Gear D-nail thread

herbivore21

Naw brand new, I mashed the sic in there, not tight but so it wouldn't fall out. I didn't try hard to get it out, the base was pretty hot,...gotta assume the base expanded and got a tight grip on it before cooling...I'm thinking it don't need 60+sec torch time, I'll try with a timer or something. Also the sic dish has a flush middle hole. But yeah for sure the scalding hot dabs would be nice if you had to conserve. The flavor isnt like ceramic(which I don't like, give it a food taste I'm)

Still pretty used to banger style, never had a setup like this where the cap seals so nice...only grip is the hive base rocking back and forth a little but its not going anywhere...a tag 18mm male is a lil oversized.
Oh I never noticed that the torch SiC dish from D-nail had a flush centre hole, that must allow for reasonable carb function with most any cap! Good to know ;)

I am very sure that you could achieve good results with faster torching times with SiC, please do let us know of what warm up and cool down times work for you here. You are one of very few people that I know with the torch only SiC!

I do wonder if that Hive base may have been a little sloppy with the tolerances if it is a little wobbly on your GonG joint and the dish seems to have gotten stuck also? Might be worth calling or emailing d-nail CS to query on that one.

herbivore21,

Eatrocks

Oh I never noticed that the torch SiC dish from D-nail had a flush centre hole, that must allow for reasonable carb function with most any cap! Good to know ;)

I am very sure that you could achieve good results with faster torching times with SiC, please do let us know of what warm up and cool down times work for you here. You are one of very few people that I know with the torch only SiC!

I do wonder if that Hive base may have been a little sloppy with the tolerances if it is a little wobbly on your GonG joint and the dish seems to have gotten stuck also? Might be worth calling or emailing d-nail CS to query on that one.

Any standard ti cap will fit perfectly, just watched her milk up over and over whilst pulsing my finger on the carb hole...till it got too hot lolol.....BUT there is virtually zero draw when carb hole is covered. Very easy to clean as hoped too.

Need more time to fig out a good torch time...all the current info on sic is for the halo which is much bigger than the dish. So far feels about same heat up/cool down as quartz. 45ish seconds with med hi flame.

Eatrocks,
Reactions: shredder

herbivore21

Any standard ti cap will fit perfectly, just watched her milk up over and over whilst pulsing my finger on the carb hole...till it got too hot lolol.....BUT there is virtually zero draw when carb hole is covered. Very easy to clean as hoped too.
Wonderful news man! Also understandable that the torch timings might need some more trial and error to figure out, please let us know when you feel that you've got it dialled, I'm sure there'll be a few of us interested :D

herbivore21,

Eatrocks

Wonderful news man! Also understandable that the torch timings might need some more trial and error to figure out, please let us know when you feel that you've got it dialled, I'm sure there'll be a few of us interested :D

Ok, for sure it takes longer than quartz, the sic seems to cool down quick, not quartz quick. Good feel for when it's at good temp by checking with my palm..heat goes away much quicker than quartz but I was expecting that. It's more like a 5 second cool down before a dab, so I like that. I do find small puddles with biggish dabs, I see the benefit of the enail/sic for sure.

Eatrocks,

shredder

Ok, for sure it takes longer than quartz, the sic seems to cool down quick, not quartz quick. Good feel for when it's at good temp by checking with my palm..heat goes away much quicker than quartz but I was expecting that. It's more like a 5 second cool down before a dab, so I like that. I do find small puddles with biggish dabs, I see the benefit of the enail/sic for sure.

Just curious, how does the taste compare between sic and quartz?

I have a sic dnail, but I've never taken a dab hit off quartz, or a torch hit off a sic dish for that matter.

shredder,

Eatrocks

Just curious, how does the taste compare between sic and quartz?

I have a sic dnail, but I've never taken a dab hit off quartz, or a torch hit off a sic dish for that matter.

Hmmm, well I didn't notice a lot a first, the main thing is on quartz the taste is very stale when u go to clear or cap the remaining puddle. When u hit off quartz too hot it's REALLY bad in comparison

Eatrocks,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I would kinda agree, it is a smaller footprint but I do not see any real advancements from their previous designs.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: Tomfool86

herbivore21

D-Nail has released a new control unit, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. Instead of their super expensive PID, they used the cheapest one on the market which essentially makes it a China e-nail in a painted case for twice the price.

http://www.d-nail.com/vaporizers/controllers/aluminum-d-nail-beta-mini-digital-control-station

I would kinda agree, it is a smaller footprint but I do not see any real advancements from their previous designs.

This product has been on the way for a long time. It was not intended to be anything but a cheaper d-nail controller. This was not meant to be any kind of upgrade. You'll note it is close to the price of their analog d-nail, and is also backed with d-nails service and a 2 year warranty. I'd pay for this over a cheap chinese device because I know if something fucks up, d-nail will actually cover it! The rest of the current d-nail range will remain the same IIRC.

This product is simply there to fill out the low end of the d-nail range with something better for use with halos (especially the quartz, which could not be used with analog) than the analog.

EDIT: Holy shit! I just went onto the d-nail page to buy the full kit with this controller, you can get this controller with a flat coil, slim series base and SiC halo for $280 USD! Add the forked dabber and carb and you're at $340 usd.

That is a good buy IMO. You can also choose to get a lifetime warranty on the controller for an extra $100 USD just like you could with any other d-nail controller. No other vendor provides a cheap e-nail controller like this with top of the line next gen nails and an option for lifetime warranty!

Last edited:

herbivore21

Didn't know this is how the base goes. Whats the exact need for that small retainer?
IME it actually minimizes heat on the GonG joint when used in this way vs without. It may also assist in preventing one from over tightening the base adapter part of the slim series to the heatsink section.

The PTFE joint protectors are not all that new, but I would suggest caution using PTFE in contact with hot materials. Low molecular weight fractions of PTFE polymers can sublimate at temps much lower than what is known to cause PTFE to offgas (this has been recorded to occur at temps below 400f!) and I do not suggest use of PTFE in this way where it can be avoided. D-nail do of course provide advice for safe usage; if anyone uses a PTFE protector, please do not heat clean your nails while in contact with the PTFE!

MileHighHuman

IME it actually minimizes heat on the GonG joint when used in this way vs without. It may also assist in preventing one from over tightening the base adapter part of the slim series to the heatsink section.

The PTFE joint protectors are not all that new, but I would suggest caution using PTFE in contact with hot materials. Low molecular weight fractions of PTFE polymers can sublimate at temps much lower than what is known to cause PTFE to offgas (this has been recorded to occur at temps below 400f!) and I do not suggest use of PTFE in this way where it can be avoided. D-nail do of course provide advice for safe usage; if anyone uses a PTFE protector, please do not heat clean your nails while in contact with the PTFE!

How does one unlock an over tighten base? Ive tried torching it orange hot and using pliers to then try and twist them apart, but I'm not having much luck. Mine might just be stuck together forever :uhoh:

MileHighHuman,

shredder

How does one unlock an over tighten base? Ive tried torching it orange hot and using pliers to then try and twist them apart, but I'm not having much luck. Mine might just be stuck together forever :uhoh:

Maybe try soaking it in ISO alcohol. Gentle heat may help. Iso is flammable tho so be careful.

I would use a coffee warmer and put the nail in a glass measuring cup, and give a couple hours.

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
I'm grabbing a sic halo and I'm really tempted by the sapphire insert. To use it you need to put it on when the nail is already hot right? That's my only concern, I just see myself constantly getting burned doing that. I was going to go check out youtube and see how people are doing it on there.

shredder

I'm grabbing a sic halo and I'm really tempted by the sapphire insert. To use it you need to put it on when the nail is already hot right? That's my only concern, I just see myself constantly getting burned doing that. I was going to go check out youtube and see how people are doing it on there.

Good question!

I actually have the insert, but have yet to use it. The sic dish works great and so far I've not been tempted into using the insert yet.

I do believe I read that someone, maybe herbivore, puts it on after smearing some concentrate on it and carefully drops it in place, on a hot nail.

You also need to bump the heat up by 150° or so, again from my reading not personal experience.

Anyway enjoy your dnail rig, it really rocks!

herbivore21

Good question my friend, I typically use bull-nosed plyers wrapped in nitrile or silicone or PTFE (make sure whatever polymer you use, it is thick so you don't scrape your titanium!) to loosen this kind of sticking. Use a vise to hold the rest of the base while you loosen it. Again, protect all surfaces of your nail/base with polymers when using these tools to grip them, you don't wanna damage things!

An initial long warm iso soak as @shredder suggests will also help make the plyer task easier, although the plyers may still be required.

I do believe I read that someone, maybe herbivore, puts it on after smearing some concentrate on it and carefully drops it in place, on a hot nail.
That's right, I typically used a small set of tweezers to do this. You're also right about bumping up the temp, something in the order of what you describe will work, but I encourage everybody to experiment and see what they enjoy best ;)

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
^^^ Yep, that's how used it as well, ~150-200* higher than normal.
Paint the insert (maybe a little sticky sauce and then stick some solids to it).
Drop it on (use tweezers to pick it up by squeezing them together and let them open up inside the insert, get it over the locking nut and drop it on by closing the tweezers).
Wait until you the first hint of vapor escaping the carb-cap hole and draw away!

:peace:

herbivore21

Paint the insert (maybe a little sticky sauce and then stick some solids to it).
Drop it on (use tweezers to pick it up by squeezing them together and let them open up inside the insert, get it over the locking nut and drop it on by closing the tweezers).
Wait until you the first hint of vapor escaping the carb-cap hole and draw away!

All good advice :D

Sticky sauce application first is very important if you are using shatter that will not stay stuck to the insert as you place it onto your nail!

shredder

How does the taste compare to a sic halo dish? Does extract drip down on the dish?

MileHighHuman

Good question my friend, I typically use bull-nosed plyers wrapped in nitrile or silicone or PTFE (make sure whatever polymer you use, it is thick so you don't scrape your titanium!) to loosen this kind of sticking. Use a vise to hold the rest of the base while you loosen it. Again, protect all surfaces of your nail/base with polymers when using these tools to grip them, you don't wanna damage things!

An initial long warm iso soak as @shredder suggests will also help make the plyer task easier, although the plyers may still be required.

That's right, I typically used a small set of tweezers to do this. You're also right about bumping up the temp, something in the order of what you describe will work, but I encourage everybody to experiment and see what they enjoy best ;)

Just wanted to confirm that pliers with grip type pad in-between worked with mine. And also people do know that it may take multiple attempts before success. (Like many other things. Lol)

But after re positing that ring to the correct spot, I've found it makes the dish much more loose. There's like a gap that allows the flat coil to slide around. I know its best not to have it super tight, but i actually prefer how i had the smallest ring underneath the larger heat retainer. It makes everything perfectly snug. Might be because I'm using a High Five Vape flat coil?

Just my :2c:

Last edited:

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Last night I couldn't sleep and was vaping at about 1:30am when I decided to go to the d-nail site to look at the sic halo dish page and think about it for the 100th time. No idea how I missed it before, but I saw they were having a 20% off 4th of july sale that ended on the 5th. I realized it was 1:30am on July 6th and let out a Vader "noooooooooooooo." I figured what the hell and added it to the cart to see if the code still worked. It did so I said fuck it and ordered the dish, base, and sapphire insert. Can't wait to try them out.

Thank you dnail for not ending your sale on time. I was a little tempted to grab a sapphire halo at 20% off... next time.

Also thank you @herbivore21 and @alittledabwilldoya' for the info. Tweezers sound perfect, especially holding it by opening them in the center insert hole and then just closing them to drop it on. I've got some lighted tweezers I got with my sticky brick that will be perfect.

Baron23

Last night I couldn't sleep and was vaping at about 1:30am when I decided to go to the d-nail site to look at the sic halo dish page and think about it for the 100th time. No idea how I missed it before, but I saw they were having a 20% off 4th of july sale that ended on the 5th. I realized it was 1:30am on July 6th and let out a Vader "noooooooooooooo." I figured what the hell and added it to the cart to see if the code still worked. It did so I said fuck it and ordered the dish, base, and sapphire insert. Can't wait to try them out.

Thank you dnail for not ending your sale on time. I was a little tempted to grab a sapphire halo at 20% off... next time.

Also thank you @herbivore21 and @alittledabwilldoya' for the info. Tweezers sound perfect, especially holding it by opening them in the center insert hole and then just closing them to drop it on. I've got some lighted tweezers I got with my sticky brick that will be perfect.

Oh shit...I just ordered a Slim Line with SiC yesterday and didn't have any code!!

Can you please share the code? Chances are they won't honor it....but worth asking.

Ooops, never mind...found it.

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Sic Halo has been great. I'm liking the slim base with it too, they've got a really well put together nail. The sapphire insert has been insane to use, flavor is definitely better. I don't know how to quantify it, not quite double the flavor of the sic, maybe 1/3 or 1/4. First time I tried it I nearly drooled into my bubbler. Just really impressed with the flavor coming off it. I still feel like I might be using it a little wrong though. When I load it up like I see on youtube I get one decent (not giant) hit, then a medium, then a smaller, then wispy stuff. Seems to take longer than it does for them, also a lot of youtubers don't carb cap it which I don't get. Pulling really hard seem to get thicker vapor, but I figured that was because some of it had slipped off the insert and into the dish or onto the nail. I'm ok not getting huge clouds, just seems wrong it produces vapor for so long. I was going off the below d-nail chart to set the temp, I got the sic dish at 725 before I dropped it on.

Though one weird thing is I don't feel it nearly as much as I think I should. If I do the same amount off the sic it hits me way harder.

SiC.jpg

I made a video, sorry it's a little dark. I would of made it a little shorter and put music over it but It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was playing over it and I thought the timing on it was funny.

I'd appreciate any tips if you see me doing something wrong.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Mixed feelings with my dnail.

I love having an enail of my own around, but I constantly feel the unit is underperforming.
I am now dialed up to 740* on small less than rice grain size drops using the SiC.

Bubbles at first for a millisecond, then pools and just sits in the dish. Cannot get efficient vaporization.
The pooling will give light production for MANY pulls, but taste turns south after the first 2 or 3.

I Qtip every pull, I clean religiously. Coil is flat, everything in the system is wrenched tight as can be by hand. Should I really have to be cranking the temp dial all the way into the high 800s or even hotter just to achieve full vaporization? It just does not seem right when everyone else is in the high 500's with good success.

Taste is great on the SiC, but the cleaner in me does not like it. I have tried heat cleaning on the base, I have tried torch cleaning, and I have tried scrubbing the shit out of it with Iso toothpicks and qtips. I have accepted that this dish will never look and clean up like it was new. I like Quartz in that regard as it looks perfect for a red carpet after a cleaning.

Monsoon

Mixed feelings with my dnail.

I love having an enail of my own around, but I constantly feel the unit is underperforming.
I am now dialed up to 740* on small less than rice grain size drops using the SiC.

Bubbles at first for a millisecond, then pools and just sits in the dish. Cannot get efficient vaporization.
The pooling will give light production for MANY pulls, but taste turns south after the first 2 or 3.

I Qtip every pull, I clean religiously. Coil is flat, everything in the system is wrenched tight as can be by hand. Should I really have to be cranking the temp dial all the way into the high 800s or even hotter just to achieve full vaporization? It just does not seem right when everyone else is in the high 500's with good success.

Taste is great on the SiC, but the cleaner in me does not like it. I have tried heat cleaning on the base, I have tried torch cleaning, and I have tried scrubbing the shit out of it with Iso toothpicks and qtips. I have accepted that this dish will never look and clean up like it was new. I like Quartz in that regard as it looks perfect for a red carpet after a cleaning.
You don't mention using the carb cap, that's probably the missing link. If you are using a carb cap then it sounds like it's time to replace your coil.

Top Bottom