• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Dab question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman5280

I am new to the whole torch and nail dab routine...but I'm digging it a lot.

I am still trying to dial in the sweet spot of heating up my quartz nail. I can get a good hit with just 5 seconds of heat up, and I get a good hit with 15 seconds heat and letting it cool down, I can't tell the difference. *I think that a five second heat up and immediate hit is equal to heating up to glowing red and waiting 19 seconds to cool down.

When I heat up the nail a lot, and make it glow red, I let it cool down for 10 seconds and then hit it...when I hit it I taste butane more that what I am used to with BHO.

When heating the nail via torch, is butane escaping and finding it's way into the oil rig? Or is the torch flame leaving any butane on the nail?

Whatever it is I'm inhaling it and not sure if that's normal.

Jman5280,

Jman5280

When I torch I am finding that a vector nitro is heating up my 18mm quartz nail in 5 seconds. If I hit it right away I get a solid hit.

Is 5 seconds enough time? Or is there any benefit to heating the nail till it glows red (15 seconds) and then letting it cool for 10 seconds?

To me it seems that they are both the same. But a lot of people suggest to heat up and let cool down...but to me this seems wasteful since a 5 second heat up will work just fine.

Jman5280,

clouded vision

I don't use quartz so I can't tell you much about it but with ti I try to heat it just enough, saves a lot of butane in the long run. Try playing around with it and counting while heating then taking a dab right away, try to dial in the sweet spot for you.

Jman5280

Everything I read says 5 seconds is to short of a time...but it works for me. Any quartz users know if that's ok?

Another issue I'm having is that when I heat the nail, the quartz nail starts smoking because of the residue left on the nail. Is that normal?

Jman5280,

thisperson

Ruler of all things person
Yeah, after using some on my coil I've learned that waxes and crumbles don't leave behind any residue. So that's definitely concentrate burning away.

thisperson,
Reactions: Caligula

Jman5280

Well looks like I'm wasting good oil...

Anyone out there have experience and can help me know sweet spot for quartz?

Jman5280,

farscaper

is it working for you? are you getting high? if yes then your doing it right and just over thinking it. no two people dab "exactly" the same.

are you sure your using to toilet right if you dont ask everyone else how they do it?

no worries, just dabs :ko: avid quartz lover!

you should check out the concentrate section. we have some threads with lots of how toos and such.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Quit counting.
Torch it till the slits glow.

By the time you set your torch down and get your dab, it is ready- bhomb away!

+1 to jumping into one of the Concentrate threads, I learned a lot in there... feel free to post any questions in the Noob thread as well.

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
Depends on the type of nail and how much of a heat sink it is. When you have a quartz castle nail that is hard to heat the bottom of, when you torch it for a while then let it cool, it gives it a chance for the heat to equalize across the nail. You want to let it cool so that you get better flavor! Using a carb cap or your finger if it's has a slide, will also help you lower the temp of the nail even further before dabbing while still getting a complete vaporization.

Every nail is different. My quartz castle has a bit of mass to it. I torch it in the neighborhood of 10 to 15 second until the top holds red about half a second. I let it cool until you can just feel a little less heat coming off it with the back of my hand/fingers- this nail's about 20 seconds, dab, and cap it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom