1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Gear D-nail thread

Discussion in 'Concentrates' started by PhotoRider, Oct 30, 2013.

1. RandomHero

RandomHero Currently Sublimated

I ordered mine in the beginning of Feb. I am still waiting on my unit. I've been in contact with them via facebook and they have answered me within a day of asking each time. Apparently it's my quartz nail that is holding my order up.

I can't wait to get this though, from what I hear, it warms up to full temp in a matter of a few minutes. I have to wait a good 20 minutes to get a good rip from my Sublimator.

2. S1N3

S1N3 Tarzan @ KloudSociety

I had the pleasure of testing out one of these units for three weeks before having to part ways :wave:

[​IMG]

Here are two vids:

Unboxing

Usage Video

And I wrote a in depth review w/ my thoughts, which you can read here.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    ataxian, Smoke1ForMe and Roger D like this.
  3. 421

421 Well-Known Member

Do you guys find it a problem for the nail to get so hot while sitting in your glass piece? I'm concerned about the nail affecting the structural integrity of the glass over time. I suppose using a separate stand for the nail could be a good solution.

ataxian likes this.
  4. PhotoRider

PhotoRider Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.

yes, a valid concern.

On the TI male nail I always use an adapter so it would break and not the pipe

5. ataxian

ataxian California

I have my gadgets however a good old nail and a torch are cheap and effective.

Is the $500 price worth it?

thesoloman likes this.
  6. Bouldorado

Bouldorado Well-Known Member

I've hit friends' e-nails quite a bit, and they deliver the best tasting dab, bar-none. You just can't match the consistent temp with a torch powered nail.

You can get cheaper e-nails now (2-300) but it won't be worth it personally unless they drop to <$100. Like you said, a torch/nail is cheap and effective and I just don't dab enough (not even daily) to justify the purchase. There's also not a night and day difference between an e-nail and a torch (regarding flavor); definitely noticeable, but not worth 500 bucks for the flavor alone.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    farscaper and ataxian like this.
  7. ataxian

ataxian California

I have a PERSEI HERCULES SR74 7.4 volts that I want to try.
    If the enail taste better I got to have it however my $8 torch and my $12 T2 Domeless taste amazing and the medical effect is sedative!

syrupy likes this.
  8. 421

421 Well-Known Member

Just pulled the trigger on an analog D-Nail with a 18mm male to 14mm female adapter for water pipe safety ^_^

Can't wait to get it. I'm switching from a DBV setup, which is big and takes up more desk space than I'd like. Dabs really well tho, will be good to have this for backup.

9. thisperson

thisperson Ruler of all things person

I was kind of expecting a built in water tube stem with a heater core bowl. A one piece actually with a volcano esque base to hide the electronics.

This was interesting but is not the nail for me.

Got to keep searching for more electrical nails!

I am curious though. Do you dab on the coil heater so it is a nail or is it just a heating element for the other nail?

I would imagine the first scenario is it if it was portable but this is ac and I think they could have done the second.

Just wanted this cleared up. Thanks.

10. 421

421 Well-Known Member

My D-Nail is being shipped to me but I believe I can explain: coil heater goes on nail, coil heats up nail, dabs are done on the nail.

Check out the Vapexhale Cloud Evo with a Vapexnail and Hydratube. Pricey setup but it fits what you are looking for.

Vaporbrothers VB2 does as well, but it doesn't have a built-in water tube attachment, I think you have to use a whip in that case.

aesthyrian likes this.
  11. thisperson

thisperson Ruler of all things person

I didn't know about that product. Thanks for the direction. It is a bit pricey but it seems to be exactly what I want.

I really liked the attached water bongs some users have.

I'm curious as to what type of nails there are.

So far I have surmised that there are coil in glass nails where the liquid vaporizes off the glass after the coil heats the air inside, then there are coil to nail setups where the e nail is just a heating element for another nail and although I haven't seen them I'm assuming there are also nails that heat up and you can dab off them directly.

Anyone know the different quirks of each of these nail types? And if there are others?

12. 421

421 Well-Known Member

Got my Analog D-Nail in :nod:

I'm pretty amazed with it so far. Though I did turn it up to max to get it heating up, didn't realize it would heat up so fast and oxidized the nail already from 1000+ temp I believe! Oops.

I love dabbing right in front of my face, whereas before I had a whip setup and had to turn my head and reach my arm awkwardly. Being able to see the dab vaporize very clearly is nice, somehow everything feels much more efficient. Overall I'm really happy with my purchase. I might try to mod it later on with a better temp controller, right now it's some sort of sliding dimmer. I would really like a notched knob, with a lot of steps, hopefully 20+, seems like a do-able mod (tho I believe nice many stepped knobs are expensive).

13. syrupy

syrupy fumed

With that kind of dimmer, do you feel you get good fine temp control? Does the slide stay in place OK?

14. 421

421 Well-Known Member

Seems like it stays in place pretty well. I don't really feel like I get a fine temp control, but luckily I have an IR thermometer that I've been using to track temp changes. So yeah, fine temp control seems hard for right now. I actually thought it was a stepped controller from hearing people use fractions for where the temp is.

15. Silver420Surfer

Silver420Surfer Well-Known Member

I just tried an analog e-nail today, had the dimmer switch thing also. As much as I want to be, i wasn't impressed. Don't know if I just need time to mess around with it myself to fine tune temps or what. Same friend has a Nectar Collector, THAT was the memorable experience of the 2 for me.

While I certainly may have tried the "entry level" version, the mega-expensive versions will have to do a much better job for me to ever invest in one. I could see where some patients may chose this over a torch and nail for ease of use though. I would definitely have to be able to try one of the more "quality" devices before I buy. Not digging it, but that doesn't mean it's not a good choice for others, :2c:.

Caligula, farscaper and 421 like this.
  16. Caligula

Caligula *results not typical.

I LOVE that wooden enclosure.

aesthyrian likes this.
  17. 421

421 Well-Known Member

After dialing in at a nice temp on my analog (~650 I believe), I disconnected the XLR power from the heater, instead of using the dimmer to turn it off. Reconnected the XLR this morning and it's working really well, no fussing with temps. Seems like a decent work-around to the dimmer issue for now.

18. pigfoot

pigfoot Dabs are vaping too!

[​IMG]

HugieLewis and Caligula like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors