Contaminants: vaping carpet fiber/dust etc.

steven22

Alright...

my house is mostly covered in carpet. especially my room where i do most of my vaping.

I cant seem to avoid mixing atleast a strand or 2 in with my bowl... my mouth peices of my whip and bags have dust or carpet fiber stuck to the glass on the inside, I can only imagine that the whole whip and bag will get contaminated as well.

and I leave my weed on my desk ground up... eventually the dust on the room will fall down, sometimes resulting in a strand here or there. I do try my best to pick it out though.

anyways, going through the vape at those temps, how harmful is it to the body?... .I know that all of us inhale dust and fibers when we take a normal breath and isnt harming us much, but what about when it goes through the temps of the vape and then you inhale it?

steven22,

sLug215

I don't have any reasoning behind this other than just common sense, but I would tend think it would not be a smart thing to do. You don't have any idea what is in the carpet as far as cleaning solutions, or stain treatment. It would be a much better idea to go spend a few dollars, purchase a glass mason jar to store your green, and maybe wrap your tube and glass up and put it in a big freezer bag. Now I would think most people, including myself have probably dropped the wand on the ground and it landed on the carpet but put it back in and keep vaping, no biggie... but the extent your talking sounds like some caution is worth it.

sLug215,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
one word ... Roomba. i run mine at least once per day on the carpets and to pick up cat hair from 3 cats.

Hippie Dickie,

Beezleb

I recommend looking into using a bong or any type of water filter with your vape.

Beezleb,

steven22

sLug215 said:
I don't have any reasoning behind this other than just common sense, but I would tend think it would not be a smart thing to do. You don't have any idea what is in the carpet as far as cleaning solutions, or stain treatment. It would be a much better idea to go spend a few dollars, purchase a glass mason jar to store your green, and maybe wrap your tube and glass up and put it in a big freezer bag. Now I would think most people, including myself have probably dropped the wand on the ground and it landed on the carpet but put it back in and keep vaping, no biggie... but the extent your talking sounds like some caution is worth it.
maybe im just exaggerating... but yea Im not doing anything much different from the next vaper with a carpeted room. I occasionally drop the wand on the carpet and keep vaping.... and my Extreme has a fan... Im guessing the fan draws air in the room, which will some small amounts of dust.

after one month of using the unit without cleaning the glass, I noticed couple of fibers here and there on the insides of mouth peices of the whip and bags. So I assumed that there are other fibers that I cant see hiding elsewhere.

---

Im gonna take more caution with my vaping methods. couple steps I hope will decrease my dust intake

If you guys wanna add to it, feel free.

1) stop using my bare desk as a loading ground for my buds. my desk is probably the main location of dust and fiber , as after 2-3 days, a small layer of dust forms on it, and then I wipe it clean.

2) invest in some sort of box to keep my ground herb in ( I already use mason jars, but once I grind up the small amount I need for the day or 2, they stay on my desk)

3) Store my whip and balloon in some sort of easy to use bag... I usually just leave it on my desk or bed or somewhere around my room after use...

4) water filter vapor, but I only like this when Im whipping, hate connecting the balloons to the bong. and I am more of a bag person than whip.

steven22,

lwien

steven22 said:
2) invest in some sort of box to keep my ground herb in ( I already use mason jars, but once I grind up the small amount I need for the day or 2, they stay on my desk)
How 'bout this. Stores a gram of ground bud and is totally airtight and light tight. I have a few. They work great. Storing bud in airtight and light tight containers that are no larger than the amount you want to store is really a good idea just because it has less area for air to occupy.

http://www.puffitup.com/Small-Air-Tight-Stash-Container-p/spacecasesmallstash.htm

lwien,

steven22

lwien said:
steven22 said:
How 'bout this. Stores a gram of ground bud and is totally airtight and light tight. I have a few. They work great. Storing bud in airtight and light tight containers that are no larger than the amount you want to store is really a good idea just because it has less area for air to occupy.

http://www.puffitup.com/Small-Air-Tight-Stash-Container-p/spacecasesmallstash.htm
That is pretty nice, but I already have a container like that... an aluminum pill dispenser that you get for free when buying a chromium crusher grinder.

they will do the job quite well... and I use it for portability factor, as its nice and small and doesnt crush the weed like a ziploc would.

but, Im looking for something that might be wooden?... a more permanent solution for my desk that looks nice too.... stealth isnt an issue.

I was interested in wicca boxes... as it had a keif sifter built in.

steven22,

stinkmeaner

Do you realize how many toxins that you unknowingly inhale or eat on a daily basis? Have you any idea the number of germs that can be on your hands after touching a gas pump. What you are describing will pose no great risk to your health, that is just common sense.

No offense but threads like this not only make this whole community look stupid but also make marijuana out to be a contributing factor to the intellectual decline of America and beyond. It is perfectly fine to ask questions but when you ask the questions like this one, then it is only fair to criticize your use of marijuana in the first place. I only say this because I am sure others think the same but no one else will speak up.

stinkmeaner,

lwien

Ya know, stink, what I do find interesting is all the concerns regarding health issues like what's stated here as well as all the discussions regarding the health of various materials used in our vapes, but there's very little talk, and seems to be, very little concern regarding what kind of possible toxic substances that may be in our bud in the first place in the form of pesticides, mold small enough that it can't be detected with the naked eye, or bud that has been improperly flushed and may contain chemicals that we really don't want entering our bodies.

lwien,

GreenLeaf

Store your herb in something even if it's just a plastic film canister, glass Mason jar, or a small box with a lid.

GreenLeaf,

stinkmeaner

Good point lwien, and maybe the fact that marijuana may not be perfectly healthy for you in the first place. These people have such paranoia about vaporizing but I cannot believe they are not concerned more with the foods or fast food they eat, the chemicals/cleaners/hygiene products they use, alcohol they drink. I refuse to belive that vaporizing out of a decent vaporizer from a reputable company is near as dangerous as the hazards I previously mentioned. Unless these people are forest-dwelling-hippy-hermits in the middle of nowhere away from civilization and the pollution it causes, I would think it is safe to say they have more things to worry about than a strand of carpet fiber in their marijuana.

stinkmeaner,

lwien

But it is all cumulative, Stink. A little bit here, a little bit there. It all adds up, but I think what's happening here is that for many of us, we have turned to vaping for health reasons, that is, we don't want to be breathing in the toxins that are in smoke, so with that mindset in place, the last thing we want is any toxins coming from our vapes which we were trying to get away from when we bought them in the first place. But I do wonder if these same people put as much thought into the bud that they are purchasing.

lwien,

stinkmeaner

I have always wanted to buy one of those USB microscopes on the Aqualabtechnologies website, I wonder if any are powerfull enough to see the possible mold you are referring to lwien.

stinkmeaner,

lwien

stinkmeaner said:
I have always wanted to buy one of those USB microscopes on the Aqualabtechnologies website, I wonder if any are powerfull enough to see the possible mold you are referring to lwien.
Don't know. I know my despensariy tests for pesticides, chemicals and molds and that when this new ordinance goes into affect in LA, it will require that all dispensaries do this kind of testing, which is a good thing.

But yeah, your bud can have mold and you wouldn't even know it. How unhealthy would it be to vape it anyway? It'll probably be ok unless one has a compromised immune system, but being that these "meds" are supposed to be used for medical purposes, and that many who use MMJ do have compromised immune systems, this kind of testing becomes mandatory.

So.......my question to the OP is, being that you are concerned about contaminating your bud in your household environment, have you given any thought to how much it could be contaminated before you ever got it.

lwien,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
But most (if not all) of this could be remedied with water curing your bud. Ive been reading more and more on this and Im going to give this a whirl sometime soon. Even moldy buds and or brick schwag can be saved/remedied with watercuring. I may start a discussion on this sometime after I play with it a bit more.

AGBeer,

Beezleb

I wouldnt want it in what I vape. Not because I think its harmful but because its disgusting.

I would not say its appropriate to chide the question but offering that point of view is valid but only from a certain point of view or perspective.

I know people who grow professionally in CA and it is very hard for them to make any money due to the fact that their is so much available it enables the dispensaries to be very selective. Which equates to the highest quality product being available.

In order to grow the highest quality product many of these issues discussed are not really applicable due to the experience, the grow environments (which can vary greatly but to create the selective best you need to be dialed in to proper conditions and typically the grower is very experienced). If you are buying from a dispensary I would find it hard to accept that their is problem with pesticides, mold and the like. While I am sure it happens I believe wholly it is more rare than common.

I also do not understand about people not seeing mold. If your bud has mold/Powdery Mildew on it, you will know it. I think for the most part if someone takes a scope to a bud and says they see mold and their is no other reason to suspect mold I believe they are misinterpreting what they are seeing unless I see it myself.

Typically mold happens from improper storage and powdery mildew is generally from improper grow environments, most likely caused due to high humidity and not enough air flow. When possible, go for indoor grown over outdoor bud but I know people who would argue that point. Pesticides are generally used only when needed and largely only during certain times during the plants growth. If pesticides are on the buds its typically very noticeable in the smoke/vape. It is also not uncommon for people to think a bud has pesticides if its overly harsh. While that could be a reason I would suspect improper drying/curing first, if its not due to the particular strain.

Anyways my point being, one cannot genuinely grow dispensary bud if not done properly, experienced people will know.

I should add though, the pesticide avid used to treat mites is very bad and I do not know if that is easily detected in the smoke but I would imagine it does.

Beezleb,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I agree, but at the same time I dont let it consume me and stress over my stash. Sure I get a cat hair or two every now and then. If I catch it I remove it. But if I catch it after the fact its not too big of a deal.

AGBeer,

lwien

Ya know what's disgusting. What's disgusting is what house dust is primarily composed of: dead skin cells and dried feces and dessicated corpses of dust mites as well as fungus, human hair along with any kind of hair your shoes picked up while walking around outside (and for sure, all that hair is not yours), etc etc etc. It's enough to drive you into a bubble if you dwell on it too long. :uhoh:

But as long as our parents didn't keep things too clean, thereby allowing our natural defenses to get strong, than we shouldn't have too much to worry about in our day to day living conditions. Our immune system is kind of like a muscle, in that it needs to be worked in order to get strong.

lwien,

aero18

vaporist
stinkmeaner said:
Do you realize how many toxins that you unknowingly inhale or eat on a daily basis? Have you any idea the number of germs that can be on your hands after touching a gas pump. What you are describing will pose no great risk to your health, that is just common sense.

No offense but threads like this not only make this whole community look stupid but also make marijuana out to be a contributing factor to the intellectual decline of America and beyond. It is perfectly fine to ask questions but when you ask the questions like this one, then it is only fair to criticize your use of marijuana in the first place. I only say this because I am sure others think the same but no one else will speak up.
It would be better to educate him than tell him that he makes "this whole community look stupid." He asked an honest question because he did not know. Showing him why he should not be bothered by it shows that this community is not stupid, so please refrain from using such hurtful messages. :peace:

I would much rather like the cannabis community to be known for its kindness and generosity.

aero18,

chucku

Charles Urbane
lwien said:
Ya know what's disgusting. What's disgusting is what house dust is primarily composed of: dead skin cells and dried feces and dessicated corpses of dust mites as well as fungus, human hair along with any kind of hair your shoes picked up while walking around outside (and for sure, all that hair is not yours), etc etc etc. It's enough to drive you into a bubble if you dwell on it too long. :uhoh:

But as long as our parents didn't keep things too clean, thereby not allowing our natural defenses to get strong, than we shouldn't have too much to worry about in our day to day living conditions. Our immune system is kind of like a muscle, in that it needs to be worked in order to get strong.
What does not kill you makes you stronger.

chucku,

steven22

Stinkmeaner , Im not worrying myself or stressing myself over this common sense issue. I was just curious because I keep seeing fibers on my vaping equipment and was curious/concerned if this would be harming me... that was all.

I mean, iv been vaping for a year now... I havnt dropped dead yet.

------------

and though its off topic, the herb is home grown.

steven22,
Top Bottom