Custom CARBLESS VapCap Ti stems

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Found another small e-Bay Titanium " jewel "...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titanium-Alloy-Toothpick-Holder-Case-Container-Traveling-Set-Portable-Outdoor/152943052139?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=452711366348&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I've actually ordered two of those.
Not for the Titanium toothpick ,of course (I kinda need my teeth enamel to stay intact ),
but for the Titanium stash tube !

(...)
Toothpick Holder:
Material: Titanium (grade 5 ,most probably )
Height: 88.8mm
Depth: 78mm
OD: 10mm ID: 7.3mm
(...)

The toothpick can be used where ever else ,but not on your teeth.
As a nice and tiny-but-not-so dab tool,maybe ?

Each tube came with a ..."toothpick " and two spare o-rings (buna -N most probably ) .
They stunk machining oil and they where covered with it .Set needs a good ISO bath prior to use.

The machining is fairly good .It's kinda tricky to screw the cap back on the tube
and might give some trouble.Titanium is amongst the worst metals to have threads on it.
The small pitch threads can "stick" (permanent damage ) together if someone is careless
to use more muscle instead of more brains,to screw the cap back on the tube.

It must be holding (a really rough estimate ) somewhere between 1 to 2 grams ,
but herb has to be medium to fine grinded .

Nice price ,you get a nice quality Ti stash tube ,that some brave ones might mod it into a DIY Ti VapCap stem and you get also a small Titanium needle (no,ain't a toothpick ) with a very sharp point .

Cheers.

Last edited:

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
I do not like Viton o-rings anymore.

Yes they are durable enough ,but they scare the shit out of me .
Viton is a fluorocarbon elastomer .
Very nasty if gets burned accidently.

(...)
Inhalation of decomposition products from overheating may cause lung irritation or shortness of breath. Fluid in the lungs (pulmonary oedema) with cough, wheezing, abnormal lung sounds, possibly progressing to severe shortness of breath and bluish discoloration of the skin (symptoms might be delayed)
(...)
(...)
Hazardous decomposition products Hydrogen fluoride, Carbonyl fluoride,
Fluorinated hydrocarbons, Fluorinated olefins

(...)

https://www.calpaclab.com/content/v/images/custom/Viton-MSDS.pdf

So no more FKM (aka "Viton " ) o-rings for my VapCaps !

Instead i use silicone (VMQ )
(...)
Hazardous decomposition products resulting from overheating or combustion: Alcohols, Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide, Hydrocarbons.
(...)

www.m-seals.dk/da/info-side/.../msds-vmq.pdf

Aftermarket VMQ ( silicone ,brick red color ) o -rings for the VapCap tips /OMNI condenser *** :

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=368_686_687&products_id=25083

http://www.oringsandmore.com/silicone-o-rings-6-x-1mm-price-for-10-pcs/

CS : 1 mm
ID : 6 mm
OD : 8 mm

Kalessin

I do not like Viton o-rings anymore.

Yes they are durable enough ,but they scare the shit out of me .
Viton is a fluorocarbon elastomer .
Very nasty if gets burned accidently.

(...)
Inhalation of decomposition products from overheating may cause lung irritation or shortness of breath. Fluid in the lungs (pulmonary oedema) with cough, wheezing, abnormal lung sounds, possibly progressing to severe shortness of breath and bluish discoloration of the skin (symptoms might be delayed)
(...)
(...)
Hazardous decomposition products Hydrogen fluoride, Carbonyl fluoride,
Fluorinated hydrocarbons, Fluorinated olefins

(...)

https://www.calpaclab.com/content/v/images/custom/Viton-MSDS.pdf

So no more FKM (aka "Viton " ) o-rings for my VapCaps !

Instead i use silicone (VMQ )
(...)
Hazardous decomposition products resulting from overheating or combustion: Alcohols, Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide, Hydrocarbons.
(...)

www.m-seals.dk/da/info-side/.../msds-vmq.pdf

Aftermarket VMQ ( silicone ,brick red color ) o -rings for the VapCap tips /OMNI condenser *** :

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=368_686_687&products_id=25083

http://www.oringsandmore.com/silicone-o-rings-6-x-1mm-price-for-10-pcs/

CS : 1 mm
ID : 6 mm
OD : 8 mm
That is kind of scary, but I can't imagine my vapcap ever getting hot enough to burn the orings. I saw a video of someone once heating the tip while holding it at the o-rings with no problems. Have you had problems with your all metal bodies heating up too much?

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
That is kind of scary, but I can't imagine my vapcap ever getting hot enough to burn the orings. I saw a video of someone once heating the tip while holding it at the o-rings with no problems. Have you had problems with your all metal bodies heating up too much?

Nope,the Ti bodies can not get more hot than the tip ,as long as the o-rings are in place.

What i'm afraid actually is the exposed one ,the one that isolates the tip "lip" from the body's "lip".
there's always the possibility that the aiming with a torch lighter might "slip off " towards that o-ring.
maybe while on the move ,or under a low light situation ,or at novice /shaky hands ,etc.

And FKM ( Viton ) is much more nasty than PTFE (teflon ) ,as it has a higher Fluoride content .

I want my vC to be as much inert as possible.
And actually at the VapCap's case it is quite easy to achieve that goal !
;)

Stainless steel (cap ) - Titanium (tip,body ,mp ) -Silicone (o-rings )
Pure and simple !

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
You're forgetting another possible way to heat it. That is sticking it into an IH the wrong way.

The X-rings of the standard SS condensers are made from Buna_n (nitrile rubber ) which is not
that dangerous when decomposed under combustion or overheating.

https://www.gptindustries.com/sites/default/files/documents/en/Nitrile (Buna) Rubber Material Safety Data Sheet_0.pdf

Nevertheless,personally my VapCaps I use do not have condensers -as they are all carbless- ,
thus there are no X-rings on my VapCaps .
Still there are 2x silicone o-rings at the mouthpiece.

cheers.

szai

The X-rings of the standard SS condensers are made from Buna_n (nitrile rubber ) which is not
that dangerous when decomposed under combustion or overheating.

https://www.gptindustries.com/sites/default/files/documents/en/Nitrile (Buna) Rubber Material Safety Data Sheet_0.pdf

Nevertheless,personally my VapCaps I use do not have condensers -as they are all carbless- ,
thus there are no X-rings on my VapCaps .
Still there are 2x silicone o-rings at the mouthpiece.

cheers.
Though I think it's not much concern because I think the orings stop seeling after that happens

szai,

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
If you accidentally stick your dynavap into an IH while it is upside down and if you then over heat those orings they die. So it's kind of a moot point.

i still do not get what is your point here.

The whole issue is about the fumes- byproducts- VOCs produced by accidental o-ring combustion.
And their possible hazardous effects to human health .

Not about sealing or VC operation.

stardustsailor,

szai

i still do not get what is your point here.

The whole issue is about the fumes- byproducts- VOCs produced by accidental o-ring combustion.
And their possible hazardous effects to human health .

Not about sealing or VC operation.

I get your concern I'm only speaking about the xrings and what happens if you heat them. Man I just got a bunch of Vito rings in too.

szai,

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
If Buna-n x rings get overheated -combusted you do not have to fear of anything ,
if you 're close.

But when Viton O-rings get combusted ,very nasty fumes escape which might affect human health,
when in a confined space ,like indoors.

(..)
Firefighting Instructions : Wear self-contained breathing apparatus and protective suit. Wear neoprene gloves during cleaning up work after a VITON® fire. Evacuate personnel to safe areas. Do not allow run-off from fire fighting to enter drains or water courses. The solid polymer can only be burned with difficulty.
(...)

(...)
Skin protection : If there is a potential for contact with hot/molten material wear heat resistant clothing and footwear. If VITON® is used above 315°C the surface may contain hydrogen fluoride condensate which may cause severe burns. In this case wear neoprene gloves. Skin should be washed after contact.
(...)

Even if you touch a burned Viton O-ring you 're risking :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_fluoride#/media/File:HF_burned_hands.jpg

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
High Temperature Service (Above 275 °C -527 °F- )
In most applications, parts made from Viton™ can be
exposed to temperatures up to 275 °C (527 °F) without
significant decomposition or health hazard.
Hydrogen fluoride is
regulated as an air contaminant in the United States
under OSHA CFR Title 29 1910.1000, which sets the
8-hr time weighted average (TWA) exposure limit in any
8-hr work shift of a 40-hr work week at 3 ppm.

https://www.chemours.com/Viton/en_U...on-related-chemicals-handling-precautions.pdf

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Orderered one lot ( #100pcs ) of these VMQ transparent o-rings ,for $13 (free shipping ) .
I think they will look great with Titanium parts.

(...)
Silicones are a group of elastomeric materials made from silicone, oxygen, hydrogen, and carbon. Extreme temperature range and low temperature flexibility are characteristics of silicone compounds. As a group, silicones have poor tensile strength, tear resistance, and abrasion resistance. Special compounds have been developed with exceptional heat and compression set resistance. High strength compounds have also been made, but their strength does not compare to conventional rubber. Silicones possess excellent resistance to extreme temperatures -50°C to + 232°C (-58°F to +450°F). Some special compounds resist even higher temperatures. Retention of properties of silicone at high temperature is superior to most other elastic materials.

Silicone compounds are very clean and are used in many food and medical applications because they do not impart odor or taste. Silicone compounds are not recommended for dynamic O-ring sealing applications due to relatively low tear strength and high coefficient of friction. Silicone is resistant to hot air, ozone, UV radiation, engine and transmission oils, animal and vegetable fats and oils, and brake fluids. VMQ also has low resistance to mineral oils. Silicone can be compounded to be electrically resistant, conductive, or flame retardant. Many silicone compounds have a higher than normal mold shrinkage. Therefore production molds for silicone products are often different than molds for nitrile.

(...)

https://o-ring.info/en/materials/silicone--vmq/

(..)
Silicone rubber contains methyl and vinyl groups attached to the main silicone chain. Silicone O ring seals are characterised by excellent resistance to temperature extremes and thermal cycling. Silicone does not impart odour or taste, which makes it suitable for many food and pharmaceutical applications. Silicone rubber however, has poor mechanical properties as compared to other elastomers and for this reason silicone O ring seals are generally not used in dynamic applications. It is not suitable for use with silicone O ring seal lubrication, PTFE alternatives should be used instead.

https://www.polymax.co.uk/o-rings/r...silicone-o-rings-list/o-rings-bs517-bs562-sil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are at least four main types of VMQ o-rings :

1 ) 60 Duro VMQ o-rings / brick red - rust color / General purpose ,Food and Beverage /Max oper. temp : 220 °C

2 ) 70 Duro VMQ o-rings / brick red -rust color (or black ) / General purpose ,Food and Beverage /Max oper. temp : 220 °C

3) 60 Duro VMQ o-rings / transparent / Pharmaceutical /Max oper. temp : 200 °C

4) 70 Duro VMQ o-rings / white color / Pharmaceutical /Max oper. temp : 250 °C

I've found the types #1, #2 and #3 on the market,already.
Of course ideally ,I would to get the #4 option ,but after some brief googling around,
I was not able to locate those white VMQ o-rings .

Last edited:

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Some updates .

#1 : I'm having some issues (again!) with the mini lathe.
Driving belt has to be replaced pretty soon.

#2 : CCD tool .Nope.It does not work as I would like to.
It puts great strain ( till becomes painful enough ) to the fingers in order to set the CCD in the corresponding grooves .I'm leaving this ,maybe to be revisited in the future.

#3 Made two experimental stems (for my private collection ,actually ) .
Both are of XL length ( ~79 mm ) and carbless w/o condenser :

The first one is a two-piece stem ( stem & mouthpiece ).
"Ergo" twister knurled 65 mm long stem and a 28 mm long mp .

14 mm being the length that sticks out of the stem and
another 14 mm of length is inside the stem . 65 mm + 14 mm = 79 mm ,XL stem length.

And the mp serves as a CCD setting tool.Without any strain to the fingers !

The second stem is one-piece 79 mm XL stem ,with tapered mp.

It's made of 7 mm ID Titanium tubing ,thus it has thicker walls ( 1.5 mm thick wall) versus the
ordinary Ti stems ( 1 mm thick wall ) .

It's heavier than ordinary carbless XL stems ,but it has a rather interesting feature .
At the tip-side the ID has been bored to 8 mm ,in order for the tip to fit .
Thus leaving an inner lip , 0.5 mm wide.Tip is inserted about 5 mm inside the stem.
The lip is located 8 mm deep in the stem.A CCD can be installed there...

... Thus creating a second chamber of ~ 0,15 ml volume
( inner tube of tip not taken into account :
Volume formula of cylinder is πR^2*h =>
0,4 cm * 0,4 cm * 3.14 * (0.8-0.5 ) cm = ~0.15 cm^3 aka ml . )
That chamber can be filled with degummed hemp fiber for super-filtering micro particles ,
OR
can be used as a "Low Temperature Convective Infusion Chamber " ,
where a second herb (like lavender,mint,sage,damiana,etc ) can be used to gently introduce it's terpenes (aromas) and /or other substances into the passing -through hot vapor ...

:science:

And here is where all the magic takes place :D

Cheers.
:peace:

Last edited:

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
@stardustsailor woukd you ever consider making some futuristic looking cases to hold your stems? It feels odd to place my blade runner esque piece into an organic material like the Dynastash.

I would need a CNC mill for that .

Still ,those cases would need some kind of inner liner material.Most probably of organic origin.
Otherwise placing a full Titanium vapCap into a bare metal case ,is rather bad idea for ...
maintaining the metal surface integrity.
;)

Last edited:

szai

I would need a CNC mill for that .

Still ,those cases would need some kind of inner liner material.Most probably of organic origin.
Otherwise placing a full Titanium vapCap into a bare metal case ,is rather bad idea for ...
maintaining the metal surface intergrity.
;)
You could just design it to accept the dynatube with the top cut off

Top Bottom