1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

D.M. Pipes - Charcoal Vaporizer

Discussion in 'Thread Candidates' started by Stu, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Stu

Stu Maconheiro Staff Member

I saw this today. It uses charcoal as a heat source. It's an interesting concept kinda like a portable hookah.

[​IMG]

The creator is a pipe maker with some interesting works.

More pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:peace:

fft, btka, fake name and 15 others like this.
  2. SD_haze

SD_haze MMJ Vaporist

Fascinating!

Reminds me of this quote:
    [​IMG]

3. THC SCIENTIFIC

THC SCIENTIFIC Black Gold Manufacturer

Nice gotta hand it to the creator. Genius!!!

4. pakalolo

pakalolo RoboMod v3.17 (ticking) Staff Member

This is intriguing, but it's only genius if he somehow keeps the vapour separate from the by-products of the charcoal. I don't see anywhere in his descriptions where he mentions this, but perhaps I missed it. For the record, smouldering produces significantly more toxic by-products than burning.

5. Rrose Selavy

Rrose Selavy log enthusiast

absolutely love the aesthetic of both the rendering and photos. intriguing to say the least.

6. mrweed

mrweed vaporizer review blogger

you pull the fresh air through the charcoal and that's how it gets hot, as far as i have understood.
    he says that it don't have taste, too. so I guess you will suck in by-product, indeed!
    but it's the same with a regular hookah, isn't it?

i think we need this guy in here! the concept is great though

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    KeroZen likes this.
  7. RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY Space is the Place

It's cool looking but there have been a few bigger Hookah based Bamboo vapes like this on ebay that are hand made in Jamaica on and off for several years now. Using coconut charcoal if i remember correctly.

Bvapst, Been Vapin and KeroZen like this.
  8. mrweed

215z and RUDE BOY like this.
  9. KeroZen

KeroZen Chronic vapaholic

I wanted to say something about charcoal and stone age, caverns and the like... but...nevermind...

"Haters gonna hate!"

Quetzalcoatl and mrweed like this.
  10. mrweed

what are you talking about, this one was brought back from our steampunk alternate reality ;)

no, seriously. the idea is good and i also like the ital aspect. i always prefer natural material over stuff i don't know anything about.

davesmith and KeroZen like this.
  11. Trogdor

Trogdor Vapinating the peasants

I saw this little tidbit on the link in the OP, "it is completely clean burning, with zero additional smoke or taste. If you inhale through an empty device, you taste nothing but hot air. This was very important to me, and the main reason I don't like butane." All the same, I suppose there could be potentially harmful byproducts that are tasteless. I sent him an email regarding if/when they'll be available, I'm quite interested myself.

12. stickstones

stickstones Wasted Staff Member

where do i get one?

natural farmer and Jared like this.
  13. pakalolo

I saw that but I'd like a clarification on what that means.

axakal likes this.
  14. Breathemetal

Breathemetal Well-Known Member

I really want one

15. Fenton Mewley

Fenton Mewley A man in search of cloudier pastures

A video of that unit was posted in the reddit thread (made by creator): http://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/2eae7i/new_portable_vaporizer_from_dm_pipes_no_batteries/

The thing with this vape is that it has a hookah-like bowl. Heat management is a skill, and if you don't have much experience, you could have a hard time consistently creating vapor.

With a single coal system, the heat management should be much easier.

Theoretically, bamboo charcoal is nearly 100% carbon. Add energy and O2, and the mass of C turns into CO2. It'd be "clean burning" because the emission is only CO2. I don't think the quality could be 100% C, so there might be some thing else... Needs some lab testing or something.

Jared, RUDE BOY and Trogdor like this.
  16. Trogdor

Trogdor Vapinating the peasants

@Fenton Mewley lots of info in that link, thanks. I wonder how a waterpipe adapter would work with these

17. Stu

Stu Maconheiro Staff Member

From what I've read so far, carbon monoxide can be produced if there is a lack of oxygen in the mix. This is also true for candles, joints, cigarettes, cigars, etc. How much is truly unsafe? I dunno. :shrug:

charliedontsurf and Quetzalcoatl like this.
  18. pakalolo

If the vapour path isn't separated, then it becomes a possibility to be taken into account. I probably wouldn't worry about it, but others would.

Quetzalcoatl and SD_haze like this.
  19. wyatt herb

wyatt herb true born germaican

there are a few articles in the net wich are saying shisha smoking can deliver a high dose of carbone monoxide to the user up to poisoning levels.

20. pakalolo

I'm sure there are. They're probably correct in that there is no doubt burning charcoal in an enclosed space gives off potentially fatal levels of carbon monoxide. An improperly vented shisha chamber could do a lot of harm. In the design expressed here, however, the ember is never enclosed.

21. °k

°k Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance

Fuck, I can't stop looking at these pics and the ones on his blog, they're beautiful! I'm really looking forward to this one and can already foresee myself forgetting about the battery vapes I got, it also makes me less eager to receive THE mail from Alan at HI... must mean a lot, no?!

I'd still be interested in knowing in detail the outcomes of the bamboo combustion here but it looks like the type of combustion I wouldn't say fuck to.

I can't seem to find that video there, I must be either blind or dumb but could you point me to it or link the video itself please?

22. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

I'm curious...

23. Fenton Mewley

Fenton Mewley A man in search of cloudier pastures

Yeah NP, here it is:

°k likes this.
  24. °k

°k Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance

Oh right I thought it was a video of this DM pipes vaporizer not the chalice, thanks for bothering though. :)

25. abhishek

abhishek Well-Known Member

Man this is awesome..please have some kinda international shipping..I will import it as soon as u put this out for sale.people would get really excited to see this device here in India.....and just hoping u will price it Right

natural farmer likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors