Cutting back tolerance by smoking instead of vaping?

Nnnb027

So I've had my pax2 for about three months now. I use it at least twice a day and I've noticed my tolerance has gone up quite a bit lately. Before I got my pax, I would smoke 2-3 bowls a day out of a bong and I had a moderately low tolerance. When I got my pax, I was cooooked after half an "oven" and now it takes 1.5-2 to achieve the same high and I have 2-3 sessions a day, so. I recently made some edibles that absolutely fucked my friend up (everyday smoker) and they did nothing to me on multiple occasions and I'm attributing that to my tolerance because edibles worked for me before I started vaping.

Soo I guess my question is, if I only smoked for a week or so and took a break from vaping, would it lower my tolerance? I smoked last night and was only slightly buzzed after three bowls and I'd probably try to limit myself to two per session. I'm hoping this would make edibles more effective for me too or else I wasted a half o for nothing.

I've thought about taking a tolerance break but I don't think it would be very practical for me as I consider my cannabis use medicinal. I also have a lot going on right now and a t break would be pretty rough.

Thanks in advance!

Nnnb027,

MoltenTiger

Are you using the same herb between smoking, vaping and eating?
Mix it up. I find as I use less herb for vaping, it's best to have more than one strain on hand. If I was smoking I'd just burn through whatever I had, I was using a lot more than necessary.
You will build a tolerance for the actives in one strain, so having a different type with a different spectrum of cannabinoids should help minimise your tolerance build up to any particular buds.

For me, after a few days on the vape, if I spark up with my mates I usually only notice the tobacco. It's not the same as a few days without bud and then having a smoke, this makes the herb very noticeable and faster acting. I can still keep up with every day smokers as an everyday vaper, I couldn't if I just stopped using. I don't like smoking, so usually I find it easier to have less now, and in this way it could help to use a bit less overall and gradually drop tolerance, but I think mixing up strains may be the solution you're seeking.

Solomon

Talk to the Beard
No, I don't think that switching to combustion will somehow reduce your tolerance for vaping or eatables.

I think the only way to reduce your tolerance is to reduce your intake of THC, regardless of how it gets in you.

For me the key isn't the number of sessions, but the size of the sessions. I vape mostly for pain, and even a small and quick vape session is effective. The hard part, for me at least, is not going beyond what I really need. I found that most of the time I was "over medicated", at least for purposes of pain management, and that leads quickly to higher tolerance.

So I try to keep my sessions for pain really short and sweet, keeping my tolerance in check so when I vape socially I can still enjoy it. :tup:

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
1. Try different strains.
2. Try different vapes (leverage the oft-lauded "vape signature"....every device delivers a slightly different high for most).
3. Take a day or two off. (I don't like to recommend this, though....let's not panic. :p:lol:)
4. Never return to combustion.

Repeat as necessary.:nod:

Nnnb027

No, I usually but an ounce of one strain at a time. I'll see if I can try to mix it up next time :)

My logic was since vaporizing is a more potent way if consumption than smoking it would lower my tolerance? I took a nap and woke up super motivated to take a tolerance break then caved and smoked a bowl.. Haha. I'll start by trying just taking a hit or two put of my pax and mix ingup my strains. My sessions are actually pretty long now that I think about it

Nnnb027,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
No, I usually but an ounce of one strain at a time. I'll see if I can try to mix it up next time :)

My logic was since vaporizing is a more potent way if consumption than smoking it would lower my tolerance? I took a nap and woke up super motivated to take a tolerance break then caved and smoked a bowl.. Haha. I'll start by trying just taking a hit or two put of my pax and mix ingup my strains. My sessions are actually pretty long now that I think about it

Here's the thing: smoking screws up your ability to really adjust, and fully appreciate, the vaping buzz. The best way to appreciate the myriad aspects of various vaping highs is to get your body away from the effects of combustion. Vaping, for many of us, tends to lower tolerance, since it removes a whole host of chemicals from the experience that you'd normally get through combustion.

The best way to help your vape high is to avoid the combustion high, in my experience. Do everything else but that. :2c:

Nnnb027

I see. None of my friends vape so I always smoke with them and it's not the same since I started vaping. I'm not a fan of smoking at all and I'm very sensitive to butane, I just thought it's at least something if I can't vape as much as I usually do.

Do any of you guys have any idea why my edibles didn't work for me? My tolerance isn't nearly as high as some people's and edibles have always worked for me in the past, I've always had a pretty low tolerance to them too. I've made them many times and I'm pretty good at it. I infused 1/4 into a 1/2 cup coconut oil the other day and even added soy lecithin and nothing. I've been taking 1/2 to afull tsp at a time. My friend said it was the strongest edible high she's ever experienced

Nnnb027,

cptchronic

I haven't had much vaping experience (just got a nano a few weeks ago) but it's all about how much you consume if you made your edibles properly. I find that for normal users you need to consume atleast what you would vape in a day, so if you vape a gram then eat a whole gram.

As for tolerance its about how much you consume as well. The more you vape the less cannabinoid receptors you have, basically your bodies response to increased levels of cannabinoids.

To reduce tolerance just consume less on average so cut back each day and your body will naturally increase the amount of receptors

I personally never take tolerance breaks just reduce usage from all day to parts of the day lol

Last edited:
cptchronic,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I see. None of my friends vape so I always smoke with them and it's not the same since I started vaping. I'm not a fan of smoking at all and I'm very sensitive to butane, I just thought it's at least something if I can't vape as much as I usually do.

Do any of you guys have any idea why my edibles didn't work for me? My tolerance isn't nearly as high as some people's and edibles have always worked for me in the past, I've always had a pretty low tolerance to them too. I've made them many times and I'm pretty good at it. I infused 1/4 into a 1/2 cup coconut oil the other day and even added soy lecithin and nothing. I've been taking 1/2 to afull tsp at a time. My friend said it was the strongest edible high she's ever experienced
I hope you educated yourself as to how to get your oil that's infused with cannabis. It can be a tricky process, all the different steps from the declarbed process to the heating up of the coconut oil. Did you use 1/4 ounce of cannabis vs 1/2 oil? There are so many variables as to how your product will effect you. Even how much you have in your stomach and when you ate last. I've waisted a lot of product trying to get the process right.

I am a medical patient so I can buy edibles at a dispensary. It works better for me. I do want to eventually get it right. I have the Magical Butter Maker. I don't have my own garden so it can get expensive at $150-$200 an ounce.

Going back to combusting cannabis is a bad idea. Your tolerance can go up with smoking just as well and it's bad for your health. Slowly cut back a bit then go for 72 hours without cannabis. After 72 hours just use a small amount and keep your tolerance in check by just using in the evening a bowl. Do the process again if needed.

I use different strains all the time. I buy a little of this and a little of that. It is more expensive that way but I like a variety of different strains,

cptchronic

I hope you educated yourself as to how to get your oil that's infused with cannabis. It can be a tricky process, all the different steps from the declarbed process to the heating up of the coconut oil. Did you use 1/4 ounce of cannabis vs 1/2 oil? There are so many variables as to how your product will effect you. Even how much you have in your stomach and when you ate last. I've waisted a lot of product trying to get the process right.

I am a medical patient so I can buy edibles at a dispensary. It works better for me. I do want to eventually get it right. I have the Magical Butter Maker. I don't have my own garden so it can get expensive at $150-$200 an ounce.

Going back to combusting cannabis is a bad idea. Your tolerance can go up with smoking just as well and it's bad for your health. Slowly cut back a bit then go for 72 hours without cannabis. After 72 hours just use a small amount and keep your tolerance in check by just using in the evening a bowl. Do the process again if needed.

I use different strains all the time. I buy a little of this and a little of that. It is more expensive that way but I like a variety of different strains,

I completely agree. If you can't get them at a dispensary, your preparation is key.

Check out badkats cannapharm if it has not been recommended to you yet.

cptchronic,

MoltenTiger

Adding some glassware to your vape set up might decrease your want for bowl hits, as well as might influence some of your smoking pals to vape up with you.
Though, I live in a stoner share house and I'm finding it pretty amusing how no one seems that interested in the free hits I occasionally offer. I just sit there real cheeshed in wonderment of why all these marijuana addicts don't want my marijuana. Doesn't add up. Nicotine is one hell of a drug.

If you're buying per oz then I'd definitely fall back to my recommendation of mixing up the strains. Buy your next one when you get halfway through the current batch, or now if you can, and alternate and mix them together. Salads will get you higher.

MoltenTiger,
Top Bottom