Gear D-nail thread

shredder

The ir gun will be of no real use. If you want to know dish temp you will need a thermocouple device to get accurate reading. I suggest setting your controller to 650 and go up or down from there depending on your preference.

Different strokes I guess, but I've never had my sic halo hotter than 600° F and mostly in the low 500's. It's set at 510F currently.

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
Hot dang. Sat around staring at the sapphire halo in my cart for the entire sale. Finally got the balls to buy it this morning :p

Real excited to give her a shot!

Damn though, just wish they had kept the $280 sale price with 30% off so I could have squeezed one for just under 200, but you can't have everything.

Any sapphire tips?

Likes2vape

Different strokes I guess, but I've never had my sic halo hotter than 600° F and mostly in the low 500's. It's set at 510F currently.
510 is way to low for me 600 is the lowest I go and I’m usually up near 700. 510 would put the dish at around 420-450 and I feel like my dabs just pool and never fully vaporize at those temps. Great for flavor though.

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
I jumped on the 30% off and my SIC halo and auber rdk-200 will be here friday. I have an infrared thermometer gun, what temp should I get the SIC dish to for starting out? Thanks guys

The ir gun will be of no real use. If you want to know dish temp you will need a thermocouple device to get accurate reading. I suggest setting your controller to 650 and go up or down from there depending on your preference.

What @Likes2vape said exactly :) What kind of material are you dabbing? For shatter I'd suggest starting at 600 and adjusting from there. The more terpenes in your oil, the lower you should start. If you have some really tasty sugar wax try 550. If you have sauce try 530. These are just starting points and you'll have to adjust to account for your box and PID, your oils, and your preferences. D-nail's temperature calculator will surely be handy as you play around with things: http://www.d-nail.com/info/calculator/

Personal preference is huge some people want a single dab to vaporize everything in the dish, and some people prefer 3-5 lighter, more flavorful rips. Some folks have lungs of steel, and others have a sensitive throat and cough at decently milky vapor. One more factor; different consistencies of extracts contain different proportions of compounds, and those different compounds have different vaporization points. I dab crystalline THC and shatter around an indicated 580-600, sugar waxes in the 530-560 range, terp sauces, full melt bubble and dry sift from 480-530.

Shooby

4ShOObY3 - IG
I am using my SiC Halo @490F and i get no puddles. This temp works best for me and i dab shatter, terp sauce, cake batter, hash rosin and full melt hash at this temp. I am using a MiniNail controller and the temp really matters when you are using both the controller and nail.

I compared a Newvape controller to a MiniNail controller using the Liger and Flowerpot Dnail SiC Halo and its about a 125F to 150F difference. MiniNail was set to around 500F for the Liger and vaped everything without puddle as the Newvape was set to 625F to 675F to vape everything.

Hot dang. Sat around staring at the sapphire halo in my cart for the entire sale. Finally got the balls to buy it this morning :p

Real excited to give her a shot!

Damn though, just wish they had kept the $280 sale price with 30% off so I could have squeezed one for just under 200, but you can't have everything.

Any sapphire tips?

I did the same thing on Monday and at the end of the day, talked myself out. Woke up Tuesday and ordered it in Morning. LOL. And i did notice the price went up to $300 for the sale. But for $210 shipped, ill take it and mount this bad boy on top of the FlowerPot!

Last edited:

Baron23

I jumped on the 30% off and my SIC halo and auber rdk-200 will be here friday. I have an infrared thermometer gun, what temp should I get the SIC dish to for starting out? Thanks guys
I'm with Likes2Vape on the IR gun and a good starting point.

After a bit of experimentation, I am running my D-nail SiC halo at 640 on an RDK-300 with an D-nail flat coil. Now, I tighten my coils for better heat transfer so the difference between controller set point and actual dab temp can vary between mine and yours for this reason, if you have a fan blowing on it, ambient temp to an extent, yada, yada, yada.

Below are measurements I took using a K-type thermocouple thermometer. Hope this is useful to you but please don't necessarily expect your rig to be exactly the same...mostly its coil fit, IMO. Look to the bottom section for the most relevant data.

Also, I find it helps to preheat the carb cap on the SiC before dabbing...just a bit, you can see temp on the controller fall for a bit then start to climb again. Once it starts to climb again, I'm ready to dab.

IYlp6lX.jpg

Shooby

4ShOObY3 - IG
I'm with Likes2Vape on the IR gun and a good starting point.

After a bit of experimentation, I am running my D-nail SiC halo at 640 on an RDK-300 with an D-nail flat coil. Now, I tighten my coils for better heat transfer so the difference between controller set point and actual dab temp can vary between mine and yours for this reason, if you have a fan blowing on it, ambient temp to an extent, yada, yada, yada.

Below are measurements I took using a K-type thermocouple thermometer. Hope this is useful to you but please don't necessarily expect your rig to be exactly the same...mostly its coil fit, IMO. Look to the bottom section for the most relevant data.

Also, I find it helps to preheat the carb cap on the SiC before dabbing...just a bit, you can see temp on the controller fall for a bit then start to climb again. Once it starts to climb again, I'm ready to dab.

IYlp6lX.jpg

Thanks Baron, I remember seeing this a while ago but I didnt have a Liger back than. When i used the Ktype on my 30MM Liger and SiC insert, I had the Controller temp at 500F and the dab surface was around 445F.

Baron23

Thanks Baron, I remember seeing this a while ago but I didnt have a Liger back than. When i used the Ktype on my 30MM Liger and SiC insert, I had the Controller temp at 500F and the dab surface was around 445F.
Cool...so, that's 65 degrees delta and kind of in line with my very tight coil results (which doesn't have a coil shroud either) of 40 degrees or so.

Cheers and thanks for the feedback.

detroit_fan

What @Likes2vape said exactly :) What kind of material are you dabbing? For shatter I'd suggest starting at 600 and adjusting from there. The more terpenes in your oil, the lower you should start. If you have some really tasty sugar wax try 550. If you have sauce try 530. These are just starting points and you'll have to adjust to account for your box and PID, your oils, and your preferences. D-nail's temperature calculator will surely be handy as you play around with things: http://www.d-nail.com/info/calculator/

Thanks, I'm mostly dabbing crumble, some shatter, and a little live resin. Here in Michigan the shatter/crumble is about $40-$50 gram, the live resin $60, and the rosin $80. Sugar stuff and sauce just started showing up at my dispensary, so i havent had a chance to try it.

detroit_fan

I feel stupid for having to ask this, but I purchased the slim base with the halo, and it came today, but what exactly is the purpose of the locking collar? Just to allow the base to snug up without being all the way to the top? Can I just use the base screwed all the way up against the nail base without the collar in place? They call it a "required component" so I wasn't sure if I could go without it. I

Also, I thought I remembered reading that some people put the heater retainer on top of the coil instead of underneath it. Which way would you guys suggest? Thanks

Last edited:

Shooby

4ShOObY3 - IG
Locking collar helps prevent parts from getting stuck. I could be wrong.

I put mine under the coil. i dont see why you would want to put it over the coil. I would want direct contact from the flat coil to the halo.

buckhakeesah

Hey guys...I posted this in the liger forum but I feel this might be helpful to folks here as well.

For those of you wondering about using Liger carb caps and their compatibility with Dnail forked tips and vice versa. I can confirm, yes, they will work with one another and you can get it away with it.

The one issue I encountered was that the Liger ball dabber I have only screwed down the first one or two threads on the dnail v2 cap, just enough to hold it together, but I don't like that it doesn't screw down further. The thread pitch is definitely a different size.

Now on the other hand, the dnail forked tip went down enough to be able to secure the storm cell (1st gen V3), with air hole adjuster in place.

Hope this helps with people who wondered about this. I know I had until I finally tested it out just now.

Hey everyone. I’m trying to post in the right spot on this. I just got my first e-nail and I also went with a D-Nail Slim Series with the SiC Halo dish. So far so good, even though I kinda had to wait an extra day(today) because I brain-farted on the proprietary carb-cap I would need. Where my main question lies is in the sapphire insert I went ahead and got with it. How exactly is it supposed to be done? Any tips with it? Heat up with dish&nail or throw on after? Throw on with dab on it or dab directly on the sapphire and just drip into dish? I’ve went through Bubbleman’s videos and stuff but most info(not much) I find is catered to the older versions of the dish(non halo) and sapphire insert(sits deeper in dish instead of like a halo). Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks y’all.

shredder

Hey everyone. I’m trying to post in the right spot on this. I just got my first e-nail and I also went with a D-Nail Slim Series with the SiC Halo dish. So far so good, even though I kinda had to wait an extra day(today) because I brain-farted on the proprietary carb-cap I would need. Where my main question lies is in the sapphire insert I went ahead and got with it. How exactly is it supposed to be done? Any tips with it? Heat up with dish&nail or throw on after? Throw on with dab on it or dab directly on the sapphire and just drip into dish? I’ve went through Bubbleman’s videos and stuff but most info(not much) I find is catered to the older versions of the dish(non halo) and sapphire insert(sits deeper in dish instead of like a halo). Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks y’all.

Hey congrats on the dnail, you'll love it!

I have the insert too but havn't used it yet. I guess you heat the nail about 150 degrees hotter than normal, then smear your concentrate on the cold insert, and carefully instal the insert o.n the hot nail. I would use a tool, like hemostats or the like.

Hopefully someone who actually used their insert will reply soon. But in the mean time enjoy that sic dish. It really is something nice to hit off from.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I just tried my Sapphire Insert for the first time. I followed the methods mentioned on page 10 post 241 and the next few posts after. In short set your temp about 150F higher. With the insert cool on a clean nonstick surface put some sticky concentrate on the top side of the insert. Then use a pair of tweezers on the inside and carefully lift the insert and set it on your Dnail retaining nut. Cap it and give it about 3-5 seconds and then get busy.

My first two tries tonight with home pressed FLO rosin were very succesful following this method!

Hey congrats on the dnail, you'll love it!

I have the insert too but havn't used it yet. I guess you heat the nail about 150 degrees hotter than normal, then smear your concentrate on the cold insert, and carefully instal the insert o.n the hot nail. I would use a tool, like hemostats or the like.

Hopefully someone who actually used their insert will reply soon. But in the mean time enjoy that sic dish. It really is something nice to hit off from.

I just tried my Sapphire Insert for the first time. I followed the methods mentioned on page 10 post 241 and the next few posts after. In short set your temp about 150F higher. With the insert cool on a clean nonstick surface put some sticky concentrate on the top side of the insert. Then use a pair of tweezers on the inside and carefully lift the insert and set it on your Dnail retaining nut. Cap it and give it about 3-5 seconds and then get busy.

My first two tries tonight with home pressed FLO rosin were very succesful following this method!

Awesome. Thank you both so much. I will def give it a try real soon and at least go at it with a little more confidence. I just had no info for it except for one small sentence on the back of the box and nothing on the web. I just didn’t wanna fuck it up honestly with it being so different than the ones that sit inside the dish trench. I hadn’t heard of a “convection shelf” xD

And thanks shredder, I def expect to keep feeling good about the purchase. Hopefully anyway. :) I kinda winged it with being new to e-nails. I’m using a high5 for now but I am keeping in mind I may end up needing an upgrade on it. Some say only d-nail brand coil will work, some say otherwise. There’s so much conflicting info and with me being from an “inconvenient” state I have to order everything.

Hey guys I’m back. I took y’alls tips and did my best and used the insert for a few dabs since yesterday. I smeared a med dab or so of wax/budder around the sapphire insert and then used SS/ceramic tweezers to place it on top. My box was set at 760ish; even though I know that’s arbitrary on cheaper brands of e-nails. After dropping it in and capping, it started to pull/milk after only a second or two...seemed right and was def smooth. My issue now comes with the fact that the damn thing keeps wanting to fall into the dish trench all the damn time. No matter how careful I try to be with the cap. I would think this might start to stick with a little use... but if I keep it clean will this always be a problem? Sorry if I’m totally n00bin here.

Also I feel like D-Nail should call the two different sapphire inserts different names because they definitely don’t seem to function the same. But I took a pic after when it was cooling off and before I removed it(heard that was advised somewhere, idk) just to make sure I’m calling it right. Thanks again for y’alls help.

qVIHsZb.jpg

Edit: btw I noticed two more things. First, this e-nail and d-nail setup is SUPER efficient—I’m using much less with it and getting more out of what I am. And second, I’m noticing a larger amount of reclaim build up than I normally get. It’s not happening in the reclaim catch much at all, but very rapidly building up in the chamber above the water line noticeably after each hit. Like it’s condensing more than before—I suspect it’s temperature related but I’m not really sure. Thoughts there? Such generic search terms haven’t yielded me much results there either.

Last edited:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
And second, I’m noticing a larger amount of reclaim build up than I normally get. It’s not happening in the reclaim catch much at all, but very rapidly building up in the chamber above the water line noticeably after each hit. Like it’s condensing more than before—I suspect it’s temperature related but I’m not really sure.
With my enail I noticed the higher the temp you use for dabbing, the more reclaim in your water tool. I use mine between 490°F- 540°F and get minimal reclaim.... my thoughts...

With my enail I noticed the higher the temp you use for dabbing, the more reclaim in your water tool. I use mine between 490°F- 540°F and get minimal reclaim.... my thoughts...

Awesome thank you. I was thinking temperature too in the reclaim condensing and I will def try that out ASAP. I didn’t know whether it would be using too high or too low of temp that would do cause it though, just had a feeling it was related. I’ve been trying to lower my temp down gradually as I get used to it(only been 2/3 days) but when I got to trying the sapphire insert out, everyone said to raise the temp like 100-150 higher than without it. I didn’t see the need to go quite that high, 750-60 was plenty hot enough but I’ll def be glad to lower it some more. And plus I never invested in an IR gun so I’m mostly estimating the best I can based on the digital read-out. I have no clue how accurate the high5 temp readings are; or if it’s numbers are even consistent from time to time. But so far I think I’m getting the hang of most of it all. And I definitely am appreciative of the help I’ve gotten here.

Shooby

4ShOObY3 - IG
I spent the weekend with my new Sapphire Halo on my Flowerpot and WOW. just WOW compared to SiC Halo. Even my buddy was shocked how different it taste and how it was smoother on the throat.

One issue with the Sapphire Halo i have is, how do you keep this thing clean? I dont get puddles and all the material dries up in the Halo and leaves a stain.

Is the only way to clean it, is by heating the nail up to 800F and scrap it off?

****Edit***

For my SiC insert and Halo and even my Sapphire Insert, I leave them soaking in Distilled water at room temp for 30 mins or so and that works great. But this is not working on the sapphire halo as its not polished and textured surface.

Last edited:
Top Bottom