Dabbing charas/bubble hash! (?)

vezj420

Hi all...so this is my 2nd post, meant to be a follow up to my intro story where I talked about Indian Charas. The stash that I happened upon was a so-called "super cream" from the valleys of North India! So sticky that it almost seems covered in turpentine...luckily not actually the case. :brow:

This charas has been so good and intriguing that it led me down a new voyage of discovery into the world of concentrates, vaporizers and modern hash techniques! It is like I have re-discovered MJ even after all my years of use (15+ years).

Basically, I didn't want to waste the hash by rolling it into Js. The next option was smoking in a pipe/bubbler (which I did, for some time - even got some hemp wick for it too) but this was getting too harsh on the throat and lungs, even with hemp wick.

I then went ahead and bought (hindsight - wasted money on) a couple of "pen" wax/oil vaporizers - since I'm in India, these were mostly Yocan/other Chinese-branded silica-wick atomizers. Although I loved their portability, hits from these combustion "vaporizers" also got too harsh for me to handle on a regular basis. And it was still "smoking", after all...

It was at this point that I remembered my time dabbing honey oil with a buddy in the States. I also did some learning on dabbing temperatures and researched about all the modern solvent and solvent-less hashes! I figured if my charas was close enough to "full-melt bubble" hash it may actually be dabbable (sort of). I was then inspired by this guy who talks about the joy of dabbing bubble hash after suffering a couple of bad BHO runs:

So I went and got myself a little oil bubbler through an online retailer in India (along with some other butane-related accessories). Came with a little glass nail and dome. This was an interesting find in itself as I had not expected a piece/market here in India for oil consumption - its quite possible that there are like-minded individuals just like me here, but they are few and far between.

After managing to crack the nail after like 5 uses, I went and ordered both a Ti and quartz nail from dhgate.

An image of the bubbler with the quartz nail. Notice I also got myself a drop down adapter...

Another shot with the Ti nail

So the result? Meh, if not done correctly (took me a couple of tries with both nails), but AMAZING if you do it correct! The flavor of the charas truly comes out when dabbed instead of smoked...and it tastes like the flowers of Parvati valley themselves !
(that's where the most famous cream charas originates from in India)

Tbh, nails from dhgate/China really aren't that great...the Ti seems to lose heat rapidly (unlike a well made Gr 2) and the quartz nail seems to be always either too hot or too cold. But, I find the Ti nail to be much more suited to the job - it retains just the right amount of heat for a nice flavorful hit which can then be complemented with use of a carb cap.

The Ti nail is a breeze to clean as the ABV (?), if you can call it that, becomes a blackened, powdery heap of plant material (which doesn't seem combusted) which I can easily scrape off the nail.

Overall, not as clean as an oil/full melt dab, but this sure seems to work well! :freak:

What about you guys? Have you, like me, tried to dab non-full-melt hashes? I'm sure you have...let's hear those experiences! Also, any pointers in case I'm doing anything wrong/not ideally? Suggestions for other methods are also welcome, although I am already very familiar with most portable vapes (thanks to FC mainly).

In case you guys are wondering, I have pressed the charas into rosin as well, but that's a story for another thread! :haw:

herbivore21

Hi all...so this is my 2nd post, meant to be a follow up to my intro story where I talked about Indian Charas. The stash that I happened upon was a so-called "super cream" from the valleys of North India! So sticky that it almost seems covered in turpentine...luckily not actually the case. :brow:

This charas has been so good and intriguing that it led me down a new voyage of discovery into the world of concentrates, vaporizers and modern hash techniques! It is like I have re-discovered MJ even after all my years of use (15+ years).

Basically, I didn't want to waste the hash by rolling it into Js. The next option was smoking in a pipe/bubbler (which I did, for some time - even got some hemp wick for it too) but this was getting too harsh on the throat and lungs, even with hemp wick.

I then went ahead and bought (hindsight - wasted money on) a couple of "pen" wax/oil vaporizers - since I'm in India, these were mostly Yocan/other Chinese-branded silica-wick atomizers. Although I loved their portability, hits from these combustion "vaporizers" also got too harsh for me to handle on a regular basis. And it was still "smoking", after all...

It was at this point that I remembered my time dabbing honey oil with a buddy in the States. I also did some learning on dabbing temperatures and researched about all the modern solvent and solvent-less hashes! I figured if my charas was close enough to "full-melt bubble" hash it may actually be dabbable (sort of). I was then inspired by this guy who talks about the joy of dabbing bubble hash after suffering a couple of bad BHO runs:

So I went and got myself a little oil bubbler through an online retailer in India (along with some other butane-related accessories). Came with a little glass nail and dome. This was an interesting find in itself as I had not expected a piece/market here in India for oil consumption - its quite possible that there are like-minded individuals just like me here, but they are few and far between.

After managing to crack the nail after like 5 uses, I went and ordered both a Ti and quartz nail from dhgate.

An image of the bubbler with the quartz nail. Notice I also got myself a drop down adapter...

So the result? Meh, if not done correctly (took me a couple of tries with both nails), but AMAZING if you do it correct! The flavor of the charas truly comes out when dabbed instead of smoked...and it tastes like the flowers of Parvati valley themselves !

Tbh, nails from dhgate/China really aren't that great...the Ti seems to lose heat rapidly (unlike a well made Gr 2) and the quartz nail seems to be always either too hot or too cold. But, I find the Ti nail to be much more suited to the job - it retains just the right amount of heat for a nice flavorful hit which can then be complemented with use of a carb cap.

The Ti nail is a breeze to clean as the ABV (?), if you can call it that, becomes a blackened, powdery heap of plant material (which doesn't seem combusted) which I can easily scrape off the nail.

Overall, not as clean as an oil/full melt dab, but this sure seems to work well! :freak:

What about you guys? Have you, like me, tried to dab non-full-melt hashes? I'm sure you have...let's hear those experiences! Also, any pointers in case I'm doing anything wrong/not ideally? Suggestions for other methods are also welcome, although I am already very familiar with most portable vapes (thanks to FC mainly).

In case you guys are wondering, I have pressed the charas into rosin as well, but that's a story for another thread! :haw:
Fantastic post brother, and welcome to FC!

I was just thinking about whether Charas existed somewhere out there that was of dabbable quality. It warms my heart to read that this is so, the reclaim in that nail looks great!

I like to put a little bit of almost full-melt bubble hash into my rosin dabs to give it a flavor boost, it is great! Have you tried to make rosin? It is a great way to make almost-dabbable material dabbable :D

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician

Ahhhhh Yeahhh... Temple Balls, Charas ... FullMelt 6 Star Bubble.. Finger/Scissor Hash.

Hmmm, sounds like we are pretty similar...
Then I started speaking with Frenchy Canolli, he inspired me to jump into the World of Hashish.
He said proper vaporization is his preferred method of administration, but he did this with Combustion.. He preferred this method because he's done it this way for 50+ years.

The cherry from a bowl or "Spliff" will act as a heating element, vaporizing the material below it.
I did this with a Spoon Pipe and layers of herb, hash , herb.. Herb is acting as a "Heat Shield "
For quite some time until I saved up the cash for my first Vaporizer,(DBV) ..

It blows my mind man!

I'll occasionally dab my first Wash of 120 Micron Epic Bubble as it truly highlights the flavor of the essence. (Used to be an Exclusive Dabber and Still encourage it over Combustion)

However, I prefer to vaporize My Bubble with AAA Flower.
Iced Cookies..

Finger/ scissor Hash from trimming the Cookies.. (Greasy rock hard texture.)

Need to snap a shot of the Bubble from the IC Whole Plant IW Extraction
Friggen crazy...

Here is some from a while ago...

I found that I truly love the Flowers and FullMelt synergistic properties from a proper full Convection Vaporizer, there is something that is magical in that specific Vape Signature.

Welcome aboard!

hza88

When I had some so-so quality bubble (barely melted), I made some awesome rosin out of it. 50+% yields too. I bet what you have would come out great

herbivore21

Ahhhhh Yeahhh... Temple Balls, Charas ... FullMelt 6 Star Bubble.. Finger/Scissor Hash.

Hmmm, sounds like we are pretty similar...
Then I started speaking with Frenchy Canolli, he inspired me to jump into the World of Hashish.
He said proper vaporization is his preferred method of administration, but he did this with Combustion.. He preferred this method because he's done it this way for 50+ years.

The cherry from a bowl or "Spliff" will act as a heating element, vaporizing the material below it.
I did this with a Spoon Pipe and layers of herb, hash , herb.. Herb is acting as a "Heat Shield "
For quite some time until I saved up the cash for my first Vaporizer,(DBV) ..

It blows my mind man!

I'll occasionally dab my first Wash of 120 Micron Epic Bubble as it truly highlights the flavor of the essence. (Used to be an Exclusive Dabber and Still encourage it over Combustion)

Iced Cookies..

Finger/ scissor Hash from trimming the Cookies.. (Greasy rock hard texture.)

Need to snap a shot of the Bubble from the IC Whole Plant IW Extraction
Friggen crazy...

Here is some from a while ago...

I found that I truly love the Flowers and FullMelt synergistic properties from a proper full Convection Vaporizer, there is something that is magical in that specific Vape Signature.

Welcome aboard!
Bro! The 120 full melt is heaven! Preach it! The best tastes I've ever gotten from a concentrate so far consistently comes from when my 120u bag gave me full melt :D

I've got to say, I actually started out vaping the way you do with flower and bubble on top - which tastes great as you say! However, I went to low temp enail dabbing on SiC and Sapphire - which tastes even nicer than convection vaping to my tastebuds and is far less harsh on the throat, none of that sucking on a hair dryer feeling lol.

Before this though, I vaped hash with a vapman, which IMO is just about the best vaporizer for non full melt hash out there still to this day and what I would use if I did not have SiC/Sapphire enails :D The vapman is much nicer for vaporizing hashes like that dabbed in the OP's video than a nail though I must say. This is what I did for a very long time before discovering that rosin can make it so that a nail is all you need with no compromises needing to be made :D

I don't dab anything with much contaminant in it, only 5/6 star full melts. If I have a really melty, not quite full melt 4.5 star hash, I will mix it with rosin for a dab sundae to prevent any harsh smokiness coming up from the contaminant.

Anything below 4.5 stars for me is squished into rosin through a calico or silk screen or bud - no combustion happening after that when we dab ;)

There are so many great ways these days to enjoy one of the oldest means of extraction that mankind has at our disposal - hash. I am ever grateful to have had the opportunity to learn to appreciate and make hash myself :D

vezj420

Wow, guys, thanks for the detailed replies and wishes!

Have you tried to make rosin? It is a great way to make almost-dabbable material dabbable :D

As I mentioned as a last line in my post, I HAVE made rosin out of this charas, and it's quite great provided I get good presses. I'm using a regular hair straightener and parchment paper+large tea bags, so the results have been so-so. Looking to get some oil pads and 25u filter papers soon! Hoping to post a new thread on my rosin pressing experiences because that is a whole 'nother discussion by itself! :worms:

One of the very few things I regret about being in India is the lack of access to great flower. :( Most of the good flower grown here is used up for Charas and does not make it into the market. There are apparently some strains of sensimilla grown around the country but I have yet to see/try these. The (traditional) hash is just so much better here... ;)

Before this though, I vaped hash with a vapman, which IMO is just about the best vaporizer for non full melt hash out there still to this day

I'm seriously considering getting a vapman for a portable unit. The only drawback with it would be that I cannot take it on a plane with me (due to the required jet lighter). I'm also considering the Arizer Air/Solo given its good reviews for traditional hash from this thread (and other related threads here on FC):

[URL]http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vape-traditional-hash.20049/[/URL]

vezj420,
Top Bottom