• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Gear D-nail thread

RandomHero

Currently Sublimated
I paid for a dnail with the upgraded coils, ti and quartz, nearly 3 weeks ago directly from them. ive been texting them for almost a week trying to get my tracking number because they think they shipped it. but if they didn't I have to wait till feb when they resume production lol. I really wish I just would've drove 4 hours and bought one retail. if anyone has one im really curious as to what other people experience dealing with them.

I ordered mine in the beginning of Feb. I am still waiting on my unit. I've been in contact with them via facebook and they have answered me within a day of asking each time. Apparently it's my quartz nail that is holding my order up.

I can't wait to get this though, from what I hear, it warms up to full temp in a matter of a few minutes. I have to wait a good 20 minutes to get a good rip from my Sublimator.

RandomHero,

S1N3

Tarzan @ KloudSociety
I had the pleasure of testing out one of these units for three weeks before having to part ways :wave:

UfwBc4V.jpg

Here are two vids:

Unboxing

Usage Video

And I wrote a in depth review w/ my thoughts, which you can read here.

Last edited:

Do you guys find it a problem for the nail to get so hot while sitting in your glass piece? I'm concerned about the nail affecting the structural integrity of the glass over time. I suppose using a separate stand for the nail could be a good solution.

Reactions: ataxian

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
Do you guys find it a problem for the nail to get so hot while sitting in your glass piece? I'm concerned about the nail affecting the structural integrity of the glass over time. I suppose using a separate stand for the nail could be a good solution.
yes, a valid concern.

On the TI male nail I always use an adapter so it would break and not the pipe

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I paid $510 fir the TI version. They have many configuration with nail types and quartz nails. The TI lists for $600. However they have several newer models coming that are less.
I have my gadgets however a good old nail and a torch are cheap and effective.

Is the $500 price worth it?

Bouldorado

I have my gadgets however a good old nail and a torch are cheap and effective.

Is the $500 price worth it?

I've hit friends' e-nails quite a bit, and they deliver the best tasting dab, bar-none. You just can't match the consistent temp with a torch powered nail.

You can get cheaper e-nails now (2-300) but it won't be worth it personally unless they drop to <$100. Like you said, a torch/nail is cheap and effective and I just don't dab enough (not even daily) to justify the purchase. There's also not a night and day difference between an e-nail and a torch (regarding flavor); definitely noticeable, but not worth 500 bucks for the flavor alone.

Last edited:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I've hit friends' e-nails quite a bit, and they deliver the best tasting dab, bar-none. You just can't match the consistent temp with a torch powered nail.

You can get cheaper e-nails now (2-300) but it won't be worth it personally unless they drop to <$100. Like you said, a torch/nail is cheap and effective and I just don't dab enough (not even daily) to justify the purchase. There's also not a night and day difference between an e-nail and a torch (regarding flavor); definitely noticeable, but not worth 500 bucks for the flavor alone.
I have a PERSEI HERCULES SR74 7.4 volts that I want to try.
If the enail taste better I got to have it however my $8 torch and my $12 T2 Domeless taste amazing and the medical effect is sedative!

ataxian,
Reactions: syrupy

Just pulled the trigger on an analog D-Nail with a 18mm male to 14mm female adapter for water pipe safety ^_^

Can't wait to get it. I'm switching from a DBV setup, which is big and takes up more desk space than I'd like. Dabs really well tho, will be good to have this for backup.

thisperson

Ruler of all things person
I was kind of expecting a built in water tube stem with a heater core bowl. A one piece actually with a volcano esque base to hide the electronics.

This was interesting but is not the nail for me.

Got to keep searching for more electrical nails!

I am curious though. Do you dab on the coil heater so it is a nail or is it just a heating element for the other nail?

I would imagine the first scenario is it if it was portable but this is ac and I think they could have done the second.

Just wanted this cleared up. Thanks.

thisperson,

I was kind of expecting a built in water tube stem with a heater core bowl. A one piece actually with a volcano esque base to hide the electronics.

This was interesting but is not the nail for me.

Got to keep searching for more electrical nails!

I am curious though. Do you dab on the coil heater so it is a nail or is it just a heating element for the other nail?

I would imagine the first scenario is it if it was portable but this is ac and I think they could have done the second.

Just wanted this cleared up. Thanks.

My D-Nail is being shipped to me but I believe I can explain: coil heater goes on nail, coil heats up nail, dabs are done on the nail.

Check out the Vapexhale Cloud Evo with a Vapexnail and Hydratube. Pricey setup but it fits what you are looking for.

Vaporbrothers VB2 does as well, but it doesn't have a built-in water tube attachment, I think you have to use a whip in that case.

thisperson

Ruler of all things person
I didn't know about that product. Thanks for the direction. It is a bit pricey but it seems to be exactly what I want.

I really liked the attached water bongs some users have.

I'm curious as to what type of nails there are.

So far I have surmised that there are coil in glass nails where the liquid vaporizes off the glass after the coil heats the air inside, then there are coil to nail setups where the e nail is just a heating element for another nail and although I haven't seen them I'm assuming there are also nails that heat up and you can dab off them directly.

Anyone know the different quirks of each of these nail types? And if there are others?

Got my Analog D-Nail in :nod:

I'm pretty amazed with it so far. Though I did turn it up to max to get it heating up, didn't realize it would heat up so fast and oxidized the nail already from 1000+ temp I believe! Oops.

I love dabbing right in front of my face, whereas before I had a whip setup and had to turn my head and reach my arm awkwardly. Being able to see the dab vaporize very clearly is nice, somehow everything feels much more efficient. Overall I'm really happy with my purchase. I might try to mod it later on with a better temp controller, right now it's some sort of sliding dimmer. I would really like a notched knob, with a lot of steps, hopefully 20+, seems like a do-able mod (tho I believe nice many stepped knobs are expensive).

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Got my Analog D-Nail in :nod:

I'm pretty amazed with it so far. Though I did turn it up to max to get it heating up, didn't realize it would heat up so fast and oxidized the nail already from 1000+ temp I believe! Oops.

I love dabbing right in front of my face, whereas before I had a whip setup and had to turn my head and reach my arm awkwardly. Being able to see the dab vaporize very clearly is nice, somehow everything feels much more efficient. Overall I'm really happy with my purchase. I might try to mod it later on with a better temp controller, right now it's some sort of sliding dimmer. I would really like a notched knob, with a lot of steps, hopefully 20+, seems like a do-able mod (tho I believe nice many stepped knobs are expensive).

With that kind of dimmer, do you feel you get good fine temp control? Does the slide stay in place OK?

With that kind of dimmer, do you feel you get good fine temp control? Does the slide stay in place OK?

Seems like it stays in place pretty well. I don't really feel like I get a fine temp control, but luckily I have an IR thermometer that I've been using to track temp changes. So yeah, fine temp control seems hard for right now. I actually thought it was a stepped controller from hearing people use fractions for where the temp is.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
I just tried an analog e-nail today, had the dimmer switch thing also. As much as I want to be, i wasn't impressed. Don't know if I just need time to mess around with it myself to fine tune temps or what. Same friend has a Nectar Collector, THAT was the memorable experience of the 2 for me.

While I certainly may have tried the "entry level" version, the mega-expensive versions will have to do a much better job for me to ever invest in one. I could see where some patients may chose this over a torch and nail for ease of use though. I would definitely have to be able to try one of the more "quality" devices before I buy. Not digging it, but that doesn't mean it's not a good choice for others, :2c:.

After dialing in at a nice temp on my analog (~650 I believe), I disconnected the XLR power from the heater, instead of using the dimmer to turn it off. Reconnected the XLR this morning and it's working really well, no fussing with temps. Seems like a decent work-around to the dimmer issue for now.

herbivore21

Whoa, this thread gathered dust way too quick!

I have a DIY Dnail 1.2 on the way with a PukinBeagle 20mm quartz tapered DI nail to take up residence on my Ryu Wilson rig.

My Sublimator is to become dedicated to flowers and hashes on my Luke Wilson flower rig, whereas oils will go on the dnail in the oil rig for separation of reclaim and keeping the tastes and experiences of the two separate!

I agree the standard units are quite pricey, but the DIY unit is not so unreasonable for what appears to be the most tried and true enail.

Gotta say too that I spent a bit of time on the phone with customer service due to an issue with their new payment system, so far they have been great with service and had knowledgable staff!

They were very honest that between the D-Nail 2.0 and 1.2, there is very little practical difference unless you were gonna use it outdoors a lot or really needed a smaller unit. I really appreciated that!

Will post pics and review and maybe even milk vid after it arrives in a week or so :D

herbivore21

So the D-Nail is one of the best purchases I’ve made so far.

It arrived yesterday, I immediately unpacked it, carefully removed the bubble wrap on my new 20mm PukinBeagle DI quartz nail, gawked at said nail and how fucking huge it is, then put it on my oil rig.

I then took out the quartz carb cap, admired it, placed it on the nail, admired how it stays on top PERFECTLY with no hands, then put this aside.

Then I realized I needed to assemble my DIY D-Nail 1.2 in the hour or so I had before I had to go out.

So I got to it, took out all the components and lo and behold, assembled the whole unit in 20 mins flat. Took 2-3 small dabs of what was left on my dabber last night (some tasty Northern Lights) which kept me sky high for the rest of the morning most of the night. The cables are all pre-cut and the terminals for cables are all supplied, all you need is a small-ish phillips head screwdriver and a 2.5mm flathead screwdriver.

Now that I had assembled the unit, it was time to leave for the day, I wouldn't get to take her for a whirl til later.

When I got home, I set the temp to 710f and got out a generous dab of clear yellow THC Bomb shatter. The D-nail heated up in about 1-2 mins after turning it on. Despite having not even seasoned my nail, the dab was exquisite. I have been dabbing absolutely top notch THC bomb shatter for quite some time now, and am used to the flavour. However, on perfectly heated quartz, a clarity of flavour is there that I have never had before. If you dab high end oils, you would be remiss not to buy yourself a good quartz/ceramic enail to savour that flavour! I can’t believe how many sub-par tasting hits I have had off incredible shatter when I could have just bitten the bullet and bought an enail.

Also, my piece NEVER gets gunked up anymore, reclaim tends to gather in the bottom of the DI funnel of the nail – super convenient :D

I tend to dab at about 695f for shatter, which means effective carb capping is ESSENTIAL. The purpose made carb cap is indispensable here, just drop your bhomb/dab on the nail and carb right away to pull all the good stuff through quickly!

ung7w4P.jpg

herbivore21

Modnote: This post and 11 replies were merged into an existing thread.

So it is probably really time we had a d-nail thread.

Now I don't need to give too much introduction to a product whose name is synonymous with the word enail.

So I guess we should start this thread going over the product itself and some of the mind boggling array of different nail options on offer:

D-nail control units vary from the standard fare pid and power supply to a remote controlled unit, with new controllers on the way which will incorporate some as of yet unseen technologies in enails.

The currently available d-nail controllers are as follows:

D-nail 1.2 - Basic unit, XLR heater output, switches for both power and heater output modulated by a nice expensive PID. I've been using one of the DIY versions of this for a year or so now and it has never missed a beat.

DNail-12-MMD.jpg

D-nail 2.0 - More recent unit, copes better with factors like ambient cold and wind. Furthermore, there is a remote control supplied to turn the unit on and off. The box is smaller and the PID inside the unit can be used for many more advanced industrial/scientific applications that simple heat control - sometime in the future, I believe this functionality will be unlocked with other products provided.

dnaila.jpg

Ninja Nail - Basically a d-nail 1.2 in an enclosure whose form factor fits perfectly into a pelican case. The pelican case that the ninja nail fits will fit an oil rig and your d-nail components for easily travel.

NINJA1-Turquoise-850x1024.jpg

Ninja nail mini - Similar to the ninja nail, except that this pelican case is much smaller. It'll fit your dnail components/nail but is not likely to fit any kind of glass. The other major distinction between this and the Ninja Nail is that this unit uses an Auber PID, a tried and true controller, but not of the same quality as the PID's used in the 1.2 and 2.0 units. Please note for those who like me were interested in the NES custom d-nail (yup a working original nintendo with a d-nail built in) that this unit uses the Auber PID too.

D-Nail-Ninja-Mini-PIC3.jpg

NAILS:

Now many of you guys know that d-nail have some very unique nail options too:

Silicon Carbide Dish - A super inert, super strong aerospace ceramic which delivers taste better than anything I've experienced except for sapphire. Unlike sapphire and many other materials we make nails out of, you can torch the absolute shit out of SiC and not break it. It has extremely high thermal shock resistance and will withstand temps up to 3000f quite easily. The SiC dish at present is designed to sit atop ti nail bases, either the d-nail ti bases or the HE infiniti (what I use).

I would avoid the infiniti base, as I find the centre rod tends to buildup some nasty carbonized pale red gunk over time if not cleaned well every few days at least - try out one of the other nail bases which are much cheaper.

Further to this, IME SiC seems to vaporize your dab into a finer, denser aerosol than other materials. Thick, big clouds, quick vaporization and amazing taste are to be had with this product. This is a very new product and I know a lot of the claims seem outlandishly good, but I encourage you to find some way to try this product and see for yourself!

QjDiV2K.png

(SiC Dish with Sapphire insert on convection ledge)

Sapphire inserts - D-nail create a variety of sapphire inserts which sit in the bottom of a ti or SiC nail dish, to be dabbed upon. Sapphire is extremely high temp resistant, the tastiest material I've ever dabbed on by the longest imaginable shot. However, you shouldn't torch this except with the absolute lightest, softest end of a flame. I have cracked a sapphire insert torching it way too aggressively as I wanted to test the limits of this material (this doesn't matter, I had 3 anyway - now 2 lol).

When used in an infiniti large dish, the sapphire is delicious. However, sapphire in the bottom of the dish raises the floor of the dish, making it quite shallow and making large dabs impossible. Large dabs on this kind of conductive insert in a Ti nail will also pool over the sapphire, touching the ti and compromising the delicious sapphire flavor. I used this setup for a good few months before my SiC arrived and whilst it is amazingly tasty at super low temps (between 550-600f), it has the problems that quartz gets with pooling in this configuration. Hotter temps seem not to taste so good in this setup.

When used in the SiC dish, the sapphire insert becomes a convective platform that can be loaded with oil (which is best, smeared around the sapphire disc) and then placed on a 750f SiC nail, carbed and hit for delicious massive sublimator style clouds. This configuration is probably the tastiest way to dab that is available right now. Again, don't take my word for it, find someone who has one and try it out :)

Flower Adapter/Herb Nail - This is a very new product and as of yet, I have not used it.

However, I will have one any day now and probably will be the first to provide review/video on the internet of this thing. Watch this space if you are interested. For now, what I can say is that this herb nail is for vaping stuff in the chamber only, you will not be dabbing on top of this one like with a sublimator or Errlectric nail. I am told by those who created it that this was designed to be the master of herb vaping, rather than a jack of all trades and master of none. My thoughts on how it goes will be here in the not too distant future. Basically, this is a ti gr2 and glass airpath that seems reminiscent of a sublimator in a few ways, but the heater head is much smaller. Performance and flavor are both TBD. This comes with a flower chamber/slide, heater and glass stand as pictured below.

11377802_974479549239378_1082299698_n.jpg

Ok, I am pretty exhausted now, hopefully this gives anyone interested a good place to start with info on D-nail's current offerings since I receive PM's left and right about these things lately (I'll get back to you guys who have pm'd when time permits of course! :) ).

I will end this post with a disclaimer that I have never made money from anybody buying a d-nail save for one that I sold second hand to a friend (who has nothing to do with FC).

I am aware that I may seem suspiciously knowledgable about these products and this may make it seem like a conflict of interest is afoot. However, I simply beta test a bunch of d-nail products and chat with the guys who design the products from time to time. I have always paid for every one of the many d-nail products I've received and there is no such conflict of interest here! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom