Dabpress Rosin Plates

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Finally pulled the trigger on my Amazon cart earlier today...
Stepping up to the larger pre-press mold, 2.5"x4.5" 160 micron bags, and some new hygrometers.

I am all for larger squishes and less work in 2020!
Cheers, and happy holidays all!

@KhanAbyss ~ Can you share with us some details about your press? Your process? What was the material? How much was your press and return? Looks like straight fire!

KhanAbyss

Finally pulled the trigger on my Amazon cart earlier today...
Stepping up to the larger pre-press mold, 2.5"x4.5" 160 micron bags, and some new hygrometers.

I am all for larger squishes and less work in 2020!
Cheers, and happy holidays all!

@KhanAbyss ~ Can you share with us some details about your press? Your process? What was the material? How much was your press and return? Looks like straight fire!
This press was 2 x 5 gram pucks , pre pressed in a dabpress cylinder mold , and folded inside 160 micron sleeves (leftover from cutting bags to size).
Pressed them at 210°f for 3 minutes after the 30 second warmup .
Strain is Shoreline and it is really fresh material .
Got about 1.5 grams return .

LesPlenty

Company Rep
So I gave the prepress and 10t a workout today, I actually applied a bit of pressure via my Record 1 Ton vice and was easily able to load 14g into each puck,

img_20191128_230112-jpg.14951

I kept the pucks compressed with some clamps until I was ready,

img_20191128_230039-jpg.14952

I tried out some new Blast Paper from Ozbongs (It is horrible to use compared to my Woolies brand). The Oz fit easily between the plates,

img_20191128_225957-jpg.14953

I was on 85C, 2 minutes of slowly adding pressure to 4000psi(gauge) then at 2:45 up to 4500psi for a total of 5 minutes on the plates,

img_20191128_225907-jpg.14954

Only 3.6g initial return,

img_20191128_225840-jpg.14955

I upped the temp to 100c and pressed up to 5000psi on gauge for another 4 mins for an extra 0.1g,

img_20191128_225807-jpg.14956

Really crappy buds from a poor crop from Oct 2018, glad I can turn it into great rosin..

img_20191128_230818-jpg.14974

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Thanks for sharing @LesPlenty ! Pressing Oz's seems appropriate =) I like that you kept your pressures in the 1k PSI range. Too bad it's not a huge yielder but I see some better double patty extractions soon no doubt :tup:

Good color too considering your prepress pressure and age of buds!

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Just finished my first 25 pack of 160 μm filters so I did a single 20g puck prepared in the vice again then held by the clamp until I was ready,

img_20191129_215302-jpg.14978

I think I could pack a single Oz puck but the following pics have put me off,

img_20191129_205349-jpg.14979

Notice the green pushing out? I heated the puck for 2 minutes before going to 1500psi (gauge) at 80C when I noticed the bulging green so I aborted the press at 3 minutes to remove the blown puck (recovered 2.6g) and repack it pressed it again for 5 mins at 2500psi (gauge) at 90c for an extra 0.2g.

img_20191129_215129-jpg.14980

Came out pretty good in the end,

img_20191130_000840-jpg.14982

:tup:

LabPong

I have not used a press with separate controls for both plates. Is there a general temp range to use for the offset of the top plate in relationship to the bottom? Like 3-5 degrees less than the bottom plate temp setting?

Sick Vape

Solar Dabs
I tried a rosin painting too:
I was not really successful. :D Maybe I could say I tried to copy the famous painting of Rothko,
"Transparent rosin sunset on white parchment" :D

This is about half a gram of rosin from flower pressed at 99°C, very slowly increased to 1500 psi (gauge), 30mm/5g puck 160u bag (sorry, no time, maybe 5 minutes all in all).
Very finely spread as it was too liquid to collect. At lower temperature and the next day it was possible to collect. It did darken and later budder up a little, but more or less kept a liquid state.
I passed the 20% mark slightly, whoopee :)
And it is great. Somehow the taste gets stronger after a couple of days.

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
With some local sales I restocked a bit and picked up a few different strains of flower this week. As I already went overboard on vape equipment, I had my rations cut on funds for herb. (seems like I put the cart before the horse). Anyway, I only have 3g of each different strain.

In making the most of each press my plan is to store each strain in a small airtight mason jar with a 62 boveda for at least a week before moving forward with any presses.

Assuming I end up with puck of just under 3g for each, accounting for removing large stems, am I still best to use a mesh bag for each press? I'm thinking with pucks this small I might be able to use the leftover bag trims from previous presses. I'm hoping the smaller puck sizes won't affect yield too much. I will heat soak for about a minute before pressing out.

I look forward to experimenting with amounts of pressure and temp settings. It takes me about 2 weeks to go through a half gram of rosin, so the trials will be going on for some time. :)

With their sale price and extra seasonal discount.. pulled the trigger and ordered a dp-bj6t35 6 ton. Can't wait....been eying this one for quite some time. :)

Congrats, I love mine.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Can the 3x5 plates fit side-by-side 10g pucks from the Large cylinder prepress molds?
...I think it may push out the sides, but I'm tempted to try.

I am also curious, do any of you mess with directional folding of your parchment paper?
I usually just put in a couple sheets and go for it.

started@52

Can the 3x5 plates fit side-by-side 10g pucks from the Large cylinder prepress molds?

I am also curious, do any of you mess with directional folding of your parchment paper?
I believe you can but I swear my yield decreased when I went up on bag size from two 3.5g 2x4” bags to one 7g 2.5x4.5” bag. I probably just didn’t get the heat and time down right but I went back to 2x4” bags. I’m sure you will have better results and hope you share them.

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
40mm pre-press'd pucks end up 2.5" in diameter - that means they have to touch in the middle and would cover edge to edge. I think 3x7 or 5x7 plates would be needed to press 2 x 40mm pucks. I am currently using a folded envelope to press 2 x 30mm pucks horizontally - but I'm not sure it's beneficial or habit.

LesPlenty

Company Rep

I have done 2x 14g pucks no problems, I did fold the sides to stop leakage on the sides but they were not needed with the low yielding buds I was pressing with plus driptech. (see up at post 3409):tup:
I have found I can fit 1 gram per mm in the 40mm prepress, my 28g puck would not fit in the gap of my plates (25.3mm). I might try 2x25g pucks at once just to see what the maximum amount that is possible to press at once with the 10t.:myday:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep

Definitely. @gunmetalshark has a number of videos with 2x 10g pucks side by side using dp-pm40r mold and 2.5" wide filters. It's a tight but sure fit on 3x5" platens. You need about 5-6 tons of force for it.

@LesPlenty has some dual 40mm pucks as well, and has championed 1oz squish using 14g in each puck without a blowout.

The folds are pretty much needed with that much material or it'll just gush out and make a mess.

@started@52 I see a decrease in yield with larger amounts too, extending the time will help. The more material or more dense the material (clamp assist) tends to take longer to extract IME.

btka

what is the purpose of directional folding?

Top Bottom