• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Custom Crafty Battery Packs for Easy Replacement

CBDvape

FYI - I have more packs in stock and assembled.
JCat, I think I would like to order a battery assembly from you. Our Crafty just died as it will no longer take a charge (ultra fast blue blink when plugged in), and will not start even when plugged in. The unit was purchased in Dec-2015, so the 2 year warranty has expired. I contacted S&B regarding battery replacement, and like others have posted, they no longer offer battery replacement for my old unit but did offer a brand new replacement for $179 no tax, no shipping. My remaining question would be if I cut the label and install your replacement battery, and 6 months or less have another issue of some kind, will S&B still offer the replacement deal for $179 with a cut label? Assuming if they will now (out of warranty), a cut label in 1-6 months later shouldn't matter to them? I'm sure that's a question for S&B. In your opinion, is it a better option to replace now for $179-new, or install your battery for $40? Thanks!

CBDvape,
Reactions: JCat

JCat

Accessory Maker
JCat, I think I would like to order a battery assembly from you. Our Crafty just died as it will no longer take a charge (ultra fast blue blink when plugged in), and will not start even when plugged in. The unit was purchased in Dec-2015, so the 2 year warranty has expired. I contacted S&B regarding battery replacement, and like others have posted, they no longer offer battery replacement for my old unit but did offer a brand new replacement for $179 no tax, no shipping. My remaining question would be if I cut the label and install your replacement battery, and 6 months or less have another issue of some kind, will S&B still offer the replacement deal for $179 with a cut label? Assuming if they will now (out of warranty), a cut label in 1-6 months later shouldn't matter to them? I'm sure that's a question for S&B. In your opinion, is it a better option to replace now for $179-new, or install your battery for $40? Thanks!
I would be glad to sell you a battery pack, however there are a couple things you should consider.

1st off, sounds like your primary issue is the thermal fuse ($2 par + $8 shipping from Digikey). Might still want a battery pack of performance isn’t great after fixing it.

2nd, if you do decide to go with the replacement from S&B, you should check if it comes with a full warranty as well (I have heard otherwise but am not sure one way or the other)

3rd, I am not sure about the label, but you could steam it off as well ... you are correct that following up with S&B in this regards would be best.

Hope that helps!

:)

Edit: actually might not be the right flashing code for thermal sensor ... let me check ...

Last edited:
JCat,
Reactions: Hogni

CBDvape

I would be glad to sell you a battery pack, however there are a couple things you should consider.

1st off, sounds like your primary issue is the thermal fuse ($2 par + $8 shipping from Digikey). Might still want a battery pack of performance isn’t great after fixing it.

2nd, if you do decide to go with the replacement from S&B, you should check if it comes with a full warranty as well (I have heard otherwise but am not sure one way or the other)

3rd, I am not sure about the label, but you could steam it off as well ... you are correct that following up with S&B in this regards would be best.

Hope that helps!

:)

Edit: actually might not be the right flashing code for thermal sensor ... let me check ...

Interesting, so the ultra fast blue blink is a thermal fuse. I will call S&B first AM tomorrow and inquire about warranty inclusion on the new replacement unit offer. I'll let you know what I decide tomorrow, I'm leaning towards replacement if the warranty is included, but not 100% sure yet as I do enjoy fixing things. Thanks again for your expertise.

CBDvape,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Interesting, so the ultra fast blue blink is a thermal fuse. I will call S&B first AM tomorrow and inquire about warranty inclusion on the new replacement unit offer. I'll let you know what I decide tomorrow, I'm leaning towards replacement if the warranty is included, but not 100% sure yet as I do enjoy fixing things. Thanks again for your expertise.
I actually think it’s red/yellow flashing for thermal fuse (just quickly googled it)

Blue does sound like battery ... or possibly charging circuit? If you pulled the cell out and charged it using an external 18650 charger that would confirm if it’s the cell or charging circuit.

Hope that helps and good luck with S&B.

Let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help, or even just how it goes :)

JCat,
Reactions: Hogni

hab5000

No problem. I might have just posted it in a response in the Crafty thread as well :)

If you're de-soldering/re-soldering the wire harness to replace the cell for your own pack, and have any questions through the process, don't hesitate to reach out.
Hey JCat,

I was in touch with you a few weeks back about purchasing a pack, but then thought what the hell, I'll try myself!

Dismantling the Crafty was pretty straightforward, and I managed to solder the wiring onto the new battery.

So went to reassemble, and somehow I've lost the temperature sensor with the small plug that connects to the pcb. :bang:

I think I must have thrown it out with the heat shrink from the old battery....

So anyway, don't suppose you know what kind of plug/socket this is, so I can order a new one online and get the thing back together?

hab5000,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Hey JCat,

I was in touch with you a few weeks back about purchasing a pack, but then thought what the hell, I'll try myself!

Dismantling the Crafty was pretty straightforward, and I managed to solder the wiring onto the new battery.

So went to reassemble, and somehow I've lost the temperature sensor with the small plug that connects to the pcb. :bang:

I think I must have thrown it out with the heat shrink from the old battery....

So anyway, don't suppose you know what kind of plug/socket this is, so I can order a new one online and get the thing back together?
Sorry to hear about that :( ... no idea unfortunately where to get those ... I haven't managed to figure out what exactly that component is, so haven't investigated the connector (if I did know where to get this component I would sell the packs together with them for an additional charge ... to make it even easier :) )

I do know of someone that had a defective charging circuit, and sold his case I believe, and might still have the other parts and be willing to sell you the sensor. If you can PM me your e-mail address I'll forward to the person in question so they can get in touch with you.

hab5000

Sorry to hear about that :( ... no idea unfortunately where to get those ... I haven't managed to figure out what exactly that component is, so haven't investigated the connector (if I did know where to get this component I would sell the packs together with them for an additional charge ... to make it even easier :) )

I do know of someone that had a defective charging circuit, and sold his case I believe, and might still have the other parts and be willing to sell you the sensor. If you can PM me your e-mail address I'll forward to the person in question so they can get in touch with you.

PM sent.

Appreciate your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
hab5000,

hab5000

Hi JCat,

Just wanna say thanks for putting me in touch with your friend with the Crafty temp sensor. He posted the item on Friday from Vancouver, and it arrived in Scotland this morning. Now that's quick delivery. :o Especially since he told me the mail clerk said it would be 2-3 weeks! Rebuild will be done tomorrow...

Gotta love the vaping community!

Cheers again.

JCat

Accessory Maker
I've been looking into adding the thermistor to the battery pack (so it would come pre-packaged with both connectors) for easier replacement.

This would make the packs $60 instead of $40 though ... could offer both options likely .... waiting for the parts to come in which will take a few weeks, then I will test out on my Crafty.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Looks like the parts to build the thermistors for the packs are going to work out :) ... so will have packs available with the thermistor pre-installed and both connectors. This will make installation even easier :)

Price will be $55-$60 with the thermistor installed (I've only got 2 thermistors so far, so will need to order some more parts from China, however, I believe I have found exactly the same part that S&B is using :) )

IMG_1189.jpg

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Looks like the parts to build the thermistors for the packs are going to work out :) ... so will have packs available with the thermistor pre-installed and both connectors. This will make installation even easier :)

Price will be $55-$60 with the thermistor installed (I've only got 2 thermistors so far, so will need to order some more parts from China, however, I believe I have found exactly the same part that S&B is using :) )

IMG_1189.jpg
So how easy would it be for someone with just the skills to use scissors and a screwdriver?

Jill NYC,

JCat

Accessory Maker
So how easy would it be for someone with just the skills to use scissors and a screwdriver?
Don't even need scissors as you would no longer have to 'unwrap' the original pack (would need a knife to cut through the label on the bottom though). 4 screws, remove existing pack (unplug 2 connectors), plug in 2 connectors on new pack and install, and put 2 halves back together and tighten 4 screws.

The most difficult part about this would be just being careful ... don't want to bend the wires too much and snap off the connectors, and don't want to force the case closed--if it doesn't come together with no force, then there is something in the way that needs to be "adjusted".

MinnBobber

Sweet !!!

So is there a Mighty replacement pack in the future? What does your crystal ball say??

MinnBobber,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Sweet !!!

So is there a Mighty replacement pack in the future? What does your crystal ball say??
The Mighty is just 2 Crafty packs.

Ok ... these thermistors did NOT work out! lol ... well .. they sort of did in that once connected the Crafty powered on etc, however, the wires are way too flimsy and I broke one while installing, then wasted 4-5 connectors trying to put another end on it (unsuccessfully! :lol: )

I have my eye on another one, that might have slightly heavier gauge wires ... these are a lighter gauge then the original and just too light ... not workable.

So 90% of the way there ... now just to find the EXACT part, and then test it in my Crafty for a bit. (I have my eye on one from Digikey, but the cost will be about $7 ...)

dennisnl

Hi there! I would like to replace the batteries in my mighty, because I too was offered a new mighty for EUR 258 and i am not willing to do so. Can you help me out with further instructions please? How to contact you?

dennisnl

Can you tell me how to do that, i cannot find a button (feeling stupid)..

update: I just received an e-mail back from Storz & Bickel.. they say that a new unit costs 248 instead of 258 and that it is not a matter of simply replacing the battery in my case, because I attached the wrong adapter to charge the unit. The circuit board can be broken (doesn't seem like it) which puts it beyond repair. Now I can send in the device for them to take a look.. Confusing! Gonna send it in to see what the response will be and keep you all updated.

Dogbreath

I have custom Crafty Battery Packs available for easy replacement of your battery pack. I started this project as I felt there should be an easy replacement available, that didn't require shipping your vaporizer back, especially for those of us with a vaporizer out of warranty.

CwPRH2T.jpg

These battery packs come ready to install with a pre-soldered wiring harness that meets or exceeds the specifications of the original. These are perfect for those of you that don't want to spend the time, don't have the tools, or simply aren't comfortable enough, to de-solder and re-solder the wiring harness from the original battery to a new one.

oGIl9rW.jpg

I've also sourced appropriate name brand cells with tabs for optimal performance based on others feedback in this forum, which guided my research (thanks @Vambo1980 for pointing me towards the Sony VTC6 3120mAh cell and for other inspiration and for answering my questions :)) The wire used for the harness is silver plated and rated for high current and low temperature operation.

I'm selling these packs for $40 USD + shipping.

The following are the instructions for installing your battery pack:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09116962006551867733

And here's the video instructions for installing the pack (doesn't cover removing the existing pack completely though, as I'm removing my custom pack and installing another one of my custom packs):

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments!
JCat

I would like to order a Crafty battery pack if you have one ready to go. How do we proceed?

Dogbreath,
Top Bottom