Gear D-nail thread

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
It's just that most people rave about the benefits of a Dnail or Liger set-up, and both companies seem to be having issues.

The thing is, Dnail is on social media, if they are just restocking and going strong, wouldn't they get the word out to customers? Instead, Dnail is just leaving everyone in the dark, while Liger is a completely different story. Neither gives anyone assurance on spending money with them.

With enails becoming so popular, you would think there would be more options or competition.

biohacker

With enails becoming so popular, you would think there would be more options or competition.

Check out High Five Vapes.... they have an awesome LCD omron controller, 28mm SiC dish, and an 18/14mm base that looks decent. Just not sure how great the carb cap is.... so really IMO, the only thing that D-nail has going for them is the Slim Series Bases and the gen 2 carb cap. Everything else needed can be purchased elsewhere. :2c:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Check out High Five Vapes.... they have an awesome LCD omron controller, 28mm SiC dish, and an 18/14mm base that looks decent. Just not sure how great the carb cap is.... so really IMO, the only thing that D-nail has going for them is the Slim Series Bases and the gen 2 carb cap. Everything else needed can be purchased elsewhere. :2c:

NV has a new SiC dish too but it's a hair larger... too bad it won't fit the D-nail carb cap.

edit: at least I don't think it will fit, but the Dnail carb seals from the inside unlike NVs so maybe it could fit?

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician

Doesn't surprise me.... the SiC halo industry is turning into the PID pin wiring layout industry! :lol: Everything is like Apple proprietary these days! :rofl:

What's interesting is that by the time High Five vaporizers was established as a company, there were over a dozen companies making hot runner coils and Enail boxes with the "d-nail" standard wiring schematic., as well as every DIY enail box tutorial Ive seen has instructions on wiring to the D-nail standard. High five deliberately chose to use a different pin out to ensure incompatibility. That's not the type of product I want to purchase.

biohacker

High five deliberately chose to use a different pin out to ensure incompatibility. That's not the type of product I want to purchase.

This has been discussed to death in several threads including NewVape and this one....there is no industry standard for wiring. Furthermore, a simple affordable adapter makes it a complete non-issue. I think you're missing out... the high five lcd omron is absolute tits, as can be illustrated in my videos that you've seen.

IMO D-nail controllers are grossly overpriced.

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

What's interesting is that by the time High Five vaporizers was established as a company, there were over a dozen companies making hot runner coils and Enail boxes with the "d-nail" standard wiring schematic., as well as every DIY enail box tutorial Ive seen has instructions on wiring to the D-nail standard. High five deliberately chose to use a different pin out to ensure incompatibility. That's not the type of product I want to purchase.

I was considering buying the components separately for greater value. For example, getting a auber controller and a 710coil heater, but then on Dnail's site they state that using any heater other than their own invalidates the warranty and shouldn't or can't be used. That is where it starts getting even more confusing for someone starting new in enail dabbing. Also, the Apple proprietary concept pisses me off to no end.

The heater coils have different sizes, the nails have different sizes, the pins on the heaters and controllers are different, it's fucking mesmerizing. And a lot of the pricing is ridiculous and based more on marketing schemes than value.

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
This has been discussed to death in several threads including NewVape and this one....there is no industry standard for wiring. Furthermore, a simple affordable adapter makes it a complete non-issue. I think you're missing out... the high five lcd omron is absolute tits, as can be illustrated in my videos that you've seen.

IMO D-nail controllers are grossly overpriced.
I don't follow the newvape thread closely but I'll read any links you have to share!

I used a DIY box built over six or seven years ago.... wired to the "d-nail" pinout as per Gimodo parts and various instructions back in the day. Yes at the time there were "other ways to do it" but D nail coils were notoriously higher quality compared to cheaper coils back then, and a lot of folks built their boxes to that pinout.

I think for most folks who don't care much about reaction times, the simper controllers like my Auber SYL work fine. The D-nail "Beta" mini works fine. The Mininail works fine. However over priced the higher end boxes from D-nail are, they do offer feedback that's orders of magnitude tighter than the cheaper boxes I've used. I'm sure it doesn't matter on quartz, but on SiC I see a drop from capping with a cold cap from 20-30 degrees. On my 2.0 box, it's 4-5 degrees. During a dab with a preheated cap, the fluctuation on my Auber box would be about 10-15 degrees. Now it's 2 to 3.

Ive praised the Omron E5CC PID controller in a number of threads on here and on reddit in /r/enail. It's a beautiful looking controller thats easy to program and works great. A number of e-nail box builders include the E5CC controller in their units. For those who don't care to use other companys accessories, or are not afraid to re-pin an XLR connector, the High Five box might be a great bargain, given the inclusion of high quality parts. But for someone who just wants to buy a nice box to match with say an Augusthaus 30mm banger and coil, they'll be sadly disappointed when the components do not work together. Or a desk has to be cluttered with a bulky additional XLR plug.

More worrying, and this isn't targeted at High Five at all, But I've had a number of discussions with folks about various High Five and Greenlights vapes boxes to call in to question whether those boxes are as optimized as possible. Whether they have an external solid state relay, how the alarms on the PID are configured. With D-nail, you don't have to worry about that. The boxes are optimized to deliver as tight of temperature control as possible, and many hours have been spent optimizing settings for the higher end PID controllers that their high end boxes contain.

I am indeed fan of build your own... unless I cannot match the performance of a higher end product by building my own. After taking many dabs on the higher end D nail units (with the same SiC Halo) I persuaded a friend to sell me his controller and find the higher cost to be worth the upgrade from a DIY box to the 2.0. I understand that for most, it's not worth it.

biohacker

@BabyFacedFinster it's really not complicated, and you would be doing quite well grabbing an auber controller and coil of your choice! All you really need to grab from d-nail is their slim series base/gen 2 universal carb cap....and sic dish, although you can grab a 28mm high five sic dish from PlanetVape, since d-nail is still out of stock.

Alexis

@BabyFacedFinster I can only vouch here for Auber controllers. The rdk-300 is very good in performance, so so easy to set and adjust. Rock steady temp holds with the coiled Elev8r, just dead steady throughout hits (depending on vape setup of course) with zero drop.

But it is instantly reactive to environmental shifts this impresses me most with it. It sits bang on temp forever in use and static while on the glass heater, but the split second I lift the coil off the heater the temp starts falling (as soon as removed from the heat sink and exposed to cooler air).

If I put the coil back on the heater, it instantly steadies. The rdk-300 seems to have its own mind, and it is the steady old tortoise who won't rush out of it's armchair to answer the doorbell.
Instead it pauses for a moment while it waits for the dust to clear, as it calculates the swiftest bird's eye trajectory to the new or same target which has moved slightly.

But after those few seconds, the temp goes steadily up or down, maybe 2° per second for adjustments, and lands solidly at set temp again. You can give it the run around left right and centre, same result. Exact, dependable consistent performance. Same response and adjust time to any set temp change, holding steady and as consistent and exact as can be.

Anyway I have very little controller/coil etc experience but I can see why the Rdk-300 in particular has such a good reputation. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the one hour auto shut off. Everybody else seems to think this is it's biggest selling point, citing it above performance :hmm:.

Safety matters sure, but I can't tell you how frequently I go to take a nice big hit in the zone and the controller shuts off on me or I'll come back into the room and it is already half cooled down!

If I am nearby when it's switch is off it's no problem I just turn it back on straight away the temperature immediately starts to fall but within 15 seconds it's climbing back up again and in less than one minute it's dead steady on the set temp so I can't really complain lol!

Auber FTW!:rockon:

ViCKi LEEKX

Fuck Vaporizer Combustion
Anyway I have very little controller/coil etc experience but I can see why the Rdk-300 in particular has such a good reputation. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the one hour auto shut off. Everybody else seems to think this is it's biggest selling point, citing it above performance :hmm:.

Safety matters sure, but I can't tell you how frequently I go to take a nice big hit in the zone and the controller shuts off on me or I'll come back into the room and it is already half cooled down!

I’m very happy with my Auber RDK-300 as well.

You can disable or change the timing on the auto power off feature if you like. 120 minutes works well for me and I really appreciate having it.

Access code 166, APo setting. Can be disabled (OFF) or set to 1 - 999 minutes, default value 60.

Official documentation at:
http://auberins.com/images/Manual/RDK-300_supplementary.pdf

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
100% agree.

I’m very happy with my Auber RDK-300 as well.

You can disable or change the timing on the auto power off feature if you like. 120 minutes works well for me and I really appreciate having it.

Access code 166, APo setting. Can be disabled (OFF) or set to 1 - 999 minutes, default value 60.

Official documentation at:
http://auberins.com/images/Manual/RDK-300_supplementary.pdf
I love the shut off timer, it's like a bartender cutting you off. If I'm still standing there after an hour there's not much chance I need more. I also love it because when I didn't have it I unintentionally left a coil running all day once or twice and I don't want to burn my life down.

BabyFacedFinster

Thanks everyone.

It seems like the Auber 300 is a solid unit which has a more common pin wiring so I'm set there, and I see that they have coils and also 710coils fit the controller too.

I was going with a quartz banger but now I'm thinking a SiC halo for durability. I bought a quartz banger to try it with my torch, but after the first 2 hits I fumbled, it dropped on the table and broke in two pieces. Fuck that.

I feel like waiting for Dnail to restock because I want to see if anything new comes out before I buy the nail. We'll see how long I can wait.

I'd consider the Liger air too, but jesus...

Last edited:

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Thanks everyone.

It seems like the Auber 300 is a solid unit which has a more common pin wiring so I'm set there, and I see that they have coils and also 710coils fit the controller too.

I was going with a quartz banger but now I'm thinking a SiC halo for durability. I bought a quartz banger to try it with my torch, but after the first 2 hits I fumbled, it dropped on the table and broke in two pieces. Fuck that.

I feel like waiting for Dnail to restock because I want to see if anything new comes out before I buy the nail. We'll see how long I can wait.

I'd consider the Liger air too, but jesus...
I did quartz bangers before enails. Mine used to eventually crack period, no dropping necessary. I just considered them semi-disposable and tried not too spend much on them.

BabyFacedFinster

I did quartz bangers before enails. Mine used to eventually crack period, no dropping necessary. I just considered them semi-disposable and tried not too spend much on them.

Yeah, those break too easy for my wallet. This e nail shit is not cheap as it is. Maybe a quartz insert at some point.

IDK, on one hand I have the lure of the enail set-up, and on the other I have a cheap ceramic nail that I bought for $12 and a creme brulee torch that I got as a stocking stuffer several years ago. I know that the syndrome will eventually consume me, what do they call it for dabbing equipment? DAS?

I'll tell you that I have been doing some serious rips on the cheap set-up and I'm just as high as I would be on a Liger with a Augusthaus coil. Still the siren song will call for me.

For a nail, it really comes down to the SiC halo vs waiting for a liger with a SiC or quartz insert. We are in a holding pattern on both companies right now, although the Liger guys are reporting true tracking numbers for pre-buys. Dnail has just been silent since they ran out of stock after their July 4th sale.

The Liger set-up looks to be more expensive than the SiC halo route and it looks so damn big for my needs. I guess they are not selling the smaller 20mm rigs anymore? It's 30mm or nothing? I use a dab the size of half a grain of rice and walk away high as hell. It looks like you can dab a tootsie roll in that 30mm bucket.

The halo looks like its a bit more manageable for me. Plus I can get by with the ceramic carb cap I already have. Maybe I'll be able to wait until the next holiday sale.

I'm gonna go browse the New Vape store now.

Last edited:

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Yeah, those break too easy for my wallet. This e nail shit is not cheap as it is. Maybe a quartz insert at some point.

IDK, on one hand I have the lure of the enail set-up, and on the other I have a cheap ceramic nail that I bought for $12 and a creme brulee torch that I got as a stocking stuffer several years ago. I know that the syndrome will eventually consume me, what do they call it for dabbing equipment? DAS?

I'll tell you that I have been doing some serious rips on the cheap set-up and I'm just as high as I would be on a Liger with a Augusthaus coil. Still the siren song will call for me.

For a nail, it really comes down to the SiC halo vs waiting for a liger with a SiC or quartz insert. We are in a holding pattern on both companies right now, although the Liger guys are reporting true tracking numbers for pre-buys. Dnail has just been silent since they ran out of stock after their July 4th sale.

The Liger set-up looks to be more expensive than the SiC halo route and it looks so damn big for my needs. I guess they are not selling the smaller 20mm rigs anymore? It's 30mm or nothing? I use a dab the size of half a grain of rice and walk away high as hell. It looks like you can dab a tootsie roll in that 30mm bucket.

The halo looks like its a bit more manageable for me. Plus I can get by with the ceramic carb cap I already have. Maybe I'll be able to wait until the next holiday sale.

I'm gonna go browse the New Vape store now.

Never lose that DAS!!

The Ligers are only 30mm now

if you get a Halo, you REALLY should get their V2 carb cap, everyone doubts it, then they get one and can't believe they doubted the numerous posts saying its really a critical part of the whole setup and generic stuff just doesn't hit that level of performance the real deal does.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Hey everyone ... so I finally, after a month of waiting due to communications issues, received my d-nail halo base and carb cap, and the forked dabber from @biohacker

I'm still waiting for my 14mm slim bases (got a 14/18 in the interim since they were out of stock of the others ... d-nail graciously shipped it for free with the 14/18 for free while waiting for the other's to come in)

Unfortunately I realized I'm missing a piece to actually put it together!! The retaining lug isn't included with the dishes!!! D-Nail has graciously offered to ship it to me, as they want to get me up and running, however, I was hoping someone in Ontario, Canada might have an extra they could ship me? Would be super awesome as if I could get it XpressPost today from Southern Ontario I would get it Friday in time for the weekend :)

Really looking forward to comparing it against the VROD ... ordered 3 weeks ago now ... trying to be patient which isn't one of my skills! :lol:

Anyways ... I am going to say the d-nail customer service has been nothing but outstanding; things haven't worked out yet, however, d-nail seems to go above and beyond to try to make their customers happy. Truly awesome company (even though I can't seem to get their product in hand to try! :lol: ...)

Anyways ... about to try the d-nail v2 carb cap and forked dabber with the vrod :) Been wondering about the difference between the 2 caps ...

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Can anyone speak to a comparison between a halo nail and one of these New Vape hybrid nails?

https://www.newvape.com/hybrid-quartz-enail-14-18mm-female-9054
Sorry, haven't tried a flowerpot thing since the og.

I just wanted to comment that looks like it might actually work with d-nail's v1 sapphire insert. Depends on the diameter:
d-nail-web-dish-insert-v1sapphire-sic.jpg

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Are these sapphire inserts worth the money and how are they working in practical handling?

It looks to me that just small amounts of trates are running pretty fast over the edges?

Baron23

Sam, I am ENTIRELY in support of your view. Do not try to force me into an unnecessary proprietary interface and expect me to be your customer. There is absolutely no reason in the world for their unique pin out (that is, it doesn't convey any benefit over the common D-nail type pin outs) except to force customers back to buy their coils.

I believe that they have found that to be a flawed approach and are now offering short adapter cables that cross connect pins to the D-nail format.

Right on, brother...in the age of open source, this is just not acceptable to me.

And I don't agree with @biohacker although he is entirely entitled to his views and opinions. If you are looking for an ISO or ASE type standard on coil pin outs, then no...that doesn't exist. However, as you have seen, there is definitely a defacto standard that is reflected widely in the market and EVERYBODY who is making coils/controllers knows this. Any change from that is an intentional change made with foreknowledge of this defacto standard.

And while I agree that D-nail controllers are over priced, there are great Chinese Omron E5CC PID controllers and Auber controllers available for very reasonable prices.

I have not seen where D-nail says their warranties are invalidated for their coils by not using all D-nail. What I do see is a reasonable statement of:

Our heaters are compatible with D-NAiL® digital and analog vaporizers. Other brands of vaporizer - even those that also use XLR connections - may have different wiring configurations. Connecting a D-NAiL® heater to an incompatible vaporizer can destroy or cause permanent damage to the vaporizer, heater, or both, and may present a serious safety hazard. If you have another brand vaporizer and would like to use one of our heaters, contact us before ordering. We do not know the pin configuration of every vaporizer on the market, but are familiar with several - in some cases we can even wire a heater specifically for your device.
We are all entitled to our views...and this is mine. LOL

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the one hour auto shut off.

This is adjustable via the box's settings. Set for 999 and it doesn't turn off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom