Custom Copper Nickel Vise and Arbor Jaws For Rosin Tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PNW_High_Times

Oneiric

Love this thread, and the other rosin tech thread (though that one took WAY longer to read through).

Was super excited as I was getting to the end of this one, until I started reading the posts about @Joel W. not being able to continue making them!

I'm glad that you're currently able to help others out still, and its making me wonder if I should move up the timeline I had in mind for when I wanted to get a vise and some plates from Joel!

Well, you got me to register here so that I could show support, and I will definitely be keeping tabs on this thread for more updates!

-Alex

BoogerMan

They are listening. lol, I am all out of stock already. :o

More will be here in a few days though.. :tup:
I'm so happy to read this man! You deserve the amount of business you are getting. You are one of the nicest and most helpful guys I have met on here :D

I honestly have never had a better experience buying anything from anyone. Joel by far has the best customer service and the best, most affordable rosin plates available.

Keep up the good work man. We all appreciate it very very much :tup:

PNW_High_Times

I'm so happy to read this man! You deserve the amount of business you are getting. You are one of the nicest and most helpful guys I have met on here :D

I honestly have never had a better experience buying anything from anyone. Joel by far has the best customer service and the best, most affordable rosin plates available.

Keep up the good work man. We all appreciate it very very much :tup:

The heat source costs $25!?! WTF are you people waiting for?!? Almost forgot. You're waiting for Joel to get more inventory. :clap::tup::rockon::D

Oneiric

Hey guys,

My friend has a 1/2 ton arbor press that he has lying around and I told him about the @Joel W. plates I should be getting tomorrow for my bolton vise(super excited btw!).

You think 1/2 ton is good enough for a small personal setup using those plates? Or is that just not going to be enough? He's considering trying the setup if his press is going to be good enough.

Not sure if anyone would know, but which can apply more force between a bolton vise (that joel reccomends) and the 1/2 ton arbor press?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!
-Alex

Oneiric,
Reactions: Joel W.

PNW_High_Times

Hey guys,

My friend has a 1/2 ton arbor press that he has lying around and I told him about the @Joel W. plates I should be getting tomorrow for my bolton vise(super excited btw!).

You think 1/2 ton is good enough for a small personal setup using those plates? Or is that just not going to be enough? He's considering trying the setup if his press is going to be good enough.

Not sure if anyone would know, but which can apply more force between a bolton vise (that joel reccomends) and the 1/2 ton arbor press?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!
-Alex

I wouldn't user a half ton press personally but it will work. Just turn up the heat a little bit to compensate for the low psi.

The Bolton vice is going to apply more pressure than a half ton press.

Oneiric

Thanks for the help guys.

I was looking at my local Lowe's to find something to attach my Bolton vise to but couldn't find anything remotely close to what I had in mind.

Any cheap solutions out there for a reasonably sized table or bench for the Bolton vise?

Any recommendations for a vertical setup? I imagine squishing would be a lot easier that way.

-Alex

grokit

well-worn member
@Oneiric I am in the same situation, I was thinking of building a "mini bench" out of heavy wood like 2" x 8" dimensional lumber, maybe with a double top for added weight and a middle shelf for electronics and a place to put a rock or something down below as a counterweight. But then I decided to consider another option, as you are to mount it vertically. I have a 6" x 6" true dimension post in my basement that is very solid, and am planning to get around to it later next week as a reward after I wrap up a couple of other projects.

Oneiric

So I ended up just drilling some holes into an unused end table I had in my apartment.
uj3fFVJ.jpg

I'm using a Bolton Vise, 2 Mudder 60W Soldering Irons, @Joel W. 2" Round Plates, and a torque wrench.
Also, this is my first time ever attempting rosin. I literally just got Joel's plates in this afternoon.

For some reason, my irons are not heating evenly, as well as heating way too hot. I had originally set them to 325C on the irons, and the heat got up to 300F before I started turning it down. After a bit of fidgeting, I gave up and ended up turning them both down to the lowest setting. My final temperatures settled to around 290F, and I decided to go ahead and try squishing.

For my first ever attempt at rosin, I used 1G of some free Gorilla Glue I got at my local dispensary. I broke it up into three chunks and rolled them into as tight a ball as I could with my hands. I double sleeved that in some plain Reynolds parchment paper and squished once each. I tried a second squish on one puck but got pretty much nothing. Here are the three sheets:
rjP4pgS.jpg

Unfortunately, I lost my scale in a recent move so I can't calculate my yield. I decided to take this first rosin press as a single celebratory dab:
wmeu1KO.jpg

After that, I decided to squish 1.75G of some Blue Chip Brain Candy (Indica), and this is my final yield:
eqHk9LX.jpg

Just took a small dab of that and I am feeling really good :cool:

Thanks everyone for all the great information both on here and the other rosin tech thread. Obviously a HUGE shout out to @Joel W. for the awesome custom plates that let's even this complete newbie make this an easy job. Having a ton of fun and enjoying my results right now :rockon:

Edit: Fixed the image links.

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
For some reason, my irons are not heating evenly, as well as heating way too hot. I had originally set them to 325C on the irons, and the heat got up to 300F before I started turning it down. After a bit of fidgeting, I gave up and ended up turning them both down to the lowest setting. My final temperatures settled to around 290F, and I decided to go ahead and try squishing.

That is very weird about your high temp issue. I would try these irons and see if they lower your temp, as I have not used those black irons before??? Just my guess though.

I would unplug the irons when about 215f and squish for now, until we figure it out.

Oneiric

That is very weird about your high temp issue. I would try these irons and see if they lower your temp, as I have not used those black irons before??? Just my guess though.

I would unplug the irons when about 215f and squish for now, until we figure it out.
I bought the Mudder Irons from your signature link:
http://www.amazon.com/Mudder-Adjust...36&sr=1-15&keywords=adjustable+soldering+iron

Am I supposed to remove the tip? I used a random one included from the set.
-Alex

Oneiric,

Joel W.

Accessory Maker
I bought the Mudder Irons from your signature link:
http://www.amazon.com/Mudder-Adjust...36&sr=1-15&keywords=adjustable+soldering+iron

Am I supposed to remove the tip? I used a random one included from the set.
-Alex
I wonder if those are different than the ones I am using? I thought they were the same but looking at your pictures, they look a little larger by how far it's sticking out the end of the block.? I am going to remove the amazonlink from my sig I think.

Removing the tip may help, but I am not sure. It's worth a shot.

Edit: The specs seem to be the same but i dunno. Very weird.:hmm:

Try letting them cool, Then turn them all the way down, turn back on and let me know what temp they are at after 20-mins or so?

Last edited:

Oneiric

So I did what you said and I'm sitting just above 200F after 20 minutes. I think its still creeping up a little higher too. I might as well wait before I post because I think theres a no double posting rule??

[After waiting another 20 minutes...]
So now it is at 240/250 (10F difference; plates are touching each other).

I also removed the tips and plugged the other end with aluminum. I'll try removing the aluminum.
-Alex

Oneiric,

Joel W.

Accessory Maker
So I did what you said and I'm sitting just above 200F after 20 minutes. I think its still creeping up a little higher too. I might as well wait before I post because I think theres a no double posting rule??

[After waiting another 20 minutes...]
So now it is at 240/250 (10F difference; plates are touching each other).

I also removed the tips and plugged the other end with aluminum. I'll try removing the aluminum.
-Alex
One thing I would try is closing the jaws tight together, then turning on just one iron on full and see where the jaws settle temp wise? If it heats up both jaws above 220f after 20+ minutes then we can be pretty confident these irons are running hotter than the others.

Oneiric

So I'm on a business trip for the next week and won't be able to play around with my setup till next weekend. One thing I saw last night when I had the irons inserted without the tip, was that the core of the irons on one of them (appears to be made out of ceramic? Not sure) glows red hot and the other does not. This iron runs hotter than the other by about 30F. Maybe I got a defective iron? Even still, the "cooler" iron still heats the single plate wel above 220F by itself.

I'll do some more investigating when I get back.

-Alex

Oneiric,

BoogerMan

I'm running those same irons, the black mudder ones I got off amazon. I set mine to max (450C) for about 10 minutes which gets me up to 180-200F. Then I lower them to about 325-350C and the plates stay around 180-200F. If I set the irons to 350C from the start, it takes the plates around 45 minutes to get to 180-200F. I removed the solder tip and plugged the other hole in the plate with foil. But that is on my H press. I don't remember if I ever used these irons on my vise plates or not...

Oneiric

Wow, thanks for sending those over! Now thats what I call awesome customer service! Can't praise @Joel W. and his plates enough.

I'll definitely take a look at them this weekend when I get back home and let you know how it works out.

@BoogerMan Yeah, that does not sound like my experience at all. I haven't even messed with them above the lowest setting.

-Alex

Oneiric

My Mudders are set in the 350 range and work fine. I bought mine from the Amazon link previously provided by @Joel W. but I bought the blue version instead of the black.
So it definitely sounds like at least one of my irons is defective (the one that glows red and gets way too hot).
I'll be back at home on saturday and I'll be sure to report back what I find out.
I should try sticking the temp probe onto the irons and see what it reads at. I guess that would be the simplest way of testing it? haha, dunno why that thought didn't occur to me before...

Thanks for all the help in trying to get this sorted out for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom