corwin33,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
rosin at 2000psi is however very black
You might have your temperature too high if your rosin is overly dark, try 75c/170f to 85c/185f and see if that helps.:tup:
The pressure you are using sounds about right so the blowout might be because you apply the pressure too quickly, I usually take about 2.5 minutes to get to 2000psi with a 10g (2500psi at 3 min), 40mm puck and at that low temp I leave on for up to 5 minutes (less time if the flow has stopped, driptech).:)

LesPlenty,

corwin33

i forgot to say that I press first at 175° for about 3min30 (+30sec preheating) and the second pass at 95-100° so it explains the color too, my first pass ends in budder 90% of the time

one question, I see that some of you go up to 4-5minutes (till it rosin stop flowing), but how do you jauge press time when you get out with budder consistency (I mean I never see anything flow when budder consistency), plus I always think that two much time (even at 80) will degrade the quality of rosin, but maybe i'm wrong?

lastly i did a squich yesterday with a 90µ bag on a strain I'm used to get 22-24% return (usually with 120µ) and had a beautiful consistency (between budder and shatter, yellow) and had a 22% return, so i think i will try other batch with 90µ to experiment, does some of you use those 90µ bags for flower?

corwin33,
Reactions: LesPlenty

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I am currently pressing my 4 varieties of flower between 190-210F using 160u filters, about 1200 PSI at the material, for about 90 seconds, I compress the puck in about 30 seconds so the total time pressing is 2 mins. Some are runny and sappy, some are dry and crumbly. I like to aim for a flow of oil instead of a smear of budder, I always feel like it stays under the heat longer than it should have when it auto-budders during pressing. More often than not, it also gives the rosin a consistency that I don't prefer, crumble or dust. My preference is either a sap or a paste, so whatever temps get me there is what I press my material at.

corwin33

ok, i usually never goes past 1200 for better quality..
do you know if it is complicated to change the gauge on dabpress press? do i have to refill oil after? will this jauge be available in you eu warehouse?

as rosin consistency, I find budder consistency make a less harsh rosin on throat, but maybe its just me..

corwin33,

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
ok, i usually never goes past 1200 for better quality..
do you know if it is complicated to change the gauge on dabpress press? do i have to refill oil after? will this jauge be available in you eu warehouse?

as rosin consistency, I find budder consistency make a less harsh rosin on throat, but maybe its just me..

It's not complicated, but you will need a couple of crescent wrenches and some teflon tape to complete the installation. Some anti-foaming hydraulic jack oil would be good to have on hand to replace any fluid lost, you shouldn't lose much if you are fast!

I will check and see if we plan to stock it in the EU warehouse.

psychonaut,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I have had a helluva time with blowouts with trim when using the 2.5x4.5 bag for a 10g press.

I FINALLY think I am getting a grip on things. Only solution I've found is to slow my compression even more... seems to be working much better, but the last press required over 6 min from start to finish.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: Sick Vape

Sick Vape

Solar Dabs
The sound of a tearing bag got familiar too to me. Sizzling ...good, f.r.r.r.r.r.t not so good.
I tried to go a little faster today on a 3-4 gram puck/bag as it was smaller and f.r.r.r.r.r.t blowout before reaching any dangerous pressures.
Which supports @FlyingLow and @LesPlenty, slower means less blowout theory.

I happened to press some very damp material someday, which blew out much faster than the drier one.
Humidity might play a role for blowouts too.

I wish I could press more often. For scientific reasons of course :D

Sick Vape,

Sick Vape

Solar Dabs
So true. Just sometimes experience is not for free.

I got me a dabpress hybrid nail 220V/80W coil, as there was some spare place in the box.
After setting up (in the sleeping room) and heat soaking a while, the coil/nail would not stop to make little clicks, which I found very annoying for my situation.

Dabpress immediately sent me replacement PID to resolve my problem!
(On a side note: Interestingly customs/dhl charged as much fees for this replacement as for a whole press. Customs never stop to amaze us here. They are pretty arbitrary it seems. Nothing dabpress can do anything about, I think)

In the meantime I found out that an autotune (unofficial, do on you own risk) does resolve this problem for me. I cannot tell if the nail surface temperature gets better or bader by this, as I cannot measure. But it stays quiet now and works still.

I did not like the carb cap and how it fits, exchanged it and added a terp pearl or two, which improves the performance for me. For my current glass it is a little long, but works ok.

It seems to be a solid device. If the PID should fail, it can easily be exchanged.

Last edited:
Sick Vape,
Thanks dp, for a great set of plates.

I like to go around 165F for pressing most of my strains (or 205F hot press for yield testing in sample batches). I preheat 30sec (10 for my hot press testing) then I slowly ramp to full pressure over the course of 4minutes 20seconds (more like 0:45-1:30 for hot).

I’m currently crushing hand packed bottles; I gotta work on my prepressed bottle game, I just couldn’t seem to get the yields I was shooting for on the first press and had to re-squish them.

ragnorokk,

btka

Force, psi, pressure gauges, and how to calculate psi at your material. Master Class

found this on reddit:

"PRESSURE GAUGES THAT READ IN PSI ONLY

Next Up we have the more in depth math for pressure gauges that read in psi and don't have a specific hydraulic cylinders diameter paired to it.

For these style of hydraulics, the PSI reading is the current oil pressure being supplied by the hand pump, and we need to take into account the hydraulic cylinders active surface area. (The active surface area, is the surface area of the hydraulic cylinder's ram on the flat face.)

The next bit of math will be specific to BVA low profile cylinders, but most suppliers do have specifications for their cylinders so you can cross reference specific numbers that relate to your hydraulics.

BVA LOW PROFILE CYLINDER SPECS

First things first, with this info here we can already double check out math to ensure we are on the right track.

We will take the 10 and 20 tons for reference at the moment.

We want to look at the internal pressure at capacity which is the max psi of the oil that can be supplied to the hydraulic cylinder (the max value you should be putting on your pump gauge)

With these max psi values, we can then multiply them by their respective cylinders's effective area.

For the 10 ton cylinder, we take 8511 psi, and multiply it by 2.35 square inches, which sits us at a pretty 20000.85 pounds of force, or 10 tons.

For the 20 ton cylinder, we take 9153 psi, and multiply by 4.37 square inches, which gets us to 39998.61, just under 20 tons.

Hitting Specific psi at material: (Desired psi at material x material surface area) / cylinder effective surface area = psi required on gauge

so, lets use the 20 ton for reference in this case and we want to hit 1500 psi on a 3x4 (12 square inch) material pack.

1500 psi x 12 square inches = 18000 pounds of force needed to hit 1500 psi on 12 square inches

18000 pounds of force / 4.37 square inches ( cylinder effective surface area) = 4118.99 psi required on your pressure gauge.

The major thing to note with the psi style pressure gauges is that they are reliant on knowing your cylinders effective area to know the force being supplied."

https://www.reddit.com/r/rosin/comments/a7bya1/force_psi_pressure_gauges_and_how_to_calculate/

Can someone help me to understand and tell me how I would calculate with for my
10 Ton Driptech Rosin Press - 3x5 Inches dabpress with Hydraulic Hand Pump with Gauge (dabpress)...

BTW I want to press bubble how much psi with 2x4" bag (the dimensions of the prepressed bag with bubble will be around 2x0.5") ... and which temperature ( I saw from 120 to 220/230 f on youtube videos and so)? I want to use it for jar tech experiments... and should I double bag to prevent blow outs? ... on youtube they double bag most of the time... any other important things to take care or consider?

Top Bottom