Gear D-nail thread

Monsoon

I really want to get the sic nail and was wondering if I could use the domeless 710 whip with it? The 710 whip uses a flat ceramic heater so I think it would work. Has anyone tried this set up?
I think it would at least work temporarily though I think the heater is limited to 700F max.

Monsoon,

herbivore21

I think it would at least work temporarily though I think the heater is limited to 700F max.
This should be quite alright though, given I use my SiC at 599f on the dial. One would have to disassemble the nail for torch cleaning though, since you couldn't just jack the dial up to cleaning temps ;)

herbivore21,
Reactions: Monsoon

herbivore21

Apologies for the double post, but I am just about to take my maiden dab from my newly arrived SAPPHIRE HALO!

Basically, this is like the SiC Dish/Quartz Halo (same dimensions/carb cap) but made of pure, lab grown sapphire. I will report back soon on first impressions :D

One difference to start with here is we have a threaded titanium washer that now holds the coil in place and sits between the dish and the heater. This ti washer makes nail assembly SO MUCH EASIER! Loving it so far and I haven't even dabbed yet lol

Ok I've played with the new halos a bit now.

Sapphire is much smoother and tastier than SiC and Quartz Halo.

Quartz has less dense vapor than SiC (but much harsher vapor than sapphire and SiC). Quartz Halo does get noticeable fine trails after dabbing at 662f, although much less than any quartz I've used before. Sapphire gets this much less and can be used around 610-630f comfortably and SiC can be used at 599f without this problem.

For the cloud chasers who love to savor the flavor as much as possible but not waste a drop of earl, get SiC, no question. For the clumsy, get SiC as well! It is the only one that has a chance of surviving a drop etc.

For those who consider taste the most important feature of a nail, Sapphire is the clear winner here. But this is super expensive and not everyone can get this.

I think quartz over SiC is a decision that some might make based on their personal preference of taste, or if they are not into the denseness of vapor when dabbing on SiC for some reason.

I think that quartz is harsher on the throat when dabbing non absolutes than SiC. It sure tastes nice though, a lot like using the flower adapter to vaporize the hash that I squished to make the same rosin (only thing I use that isn't an absolute lol). On the other hand, it is a noticeably thinner vapor.

Last edited:

GSH

On a Möbius plane
That sapphire sounds really tasty @herbivore21, maybe a bit out of my price range...

Just got my Quartz Halo, not sure what temp to run it at.

Having checked on d-nails website and he science section, the graph for the Quartz halo says to run it at 810F to get a 600F dish temp.

Am I reading that correctly?

Q-Halo.jpg

That could explain why our vapour is a bit wispy at 662?

redijedi808

Sweet I'm gonna give it a go!! If it doesn't work I'll use a torch and get a proper enail
If you don't mind, can you give feedback on the Sic with the 710Whip?

I've had the whip for a few months and digging it. I pair it with the FC-710 at full blast and get tasty rips.

Lately, I've been researching to improve and it seems like the Sic is the way.

Just want to see how the Sic pairs with the 710Whip ceramic donut heater

redijedi808,

Likes2vape

If you don't mind, can you give feedback on the Sic with the 710Whip?

I've had the whip for a few months and digging it. I pair it with the FC-710 at full blast and get tasty rips.

Lately, I've been researching to improve and it seems like the Sic is the way.

Just want to see how the Sic pairs with the 710Whip ceramic donut heater

I'll let you know how it works when I order the doc nail.

Dangus

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
So a month or so back I moved my d-nail out to the garage. It's not heated in there and has been getting a bit cold up here in MT. This AM it was about 25-30 degrees F in my garage and when I powered up the D-nail, the screen was all dashes and the controller clicked a couple times...then showed the temp (28) and started heating up as normal.

Anyone have experience with this or with using the d-nail thru the winter in an unheated space?

Could the temps be too cold in my garage to store/operate the d-nail safely in the winter?

I would hate to damage my unit, but was really hoping to be able to use it out in the garage this winter...

Thoughts?

Monsoon

So a month or so back I moved my d-nail out to the garage. It's not heated in there and has been getting a bit cold up here in MT. This AM it was about 25-30 degrees F in my garage and when I powered up the D-nail, the screen was all dashes and the controller clicked a couple times...then showed the temp (28) and started heating up as normal.

Anyone have experience with this or with using the d-nail thru the winter in an unheated space?

Could the temps be too cold in my garage to store/operate the d-nail safely in the winter?

I would hate to damage my unit, but was really hoping to be able to use it out in the garage this winter...

Thoughts?
My guess would be that the thermostat can't read temps below a certain point. Might be a good idea to email D-Nail to confirm.

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Would THIS be a decent 1st move from the torch and an HE cheap nail to transition to ?

I realize it's still Ti and I would need to additionally acquire a carb cap, however.. the price range is to my current liking with our shitty CDN dollar and available out of QC in Canada.

I'd eventually like to look into the elite set-ups and materials, but can't swing it at the moment.... what say you Guru's ? Should I pull the trigger ?

Likes2vape

Would THIS be a decent 1st move from the torch and an HE cheap nail to transition to ?

I realize it's still Ti and I would need to additionally acquire a carb cap, however.. the price range is to my current liking with our shitty CDN dollar and available out of QC in Canada.

I'd eventually like to look into the elite set-ups and materials, but can't swing it at the moment.... what say you Guru's ? Should I pull the trigger ?
That seems like great deal to me!!

Likes2vape,
Reactions: smokum

weenstoned

@smokum I would avoid e-nails with that type of coil connection as they are usually (maybe always?) not grounded. This makes them potentially more dangerous, also that coil connection seems more vulnerable to breakage.

http://ineedhemp.com/product/electric-enail-with-quartz-nail-or-titanium-nail/

I would recommend looking at that one as it is pretty similar but has a male plug coil and might be a bit cheaper after the dollar conversion. Or looking on DHGate as models similar to the one I posted as well as to what you posted are on there for cheaper. Here's one for $99, even if you get hit with a bunch of duties it should still be cheaper than the one sold from Canada.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/enail...nail/241952418.html#s12-9-1a;searl|3828185754

Or get an Auber RDK-200 box only for $70 then get a coil from Hyman Quartz on DHGate for ~$30 and a nail for another ~$30. Myself and a few other members have this box and the only complaints I have are no auto-shut off and a short power cord. This is the set up I am running. Just make sure you get the right sized nail/coil/carb cap (all 16mm or all 20mm).
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=45&products_id=459
http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/wholesale-thermo-coil-heater-with-5pin-xlr/229617665.html
http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/electric-quartz-nail-quartz-enail-for-smoking/230298136.html
http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/high-quality-size-12mm-quartz-carb-cap-it/232151954.html

Monsoon

Keep in mind this is a D-Nail knockoff from China and not actually produced by D-Nail. The price seems to be a bit high, if you want that particular one you can probably get it for half the price directly from China and avoid the markup. That said in your price range I'd strongly consider the Auber over most other options, if something breaks I've heard they have good customer support too.

herbivore21

definitely a good price, is that a real d-nail though? Seems doubtful! Still, great price and so long as pin arrangement is the same, should be no problem :) Even if pin arrangement for heater is different, you can get custom coils made up from various people ;)

I recently got a new ninja nail (but in the large pelican case used for the stash nail, not the turtle case) and they are AMAZING! Having a case to put everything in is a godsend!

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass

That appears to be a Chinese e nail kit labeled D-Nail. I think Auber or High5 would be a better option than that one. High5 uses the same pid and you could order it with a flat coil for $112 then buy yourself a D-Nail SiC halo w/ slim base for cheaper than that kit.

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Thanks for everyone's input :tup:

I'll have to now wait until spring (and hopefully further development and fine tuning of this tech), as we had some teaser snowflakes the other day and I splurged on a sled for this winters season (supercharged RX-1 Apex SE :o:D).

Jman5280

I am looking at the D-nail Analog with the Flat Coil Heater to use with the SiC, & I have a few questions:

- Are Ti nails the only option for the SiC to go on? Do they effect the flavor at all?
- Does the flat coil need to be removed in any way when you are done using, like you would with heater coils that wrap around the banger?

Would using a cheaper set up (ENail & Flat Coil Heater) from High5 Vapes give me the same results, as long as I am still using the SiC from D-Nail? Or is the Flat Coil Heater from D-Nail made specifically for the SiC?

My goal is cheap, SAFE, and whatever is less likely to break, which is why I liked the idea of the Flat Coil and SiC.

Thanks!

MileHighLife

I am looking at the D-nail Analog with the Flat Coil Heater to use with the SiC, & I have a few questions:

- Are Ti nails the only option for the SiC to go on? Do they effect the flavor at all?
- Does the flat coil need to be removed in any way when you are done using, like you would with heater coils that wrap around the banger?

Would using a cheaper set up (ENail & Flat Coil Heater) from High5 Vapes give me the same results, as long as I am still using the SiC from D-Nail? Or is the Flat Coil Heater from D-Nail made specifically for the SiC?

My goal is cheap, SAFE, and whatever is less likely to break, which is why I liked the idea of the Flat Coil and SiC.

Thanks!

I use a high5 as much as a d-nail 1.2 with no noticeable difference in performance. The high5 will drop 10 - 15 degrees during a dab before the heat starts catching back up while the d-nail drops 5- 6 but you can't tell a difference other than pid readings. Their coils are nice too. I ordered a couple extras since they're so cheap and they're all very nicely coiled.

I'd suggest a pid unit over an analog controller for ease of use but analog controllers work great. Just make sure you have a temp gun or k type thermometer if you go with analog.

No need to remove the coil when done.

Yes. Only option for SiC is titanium/SiC hybrid at the moment and I do believe the titanium affects the flavor a bit. Can't wait til the first completely SiC nail comes out.

Jman5280

I use a high5 as much as a d-nail 1.2 with no noticeable difference in performance. The high5 will drop 10 - 15 degrees during a dab before the heat starts catching back up while the d-nail drops 5- 6 but you can't tell a difference other than pid readings. Their coils are nice too. I ordered a couple extras since they're so cheap and they're all very nicely coiled.

I'd suggest a pid unit over an analog controller for ease of use but analog controllers work great. Just make sure you have a temp gun or k type thermometer if you go with analog.

No need to remove the coil when done.

Yes. Only option for SiC is titanium/SiC hybrid at the moment and I do believe the titanium affects the flavor a bit. Can't wait til the first completely SiC nail comes out.

Thanks MileHigh! I think I will avoid the D-nail Analog because a temp gun just seems like one more thing to fumble. Do you know anywhere in the CO that sells the High5 at a fair price? Or should I just order the High5 online? (I'm hoping somebody does a Black Friday sale tomorrow)

- Are the flat coils from High5 the only kind that will work on the High5?

- Do Flat coils, or any kind of heating coils, effect taste? Is the air path ever going through/over the heating coils? I just want to make sure I'm inhaling a CLEAN path, and not pieces of the coil. I'm assuming those coils start to flake up and crack over time...that's why I'm a bit concerned.

From my understanding the SiC dish will fit on their new Slim Series, does anybody have this option? How does it taste?

Thanks again!

MileHighLife

Thanks MileHigh! I think I will avoid the D-nail Analog because a temp gun just seems like one more thing to fumble. Do you know anywhere in the CO that sells the High5 at a fair price? Or should I just order the High5 online? (I'm hoping somebody does a Black Friday sale tomorrow)

- Are the flat coils from High5 the only kind that will work on the High5?

- Do Flat coils, or any kind of heating coils, effect taste? Is the air path ever going through/over the heating coils? I just want to make sure I'm inhaling a CLEAN path, and not pieces of the coil. I'm assuming those coils start to flake up and crack over time...that's why I'm a bit concerned.

From my understanding the SiC dish will fit on their new Slim Series, does anybody have this option? How does it taste?

Thanks again!
I literally just did a dab off SiC/slim series on my high5 unit before reading this.:tup: They work great together. They also produce very flavorful hits together.

The airway with this setup is pure ti grade 1. The coil sits outside of the airway heating the dish from below.

FYI all hot runners (e nail coils) come from China. Some companies just charge an arm and a leg.

High5 coils are the only coils that'll work on a high5 unit that I know of. They pin their coils/units out differently than the typical d nail pin out.

Jman5280

I literally just did a dab off SiC/slim series on my high5 unit before reading this.:tup: They work great together. They also produce very flavorful hits together.

The airway with this setup is pure ti grade 1. The coil sits outside of the airway heating the dish from below.

FYI all hot runners (e nail coils) come from China. Some companies just charge an arm and a leg.

High5 coils are the only coils that'll work on a high5 unit that I know of. They pin their coils/units out differently than the typical d nail pin out.

MileHigh, thanks for helping me out. I'm placing my order tomorrow, I hope there will be some sale going on.

Time to go hit my Volcano and prepare to feast.

Happy Holidays

DrSteez

Speaking of rosen, is that what the new D-Nail heat press is all about?
http://www.d-nail.com/heat-press

Yea I set my D-Nail to 900f for about 10-15 minutes and the Hive ceramic auto-cleans itself.
Pretty amazing, all of the residual is completely removed. It looks brand new again.
I had tried the various Pxtract PX waxes with my D-Nail but I had significant residue after just a few sessions
and the smell was terrible! I even tried various temps from 500f to 800f, all with the same results.
I have since gone back to Moxie trim run shatters which are about the same price point as the PX.
I would love to do nothing but Moxie live resin all the time on my D-Nail, but they are cost prohibitive at this point.
Hopefully sometime in the near future we will see <$100 grams of this same high quality shatter but I kind of doubt it.
Both Chubbs and Nick420CA have broken it down on youtube, explaining why top shelf shatter can cost $100/g.
That is one of my favorite things about the D-Nail though.
It is so efficient, especially when compared to these so-called vape pens.
I do smaller, more frequent dabs at precise temps and stay at a certain plateau all night long!
Hey man if you are in socal, go to LA and visit the tlc dispensary.

Live resin and dry sift rosin for 50-60/g

And they are really really good.

Dare I say better than moxie. Most Def. Better than rump. And those guys are like 80-120/g which is hilarious!

Out of two grams of really good flower, you could yield almost half gram of rosin. There is no reason to charge 120$/g. That's fucking robbery with the disguise of "donation compassion blah blah blah"

DrSteez,
I missed the answer that was already posted above so I removed my original message. Would have deleted it but didn't see an option. :science:

I will follow up with asking... is the 5-6 degree drop while dabbing with the D-Nail something I should worry about when compared to Gimido's LCD PID's (Omron for example). Will that temperature drop affect performance or anything? Gimido specs say it only drops 2 degrees (maybe that's not accurate and it drops the same as D-Nail's?). How would you compare the D-Nail PID overall? I ordered a Gimido with LCD PID because I wanted a newer, more accurate, and cooler looking PID. Still, I'm considering canceling and getting the DIY kit from D-Nail. Just can't decide if D-Nail's PID is superior or not. D-Nail doesn't list much info on their site, at least that I've been able to find, so it's hard to know.

Last edited:
KittensTasteYummy,
Top Bottom