Discontinued Custom Crafty Battery Packs for Easy Replacement

JCat

Accessory Maker
Glad to hear. I'll gladly be buying one it seems. SB quoted me $190 for a whole replacement crafty instead of offering a battery replacement. F-That. I'll gladly do it myself with your mod at that price haha. Cheers m8.
Wow! So they won't replace your battery for a battery replacement fee? And that's all that's wrong with it?

Wow! That's really poor customer service! I'll post as soon as I have them back in stock ... hopefully soon. (may still buy a spot welder eventually, I considered making one, but considering I can buy one for $160 CAD w/ tax and shipping I can't see spending all the time making one!)

VanCough

Environmentalist
Hi @JCat my Mighty is sadly an old timer now at almost 3 years old, unfortunately Storz and Bickel will only offer a replacement for €248 plus my mighty.

I live in the UK and would like to replace the batteries myself, is this something you can help me with?

VanCough,
Reactions: mixchu69

JCat

Accessory Maker
Hi @JCat my Mighty is sadly an old timer now at almost 3 years old, unfortunately Storz and Bickel will only offer a replacement for €248 plus my mighty.

I live in the UK and would like to replace the batteries myself, is this something you can help me with?
Pretty sure the packs I assemble will work in the Mighty no problem too from the pictures I've seen of the Mighty internals (I don't have one here to open up and check, but I'm pretty sure)

I'll have a dozen more battery packs in stock soon (hopefully within a couple weeks), just waiting for my shipment of batteries. Only difference from the Crafty from what I can tell is you'll require 2 packs. What I can do for you is offer you 2 packs for $70 USD + shipping, and if it doesn't work out for whatever reason, I'll issue you a refund for all but my cost w/ shipping on the battery packs, or if you want to ship them back to me I'll give you a full refund less shipping.

Seem fair?

VanCough

Environmentalist
Seems incredibly fair, thank you very much!

Looking forward to being the mighty tester for your battery packs @JCat , you already seem to provide better customer service than Storz and Bickel for us mighty/crafty veterans out of warranty!

Just a question for potential future work for you, could you develop a way to have the batteries snap into place inside a battery sled? So the batteries can be replaced simply when at the end of their charge cycles? Or is that just not possible with the limited space available inside Storz and Bickel products?

JCat

Accessory Maker
Seems incredibly fair, thank you very much!

Looking forward to being the mighty tester for your battery packs @JCat , you already seem to provide better customer service than Storz and Bickel for us mighty/crafty veterans out of warranty!

Just a question for potential future work for you, could you develop a way to have the batteries snap into place inside a battery sled? So the batteries can be replaced simply when at the end of their charge cycles? Or is that just not possible with the limited space available inside Storz and Bickel products?
It's not something I would want to try to do, especially not as a self-modding option anyways ... unless you were to offer an entire replacement case of course ... but this wouldn't be easy to manufacture I imagine due to the high temp nature of the material S&B uses ... I think better to stick with the stock body :)

JCat,
Reactions: Hogni

VanCough

Environmentalist
@JCat keep those two reserved for me please mate! I'm going to open up my Mighty sometime this week (when I work up the nerve) and will send photos through to you for you to confirm whether your packs will work or not.

Doktor Dub

Yep, with the replacement battery pack from @JCat it's worth to look for used Craftys with damaged batteries for cheap and revive them with little effort.

especialy as a new cooling unit is quite cheap - makes it very easy very hygienic. Now i want a Crafty for on the go - like my Mighty a bit more in the last weeks...

VanCough

Environmentalist
I’m going to have to order a T7 screwdriver as the smallest one I have is a T8 (so frustratingly close!)

Will upload photos when I have it open. @JCat is there anything in particular you want me to take photos of or measure?

VanCough,

JCat

Accessory Maker
I’m going to have to order a T7 screwdriver as the smallest one I have is a T8 (so frustratingly close!)

Will upload photos when I have it open. @JCat is there anything in particular you want me to take photos of or measure?
I just need pictures of the individual battery packs, and where they connect to. I'm imagining there will be 2 temp sensors? (1 for each battery) From what I can tell the battery packs are the same as is in the Crafty, just 2 of the same.

The important part would be length of the wires on the battery pack, although from the pictures I've seen, I really don't see it being an issue. (I build them w/ ~5cm from top of battery to start of connector, you don't want the wires too long, nor too short, as if they are too short, bending them without damaging becomes an issue, and if too long, they don't fit :) )

Also take a good picture of the connector, 99% sure it's the same (why would they have a different one for that matter? I imagine they'd be consistent across such similar product lines ...)

VanCough

Environmentalist
My Mighty was the first vaporiser I purchased back in August of 2015.

It helped me start to kick the joints, although dynavap was the true nail in the coffin of my habit, and now I haven’t smoked anything in almost a year.

Unfortunately the old girl is getting tired now and she needs some new batteries. I contacted Storz and Bickel twice and their response both times was that because my unit was outside of the warranty period, my only option was to send my unit in and pay €248 for a new one. Gee, thanks...

Thankfully I’ve been alerted to @jcat’s ‘Custom Crafty Battery Packs for Easy Replacement’ thread and I’ve offered to be the guinea pig to see if his packs work in the mighty.

I can’t believe I couldn’t find any decent photos of the mighty disassembled. So I figured whilst taking mine apart to provide @JCat with the information he needs to be sure his packs will work, I’d document it for all you FCers ;)

My serial number is MY023021.

First remove the sticker on the back of your unit, I used a hairdryer to warm the glue so the sticker came off easily in one piece for reapplication at a later date.

Underneath the sticker are two screws, in @jcat’s guide for the crafty he states they are a Torx 7 size but curiously mine were a Torx 6 size. The screw holes are deeply recessed so if you need to purchase the appropriate screwdriver get one that has a narrow bit holder.

Once they’re removed there is a clip underneath where the orange pockey tool inserts into the unit, push down on this area whilst you pry the plastic shell apart at the corner and it should pop open fairly easily.

Next came the frustrating part for me, as you can see in the photo below I’ve unfortunately broken one of the small plastic clip slots at the top of the unit by trying to repeat the prying method I used to open the bottom. Fortunately my pain is a lesson for you all, just push the shell from the bottom up and it should slide the clips out and then the shell is off.
bnWSgpG.jpg

Here is the inside of the back shell:
SVuQu3T.jpg

Here is a photo of the Mighty’s internals (I’ve already unclipped the battery and temperature leads to the motherboard):
kJ1NYvS.jpg

Here is an internal view of where the air enters into the unit (it is seperated from the electronics when the shell is complete):
iTPZmES.jpg
6ZsltuS.jpg
dzJNi1X.jpg

Here is the information on one of my batteries (both are the same), it’s not a particularly good cell but it isn’t terrible either with a total of 5400mah combined and a 10amp per battery discharge rate. However, there are cells available now with 3000mah+ and 15amp+ discharge rates; which is probably what the newer units have.
UzRhFXP.jpg

Here is a photo of the heating unit and motherboard/screen removed from the shell completely. It was secured by four more T6 screws (see photo 3):
uz1rh1u.jpg
r350yWC.jpg

And finally the inside of the front shell, I believe the white circle is a moisture detector? So if you need to send yours in for repair due to water damage then perhaps this could be replaced to ensure your warranty is honoured?
Plyd2Bo.jpg

The following photos are for @JCat to ensure the connections are the same in the mighty as they are for the crafty to ensure his packs will work:
5EecVCE.jpg
9Fbir3g.jpg
eF654Hz.jpg
eJoxS6n.jpg
Ftd2pHa.jpg
mWyuF7c.jpg
kNNyBUf.jpg

Sorry for my inaccurate measuring, the wires were unaccommodating. Stretched out, the wire with the white connector measures ~4cm whilst the wire with the black connector measures ~5cm:
vTi9dTp.jpg

Hopefully this can help someone else in future! :peace::leaf:

What’s the verdict then @JCat ? We all good to go?

Last edited:

VanCough

Environmentalist
@JCat could you dm me a final quote for the cost including shipping of two packs? You quote above $70+shipping but I have no idea how much that will cost to the UK?

VanCough,

rodders83

I hope you both get packs going for the Mighty they do indeed now ask 248 euro from loyal customers when previously quoting 60 on the internet and email. Now policy changed and if you look at the 20 percent sale now i can get one with a further 20 euro off so its bonkers they want the old mighty as a trade when you can get one at 258 euro im sure i can if not it us 278 euro....

Thats really poor can you not plug the damm thing in at the wall and still get 1 bowl? But if this becomes easy at least people will not have a 348 euro brick. Which considering people using one when sick and forced not to work you get sucked into a 248 euro washing machine cycle for your wallet.

VanCough

Environmentalist
Can anyone who’s done business with @JCat vouch for him for me please?

Just want to have peace of mind before I do a friends and family PayPal transfer with him.

VanCough,
Reactions: RobbIt

MonkeyTime

Can anyone who’s done business with @JCat vouch for him for me please?

Just want to have peace of mind before I do a friends and family PayPal transfer with him.

I hope this doesn't come accross like I'm trying to be an ass (I'm not I swear!), but other than being direct, not sure how to say this....

Does it help if someone that you don't know, vouches for someone you don't know?

He's got a great reputation around these parts, and I know first hand that PayPal is very good with disputes.

Go for it!

And thanks for the pics of the tear down! S/B recently replaced my Mighty, and it's seen nothing but capsules since and looks great. But if I ever have to, your comments and pictures give me more than enough confidence to do my own.

VanCough

Environmentalist
I hope this doesn't come accross like I'm trying to be an ass (I'm not I swear!), but other than being direct, not sure how to say this....

Does it help if someone that you don't know, vouches for someone you don't know?

He's got a great reputation around these parts, and I know first hand that PayPal is very good with disputes.

Go for it!

And thanks for the pics of the tear down! S/B recently replaced my Mighty, and it's seen nothing but capsules since and looks great. But if I ever have to, your comments and pictures give me more than enough confidence to do my own.

A friends and family transaction on PayPal means once the money transfers they wash their hands of it and take no responsibility. You should only do it with people you trust but it will benefit JCat so I’m considering it.

Yeah it would help because why would someone be biased either way? They’d just speak to their experience of dealing with him.

No problem, I can’t believe no one had done a disassembly with photos/video. I couldn’t find one at least.

elmomuzz

That just happened...
You just have to ask yourself if it’s worth paying $40 for a $7 battery. :)

elmomuzz,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Yes, @elmomuzz ... that is a fair question, and I honestly am fine with someone ordering the $7 battery, + the proper crimpers to make the ends, and the silver plated wire that goes with it, + the properly sized shrink wrap for said batteries ... or if they are good w/ a soldering iron, then they can just order the $7 battery. That being said, if you are in Canada or the US, the only reliable place I've found for batteries it will cost you another $40+ for shipping that single battery.

(I did spend >$200 on parts and shipping and fiddling around before even selling my first battery pack, more done as I felt what S&B was doing was ridiculous, and not everybody, in fact not most, are comfortable de-soldering and re-soldering their own battery packs). So anyways ... I'm totally ok with people buying their own batteries w/ u-Tabs (I've provided my source multiple times), and soldering and assembling their own packs (I've assisted with instructions and through messages as well).

That being said ... the ~$30 per pack that I make, after dealing with the communications, the packaging, the shipping (these are all pretty much one off orders so I'm sure I spend almost an hour per transaction of my time not including the assembly of the pack itself), so $30 is actually so low that it's not worth my doing this at all; but like I've said many times in here, I do this one as a service to the community more than anything else. If you wish to build your own pack, all the more power to you, and I will gladly provide advice and support to help you (as I do everywhere else in this forum as well)

And as for the friends and family, it's a difference of 5%, and I'm fine either way. I've always done well by anyone I've had transactions with on this forum, and shockingly, after I'm sure a good 40-50 transactions, I've never been stiffed once myself; this is a true testament to how good and honest people can be. This forum almost makes me feel good about humanity! :lol:

Anyways ... been super busy, so hadn't had a chance to respond (for that matter just catching up a little this morning), but thought I should.

Anyways @elmomuzz, no hard feelings at all, and you are correct, and I agree with you. It's a valid question. But I stand by my price being extremely fair.

JCat

Accessory Maker
@JCat just wanted to say a big thank you for all the information you’ve provided.

I’m going to try and replace my Mighty batteries myself, as I’m in the UK and it all seems to be within my abilities.

I definitely wouldn’t feel confident enough without reading all you’ve written though!
No problem :) Glad to help, and let us all know how it goes!

Top Bottom