• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Concerns with my BHO tek

debaserrrrr

I starting making concentrates within the last few months (qwiso to start) to great results. After more experience I ended up preferring tane as a solvent.

My first few runs have been somewhat successful.

First run: 16.6g of Jet Fuel in SSTB

After all of my research, it seemed like packing too tight was impossible. I was wrong... I had a ton of tane leak out the top as I sprayed. I went ahead and used the majority of my vector can because of all the leaking (my hand started to get a tad cold). My yield looked OK, I would guess 2-3g. Right now I have it winterizing in PGA, it's been there almost 24h and I plan on giving it another day.

2nd run: 9.9g of 2nd run Jet Fuel

I tried again today with a much looser pack (still firm, I made sure I could blow some air through it). When I sprayed really slow I got it to a point where it wasn't leaking much, but no tane would come out the bottom when I did that (maybe evapped in tube?). I still had a good amount leak out the top, but it was reduced. I figured I didn't get a good spray on the first run because the mix looked super kiefy after, but apparently that's just how ran BHO buds look (makes me wanna QWISO all my ran buds for edibles). This was confirmed when I saw how little my 2nd run yielded. I will probably end up just drinking my everclear solution of this stuff in one dose. It's probably like .15-.3g.

My setup: injector tip removed, plastic butane adapter pushed in (fits pretty snug), spray into tip. How can I shore up this seal? I'm looking for zero leakage. I'm using a 400 mesh SS screen as a filter (which seems to work great).

I bet this issue is causing more tane loss than wasted oil, but it certainly can't help (plus vector is expensive).

PS: Did a ton of searching for this specific issue; couldn't find it.

debaserrrrr,

z9

Vector butane comes with about 6 different sized plastic adapters, one of those will surely make a tight seal

z9,

debaserrrrr

The one I used was as good as it gets, but someone on another forum has recommended plumbers tape, I hope it works.

debaserrrrr,

debaserrrrr

Aren't they the same thing? When I was looking for my materials a google search for nylon tape yielded plumbers tape in the results.

debaserrrrr,

z9

Hah yeah it is :doh:
I use it for other things, so I really don't think of it as being "plumbers" tape... Yeah try that.

There's just so many variables that affect the airflow in the tube on a particular run. Try the mason jar method, it seems to be easier and provides a good yield.

z9,

debaserrrrr

But but I like blasting. If I can't get a good seal on the baster I will get a new extractor. I can't wait until I try my first batch. It's got way more bag appeal than qwiso (mostly smell). I love watching it purge during the water bath and how it stinks up the outside of my house.

debaserrrrr,

debaserrrrr

Is it true that the alcohol evaporation process will also remove residual butane? Like if I sprayed, water bath for like 20m or so to get it mostly purged, then winterized.

If this is true, and I plan on making only winterized shatter, is there any purpose to me having a vacuum pump other than speeding things up?

Have you ever used a SS mesh for filtering winterized BHO tincture? I have used a coffee filter in the past, but had to squeeze pretty much all of the liquid through because of the temps. I feel like it would fall right through and be lovely if I just funneled it down a clean SSTB extractor.

debaserrrrr,
Reactions: darkrom

farscaper

Man, the ol' sstb leak issue... And boy is it a bitch til u find the best solution for u.

I found that pulling the baster needle out of its threaded housing was step 1

Then if you take one of the white omicron silicon cart plugs and thread the sstb tip that u pulled the needle off onto it, then screw that on ur sstb zero leaks! I use no adapter as it is not required and this will work for 99% of sstb as most all are exactly the same.

hope this helps.

farscaper,

Fulvic

You could spray your butane directly into hot ethanol. The butane will boil itself off, leaving hash oil dissolved in the ethanol. This method keeps the extract solution from becoming viscous to prevent trapped butane.

I would invest in a vacuum pump/chamber setup if you're planning on making a lot of absolute, otherwise it's a luxury. If you can afford it, why not? Some people are concerned with the extreme pressure affecting psychoactive terpenes. Realistically, one brief exposure to full vacuum will only affect aromatic terpene molecules. I vacuum purge mostly because I need to; extracts have pretty much taken over my operation since last year.

I'm also neurotic and the bubbles put my mind at ease! :tinfoil: :p

Fulvic,

debaserrrrr

I got bored waiting for all this alcohol to evap so I took some crappy pics. Don't trust the long range shots, there are bubbles that look like dirt.

My first BHO run (16.6g Jet Fuel), winterized with everclear:

http://imgur.com/a/Y0WCY

Can you find the test dab I took out?

debaserrrrr,
Top Bottom