Gear D-nail thread

shredder

Do you guys do the d-nail stabilized uptemp procedure? :rockon:

http://www.d-nail.com/PDF/uptemp-procedure-writeup.pdf

I don't. I just start the controler and add a dab when it's up to temp. My controler temps will drop a bit, but I still get a great first hit. And the nail temps quickly stabilize.

I mentioned before but I frequently up the temps during a session 20-30 degrees before finishing.

... @biohacker , i prefer these dropdowns from TAG than the ones i've got off the gate...

...this one comes in 1", 2" or 3" drop...
DD-039-2084--0_large.jpg

DD-041-2492--0_large.jpg

.... https://www.thickassglass.com/collections/adapters-1 .....

Mine work very well. I bought different sizes of tag drops in both 14mm and 18mm. And to me, the carb is very important part too, and my carbs came from tag as well. I've taken mine on the road, with the bare minumins and it just isn't the same.

mixchu69

I have been using my d-nail sic as my primary, and my liger v2 as backup (using storm cell carb cap). Got a chad bro bubble cap and has completely changed my experience. Didn't know carb cap can make such a difference (since storm cell seemed adequate but hits were a bit airy)

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
I have been using my d-nail sic as my primary, and my liger v2 as backup (using storm cell carb cap). Got a chad bro bubble cap and has completely changed my experience. Didn't know carb cap can make such a difference (since storm cell seemed adequate but hits were a bit airy)

Cap makes a huge difference.
Chadbro bubble cap is the best cap/value I've found for the 20mm Liger.
Gordo Riptide Bubble is also great (pricier; they also have a new GTR(?) version).

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@invertedisdead these uptemp hits are BOMB!!! I just wish my high5 controller didn't heat up so damn fast! :lol: Double edged sword that controller, heats up in under a minute and temp is stable as fuck, but I wish the climb to my set temp was about 50-75% slower just for this procedure.

D-nail SiC Halo continues to PREVAIL!!! :rockon: STILL JUST LOVING IT!! :love:

YES I :cheers:

Are you starting at around 350? D-Nail suggests going in lower on the SiC Halo than the Quartz and Sapphire Halo for uptemps since it has such high conductivity.

Uptemps are so smooth, and so tasty. The future of vaporization for flower and extract IMO. The essential oil community vaporizes with zero heat via ultrasonic diffusion or nebulization. They fully understand the therapeutic effects of the terpenes are altered with heat, so the temperature ramp up makes a lot of sense to me. You can really feel the difference in smoothness with a torched dab, static temp enail dab, and an controlled uptemp.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
YES I :cheers:

Are you starting at around 350? D-Nail suggests going in lower on the SiC Halo than the Quartz and Sapphire Halo for uptemps since it has such high conductivity.

Uptemps are so smooth, and so tasty. The future of vaporization for flower and extract IMO. The essential oil community vaporizes with zero heat via ultrasonic diffusion or nebulization. They fully understand the therapeutic effects of the terpenes are altered with heat, so the temperature ramp up makes a lot of sense to me. You can really feel the difference in smoothness with a torched dab, static temp enail dab, and an controlled uptemp.

So....uptemps are the future.......or heatless neubiuization......I don't think either personally but Id definitely think the latter if I had to pick, if they figure out how to make even a semi reliable setup it would by definition render every other bit of dab tech more or less obsolete.....but then again we are still playing with quartz so maybe not.

ensabbahnur,
Reactions: shredder

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
So....uptemps are the future.......or heatless neubiuization......I don't think either personally but Id definitely think the latter if I had to pick, if they figure out how to make even a semi reliable setup it would by definition render every other bit of dab tech more or less obsolete.....but then again we are still playing with quartz so maybe not.

What are you even saying, think you got the sapphire turned up a little high :rofl:

edit: have you even tried an uptemp? You don't find it smoother?

quartz = no metal in the vapor path and no dropdowns increasing the length of the vapor path = less condensation/reclaim + works on smaller flavor saver rigs

You act like it has zero benefits. That's misguided.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
What are you even saying, think you got the sapphire turned up a little high :rofl:

edit: have you even tried an uptemp or are you just spouting?

quartz = no metal in the vapor path and no dropdowns increasing the length of the vapor path = less condensation/reclaim + works on smaller flavor saver rigs

You act like it has zero benefits. That's misguided.

Nah not at all saying zero benefits, its more along the lines of saying definitively that sapphire will for sure be your dish of choice....when for most, if for nothing else then cost....no it won't be, for a HUGE majority of people the hassle is too much......likewise, uptemps, while GREAT....are a F'n hassle with cheese and bacon on top.......great flavor, great medications etc etc, but a huge huge huge hassle that frankly I don't see getting any easier as time goes on, the slitted inserts are about as good as I can imagine it'd get much more streamlined aside from a full SIC chamber and a tuned PID just for the temp range needed. Heatless diffusion/nebulization seems to me, from a science standpoint, to truly and finally be worthy of being called an "end game"....maybe shooting up pure meds in a vein may somehow be "better" but I don't claim to know that science.......heatless vapor deposition in your lungs seems like the end of the road to me...much much much farther down the line then uptemps/drop ins/whatever.

Im still offering money to anyone who wants to meet up and can accurately/consistently pick out a dab with a <2 inch ti path vs all quartz or whatever other material and Id even buy the nails to prove my point. Ive said this before and I strongly stand by it still, its much ado about nothing (yes there is the small, small, small, small bit of people that if they even look at metal in the context of breathing will break out in hives....Im talking the other 99.9999999999% of us).......and now that I think about it Im not sure what it has to do with uptemps or heatless applications but yeah.

TLDR:

uptemps are great but a huge hassle and IMO, will not be "the future"

heatless delivery however, prolly will be.........in a long long time.

quartz is still old tech and isn't going to magically get any better and I strongly feel its only being constantly pushed by the industry due to the insane margins on even cheapy bangers let alone if you go for "made in the USA"

These opinions arent formed by myself in a basement (don't let the pic of my shut in size fingernails fool you) Im a party monster who's sees MASSIVE amounts of people (I go to many cups and sesh's in Cali, Ore, Wash and Colo) partaking in this hobby....if it was just us, the hardcore, maybe Id think differently, but sadly the huge bulk of the people I see don't even know that quartz can exist beyond a rock let alone the things being done with it today.

My advice and opinions/view are not words of god and don't apply to every single person, but thats not really the point of an opinion or review.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Nah not at all saying zero benefits, its more along the lines of saying definitively that sapphire will for sure be your dish of choice....when for most, if for nothing else then cost....no it won't be, for a HUGE majority of people the hassle is too much......likewise, uptemps, while GREAT....are a F'n hassle with cheese and bacon on top.......great flavor, great medications etc etc, but a huge huge huge hassle that frankly I don't see getting any easier as time goes on, the slitted inserts are about as good as I can imagine it'd get much more streamlined aside from a full SIC chamber and a tuned PID just for the temp range needed. Heatless diffusion/nebulization seems to me, from a science standpoint, to truly and finally be worthy of being called an "end game"....maybe shooting up pure meds in a vein may somehow be "better" but I don't claim to know that science.......heatless vapor deposition in your lungs seems like the end of the road to me...much much much farther down the line then uptemps/drop ins/whatever.

Im still offering money to anyone who wants to meet up and can accurately/consistently pick out a dab with a <2 inch ti path vs all quartz or whatever other material and Id even buy the nails to prove my point. Ive said this before and I strongly stand by it still, its much ado about nothing (yes there is the small, small, small, small bit of people that if they even look at metal in the context of breathing will break out in hives....Im talking the other 99.9999999999% of us).......and now that I think about it Im not sure what it has to do with uptemps or heatless applications but yeah.

TLDR:

uptemps are great but a huge hassle and IMO, will not be "the future"

heatless delivery however, prolly will be.........in a long long time.

quartz is still old tech and isn't going to magically get any better and I strongly feel its only being constantly pushed by the industry due to the insane margins on even cheapy bangers let alone if you go for "made in the USA"

These opinions arent formed by myself in a basement (don't let the pic of my shut in size fingernails fool you) Im a party monster who's sees MASSIVE amounts of people (I go to many cups and sesh's in Cali, Ore, Wash and Colo) partaking in this hobby....if it was just us, the hardcore, maybe Id think differently, but sadly the huge bulk of the people I see don't even know that quartz can exist beyond a rock let alone the things being done with it today.

My advice and opinions/view are not words of god and don't apply to every single person, but thats not really the point of an opinion or review.

What's all the hassle? Seems most people are still dabbing off a torched nail with a countdown timer which is as big a hassle as it gets IMO. Especially if you have a modern smart enail with adjustable uptemp parameters.

Opaque Quartz is pretty new tech. Keep in mind heatless delivery means your material would have to be activated, so you're talking reintroduced terpenes if you wanted to retain those therapeutic compounds. This is all going on right now, a few companies have these nebulizers available.

Metal in the air path is deeper than current science. More metaphysical. I'm not bashing titanium, I have vaporizers made out of 100% titanium but its not the most ideal material IMO for the end game solution.

Have you dabbed on a SiC or sapphire insert in a Quartz banger? What didn't you like about that? I think a big advantage of a Quartz housing is one can run smaller rigs which adds a perceived flavor increase, despite perhaps a less than ideal surface material. The Liger Air could change things up there though potentially. I agree that Quartz has poor conductivity which is definitely not ideal for a surface material with static temp dabbing, but I like what it brings to the table as a housing material as its transparent, clean, and has tons of carb options which don't transfer heat.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
@invertedisdead yeah I read the procedure word for word and start low at 350! The flavours are off the charts and soooo easy on my lungs, which is exactly what i've been seeking!

@ensabbahnur why do you think uptemps are a huge hassle? I literally turn my coil off, wait for it to drop under temp, flip the switch and do my dab. Breeze!

^things like that. (pointing to psychonauts post)

I think its grossly overestimated how many people use enails yet, most folks (not only talking about people who come to vape forums, I'm talking EVERYONE) just are not ready for more steps/longer process.......esp when you get stoned.

For the 1% uptemps are worth the steps
For 99% its not.
Its like personal material choice, some people with fight tooth and nail saying rosin is the best way to go, for every 1 of those guys I can pull 1000 that say live resin, while 5000 would swear by shatter cause 2 Chainz said so......whos right, I know Im not. To a lot of those that swear by rosin there is no telling them that solvent based or even sub critical extraction is even worth dabbing.....to each his own I suppose but by no means is rosin "better" or "worse" then anything else except for your individual needs.
I know its a matter of seconds, but so is properly cleaning your dish, so is grinding your herb, so is wiping the mouth piece or using a smoke buddy when you're sesh'n so you don't get herpesyphillaids, so is so many things people just simply do not bother with in their day to day. I mean despite numerous posts advising specific setups and gear, people time and again think saving $5 here or there on a carb cap or something because they have zero clue of how much better things can be......and simply can't be bothered with them. Ultimately all of this stemmed from my trigger term of "end game" and maybe I was over complicating things in my explanation.

edit @invertedisdead Ive done plenty of uptemps over a long period, I have not done one with a quartz banger as I feel its exactly the same end result as a drop in with a Liger or other ti bucket, the material that is heating your dish should have minimal impact as long as temps are the same across the different materials. Most of my uptemps are the much easier, although still hassle IMO, drop the coil temp and wait method. Opaque quartz is definitely not new, HE has been selling them since ATLEAST the V2 (I think they are technically on v5 now) ti nail days like 3~4 years ago. Quartz has its places, like cast iron cookware, but those places are seeing less and less value IMO with newer, more versatile materials.

Again to be clear, I see value in uptemps and think they are fine and dandy, they are not for me unless Im really trying to feel fancy and even then I have to admit feeling a bit like a tool doing them when everyone else is just dabbing away.

Last edited:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
If I had an enail that was a little more advanced, by that I mean a separate heater power switch or button, it would be less of a hassle. I have an old enail though, and there are advancements, I'm just cheap what can I say. Kudos to those who have the newer tech enails and are riding the bleeding edge, that's a fun and also frustrating place to be. I live vicariously through ya'll for now.

shredder

If I had an enail that was a little more advanced, by that I mean a separate heater power switch or button, it would be less of a hassle. I have an old enail though, and there are advancements, I'm just cheap what can I say. Kudos to those who have the newer tech enails and are riding the bleeding edge, that's a fun and also frustrating place to be. I live vicariously through ya'll for now.

Once I'm more advanced I plan on turning on my cannabinoid receptors by mind control. No wires, no batteries, no solvents, no canna budget............. Look a butterfly!!! .....what was I saying?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
edit @invertedisdead Ive done plenty of uptemps over a long period, I have not done one with a quartz banger as I feel its exactly the same end result as a drop in with a Liger or other ti bucket, the material that is heating your dish should have minimal impact as long as temps are the same across the different materials. Most of my uptemps are the much easier, although still hassle IMO, drop the coil temp and wait method. Opaque quartz is definitely not new, HE has been selling them since ATLEAST the V2 (I think they are technically on v5 now) ti nail days like 3~4 years ago. Quartz has its places, like cast iron cookware, but those places are seeing less and less value IMO with newer, more versatile materials.

I thought you might mention those old V2 dishes, I had considered mentioning them in my last post but refrained as I've used those old HE opaque quartz dishes - you can use the same material and get different performance - that's the relevance of a good design. Do you think a V2FQ will hold heat as long as a gavel? Also the SiC halo was conceived in 2014 and released in 2015 so I don't think age is that relevant to this conversation. I'm one of the biggest advocates of SiC on the forum so I'm certainly not bashing it in anyway whatsoever.

I would add that cast iron cookware has made a huge comeback as more and more people realize it's a more versatile, better performing material than much of these newer materials and composite blends. In fact you would be hard pressed to find a modern material that can hold a nonstick coating as long as a well seasoned piece of cast iron or carbon steel.

I think you should try your sic and sapphire inserts in a quartz banger since you're down for the test anyways. Might as well give it a go. I'm surprised you haven't tried it already if you would go so far as to offer money and buy all the gear to do a blind taste test.

Still not sure what the hassle is with uptemps, especially when you have two smart PIDs? Could you elaborate on that a bit?

The 99% still light weed on fire so we can only take what we can get.

Top Bottom