1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Dabpress Rosin Plates

Discussion in 'Vapor Related Equipment' started by dabpress.com, Jan 19, 2018.

1. psychonaut

psychonaut Company Rep

:tup:

If you can find them, they are commonly called "Arbor plates" or "Shop bed press plates" here in the US. Be sure it's rated to at least the tonnage of your press and the dimensions fit across your worktable.

JCat and MonkeyTime like this.
  2. MegaMan2k

MegaMan2k Well-Known Member

Yes exactly, thanks
    [​IMG]

Still not able to find any tho, ive sent a message to the storefront that sold me my press if they would happen to have any that fits

Guess im in no rush if its acceptable to use them the way they are fitted in the picture?

Did a single test press without any trouble- but there was a very loud clicking sound when i got to around 9-10 tons, made me kinda scared- Just the springs? Normal?

:-)

psychonaut, JCat and LesPlenty like this.
  3. LesPlenty

LesPlenty Well-Known Member

I hope this is on thread topic enough,
    If you are like me, the sight of rosin left behind on the edge of a pressed puck glistening in the light makes me feel like I have missed a bit, even with over a 20% yield.
    I just watched @ohmygodimsohigh (Troy) video on cleaning the new Boundless Terp Pen ($30 worth, how can they make stuff that cheap?) Almost at the end he describes how he likes to use the pen to bab straight off the edge of the bag, great idea, but I would say to do the little preheat to pick up the rosin so you do not get the nylon too hot. (handy for people like me that cannot be bothered with processing pucks):tup:
    Click to play YouTube Video

https://bndlstech.com/product/terp-pen/
    These were on sale last week for $25, so shop around.:myday:

Edit; I really like mine, wish I had got 2 as @Hackerman says, pretty short battery life (long enough run times to do the job) but so convenient and hits hard.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    psychonaut, BabyFacedFinster and JCat like this.
  4. MegaMan2k

@JCat Did you test 1 yourself yet? Im currently on the look out for a pen, this one is almost loaded like a nector collector tho xD...

psychonaut and LesPlenty like this.
  5. Hackerman

Hackerman User

You didn't ask me but I totally love mine. And, yes, as you said, it loads like a nectar collector, which is the best feature to me. No messy dab tools and stringy mess. Just dip and sip. I love mine.

The only down side is battery life. I am a chain vaper so mine only lasts a few hours. However, they charge VERY fast and I am going to get another one so I can rotate them.

6. MegaMan2k

Cool thanks for reporting back hackerman,

Maybe this little thing could actually help lower my tolerance a bit xD

My m8 sold me a "E. Ross 4.0 enail" like 6-7 months ago, I cant really remember what has happend and was has not happend since that day.

psychonaut and invertedisdead like this.
  7. btka

btka Well-Known Member

Like the terp pen also... and of course my dabpress too..

8. BabyFacedFinster

BabyFacedFinster Capo di tutt'i capi

To help keep things on topic, I'd add that the whole reason for buying anything related to rosin is because of my ability and enjoyment using my Dabpress. Now that I have the ability to press my own organic herb, I am always on the lookout for how to expand my enjoyment using rosin.

With that said, I was amazed by @LesPlenty's post, because he was watching the same video I was, probably about 3 days ago, and I also bought a terp pen (from PIU who has them for $25 right now) which should be here tomorrow.

I thought about getting the bits off a pressed, bagged puck but worried about melting the nylon.

BTW, I have done a lot of sampling between the wax I recently collected at 190F and the pull/snap that came from the same herb when pressed at 220F. While the wax was a very cool product and an easily usable form, the return was less and more importantly, I didn't notice a difference in flavor or effect between the rosin collected at the 2 different temps. I will test out this observation a few more times, but if I continue to notice little difference in flavor and effect between the two temps, then I'm going to stick with the 220F temp and get the most yield I can. There is always post-processing to mess with.

btka, psychonaut, LesPlenty and 4 others like this.
  9. elmomuzz

elmomuzz That just happened...

I also get the best yield at 220 and even if I'm blindfolded I can't vape the difference between rosin pressed at 180-200-220. So I stick with 220.

10. LesPlenty

I am finding the lighter colored, lower temp/pressure rosin to be a bit more flavorful and a lot cleaner on my Halo than the darker color, higher temp/pressure pull'n'snap and shatter to not quite have all the flavors, still good, just missing some of the lower temp crumble stuff. I think the darker rosin seemed to hit a bit harder though...more testing needed.:science:

11. tepictoton

tepictoton Well-Known Member

I agree with @LesPlenty, I can taste the difference too.

I do think a lot has to do with the material being pressed. I myself find the difference that can be noticed when pressing at different temps when pressing fairly fresh material (one to 3 weeks into the jars) a lot bigger then when pressing longer cured material.

12. pxl_jockey

pxl_jockey Well-Known Member

@psychonaut do you know if Roger is sending stock of dp-hr10t35 & pump w/gauge to the EU warehouse before the big BF/CM sale?

Hell, it just hit me (again) that the UK may not even be in the EU by then! :uhoh: God I hope so, I get claustrophobic just thinking about that reality...

13. psychonaut

psychonaut Company Rep

@pxl_jockey that's the goal, will see how the EU works with us to get our shipments in. Here in the US there have been delays in customs, so stocking is taking longer than anticipated presently.

14. pxl_jockey

:clap: Good to know :tup: I can hardly wait to contribute in a meaningful way. I’m really glad that I’ve been following along, getting a free education. And again my man, just amazing response time and no bs answers - I love the dabpress ethos. :peace:

15. tepictoton

tepictoton Well-Known Member

@pxl_jockey I just got a mail saying the pump arrived in EU warehouse... The press already was available from Europe.

If you have material to work with, then you should not doubt anymore and just get the press;) pressing rosin yourself is oh so satisfying...

Alexis, LesPlenty, psychonaut and 3 others like this.
  16. Alexis

Alexis Well-Known Member

Hello guys. Long time not been here in this thread. So today I went to my friend Dave's house to sell him my 6T Bottlejack Dabpress after over a year idle, packed in a box.

I only ever did one single press, so I never actually got to practice and learn the ropes for myself and that was a year ago and I forgot pretty much everything I picked up in advance of my first press.

So I was really sketchy about going round there and passing on any and all knowledge and directions about pressing in general and the model itself.

I really wanted to give Dave a good idea to get him started but I wasn't able to be much help at all, partly due to having low brain power.

I gave him my slick paper (i hope you know which one I mean I bought it after it was recommended to me by one particular rosineer, before learning from several respectable members here and elsewhere that they cannot work with this one unless they use bags I think it was because it is too slippery ).

And I gave him all of the filter bags which I picked up with the press. This is where it was a bit tricky to give him any useful advice because I never practiced with the slick paper nor with straight nugs and no filter.

So I suggested he get some parchment paper, stick a 0.5 g nug in at 190 fir 2 mins to 2 mins 20 secs, and have a play.

But I promised him I would email him some Youtube links on the model, the bag tek and pre-press mold, and anything else to assist him.

So Im just looking on Youtube now at both Roger and @psychonaut 's channels (easy bro hope you are doing real good and still really appreciative of all of the advice and Direction you gave me last year).

So I will do my best to to shuffle useful and appropriate resources my friend's way but my brain is not very competent currently. So just reaching out in case I miss the obvious, or beat round the bush, if anybody has any no brainer links, vids or resources which sound like a suitable induction.....

I and Dave wouid really appreciate it. I feel a responsibility to try and help him out a little more because he works a hell of a lot and he is strictly not into forums otherwise I would just have directed him here.

But no importance I'm pretty sure we can figure all this out on our own just thought I would drop in case there is something useful I would otherwise miss.

Thanks guys, hope you all are doing well in life. Amazing herb we harvested again just recently. Lots more potent than ever before. Still recuperating from the hard work (for me anyway) of it.
    :):tup:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    LesPlenty and JCat like this.
  17. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

direct him here. allow him to read up as well.
    Real cool of you to get him going on the right foot!

Moses Baca likes this.
  18. MegaMan2k

Just got raided,
    they didnt take my dabpress plates!

only my terps too strong for these haters lol

pxl_jockey, Moses Baca and LesPlenty like this.
  19. pxl_jockey

@MegaMan2k wtf?! Just got raided?! I didn’t think shit like that happened anymore. Don’t the police have real crimes where you live? Is your house also a drug den? That’s just nuts, and while I am so glad your plates weren’t confiscated I gotta know what did they take? You seem fairly chill about it, is that sort of thing common? I would be losing my shit! You’re one cool melter-man!

20. LesPlenty

I just felt a bit ill, hope nothing bad comes out of it...damn:myday:

MegaMan2k, pxl_jockey and Moses Baca like this.
  21. DogBoy

DogBoy Well-Known Member

...it's the real world after all...

...along those lines I have developed some complaints in regards to my '35v press...

...after noting how signifigent temperature is it occurred to me it might be a good Idea to see what the temperature of the plates actually were rather than just going by the settings and readings on the PID...

...it would seem the numbers on the PID are general indicators rather than actual values...

...they are off by 10 or 15 degrees...

...the values are not the same on both circuits even though the readings are...

...the top plate runs 5-7 degrees cooler than the lower plate at the same settings and readings...

...I have seen up to 15 degrees of variation in temperature in different areas of the plates surfaces as well...

...this can make it difficult and tedious to set a proper temperature...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    pxl_jockey, LesPlenty and Moses Baca like this.
  22. MegaMan2k

They showed up because someone had reported me,
    I only produce for my self and i dont sell, and the only reason i use is to deal with pain -.- and very few people know im into cannabis so its sadly someone close to me.

Im in Denmark so im kinda used to the 1800th century mindset around here, even tho its lame
    Lost like 200-300 grams of dry herb guess they will report back with precise weight of my current stash-

Also there was 8 grams of rosin in the fridge they didnt even find,
    and also a bag with 400grams of left over pucks that they didnt find either.

I dont have it in me to care about these low lifes tbh :D

23. LesPlenty

What are you using to measure your temps?
    I had the same problem using a cheap K-Type thermometer, the wire probe delivered with most K-Types are that cheapo wire, I replaced mine with a hard nail type probe and my plates now read the same as my probe, IR guns can sometimes be put off by shiny plates too.:tup:

At least you weren't left 'Dry':tup:

24. psychonaut

psychonaut Company Rep

@DogBoy had you made any adjustments to the configuration menu settings on the PID modules? The accuracy should be within 2-3% so at 200F this would be around 4-6F off at most.

Like @LesPlenty, I also recommend to use multiple thermometers to measure your plate temps. I have 3 that I use because my IR gun is the least accurate, but the other 2 show within 1-2F.

Also, be sure to measure your temps after the plates have had time to saturate, I recommend to wait for the set temp to settle for at least 5 minutes after reaching temps, before taking measurements.

Anyhow, if both plates are doing the same thing I would be suspicious of your thermometer, it is unlikely you have 2 defective PID modules, or 2 defective heating rods, or 2 defective thermocouples.

25. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

My temps were spot on (within 2-3*) when I last checked. Either your measuring instruments are off, or your temps are just out of calibration. If the later and you know your temp variation, simply accommodate for the variation and you should be able to dial in some consistent results.

@mega~ that is some scary shit! Production brings on all sorts of issues, even in the states [I wouldn't fuck with it outside of a legal state]. Glad you got off with just a wrist slap!

Moses Baca and LesPlenty like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors