Discontinued The Okin by D.M. Pipes

LuckySeed777

I'm a machinist, and your pictures are easy to understand to me, I can see all the work involved, and the craftsmanship is superb.
I guess this is going to be an elite type of vaporizer, it is very well thought of, and it looks like a work of art.

Your vape is a work of art! Hopefully one day you can come up with a more crude, less expensive version. That way if it gets lost at a concert or camping it wouldn't be the end of the world. Goodluck with your ventures

Edit. Looking back at the pictures, to me this is a "gentlemen's" vape. Something you can puff on while drinking a cup of whisky in your smoking room. very cool

Last edited:
Okay, here are some updates.

The vaporizer design is pretty much set in my mind, so I've started to focus on the case design. I want the case to be equally important to the overall experience.

I went through many different variations, but this is what I've settled with for now...

xAVpFB.jpg

Here is the link to the image for fullsize viewing, http://i.cubeupload.com/xAVpFB.jpg

I'll explain a little bit about what is going on here, because I know it appears confusing at first.

The case holds two wheels inside of it, one of the left side that holds charcoals, and one on the right that holds herbs. The right side of the case shows the two wheels which can be turned with your thumb. The wheels are turned to align the chambers with the two holes on the top of the case.

In the closed position, the steel lid is held on by a large magnet, and locked to the wooden side under a dovetail.

To load the vaporizer, the herb chamber is placed into the hole on the right side of the case, with the wheel turned to reveal the herb chamber you want to empty. The case is flipped upside down, and the herb chamber dispenses the herbs into the vaporizer. The wheel can then be turned to the closed position.

Only the steel lid is removable for cleaning. The charcoal dispenser wheel is permanently hidden within the wooden case. This is both for easier manufacture, and because the wheel won't have to be cleaned of sticky herb residue and powder. The steel lid can be removed, and the wheel cleaned if needed. Depending on how the prototype turns out, I may incorporate a felt gasket on the top of the herb wheel, both to protect against fine particles getting trapped between the wheel and the steel top plate, and to create a bit of resistance while turning the wheel. If I don't use a felt gasket, the top of the wheel will be waxed with beeswax and lapped perfectly flat for a near perfect union with the steel top plate.

The vaporizer itself is stored inside of the removable case which is held onto the side of the main case with magnets. This is also held together with a bar magnet, and tiny steel pin that will lock the lid from rotating.

The smaller case can hold a pre-loaded vaporizer (one chamber full, and one charcoal, good for a single one person session) for times when you don't want to carry the main case with you. Two button magnets will be supplied, they can be used to clip the smaller case onto fabrics or backpacks... You could stick it to the outside of your jeans, or shirt, or backpack, or whatever. The same can be done with the main case, if you want it stick it to the outside of your jean pocket or something like that.

Aesthetically, I am going for a minimal vibe here. The wood will be most likely beech, because it is quite stable over time, it's local, and has a very nice grain structure and aged appearance over time. The steel will have a flat lapped underside, but the top will have a traditional rusted finish, which will be waxed to seal the steel from further rusting. This finish has a long history of use in Japanese metalwork, and have a very natural feel to it. The steel will give the case some weight to it, which is a trade-off in portability, but I think it makes up for it in how it will feel in the hand.

Anyhow, I'd love to answer questions, and get some feedback!

Never knew you could fit so much brain in such a small box :D

i'm loving the design, can't wait to see how you will make it work!

the price is high but if the vape works well it is reasonable - positive side: it makes it easier to justify paying even a little more and get a customized one :D

good vibes!

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Thanks for the comments guys! They are much appreciated, I'm definitely looking for feedback, and taking it to heart.

For those wondering, the vape is designed to be spent after 4 or 5 small draws or 1 or 2 long draws. This is due to the size of the device, which I want to be about 11mm in diameter for aesthetic reasons.

At that size, the herb chamber can only be so deep before you start getting an uneven vape, since the heat is flowing through the chamber from one direction, unlike an oven style chamber that heats from all sides. And I didnt want the user to have to shake or stir the herbs at all. It's a bit like a shot of espresso vs. drip brewed coffee. The charcoal heat delivers instant heat drawn quickly through the material, delivering all of the flavour and goods at once. It's just a different style.

This also has a lot to do with users tolerance levels, so I think that this style of vape is best suited to people who don't usually vape large amounts. Although, using concentrates can always pack more of a punch into a smaller space..so there's that.

I also like the idea of loading chambers in succession. When a chamber is spent, you can extinguish the ember by placing the tip of the vaporizer into the empty charcoal loading hole in the case, and then place the vaporizer on the case with the metal tip resting on the steel plate, the steel plate acts as a heat sink to quickly cool the steel tip between re-loads. When it is cool enough to touch (won't take long at all), you can remove the tip, dump the chamber, and re-load.

Yes, this re-loading method seems more trouble than having a large herb chamber, and being able to take 20 draws from the same load... but the case design will make re-loading a sort of ritual. It would be like the act of cutting/lighting a cigar, rolling a joint, loading a tobacco pipe... all of these actions are not convenient, but they are pleasurable! I like how it could be a sort of conversation piece... the unique design would draw people in and make them ask questions, I like the idea of it being sort of social in a way.

As far as making a cheaper version, I am on the fence still... but there is a certain beauty in a simple, functional object that is also well crafted. It will never be crude or sloppily made, but the design could be simplified for sure. I will most likely explore this, but there is a question of making it a viable business plan if I am going to be making everything by hand. We'll just have to see!

As far as custom models, perhaps..perhaps.. haha.

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
This is just brilliant and I feel very lucky to be able to see such a functional piece of art in the nascent stages from the inside mind of the artist, so thank you!

This is very reminiscent of the development of the Flash Evaporator (one of the, if not the grandaddy original log vapes) from Green Metals almost 20 years ago.

I have no idea whether or not I'd like the retro, clean charcoal burn type vape, but the steam punk vibe on this is really unique and attractive.

Only one comment regarding the herb/coal case, have you thought of integrating some type of pick tool that can be housed in the case, I am picturing that to be necessary in coaxing sticky and stiff dry herb to come out of it's hole, unless I am misunderstanding the process of reloading a spent chamber.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
This is just brilliant and I feel very lucky to be able to see such a functional piece of art in the nascent stages from the inside mind of the artist, so thank you!

This is very reminiscent of the development of the Flash Evaporator (one of the, if not the grandaddy original log vapes) from Green Metals almost 20 years ago.

I have no idea whether or not I'd like the retro, clean charcoal burn type vape, but the steam punk vibe on this is really unique and attractive.

Only one comment regarding the herb/coal case, have you thought of integrating some type of pick tool that can be housed in the case, I am picturing that to be necessary in coaxing sticky and stiff dry herb to come out of it's hole, unless I am misunderstanding the process of reloading a spent chamber.

I feel lucky to be able to share it with everyone here!

Regarding the resemblance to the work from Green Metals... from what I could find online, it does have a similar vibe! Reading the archived posts about his developments is so interesting! I love how he is using D batteries in one of his designs! ha. Technology has really come a long way...

A pick is a great idea! The locking pin built into the smaller vaporizer case, could be pulled out and used as a pick, I like things with more than one function! Awesome.

As for the loading, the chambers are mean't to be loaded very loosely with dry herbs or concentrate/herb mixtures. It should remain loose, so that when it falls into the herb chamber, it is a very loose packing. The grind consistency should not be too fine either. The idea is to have tiny air channels evenly distributed, the more even the better. If you pack it tightly, it will create dead air pockets and pathways of lesser resistance, leading to uneven vaporization. The same extraction methods can be related to coffee/espresso makers... and that is why the consistency of the coffee bean grind is so important.

So, ideally, each chamber on the wheel should drop it's contents without a fuss. But a pick is a great idea for the odd time when something gets stuck in there.. or in the vaporizer herb chamber.

fft

Holy shit I am seeing this thread for the first time. Even beyond the quality of craftsmanship and design of this thing, I really admire the way you've started with the aesthetics of its use, emphasizing the ritual/social aspects. As others have said a truly gentleman's vape that brings some ceremony when used with friends. Like a fine watch or vintage tube amp, these may be the ultimate analog vapes.

I'm in for any of this.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Okay, it's update time, it's been a while...

Winter has hit where I live in Canada, and I've been swamped with preparations, once the snow falls, everything is frozen for months... so there is a lot to do when you live out in the woods.

But It's given me plenty of time to hone the design...

The previously posted case design has been changed. It was a nice design, and I think it would work nicely, but I have since come to realize a few problems. One, the design can be made more elegant, more simple. And two, boxes don't feel as nice in the hand. Once I made the box shape, and held it... I knew it was not inviting. I suppose this is the purpose of making mock-ups!

Anyhow, I've settled on a more organic design, that is both much nicer in the hand/pocket, more robust, and more simple to make (keeps the final price down).

I'll post drawings or a physical mock-up shortly.

The revolver style chamber loading system will still be used however, I really like that.

The final piece of the puzzle, the spring prongs, that hold the charcoal onto the tip of the vaporizer will be made from Phosphor Bronze. Phosphor Bronze springs are more corrosion resistant and longer lasting than blue steel. I've got an assortment of sizes in the shop that I'm currently testing, looks like they will work awesomely! And they will look really nice as well!

So that is where I am at now, I can't wait until things slow down around here, so I can dedicate all my waking hours to building the final prototypes and getting this ready for market!

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
A little update. I've been working on the final working prototype.

Here is the steel tip with the phosphor bronze springs. The tip is simply pressed down onto a piece of charcoal and the prongs grab on, no messing about.

The steel is just in it's rough state right now. It will get a rust patina that will give it a pitted deep brown surface finish. I'm not much of a fan of the smooth shiny steel look.

There is a groove cut on the inside diameter to accept a metal screen that can be replaced whenever it gets dirty.

I may leave the screw heads as is, so that the prongs can be removed and replaced if need be.. or file off the heads so it just looks like a flathead brass pin... It might look a bit cleaner, but it would need to be sent back to me if a prong needed replacing...

Also.. still trying to come up with a name for this, any suggestions?? haha.

pnEX2gU.jpg

q6Sv8Oh.jpg

Ha0GRcH.jpg

M5y1o1S.jpg

Fenton Mewley

A man in search of cloudier pastures
It's very beautiful.

IMO, you should keep the heads on the screws. Might not look as sleek, but I would rather order the parts and put them on myself.

You're in Canada after all, which would be fine for Canadians, kind of a hassle for Americans. It would be 2 week transit on top of however long you take to repair... IMO, not worth it.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
I'll take that into consideration!

Also, those prong are very hard to break, you would really have to try with a pair of pliers to do it... I don't see them needing to be replaced, only in those very rare circumstances...

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
A little update. I've been working on the final working prototype.

Here is the steel tip with the phosphor bronze springs. The tip is simply pressed down onto a piece of charcoal and the prongs grab on, no messing about.

The steel is just in it's rough state right now. It will get a rust patina that will give it a pitted deep brown surface finish. I'm not much of a fan of the smooth shiny steel look.

There is a groove cut on the inside diameter to accept a metal screen that can be replaced whenever it gets dirty.

I may leave the screw heads as is, so that the prongs can be removed and replaced if need be.. or file off the heads so it just looks like a flathead brass pin... It might look a bit cleaner, but it would need to be sent back to me if a prong needed replacing...

pnEX2gU.jpg

q6Sv8Oh.jpg

Ha0GRcH.jpg

M5y1o1S.jpg

I don't like shiny steel either, weathered will pair better with the intact screw heads for a real steampunk style. Watching the evolution of this is cool, this is type of vape I see Clint Eastwood smoking in a spaghetti western.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
I think I'm with you on that one... I'm not really a big fan of the steampunk/mechanical look, and screw heads just scream that style, haha. I want them to look more like hammered rivets...

Also, the phosphor bronze and brass will get a bit of a patina as well, to appear more dull and aged, the patina of the entire vaporizer should change in a really pleasing way over the years...

°k

The sound of vapor
indeed it'd look sleeker with rivets but I personally prefer the idea of being able to fully take it apart for thorough cleaning when needed/wanted.

As for the name... the charcool... or bambooclot! vaporizer (still needs a lot of thinking obviously :D), maybe just call it the Dan?

Edit: now I remember you name your pipes in a much more lyrical way... (need even more thinking!)

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Hahaha CharCool! Sucker for a pun...

I agree brushed looks nicer and is fine if the prongs really won't likely need replacing. For cleaning that whole front end could be soaked in something couldn't it?

Some other name ideas: The Ember, The Aristocrat, CharcoVap, VapBat, RevolVapor (the case makes me think of a revolver, maybe RevolVap is better)....

marduk

daydreamer

pnEX2gU.jpg

I see that pretty much all of your pipe names are lyrical "Pipe of xxxxx xxxxx" but since this isn't really a pipe, do you still want to keep "Pipe" in the name?

I ask because a name just popped into my head when I looked at this image...

"Crucible of the Enlightened Ember"

I guess "Pipe of the Enlightened Ember" is almost the same, but not...

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I think we may have a winner...^

Pipe can apply to a flame based vape right? Or is it really only a combustion term by definition?

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Hahah, oh man, I like this name brainstorming!

I too was drawn to the word "ember" but, it seems there is a vape mod out there called Ember.. it's not very well known it seems, but still.. Also for google searches it would be tough to get the first page with a common word.

As for the "Pipe of the xxxx" naming scheme. I don't think I want to do that with this product... though, i have no problem calling it a pipe, a pipe can totally be applied to vaporizers, think of the opium pipe for example, it vaporizes the raw opium. And a Hookah pipe. Also, wiki says so, so.. you know, haha.

I also thought about crucible of... something.. or just crucible, I've always liked that word! Same with chrysalis, elm, will-o-the-wisp, alembic... stuff like that..

I think it has to be one word as well.. it seems good for marketing.

And hahah, the charcool aint half bad! but... I think it needs to have a more ancient vibe. I sort of want to word to conjure up images of like.. lighting hitting a tree, alchemy, a lantern in a swamp...etc.. Oh god, so much to capture in one word!

As for cleaning the tip, you can absolutely soak or boil it in whatever cleaner you want, so long as it's not a strong acid. I will be polishing the inside diameter to make it easier to clean as well.

Crucible of the Enlightened Ember

This is such a cool name! But.. I am afraid it's too long.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
haha, legally speaking, not the best name to have on a box at customs...

Here's some names ideas...most i have already rejected in my head, ha.

Everlight, Everwood, Emberlight, Scarab, Nebulizer, Embora, Dragonwood, Emberworm, Emberwood, Charcrow, Dragoon, Squid, Arcwood, Salamander...

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Yeah I wasn't keen on thsoe two either... but with the bronze springs on the tip it kind of looks like a squid... and the salamander is associated with lots of fire myths..

Hmm, what about the Emboracle? Ember and Oracle put together.. maybe Embora is tidier though.. Plus, the D.M. Embora has a nice ring to it..

Top Bottom