• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Gear D-nail thread

idboehman

For what it's worth, I received my full order, though their packaging method leaves a lot to be desired IMO, I'm glad nothing was damaged or missing and would required me to deal with their customer service or lack there of. One of the lucky I guess.

Last edited:

biohacker

For what it's worth, I received my full order, though their packaging method leaves a lot to be desired IMO, I'm glad nothing was damaged or missing and would required me to deal with their customer service or lack there of. One of the lucky I guess.

Thanks for sharing, nice to hear there are still "signs of life" and I may yet still one day receive my 14mm male base that I have absolutely zero use for anymore! :lol:

@JCat awesome post man! Never seen that side of you before! :lol::tup: Well, ok maybe in the GH thread, but this one was way better!:D

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
StormyPinkness,
Reactions: ataxian
I can report I’ve also seen more signs of life. And that the new Customer Service lady has been wonderful to deal with so far. I received a partial order on Saturday minus a flat coil that is back-ordered but I have a previous enail set that I can use it all with in the meantime. I was concerned at first about them as everyone seems to be lately, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised since I’ve started dealing with the new CS person. I will be writing a full review/write-up of my experience with them after the last piece comes and so far I expect to have some more good things to say. Hopefully it can help inform others on their current status— and a more recent positive review certainly couldn’t hurt them right now.

Fcuk-Combustion

I saw that D-nail has their carb caps back in stock so I ordered one. I had been using the VRod carb cap which seals great but it is very heavy and a lot of metal mass so it drops the temp of the nail pretty significantly.

I'm happy to say it looks like D-nail has their stuff together now. I received the carb cap in a few days and had no problems with shipping (If you look back a page or two you'll see my previous negative experience with them)

The carb cap is much nicer than I expected. It's much smaller and less metal mass than the VRod carb cap and doesn't drop my temps nearly as much.

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
@StormyPinkness The sapphire halo is back in production. I was on their waiting list and got notified that there were a few in stock. There will be another batch in a month. You've gotta contact D-nail - via a phone call, email, instagram DM- to get your name on the list.

I had some questions and comments and recently got put in touch with Brian who has been away from operations for awhile. He is back in action and relocating Dnail out to the west coast. Things seem to be on the upswing at last. They sent me a sample of a new accessory they're working on, and more new products are in the pipeline. I voiced my thoughts on carb cap materials. Hope to have more communication soon about other thoughts.

I finally got the right nut to use the Sapphire insert on my SiC Halo. Anyone have any ideas on temperatures for the 'shelf tech' "convection" style dabs with this thing?

JCat

Accessory Maker
@StormyPinkness The sapphire halo is back in production. I was on their waiting list and got notified that there were a few in stock. There will be another batch in a month. You've gotta contact D-nail - via a phone call, email, instagram DM- to get your name on the list.

I had some questions and comments and recently got put in touch with Brian who has been away from operations for awhile. He is back in action and relocating Dnail out to the west coast. Things seem to be on the upswing at last. They sent me a sample of a new accessory they're working on, and more new products are in the pipeline. I voiced my thoughts on carb cap materials. Hope to have more communication soon about other thoughts.

I finally got the right nut to use the Sapphire insert on my SiC Halo. Anyone have any ideas on temperatures for the 'shelf tech' "convection" style dabs with this thing?
I found up the temp by 100-150F and it does the job (if I remember correctly). I tried mine a few times, and it was actually really nice, however, I didn't enjoy the cleanup/maintenance. (especially it really made a mess of the nut! :lol: )

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I've only used a SiC with my Dnail, and really am itching to go back to quartz.

Does anyone make a less expensive quartz bucket that will fit the Dnail? I was hoping to keep it cheap.

How many of you all are even using the quartz bucket?
It seems that nearly EVERYONE just uses SiC.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Are you still using your D-nail with a barrel coil and a banger, or did you move on to a different enail?

I want to make the jump, might you post a link to a decent bangar and coil? I haven't used bangers outside of torching...

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Are you still using your D-nail with a barrel coil and a banger, or did you move on to a different enail?

I want to make the jump, might you post a link to a decent bangar and coil? I haven't used bangers outside of torching...

I sold my D-nail with my VROD; I'm using a 25mm opaque quartz banger with a 25mm coil, Ruby insert, and a MaxVapor controller.

Check the @710Coils thread for Quartz enail ideas. I thought you already had a banger from 710coils though? If so all you probably need is the coil.

I think I might to move to an American Quartz Nail though eventually here.

Baron23

Wow, while I have some great bangers, I don’t think they made my Halo obsolete.

Also, to me, SiC is far superior to quartz as a dab surface.

Finally, I’m glad to hear that they are getting their act back in shape. For a while, the every thing out of stock had me worried about their future. I would surely like them to stick around and compete w some of the newer products.

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
I found up the temp by 100-150F and it does the job (if I remember correctly). I tried mine a few times, and it was actually really nice, however, I didn't enjoy the cleanup/maintenance. (especially it really made a mess of the nut! :lol: )
Thanks for the suggestions. I've given it a few shots and its so far, not worth the trouble of clean-up at all. Doesnt' handle even medium-sized dabs too well.

Does anyone make a less expensive quartz bucket that will fit the Dnail? I was hoping to keep it cheap.

NewVape has a $10 Quartz dish.

I think most of us have moved on to bangers.

Whether it's worth it for you to get a quartz dish on your existing center-post base; or move up to an axial coil and banger, depend on your reasons for wanting to move from SiC to quartz. I know I'm not the guy you directly asked, but I do dab on both surfaces and am happy to offer my thoughts.

I have a D-nail box with a D-nail flat coil and SiC halo. And I have a second homebrew box with a 710coils 30mm axial and quartz banger setup.

Each nail has its own characteristics. I think the flavor is superior and that I can dab small to medium dabs at lower temps on the SiC Halo. It's also more restrictive and doesn't handle globs well. It's my weapon of choice for fullmelt hash and rosin due to how consistently it delivers great flavor for many rips, and for its ease of cleaning no matter how dirty the rosin or hash. I like it for extremely high terpene extracts at low temps; the flavor doesnt degrade nearly as much as quartz. I can dab at low temperatures and vaporize a dab more efficiently with less waste on SiC compared to quartz. But that may take many pulls through the tiny inlet on the Halo's carb cap.

For bigger dabs of hydrocarbon extracts Ive really grown to love my 30mm quartz setup. I do prefer the wide open airflow of the banger to the restricted hit of the Halo and cap, especially for bigger dabs. Should you choose to use a free flowing carb cap you'll have much airier hits. The wide variety of awesome carb caps of different styles is a really nice feature of beveled, flat top bangers. Bubble caps, directional caps, "swirly" caps like the Riptide- there are a lot of styles. It's nice to take big lungfuls of vapor with a wide open rip once in a while. However, in my personal experience/opinion, due to quartz' higher K value and lower emissivity, it needs to be a touch warmer than SiC for vaporization to occur; whether simply due to the extra heat, or some other quality of the material; quartz only ever gives me one really excellent flavorful hit. The second rip might be nice, but it's never as good and often off. By the third pull the flavor is far gone and moving towards unpleasant. I always end up q-tipping more wasted oil out of a quartz banger than my SiC halo, and quartz e-nail q-tipping clean up takes me about 3x longer than SiC clean-up. I use alcohol to keep quartz as clean as possible- something I don't find necessary with SiC.

The next option and one which I haven't been able to afford yet, is pairing a nice insert with a banger, in the same way that the Liger setup evolved over time- from purely a titanium bucket you dab into, to placing a more optimal material into as a dabbing surface. Sapphire, ruby, SiC are all good candidates here, and are now available in a good variety of sizes. Cost is the biggest obstacle. Ease of use is another. it's tougher to q-tip and swab a sliding insert than it is to clean a fixed banger. And you can't use alcohol or other liquids to clean a warm sapphire insert (it will break)

All a matter of deciding which of these factors - airflow, flavor, ease of use, ease of cleaning, cost... - are most important to you. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions

Last edited:

Baron23

Thanks for the suggestions. I've given it a few shots and its so far, not worth the trouble of clean-up at all. Doesnt' handle even medium-sized dabs too well.

Whether it's worth it for you to get a quartz dish on your existing center-post base; or move up to an axial coil and banger, depend on your reasons for wanting to move from SiC to quartz. I know I'm not the guy you directly asked, but I do dab on both surfaces and am happy to offer my thoughts.

I have a D-nail box with a D-nail flat coil and SiC halo. And I have a second homebrew box with a 710coils 30mm axial and quartz banger setup.

Each nail has its own characteristics. I think the flavor is superior and that I can dab small to medium dabs at lower temps on the SiC Halo. It's also more restrictive and doesn't handle globs well. It's my weapon of choice for fullmelt hash and rosin due to how consistently it delivers great flavor for many rips, and for its ease of cleaning no matter how dirty the rosin or hash. I like it for extremely high terpene extracts at low temps; the flavor doesnt degrade nearly as much as quartz. I can dab at low temperatures and vaporize a dab more efficiently with less waste on SiC compared to quartz. But that may take many pulls through the tiny inlet on the Halo's carb cap.

For bigger dabs of hydrocarbon extracts Ive really grown to love my 30mm quartz setup. I do prefer the wide open airflow of the banger to the restricted hit of the Halo and cap, especially for bigger dabs. Should you choose to use a free flowing carb cap you'll have much airier hits. The wide variety of awesome carb caps of different styles is a really nice feature of beveled, flat top bangers. Bubble caps, directional caps, "swirly" caps like the Riptide- there are a lot of styles. It's nice to take big lungfuls of vapor with a wide open rip once in a while. However, in my personal experience/opinion, due to quartz' higher K value and lower emissivity, it needs to be a touch warmer than SiC for vaporization to occur; whether simply due to the extra heat, or some other quality of the material; quartz only ever gives me one really excellent flavorful hit. The second rip might be nice, but it's never as good and often off. By the third pull the flavor is far gone and moving towards unpleasant. I always end up q-tipping more wasted oil out of a quartz banger than my SiC halo, and quartz e-nail q-tipping clean up takes me about 3x longer than SiC clean-up. I use alcohol to keep quartz as clean as possible- something I don't find necessary with SiC.

The next option and one which I haven't been able to afford yet, is pairing a nice insert with a banger, in the same way that the Liger setup evolved over time- from purely a titanium bucket you dab into, to placing a more optimal material into as a dabbing surface. Sapphire, ruby, SiC are all good candidates here, and are now available in a good variety of sizes. Cost is the biggest obstacle. Ease of use is another. it's tougher to q-tip and swab a sliding insert than it is to clean a fixed banger. And you can't use alcohol or other liquids to clean a warm sapphire insert (it will break)

All a matter of deciding which of these factors - airflow, flavor, ease of use, ease of cleaning, cost... - are most important to you. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions

Great post, Sam....thanks!!

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

I was pretty happy with my quartz dish from thick ass glass. I bought all my stuff from them first before I upgraded everything to d-nail and moved to sic.

biohacker

I guess I'm the opposite of Sam, I always saved my really terpy stuff for quartz as the titanium airpath on the Halo was very noticeable for me. I used to run them side by side off a dual XLR controller for a while.

Same for me... as much as I liked the performance of the Halo, it had a slight metallic flavor in comparison.

+1! Ti ruins flavour AND smoothness, ESPECIALLY with that Ti carb cap. Could never go back... way too much reclaim vs my all glass/quartz setup as well.

6 months later...still waiting for my order. What an awesome company!

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
+1! Ti ruins flavour AND smoothness, ESPECIALLY with that Ti carb cap. Could never go back... way too much reclaim vs my all glass/quartz setup as well.

I had TI drivers when I played GOLF?

SS is durable and taste pretty decent, however glass taste so heavenly!

I like SS for a compromise?

Whatever work’s for your situation!
Some need gold teeth, 4x4 in the CITY?
Other want white teeth, a form of transportation?

HUMP DAY is for ROSIN dabs!
Use what fits your need?

JCat

Accessory Maker

So I finally got our order of 2 14mm bases!!!! 8 months ... seems like they finally got things in order ... website is updated, customer service follows through, etc.

Like you though @biohacker I’m pretty fond of my quartz setup right now :)

The d-nail halo is so much better with the 14mm base then the 14/18M base ... so much more stable ... as far as Ti and SiC setup goes this is the best one out there.

biohacker

So I finally got our order of 2 14mm bases!!!! 8 months ... seems like they finally got things in order ... website is updated, customer service follows through, etc.

Better late than never! :rofl:

Like you though @biohacker I’m pretty fond of my quartz setup right now :)

Wait until you try a sapphire or ruby gemstone! ;)

as far as Ti and SiC setup goes this is the best one out there.

Agree, although with SiC dish inserts I feel that the Ti is pretty much redundant now.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT

If you lived in a 3rd world country in a house with dirt floors & seed’s & stem’s with your weed.
Just make ROSIN and vape it on a NAIL to forget your condition?

ataxian,
Top Bottom