1. Interested in a popular vape? Short on time? Be sure to check out the Best Of threads for Plug-Ins and Portables.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Crafty Warmup Time Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'Vaporization Discussion' started by Stu, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Stu

Stu Maconheiro Staff Member

There has been some interesting discussion in the Crafty thread about comparing heat up times between units. 180° C has been the most common temperature used by members to perform this test, and the number of hours on the odometer allows users to get an idea of how the heat up times decline over the lifespan of the Crafty. I had an idea of charting those results, but I realize that an important factor is not taken into account during these tests, and that is the difference in ambient temperature between users. If member A lives in Miami, his results are not going to be that meaningful to member A that lives in a cooler climate especially if they are outdoors.

To eliminate this factor, I propose that we perform the same test, but instead of just going to 180° C, we should account for the ambient temperature that the Crafty displays prior to heating and just add 160° C to that number.

So for example, my Crafty right now shows a temp of 30° C, so I’m going to time how long my Crafty takes to get to 190° C. (ambient temp of 30° + 160° = 190°). If your ambient temperature is 20° you would use 180°, and so on and so forth.

I propose that whoever would like to participate in this project follow these simple steps:

1) Fully charge your battery
    2) Set your target temp to ambient temp + 160°C
    3) Time how long it takes to heat up to this set temp
    4) Post in this thread your results along with the number of hours on your odometer

I will collect whatever data we get and chart it to see the results.

Please do not post comments in this thread, just test results. Feel free to comment however in the Crafty thread if you would like to.

I have no idea whether we will glean any useful data or not, but it doesn’t hurt to try.

I’ll go first:…

Hours on odometer: 24
    Time to increase temp 160° over room temp: 2:02

:peace:

Edit: Results to date below (last updated 9/28/16)
    (That German entry was removed as an anomaly)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    snackmaster, horst, SSVUN~YAH and 7 others like this.
  2. Sasquatch_Jr

Sasquatch_Jr Well-Known Member

3. herbivore21

herbivore21 Well-Known Member

I'd love to take part in this but unfortunately my crafty and phone are incompatible at the moment! This will be interesting stuff!

4. horst

horst Well-Known Member

Hours on odometer: 29
    Time to increase temp 160° over room temp: 2:16

SSVUN~YAH, biohacker and Stu like this.
  5. HerbieVonVapster

HerbieVonVapster Well-Known Member

Like this ideal but can we maybe add the firmware version to info collected? Like to see if any difference between firmwares and heat up times.

biohacker likes this.
  6. Crafty Vaper

Crafty Vaper Ain't easy being green

[​IMG]

Still got no probs with my unit. Battery life lasts for 2 and a half sessions. From 21 to 180 in 1:58 min.

SSVUN~YAH, DoubleVanos and biohacker like this.
  7. DoubleVanos

DoubleVanos Well-Known Member

73 hours. 3/4 filled bowl with liquid pad. 19 C - 179 C = 2:32. Almost the same as when I timed it around 20 hours.

SSVUN~YAH, biohacker and Stu like this.
  8. scottg402

scottg402 Well-Known Member

Hours on odometer: 44
    Time to increase temp 160° over room temp: 2:30

9. Stu

Since I received a brand new replacement today, I tested it at zero hours. I also threw out the one post that seemed out of line with the others.

[​IMG]

Feel free to contribute to the thread at various points in your Crafty's life cycle as more data is better data.:nod:

10. h3rbalist

h3rbalist I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too

Hours usage - 0
    Firmware - 2.07
    Serial - CY0188XX
    Ambient temp - 25
    Target temp -185

Warmup time - 1:31

Vambo1980, Stu and scottg402 like this.
  11. venomflipz

venomflipz New Member

Hours usage - 2
    Firmware - 2.07

Time to increase temp 160° over room temp: 1:34

Stu, scottg402 and h3rbalist like this.
  12. Roth

Roth Well-Known Member

Hours: 44
    Firmware: 2.04
    Serial: CY0005XX
    Ambient Temp: 21° C
    Target Temp: 181° C

Warmup Time: 1:57

Appreciate you heading this up, @Stu! Will be very interesting to see the results once a large data set is collected.

Glad you plugged it in the Crafty thread the other day too, I had no idea this thread existed. Will try to mention it every now and then.

Would be nice to have another chart for Mighty owners as well, to see how the two compare. The only downside is you can't see how many hours they have. Not sure the best way to try and classify their usage at that point.

13. Dj Essence

Dj Essence New Member

Hi Stu

Sorry for the delay just timed it from 22 c room temp with full charge & bowl it took 1 minute 54 seconds to get to 160 c .

Stu likes this.
  14. Stu

Thanks for testing, but for the analysis that I'm looking at we are using the time to increase the temp 160°C over room temperature. So if your ambient temp is 22°C, then if you could time the heat up to 182°C (22+160).......
    [​IMG]

15. Dj Essence

Dj Essence New Member

Hi Stu

Sorry was a bit high when I initially read your request & I got the wrong end of the stick lol . Retested just now . Currently on 120 hour use full battery ambient room temperature of 23c full bowl . Unit took 2 minutes 25 seconds to get to 183c.

Grim Chiclets, Stu and Roth like this.
  16. Roth

Roth Well-Known Member

Next time you have a full battery, could you do it again, but with an empty bowl?

That way as many factors as possible are taken out of the equation. A tightly packed bowl will take longer to heat up, since it has some thermal mass to take some of the heat being generated. How much it affects it, couldn't say.

KidFated. likes this.
  17. Stu

Thanks for the data, guys. Feel free to check back with new measurements as your Crafty ages. I'll continue to update the chart on the first post of this thread.:nod:

justcametomind likes this.
  18. justcametomind

justcametomind IT'S TIME!

Time to increase 160°C from room temp: 2:03 (it was 1:30/45 a few months ago).
    Hours: 43
    Fw: 2.05
    S/N: 8000~

Stu likes this.
  19. Grim Chiclets

Grim Chiclets Well-Known Member

My buddy's Crafty just got replaced by S&B; but will post measurements from the new one! I believe it's still under an hour, qualifying it as pretty damn new. Should be fun to see how this goes, especially with later specs taken- nifty idea for a thread!

Stu likes this.
  20. fishwater

fishwater New Member

Day old crafty, from 27c to 187c was 1.31
    Hours-1
    Firmware-V02.07
    Serial-CY0208XX

biohacker and Stu like this.
  21. horst

horst Well-Known Member

Hours: 50
    Firmware: 2.04
    Serial: CY0044XX
    Ambient Temp: 20° C
    Target Temp: 180° C

Warmup Time: 2:19

Mine seems to be stable, nearly same results since april

Stu likes this.
  22. justcametomind

justcametomind IT'S TIME!

My worst guess is that (especially if you use concentrates), you get a build up under the holes at the bottom of the chamber. Because of that, it takes more time to heat up cause first the heater has to heat up the build up, then heat goes to the chamber. Hope it's not the case.
    My unit could be affected by that, since I used too much oil at a time.

23. biohacker

biohacker Hopped Up

I don't think it's that, I think it's the battery, and from all my research on this it almost appears that the battery heat up eventually stabilizes around 2 1/2 minutes, although i'm pretty sure my old Crafty at 35 hours was even longer than that but still <3 minutes.

justcametomind likes this.
  24. ChooChooCharlie

ChooChooCharlie Hobo

Hours: 17
    Warm up time 1:46
    Ambient 21 C
    Target 181 C
    Firmware: V02.07

biohacker and Stu like this.
  25. Stu

Thanks for the input, CCC. Here's the updated chart: