D-Nail Sic Dish + Cap

EpicNameGuy

Sorry to make a new thread for this but wasn't sure where else was most appropriate. I was entertaining getting a SIC dish, but I no longer see the carp cap for it available?

What should I be looking for as far as a compatible carb cap?

EpicNameGuy

Just wanted to mention that while d-nail has brought the cap back into stock, they are charging 55 for it + an additional 20 for the handle. Not sure if that was the way it was before or not, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck paying $75 just for a cap. I though $55 was on the high side on its own.

Sorry, but they just charge too much for basically everything. Figured I'd spread the word for those who care though.

PoopMachine

Yea.. I have the SIC dish and you gotta have the cap. Id probably get a Liger if I had to buy a base for the SIC dish given how much the cap costs. That will probably be my next purchase after we get back from Amsterdam next month.

hashmasta kut

oil vapes the best!
I carb cap my Sic dish with a curve, its actually a curve capper, and the vapor is sucked up through the curve, not the nail.

hashmasta kut,

herbivore21

Would the Highly Educated ParTiCap work for the D-nail dish?
Unfortunately, I do not believe this is compatible my friend.

I have recently discovered that the jars I use to store full melt hash are a perfect cap for the d-nail halos, and can be had for a very low price. They can even be left atop the halo and prevent vapor from escaping from the halo when left on in this manner. It is not at all sketchy and stays in place remarkably well! I am currently looking for an online reseller that will be useful to you guys who are interested, and will share when I do, since my source is not an online store unfortunately. When I find them for you guys, many of you who wanna spend less on a carb that works will love this I think, this option is <$10 USD!

However, I have to say the universal 2.0 cap definitely provides quicker and fuller vaporization though.

BTW, remember, especially Infiniti/SiC dish users that the slim series base is much, much cheaper than the infiniti and actually made the SiC dishes quite a bit more affordable. $180 at current pricing for the D-nail slim series, SiC dish and universal 2.0 carb with the fork dabber. That's before using Bubbleman's 10% discount code 'STAYMELTY' (may be lower case). The cost for the above with the sapphire insert as well is $220.

For price comparison with the only relevant other nail: $235 is the current pricing for the 20mm liger with SiC insert and storm cap. $225 for the 16mm with SiC and storm cap.

Last edited:

EpicNameGuy

I have a domeless.com ceramic nail + cap that works well enough, but a friend foolishly dropped the cap onto my rug and contaminated the surfaces and my cleaning attempts failed. So, I was entertaining other options vs investing in a 3rd cap even though its maybe $30-$35.

The SiC is definitely interesting, but I can't go back to dabbing without a cap and obviously we know the SiC dish is larger and hence many existing caps aren't a good fit.

I have no doubt the d-nail cap does it's job, I just don't know if it does a $75 dollar job. For me, it'd possibly need to occasionally load a dab for me all on its own and possibly also make me a sandwich after lol. $55 was a hard enough price for a simple cap. That's just an opinion though - it's all relative.

I think $80 is a decent price tag for the halo already, but it's gotten rave reviews and is a unique material among the competition, Liger being the only exception I'm aware of. If there are other sources for SiC, please point me in the right direction though.

Thanks @herbivore21 for the 'STAYMELTY' code. I knew there was one mentioned here before but couldn't find it anywhere. 10% definitely helps.. I just tried to use the code during the checkout process just to get a better sense of the cost and actually didn't see anywhere to supply a code. I know it was there before as I saw it the other day... am I overlooking it?

Also I know this was covered in another thread, but it's hard to get an accurate answer there and there's a lot of cross talk... Does anyone know if the Infiniti universal Knock off e-nail that Auber supplied with their e-nail is compatible with the SiC halo? I believe it was said to fit but had a minor fitment issue due to slightly different threading. Any confirmation on compatibility there is highly appreciated.

Edit: @herbivore21 I found where to supply the code. However, it turns out that since the dish is on sale, this discount code is not usable.

Last edited:

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
I've tried the SiC dish and at this point am not interested in investing with D-Nail. I think I'll be trying Highly Educated's quartz halo, or perhaps the Santa Cruz Shredder with quartz top.

herbivore21

I have a domeless.com ceramic nail + cap that works well enough, but a friend foolishly dropped the cap onto my rug and contaminated the surfaces and my cleaning attempts failed. So, I was entertaining other options vs investing in a 3rd cap even though its maybe $30-$35.

The SiC is definitely interesting, but I can't go back to dabbing without a cap and obviously we know the SiC dish is larger and hence many existing caps aren't a good fit.

I have no doubt the d-nail cap does it's job, I just don't know if it does a $75 dollar job. For me, it'd possibly need to occasionally load a dab for me all on its own and possibly also make me a sandwich after lol. $55 was a hard enough price for a simple cap. That's just an opinion though - it's all relative.

I think $80 is a decent price tag for the halo already, but it's gotten rave reviews and is a unique material among the competition, Liger being the only exception I'm aware of. If there are other sources for SiC, please point me in the right direction though.

Thanks @herbivore21 for the 'STAYMELTY' code. I knew there was one mentioned here before but couldn't find it anywhere. 10% definitely helps.. I just tried to use the code during the checkout process just to get a better sense of the cost and actually didn't see anywhere to supply a code. I know it was there before as I saw it the other day... am I overlooking it?

Also I know this was covered in another thread, but it's hard to get an accurate answer there and there's a lot of cross talk... Does anyone know if the Infiniti universal Knock off e-nail that Auber supplied with their e-nail is compatible with the SiC halo? I believe it was said to fit but had a minor fitment issue due to slightly different threading. Any confirmation on compatibility there is highly appreciated.

Edit: @herbivore21 I found where to supply the code. However, it turns out that since the dish is on sale, this discount code is not usable.
Oh damn man, that sucks on the carb cap for your domeless.com. I repped those nails big time (still do actually lol) before I started using the infiniti with sapphire insert and eventually moving on to the halos. Best cheap nail out there IMO.

Holy shit I forgot to say, the d-nail carb cap works with the HE screw in dabbers for their og carb caps! I just bought the cap itself and used the dabber I already had from my existing HE carb. I believe some vendors actually sell the HE screw-in dabbers separately pretty cheaply!

Damn I forgot the discounts given from bundling the SiC dish with slim series and carb mean that they don't let you use online discount codes. That code will work for anyone looking for other non-bundled/non-sale items though :)

PoopMachine

I've tried the SiC dish and at this point am not interested in investing with D-Nail. I think I'll be trying Highly Educated's quartz halo, or perhaps the Santa Cruz Shredder with quartz top.

The SIC dish is nice.. the rest of the stuff, while also nice, isnt any better than anything else. I know the fanboys will say otherwise but I own multiple setups from $100 controllers to the 1.3 Dnail and they all work pretty much the same. The Dnail MIGHT be a little better with temperature control.. Id have to do a side by side to even be sure of that.

herbivore21

The SIC dish is nice.. the rest of the stuff, while also nice, isnt any better than anything else. I know the fanboys will say otherwise but I own multiple setups from $100 controllers to the 1.3 Dnail and they all work pretty much the same. The Dnail MIGHT be a little better with temperature control.. Id have to do a side by side to even be sure of that.
The d-nail nails are definitely IME better than anything else out there that I have used (almost every popular nail from the very cheap to the very expensive by now lol). Even the v1 flat ti dish with sapphire insert is better than the majority of other nails I have ever used, ranging in price from $10-$300.

This v1/sapphire insert configuration is an extremely cheap setup to get one into dabbing on sapphire surface! I want to go on the record as saying that I actually prefer sapphire as a conductive surface rather than convection :)

If I hadn't accidentally dropped the sapphire insert (fully my error lol), I'd have already replaced my SiC dish with the v1 ti dish + sapphire combo on my bedside dab rig!

However, I've got to agree that the d-nail controllers, whilst technically much more advanced than others, are not necessarily functionally better for most people's needs. In other words, yes, the D-nail PID's will last a lifetime and have technical capabilities well beyond our needs (especially the 2.0 unit!) and applications for 90% of dabbing people - however, unless you are using your controller with other finely calibrated equipment not specifically for dabbing (I do) and not just enails - the main/possibly only significant benefit of the d-nail controllers is the longevity of the device. The additional capabilities are not going to be meaningful for most.

Of course, with this knowledge, many will be happy to take the gamble on a very cheap controller paired with a high quality nail of their choice and reputable heat coil to match, knowing that they have funds left over to replace one or maybe even two faulty controllers before it starts costing more. That isn't unreasonable at all. It really depends how much funds you have for an enail and what you are comfortable with :)

PoopMachine

My Auber and Terpz unit both ran 24x7 for at least a year without a hiccup. The display on my Terpz unit started getting funky but the unit still worked. The 1.3 is a nice controller. I expected better temperature control but it is what it is. I wish they had an upgrade option like Haze does. Sucks a new controller is coming out after just buying their latest and greatest.

EpicNameGuy

Lol, @herbivore21 it totally sucked when the domeless.com cap became a casualty. Oh well though.

Overall I've been happy with the ceramic nail itself but I find that my PIC temps need to be in the 750-780 range to get worthwhile hits. It doesn't bother me that much, but I do see everyone claim even w/ that nail to be more in the 690 area and I'd just be getting low vapor and making reclaim at those temps.

So, there is definitely appeal in going SiC for me, but the high-ish price for the dish + the cap situation + my auber universal nail probably not being a complete match for the dish sort of makes it a little too much of an investment for me at this time.

I'm actually surprised because it's been quite some time and only Liger seems to offer a SiC option. I know of no other vendors offering it. Oh well :/

loadthetrenchdawg

BTW, remember, especially Infiniti/SiC dish users that the slim series base is much, much cheaper than the infiniti and actually made the SiC dishes quite a bit more affordable. $180 at current pricing for the D-nail slim series, SiC dish and universal 2.0 carb with the fork dabber. That's before using Bubbleman's 10% discount code 'STAYMELTY' (may be lower case). The cost for the above with the sapphire insert as well is $220.

For price comparison with the only relevant other nail: $235 is the current pricing for the 20mm liger with SiC insert and storm cap. $225 for the 16mm with SiC and storm cap.

Not an accurate comparison.

Slim Series($50) + SIC Dish($80 - $10 = $70) + Carb cap($55) + (1) dabber tool($20) + 45* adapter($35)(If the aim is to match functionality) = $230

Liger 20mm Body($105) + 20mm SIC insert($85) + Storm Cap w/ (4) Dabber tools($45) = $235 - 10% = $211.50

The Liger is setup is cheaper and provides more variety to boot.

Even assuming the 45* adapter is left out of the Dnail setup, the gap is around $20 in Dnail's favor. Minus 3 dabber tools and 45* functionality of course.

Last edited:
loadthetrenchdawg,

herbivore21

Not an accurate comparison.

Slim Series + SIC Dish + Carb cap + (1) dabber tool + 45* adapter(If the aim is to match functionality) = $230

Liger 20mm Body + 20mm SIC insert + Storm Cap w/ (4) Dabber tools = $235 - 10% = $211.50

The Liger is setup is cheaper and provides more variety to boot.

Even assuming the 45* adapter is left out of the Dnail setup, the gap is around $20 in Dnail's favor. Minus 3 dabber tools and 45* functionality of course.
The price you quoted above does not take into account cheaper bundling options. The setup you discussed above from dnail with 45 degree adapter is actually $215 when this is taken into account.

All fluctuating discounts aside though, how about we compare individual items to get the most apples and apples comparison possible from a raw materials/manufacturing point of view.

D-nail SiC Halo without anything else - $80-

Liger 20mm SiC insert without anything else - $85-

You now understand my contention. What justifies more cost for the Liger SiC, which uses considerably less of the same raw material manufactured into a simpler shape (SiC is manufactured using a chemical process so simpler shapes will have more of an effect on cost than comparably different CNC machined ti pieces might for example)?

Also I only need one dabber tip for one carb cap/enail, 4 dabbers does not help me at all and I'd rather save the cash. Also I do not use 45 degree angled joints - but even for those who do need 45 degree compatibility - my point is that the Liger has a higher amount of ti (and a cheaper grade!) and lower amount of SiC than the d-nail version. SiC is a more expensive raw material than ti before we take into account the differences in manufacturing costs to get that raw material in the desired shape.

Last edited:
herbivore21,

loadthetrenchdawg

The price you quoted above does not take into account cheaper bundling options. The setup you discussed above from dnail with 45 degree adapter is actually $215 when this is taken into account.

All fluctuating discounts aside though, how about we compare individual items to get the most apples and apples comparison possible from a raw materials/manufacturing point of view.

D-nail SiC Halo without anything else - $80-

Liger 20mm SiC insert without anything else - $85-

You now understand my contention. What justifies more cost for the Liger SiC, which uses considerably less of the same raw material manufactured into a simpler shape (SiC is manufactured using a chemical process so simpler shapes will have more of an effect on cost than comparably different CNC machined ti pieces might for example)?

Also I only need one dabber tip for one carb cap/enail, 4 dabbers does not help me at all and I'd rather save the cash. Also I do not use 45 degree angled joints - but even for those who do need 45 degree compatibility - my point is that the Liger has a higher amount of ti (and a cheaper grade!) and lower amount of SiC than the d-nail version. SiC is a more expensive raw material than ti before we take into account the differences in manufacturing costs to get that raw material in the desired shape.

What cheaper bundle option? The only bundle I am aware of is the -$10 for the Sic + slim series. I'm still coming out to $230.

Comparing the items piece by piece is silly. Dnail has to give you a dish and base or else the nail is unusable. The Liger is a working unit(w/ 45* adapter). The inherit difference in design makes the comparison fall flat. Besides, we aren't discussing who has the cheapest entry level cost, but which setup is the better value overall.

You don't have a use for multiple dabber tips? Crumble with a ball point? Sap with a flat head? I find it funny you said you'd rather save the money. You own two Dnail dabber tools yourself(As far as your sig goes anyway). So two carb caps(Since you don't need multiple tips for one cap). So you'd rather spend ~$140 bucks vs $45 so you don't have to change tips?

Lets try your piece by piece comparison.

Dnail carb cap and 1 dabber tool - $70-

Storm cap and 4 dabber tools -$45-

What justifies a $70 carb cap??? The design was "borrowed" from HE so we aren't talking RnD pushing cost up.

Both setups know where to make their cash. CCA can't charge $70 for a cap because it's a banger. People would use anything flat. Dnail SIC dish doesn't fit anything but the Dnail cap, so they can.

CCA makes up the profit gap with the inserts cost. Dnail makes up the profit gap on the cap. Both are unjustified in cost.

Unless I've missed some other bundle deal besides just the -$10 for the dish, then I stand by the Liger being the better value. If the cost of materials for the proprietary inserts bothers you, I can only assume the cost of the Dnail carb caps enrages you.

loadthetrenchdawg,
Reactions: matthend

herbivore21

Man if you can't agree that on pure cost of material/manufacturing (accepting that both companies use a lot of R & D on the nails - forget carbs for a moment I'll get to them later), there is a substantial markup on the liger SiC well beyond any possible markup on the SiC Halo then we are at an impasse. It can't be any clearer.

With the carbs, the Liger carb fits only CCA nails AFAIK and the dnail carb works with just about every nail you'll ever find (from different companies too!), almost without exception.

My entire SiC halo setup at the time I purchased was $180 USD retail (no discounts, bundled with slim series) - and this was including the 45 degree adapter, carb, slim series base and SiC halo. This was the same price a few days ago bundled with the slim series before the halos ran out and the d-nail site stopped letting you bundle the halo til they get new stock.

The 45 degree adapter was given to me for free instead of one of the slim series bases (they come with two base joint options - I opted for one base and got the 45 adapter). On the dabbers, you made a fair effort at a zinger based on what I own in my sig - but unfortunately for your zinger attempt; I have two dabber tips because I already had one from my old HE carb cap - I only ever bought one dabber tip from dnail ;)

As I've said before, I'm not arguing with outside speculators about shit which is now the topic of legal proceedings (with regard to the HE vs D-nail beef).

Regardless of whether you concede my argument on the inserts or not - I'm not gonna be replying to anymore comments on this one man. You've had about 1.5 hours of my time today, nothing personal!

All the best to you.

EDIT: For explicit clarification, my comparison of price was as put into a shopping basket on each manufacturer's respective site back when I made the first post in this conversation. There is no way around it, the d-nail bundle when purchased with the slim series bundle and SiC halo/cap
(for those wanting to see, this option is not offered on the dnail site right now while the halos are out of stock for obvious reasons) is cheaper than the same from Liger - unless you want the 45 degree functionality - even if you don't get/choose to substitute it instead of a slim series base base so it costs nothing extra like I did, is still bringing you up to the same price as the Liger options with 10% discount. This is based off the pricing in the bundle when halo options are enabled as was the case when my first post regarding this in this thread was made. There is no magic work with the numbers here though - these were the quotes as per each respective company's web page.

Last edited:
herbivore21,

loadthetrenchdawg

Man if you can't agree that on pure cost of material/manufacturing (accepting that both companies use a lot of R & D on the nails - forget carbs for a moment I'll get to them later), there is a substantial markup on the liger SiC well beyond any possible markup on the SiC Halo then we are at an impasse. It can't be any clearer.

With the carbs, the Liger carb fits only CCA nails AFAIK and the dnail carb works with just about every nail you'll ever find (from different companies too!), almost without exception.

My entire SiC halo setup at the time I purchased was $180 USD retail (no discounts, bundled with slim series) - and this was including the 45 degree adapter, carb, slim series base and SiC halo. This was the same price a few days ago bundled with the slim series before the halos ran out and the d-nail site stopped letting you bundle the halo til they get new stock.

The 45 degree adapter was given to me for free instead of one of the slim series bases (they come with two base joint options - I opted for one base and got the 45 adapter). On the dabbers, you made a fair effort at a zinger based on what I own in my sig - but unfortunately for your zinger attempt; I have two dabber tips because I already had one from my old HE carb cap - I only ever bought one dabber tip from dnail ;)

As I've said before, I'm not arguing with outside speculators about shit which is now the topic of legal proceedings (with regard to the HE vs D-nail beef).

Regardless of whether you concede my argument on the inserts or not - I'm not gonna be replying to anymore comments on this one man. You've had about 1.5 hours of my time today, nothing personal!

All the best to you.

It's like you just disregarded my point right off the bat. Dnail isn't doing anything CCA isn't doing. Both companies mark up products or lower price on products to stay in line with competition. Dnail is making their money back on caps. CCA on inserts. Its not like the Dnail setup is magically cheaper because their SIC is cheaper. The same way the Liger isn't cheaper just because its cap is cheaper. The dnail SIC is cheaper. The Dnail setup is not. Hopefully that was clear enough.

You really didn't address my point on cost whatsoever. The bundle deal(to my knowledge) is -$10 dollars for including a dish with a base. I've included that. Unless you can clearly explain where these random bundle deals are coming from, I'm going to just assume your math is off. What you paid for yours at a past date does not affect current price comparison.

Zinger? I'm saying you said you don't need two dabber tools, yet own two. You paid $70 for a cap and tool. Are you telling me Dnail's cap is $70 in Ti? Address the point, or don't. No need to walk around it.

Not sure what there is to argue on the HE vs Dnail point. I simply pointed out Dnail didn't RnD their cap. That wasn't my opinion. Also, unless you work for Dnail now, you are an outside spectator as well. While on the point of caps, the storm cap works with any banger similar to the Dnail cap working with most moat styles. It would have taken a number of minutes from that hour and a half to verify.

I'm not arguing anything, so no need to reply. I'm saying a Dnail setup comparable to a Liger setup will cost you more for less variety. Your original price comparison was clearly wrong. People can check my math in my OP and figure it out for themselves. I wanted to get the (correct)information out there. :peace:

loadthetrenchdawg,

brasszilla

all that for over a difference of $20? i don't think that's gonna break anyone already prepared to spend $200+ for a nail. they're both good nails and practically cost the same. tomato, tomatto.

NorCalBrah

Was gonna order a sic nail yesterday but the carb caps were sold out so I ended up ordering the quartz halo dish. Does any one know if thee old HE carb caps can fit them? Or would I have to go out and buy another bigger carb cap?

NorCalBrah,

Monsoon

Was gonna order a sic nail yesterday but the carb caps were sold out so I ended up ordering the quartz halo dish. Does any one know if thee old HE carb caps can fit them? Or would I have to go out and buy another bigger carb cap?
The Quartz Halo is the exact same size as the SiC.

Monsoon,
Reactions: grokit

NorCalBrah

Oh, I had thought the sic was bigger than the Quartz. thanks for clarifying. Anyone know if a particap can fit the Quartz halo?

NorCalBrah,

Nintenjoo

The D-Nail carb cap stuff is super annoying.

If they would have made their SiC dish a millimeter or two smaller, we'd have more options.

I DEFINITELY think they chose their measurements based on the fact that is was way too big for any carb cap in existence. Are they doing us a favor by matching the HE threading on their dabbers, but making our already expensive other carb caps not fit?

I tried for over a month (because D-Nail was sold out of carb caps) to find ANYTHING that would work well. I looked at other brands, brought my dish in to local head shops, everything to keep me from overpaying for a carb cap.

Nothing fits and I believe they absolutely know that.

Finally they got back in stock, and I got my carb cap. Now I will absolutely say that this thing is great, and it makes a huge difference when low temp tabbing on the SiC dish.

It's worth the $55, because there are no other options.

But when I opened the box and pulled out this tiny ass $55 piece of Ti? It does not inherently feel like some amazing piece of $55 Ti.

D-Nail is a company, and of course they care about the consumer. They're not terrible people. But they absolutely ride their "D-Nail" name, and know they if they stick it on something, they can sell it for more money. Their products are great, but they have their reputation.

Top Bottom