D.C Considering Decriminalizing Recreational Marijuana

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
Since the Feds have oversight of D.C. , this should represent an interesting dilemma.

news.yahoo.com/washington-d-c-panel-weighs-decriminalizing-marijuana-12017751.html

dc_tke

March 5th seems to be the big day. After that it's a 60-day review period in Congress.

Given the incredibly strict medical rules I'm not very optimistic but you never know. On the other hand things seem to be changing across the country every day so perhaps I should have a positive outlook.

I may need it medically and have no idea how I'd approach getting it. I doubt my internist would prescribe it and I'm positive my oncologists wouldn't either.

Last edited:

vapor33

March 5th seems to be the big day. After that it's a 60-day review period in Congress.

Given the incredibly strict medical rules I'm not very optimistic but you never know. On the other hand things seem to be changing across the country every day so perhaps I should have a positive outlook.

I may need it medically and have no idea how I'd approach getting it. I doubt my internist would prescribe it and I'm positive my oncologists wouldn't either.

Yeah, it sucks that doctors are not really smart when it comes to cannabis.

vapor33,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

max

Out to lunch
"District of Columbia lawmakers voted on Tuesday to decriminalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana, in what advocates of more lenient marijuana laws hope is another step toward legalizing the drug outright.
The measure, which would make possessing up to an ounce of marijuana a civil infraction punishable with a fine as low as $25 and seizure of the drug, passed in a 10-to-1 vote by the City Council, with one lawmaker voting “present” and another, who helped introduce the bill, absent.
While medical marijuana is legal in the district, the penalty for possession of recreational marijuana is up to six months in jail and up to a $1,000 fine."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/05/u...juana-gains-in-district-of-columbia.html?_r=0

Another step in the right direction, at least.

1_gr8_underdog

Trapped in the Astral Planes Back from the dead
  • logo.png
  • Washington DC City Council Approves Cannabis Decriminalization
Washington DC City Council Approves Cannabis Decriminalization
b69a4ded8535bff5f9b720270eea49da
Drake Dorm March 4, 2014
decriminalized.jpg

WASHINGTON, DC — As previously reported, a measure to decriminalize cannabis has been making significant progress in the nation’s capitol. In a 10-1 vote Tuesday, the Washington, D.C. City Council passed an initiative to remove criminal penalties for simple possession of cannabis.

tommywells.jpg
Proposed in 2013 by Tommy Wells (D-Ward 6), the initiative calls for fines in the case of simple cannabis possession. This is compared to the District’s current policy, under which possession of any amount of marijuana is a criminal offense punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.

“This is a big step forward for our nation’s capital, as well as our nation as a whole,” said Dan Riffle, director of federal policies for the Marijuana Policy Project. “Clearly, marijuana prohibition’s days are numbered in the United States.”

Under the newly-passed initiative, Washington DC will have some of the lowest penalties for cannabis in the nation.

City Council Votes To Decriminalize Cannabis In Washington DC
Those 18 and over will be subject to a $25 fine if found in possession of less than one ounce. Also addressed in the measure are penalties for paraphernalia in conjunction with simple possession. In fact, it eliminates such penalties entirely.

“The District is moving in the right direction, but a more comprehensive solution to marijuana prohibition is still needed.” – Dan Riffle

That being said, consuming cannabis in public will still be considered a criminal offense under Mr. Wells’ initiative. It is punishable by up to 60 days in jail and a fine of up to $500.

However, individuals cannot be searched or detained based solely on an officer’s suspicion of marijuana possession.

The City Council’s decision seems to be another domino in the recent surge in favor of cannabis policy reform. According to Public Policy Poll commissioned by the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP), 75% Washington, D.C. voters are in favor of a move to decriminalize cannabis

In a statement released Tuesday, Mr. Riffle explained his belief that “the District is moving in the right direction, but a more comprehensive solution to marijuana prohibition is still needed.”

“We must address how and where consumers obtain marijuana,” he continues. “Rather than leaving marijuana sales in the hands of drug dealers and cartels, the District should tax and regulate marijuana much like we do alcohol.”

Source: http://www.medicaljane.com/2014/03/04/washington-dc-city-council-approves-cannabis-decriminalization/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=title&utm_campaign=march catchup

i.gif

Top Bottom