Cooking with coconut oil

B.

War Criminal
Here's my method for cooking my abv into coconut oil. It isn't scientific, but it's simple and effective.

I start with a double boiler, which is basically a pot that rests above another pot of boiling water, which is great because it will keep you from burning your oil.

I use just enough oil to cover the abv, which I grind to a powder in a coffee grinder, and stir it at least 6 times over the course of an hour or so.

After letting it cool a bit a filter it thru a coffee filter. I find eating the plant material never agrees with me, and adds an unpleasant aspect to the buzz. Some people like to include it. Up to you.

Here's a nice pictorial of a fairly similar method.

http://www.thecannabischef.com/content/how-make-cannabis-shortening

The biggest trick I learned that improved my edibles is to try and cook as much abv oil into as little food as possible. For example, my last batch yielded 9 strong doses. I used 1/3 of a box of betty crocker brownie mix. I feel like if I had used the whole box and yielded the same 9 doses, but with much larger brownies, it wouldn't hit me as nicely. Anyone else have opinions on this?

Try it, let me know how ya like it.

B.

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Thanks so much for sharing this. There are some of us here who are really into the edibles and are always looking for new tips. I have never cooked with coconut oil and it sounds like a nice alternative. I've used the double boiler method with butter and know it works well.

momofthegoons,

B.

War Criminal
I actually have a thread on FC about the capsules, but I linked a different guide. Capsules rule.

B.,

MichMartin

Saturated fat is not bad. They did the same thing with fat that they did with mj.

MichMartin,

g124v17y

Hmm... seems like we need some info about coconut oil! ;) lets see what i can do off the top of my head. Most oils and butter and lards burn at low temperatures... like 150-250 degrees F. Now in order to properly extract the chemicals from fresh dried cannabis you need to heat the oil to about 350F, to make edibles as strong as if you would if you were vaporizing at the same temperature. This means that the oil or lard or whatever is burning before you put it into your food. :o (if you dont know why burnt food is bad for you (especially oil) look it up, should be common knowlege) anyways, dont be so surprised, this is what we love in america lol, burnt butter and oil tastes great! right... :( ? lol :uhoh:

Anyways, in comes coconut oil, burning temp: 350-400F excellent for cooking with! you DO NOT need to use a double boiler with coconut oil because it WILL NOT burn on medium heat... I have an electric stove and turn it to medium/high when i make my coconut oil extracts... I use the same coconut oil infusion (with cannabis) to make brownies, cookies, banana bread... all sorts of stuff! It comes out great, loses most of the coconut taste when masked with stronger flavors, and best of all it is NOT burnt oil!

P.S. I use a thermometer to ensure that the oil stays around 325F... Just to be safe ;] I let the bud sit in the oil for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. I take it off the heat, strain and im done!

g124v17y,

wthanna

g124v17y said:
Now in order to properly extract the chemicals from fresh dried cannabis you need to heat the oil to about 350F, to make edibles as strong as if you would if you were vaporizing at the same temperature.

This is incorrect. You can do a great extraction using coconut oil at much lower temperatures using a longer period of time. Crockpots/Slow Cookers work great for this, and you don't have to worry about those high temperatures burning up your active ingredients. ;)

wthanna,

g124v17y

well, it is not the same if you use a crockpot or slow cooker... from what i understand the chemicals on bud do not get released from the bud until they hit temp x, and for every chemical (hundreds on bud) the release point is different. THC beggining around 260F and other chemicals at higher temps... depending on the effects you are looking for, you would use a different temperature... i do not understand slow cookers or crock pots used to make food because length of time that the bud cooks for doesnt really matter as long as all of the active chemicals reach their appropriate release temps and the bud has enough surface area to be fully saturated... right? :uhoh: (i.e. for sleepy brownies, use higher temp for longer time, for tense high brownies, use lower temp for shorter time)

g124v17y,

hereatlast

I think its important to remember that Already Been Vaped bud has already be decarbed, Durden did some writing on that around here somewhere. In any case, it doesn't have to reach the same temp. AGAIN that you would normally need to bring it to if you were using fresh herb.

hereatlast,

wthanna

You do not need to reach the boiling point of the cannabinoids in order to "release" them. Lower temps and more time will do it... and you will not be destroying THC by reaching such high temperatures. Picture a pot of water on the stove (to simplify my point somewhat). You could boil the water and evaporate all of the water out of the pot in a relatively short period of time.. You could also simply heat the pot to 100 degrees F.. and in 24 hours or less the water will evaporate without being anywhere near the boiling point for water. (Even at room temperature the water will eventually evaporate)

People have proved this again and again with glycerin tinctures, alcohol tinctures, etc.. made at room temperature over a long period of time. Ask anyone who has had the patience, and they will tell you these are the strongest tinctures they have ever made or tried.

This is a very easy experiment to try... Simply make two batches, one at your high temp, and another at lower temps and a longer time period.

"This is not my first rodeo" ;) :peace:

wthanna,

g124v17y

this is my third time REWRITING this because FC keeps logging me out!

Anyway, I was not talking about AVB anywhere in my post. Sorry for the confusion, but the post was to share the health benefits of coconut oil, not specifically about how to cook AVB with it. I'm tired of writing the same thing again so I'll paraphrase lol. THC doesnt boil until 392F according to chemical analysis spec sheets. As long as you keep the temp under this, you ARE essentially just heating the THC slightly, so that it doesnt get "destroyed". anything above 392F is that high temp range you are talking about where THC begins to get "destroyed". I put "destroyed" in quotes because i dont really know what you mean by it, since chemicals can only change form on this planet, they cannot be "destroyed". AVB is already decarboxylized and has very little psychoactive chemicals on it so yes, a lower temp is ideal. I use coconut oil at about 125F for this, (the lowest my stove goes). I have used a double boiler, have used a crock pot, and i have used the standard pot on electric stove method. I have not noticed a difference in the effects, when the method of making the oil infusion was altered. What temperature, and for what duration you let the fresh bud or AVB sit in the oil for is completely up to the persons desired effects of their edibles, and should be expirimented with for maximum benefit. And unlike water, THC DOES NOT evaoprate at room temperature... THC eventually decomposes from contact with oxygen, but the state that it is in (solid) does not change without adding a slight amount of heat.

In chemical extracts and tinctures it is a whole different story because the THC is immediatley chemically reactive to the solution at ANY temperature, so the duration of time you let the material sit in there for is how you determine what chemicals and in what concentration they are present in your final tincture.

Let me know if this makes sense, or if i'm wrong about something ive been led to believe is fact... :D :peace:

g124v17y,

wthanna

g124v17y said:
this is my third time REWRITING this because FC keeps logging me out!

In chemical extracts and tinctures it is a whole different story because the THC is immediatley chemically reactive to the solution at ANY temperature, so the duration of time you let the material sit in there for is how you determine what chemicals and in what concentration they are present in your final tincture.

Let me know if this makes sense, or if i'm wrong about something ive been led to believe is fact... :D :peace:

Cannabinoids are "fat soluble". My main point is that the addition of heat will change the ratio of cannabinoids in your final product. THC-A will be converted to THC.. THC will then be converted to CBD... at INCREASING rates as heat is added. Also, destroyed was not the correct term, but some will be "vaporized" and then no longer in your oil at these higher temps.. even if the boiling point is never reached for these cannabinoids, much like the water on the stove example posted.

wthanna,

g124v17y

Ah, so in fact, the increased temperature increases to what degree the THC is being transformed into other chemicals that do other things. So, am i correct in assuming that cooking at a high-er temp (still under boiling) for less time is the same as cooking at a low temp for a longer period of time?

;):peace:

g124v17y,
Top Bottom