Discontinued Custom Crafty Battery Packs for Easy Replacement

JCat

Accessory Maker
Thanks @JCat for your quick reply! I continued my search and found this video.
then i looked better at the lights and indeed I got red/yellow flashing, not red/green!

Actually now that I have replaced again the battery my crafty won't turn on at all because I guess the battery is dry, but if i try to charge it, i got the flashing red/yellow lights..

I don't have a multimeter right now, but i will check soon as i borrow one from some friend.

I just bought from ebay some new thermal fuse as suggested in the video, and I will try to replace it as soon as they arrive. I will post further updates very soon!!

what do you think about the method suggested in the video?
Seems fine. You can't solder it so unless you had the correct crimp tools etc you are kinda' left with connecting similar to the way they indicate (make sure you have good contact!)

I'd actually recommend digikey for thermal fuses ... they are only a couple dollars + $7 or $8 flat rate shipping if I remember correctly.

You can also test your thermal fuse with the multimeter for continuity.

JCat,
Reactions: Pyetro

Pyetro

Seems fine. You can't solder it so unless you had the correct crimp tools etc you are kinda' left with connecting similar to the way they indicate (make sure you have good contact!)

I'd actually recommend digikey for thermal fuses ... they are only a couple dollars + $7 or $8 flat rate shipping if I remember correctly.

You can also test your thermal fuse with the multimeter for continuity.

Yep I can't solder it but also the original thermal fuse seem not soldered on the PCB, I will check that there is contact! And yes I will check the original thermal fuse with a multimeter to confirm it blowed up.

I live in Italy, so i bought in some local ebay shop, but I guess all the thermal fuse with those sepcification would be ok.. I bought 5 for 8 euros including shipping..

But I still have a question: IF what the guy in the video says is true, the thermal fuse disconnect when 184C are reached, but any crafty can reach easily 210C... so this really seem a programmatic obsolescence from S&B, or they calculate that if the heater arrive at 210, the thermal fuse is less hot..

anyway do you think that would be wise to install a thermal fuse with higher threshold? just in case I bought some at 184C and some at 216C..

thanks for you precious help @JCat !

Pyetro,

Pyetro

Finally I received the Thermal Fuse replacement, but in the end, checking with a multimeter, the original thermal fuse didn't blew up, it still functioning.. and my Crafty is still got the yellow/red lights of death :(

I tried to change the battery (tried with 2 identical as the original), tried to use without the thermal fuse, tried with a brand new (identical 184°C) thermal fuse, but nothing changed.

It seems that both the thermal sensors are working, beacuse if I try to hold in my hand the one inside the heater, temp grows (in the app) and if I disconnect the thermal sensor of the battery, it says, that the battery is too cold, while if everything is connected to the PCB the app just says that the device is faulty :(

I'm very sad and disappointed, I tried everything i read about Crafty with no success at all :(

Maybe anyone knows other possible reason of failure for a Crafty?

Eventually anyone can sell a used Crafty with a working PCB?

thanks to everybody for sharing all this useful knowledge on this forum!

Pyetro,
Reactions: JCat

Surf

Hello JCat, hello everyone. Am happy to have fallen on this thread, as many here my Crafty is showing signs of weakness (1470h of services), it heats up very quickly ... and I have to turn it off, I guess it's the battery that has aged. So I'm interested in the pack you sell, I watched the video and it seems clear. Could I have a quote how much would come back to me the pack shipped to France.

I have send you a PM

Surf,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Hi @Pyetro ... sorry about the delayed response, had a pretty bad flood in my basement that went on for 2 weeks and have since been dealing with the aftermath (on top of just regular work and life stuff so really haven’t been on FC)

It does indeed sound like your circuit board is finished; not much to be done and unlikely you’ll find someone with a replacement working circuit board ... if I do I will let you know though.

Wish it had worked out better for you.

@Surf ... I’ll get back to you by tomorrow in PM with a price including shipping.

Pyetro

Hi @Pyetro ... sorry about the delayed response, had a pretty bad flood in my basement that went on for 2 weeks and have since been dealing with the aftermath (on top of just regular work and life stuff so really haven’t been on FC)

It does indeed sound like your circuit board is finished; not much to be done and unlikely you’ll find someone with a replacement working circuit board ... if I do I will let you know though.

Wish it had worked out better for you.

@Surf ... I’ll get back to you by tomorrow in PM with a price including shipping.

Thanks @JCat, and don't worry for the delay (at the contrary, i'm sorry for the problems you got!) that would be very kind from you, if you find any user with a working circuit board, it would be great to try to buy it! I still have everything stored and ready to get back to work with the right replacement!

Actually I bought a new one Crafty, with updated firmware and it's great! I hope to be able to repair it if in the future the battery or the thermal fuse will die, I stil have the replacement ready!

thanks for all the words and support! have a nice day

Pyetro,

craftyfan

I have custom Crafty Battery Packs available for easy replacement of your battery pack. I started this project as I felt there should be an easy replacement available, that didn't require shipping your vaporizer back, especially for those of us with a vaporizer out of warranty.

CwPRH2T.jpg

These battery packs come ready to install with a pre-soldered wiring harness that meets or exceeds the specifications of the original. These are perfect for those of you that don't want to spend the time, don't have the tools, or simply aren't comfortable enough, to de-solder and re-solder the wiring harness from the original battery to a new one.

oGIl9rW.jpg

I've also sourced appropriate name brand cells with tabs for optimal performance based on others feedback in this forum, which guided my research (thanks @Vambo1980 for pointing me towards the Sony VTC6 3120mAh cell and for other inspiration and for answering my questions :)) The wire used for the harness is silver plated and rated for high current and low temperature operation.

I'm selling these packs for $40 USD + shipping.

The following are the instructions for installing your battery pack:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09116962006551867733

And here's the video instructions for installing the pack (doesn't cover removing the existing pack completely though, as I'm removing my custom pack and installing another one of my custom packs):

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments!
JCat

Hi JCat,

i have recently been struggling with battery life with my crafty, only managing to get 2 bowls out of a charge. The app says it has been used for a total of 93 hours which i don't think should be anywhere near its maximum lifespan. Do you still have these available? How easy is it to remove the stock battery and install your custom one without soldering irons etc? I really would like to sort out the battery before my upcoming week long music festival (Glasto!). I would welcome your input on this matter

craftyfan,

JCat

Accessory Maker
I do have some packs left @craftyfan, and the replacement is relatively straight forward, the most important thing being take your time, and don't force anything.

- 4 torx screws to remove
- remove disconnect the 2 plug in connectors from the main board
- remove the shrink wrap from the battery (just start a cut and it will tear off)
- remove the thermistor (it is the smaller wire/connector, and is just lying against the battery inside the shrink wrap ... responsible for monitoring battery temp)
- Install new battery with thermistor lying against it
- carefully close the case making sure to not pinch any wires

If you send me a PM I can get back to you with shipping estimates to see if we can get it to you on time.

Here's the instructions on the install: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=55450413458313747939

And here's a YouTube video going over some common issues when installing and walking through it a little:

Edit:

@Elgar I accept payment through PayPal. If you contact me through a PM (private message), we can discuss shipping etc. Thanks!

Last edited:

Surf

Hello Jcat,

I received the package yesterday and I mounted it 2 hours ago, it seems to work great.

Since I'm not an "expert" in English, I did not understand at the beginning that we had to deal with the wire for the temperature (and it's not in the video), in any case it's resolved.

For the whole community this guy is really helpful, he had a little delay in sending my order, and without that I ask nothing he paid me, really nice.

Thank you.

Xclerk

The Universe is our endless supply
You still getting these bad boys. Having an issue charging. Is that the batt?

Xclerk,

rodders83

I havr a question considering the knowledge you people have now and how long these devices have been out and many are old so here is my question, How does a crafty or mighty perform then with a badly run down even dead battery folks? Does it become

Useless?
Can be charged and used for 1 bowl then dead?
Works ok when plugged in to power for 2+bowl?

rodders83,
Reactions: LesPlenty

wiesner

I have custom Crafty Battery Packs available for easy replacement of your battery pack. I started this project as I felt there should be an easy replacement available, that didn't require shipping your vaporizer back, especially for those of us with a vaporizer out of warranty.

CwPRH2T.jpg

These battery packs come ready to install with a pre-soldered wiring harness that meets or exceeds the specifications of the original. These are perfect for those of you that don't want to spend the time, don't have the tools, or simply aren't comfortable enough, to de-solder and re-solder the wiring harness from the original battery to a new one.

oGIl9rW.jpg

I've also sourced appropriate name brand cells with tabs for optimal performance based on others feedback in this forum, which guided my research (thanks @Vambo1980 for pointing me towards the Sony VTC6 3120mAh cell and for other inspiration and for answering my questions :)) The wire used for the harness is silver plated and rated for high current and low temperature operation.

I'm selling these packs for $40 USD + shipping.

The following are the instructions for installing your battery pack:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09116962006551867733

And here's the video instructions for installing the pack (doesn't cover removing the existing pack completely though, as I'm removing my custom pack and installing another one of my custom packs):

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments!
JCat

JCat.........I would like to purchase one of your replacement battery packs for my Crafty. Please let me know what I need to do. My email address is bill@cuphoto.com

Thank you

Last edited:
wiesner,

rodders83

Most people fix or replace when you cannot do 4 bowls anymore, would still work plugged in but who wants to be tied to AC power with a Mighty?

I would be nervous about replacing the battery myself, I can build a pc but that? I do not know but if it works on AC its perfect as a house vape for me even if it did 1 bowl why all my old mightys could be used on AC in a sort of trio for 1 2 3 bowls.

I feared really having to open them all up or them not working at all i find the Mighty perfectly acceptable to me as a household vape. My weed is poor and i get four big clouds in my hydrotube and thats my capsule smashed and me too. And where i vape at home AC is always within 6ft.

rodders83,
Reactions: LesPlenty

JCat

Accessory Maker
I would be nervous about replacing the battery myself, I can build a pc but that? I do not know but if it works on AC its perfect as a house vape for me even if it did 1 bowl why all my old mightys could be used on AC in a sort of trio for 1 2 3 bowls.

I feared really having to open them all up or them not working at all i find the Mighty perfectly acceptable to me as a household vape. My weed is poor and i get four big clouds in my hydrotube and thats my capsule smashed and me too. And where i vape at home AC is always within 6ft.
If need be, I can of course supply you with pre-wired cells—or if you just have any specific questions about the replacement if you decide to do it yourself, I’ll be more than happy to help.

It doesn’t have passthrough so once your battery dies completely, it won’t be useable even with AC.

rodders83

If need be, I can of course supply you with pre-wired cells—or if you just have any specific questions about the replacement if you decide to do it yourself, I’ll be more than happy to help.

It doesn’t have passthrough so once your battery dies completely, it won’t be useable even with AC.

That is only Crafty though right? The Mighty will not work on passthrough if the battery dies is that what you mean? I should of said i only wanted to ask about mighty but i only saw the crafty thread dude.

People in the other theads say mighty works on passthrough on a dead battery but as of 3yrs? 4yrs? No one has yet said my battery died and this is how my Mighty performs. You would think by know we would know the answer 100% fact i thought i did know until you posted JCat! :)

rodders83,

JCat

Accessory Maker
That is only Crafty though right? The Mighty will not work on passthrough if the battery dies is that what you mean? I should of said i only wanted to ask about mighty but i only saw the crafty thread dude.

People in the other theads say mighty works on passthrough on a dead battery but as of 3yrs? 4yrs? No one has yet said my battery died and this is how my Mighty performs. You would think by know we would know the answer 100% fact i thought i did know until you posted JCat! :)
Well .... I can’t say 100% for certain, but to my knowledge the Mighty didn’t have pass through. The charging circuit is just that .... a charging circuit. I could be wrong though!

Take out your batteries completely and plug it in to see if it still works ... then you’ll know :)

JCat,
Reactions: Jill NYC

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Yay, no way the 0.5A of USB2 could provide enough power for a real pass-through. With a fast-charge enabled port or USB3 maybe, but even then, about 40W is a lot of power (from memory the Might peak power is 38W but I could be wrong)

KeroZen,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Yay, no way the 0.5A of USB2 could provide enough power for a real pass-through. With a fast-charge enabled port or USB3 maybe, but even then, about 40W is a lot of power (from memory the Might peak power is 38W but I could be wrong)
It's a power adapter w/ a barrel plug on the Mighty though ... not USB like the crafty. (don't remember the specs off-hand though)

Top Bottom