Concentrate vaporization devices

Vape Donkey 650

All vape, no smoke please.
Herbi, you're clearly a very smart, thoughtful guy. I'm sorry to presume condescention on your part, but you seemed to be putting me at a pretty low general knowledge level.

I'm clearly behind a few years on the e-nail / dabbing trends, because that type of gear really wasn't working for me, so I went the 510 / TC / ceramic route, and things have changed. I was presuming you were a few years behind the curve on box-mod/pen vapes, but maybe my view was misplaced.

I would like to try a SiC / Sapphire banger, maybe I would like it if I could vape it well at the lowest possible temps. The cost, lack of portability, my existing donuts that satisfy me, and the requirement for an (unsafe, IMO) e-nail deter me from wanting to buy one, but I would sure give it a try if given an opportunity.

Like I said, taste and harshness are subjective things. We seem to be extreme opposites, with you always failing to be satisfied with "pens" and me having difficulty taking big hot rips from e-nails. We have different styles and requirements.

But I think something must be said that many people here are quite happy and satisfied with the DT or ceramic attys, and think they can taste pretty damn good, wether or not they like e-nail dabbing or not. :shrug: And most other people don't have a problem keeping their donut attys clean, even thought I must concede it seems easier to swab your sapphire banger or puffco+

I don't think we're going to convince each other, but I do want to put this info out there for @sticky555 to be able to decide, because I think you were being overly harsh on the 510 mods, while many people love them.

(why does it take you several minutes to burn clean your puffco? something is wrong there. takes me about 30-40 seconds of VW @ 10w to burn clean my medium donuts to pearly-white. an 18650 mod can burn a donut clean plenty of times on 1 charge)

Last edited:
Vape Donkey 650,

herbivore21

Herbi, you're clearly a very smart, thoughtful guy. I'm sorry to presume condescention on your part, but you seemed to be putting me at a pretty low knowledge level.

I'm clearly behind a few years on the e-nail / dabbing trends, because that type of gear really wasn't working for me, so I went the 510 / TC / ceramic route, and things have changed. I was presuming you were a few years behind the curve on box-mod/pen vapes, but maybe my view was misplaced.
Thanks for the kind words man, no harm and no foul on the misunderstanding :)

I was simply suggesting that you do not understand e-nail temps man. That was true obviously. That's nothing for me to hold against you, I was just saying this was the case. No hard feeling at all though and this does not mean that you do not have vast knowledge about all kinds of other topics :)

I'm never surprised by the incredible things I learn in even the most unlikely places, let alone in a place like this where I've met many very gifted thinkers (who leave the usual stoners I meet in the intellectual dust - now there is a tortured metaphor! lol)!

You are right, the case is simply that you had thought I was behind on pens. Not all that long ago (well I suppose that is relative), this was true, it was not the case when you made your posts in this thread. This is clearly part of the misunderstanding and no problem now that we've cleared the air :)

I would like to try a SiC / Sapphire banger, maybe I would like it if I could vape it well at the lowest possible temps.
You definitely should try these products, they will let you vape at the lowest possible temps and get the smoothest, coolest vapor possible (yes, smoother and cooler on the throat even than my puffco+, which IME is the best all ceramic pen I've seen).

The cost, lack of portability, my existing donuts that satisfy me, and the requirement for an (unsafe, IMO) e-nail deter me from wanting to buy one, but I would sure give it a try if given an opportunity.
The safety concerns are something that I held myself at first, I ditched the sublimator for this reason, but find that e-nails are much more stable and hence safe to use, also put less heat onto the glass and into the room. I would only say that an e-nail should be kept away from children and pets. I would keep all of my vape stuff away from both for child/animal protection reasons anyway as well as to keep my vape equipment hygienic :lol: I am trying to use this cannabis medically after all :)

I have difficulties with motor skills due to my health conditions sometimes and can be beyond clumsy. Despite this, I've never had an accident with an e-nail as a result.
Like I said, taste and harshness are subjective things. We seem to be extreme opposites, with you always failing to be satisfied with "pens" and me having difficulty taking big hot rips from e-nails. We have different styles and requirements.
Actually we both have the same need, I can't do hot hurty rips and my lungs have gotten less tolerant even of vapor for harshness as I get older. I find SiC and Sapphire e-nails smoother and cooler by a long shot than all ceramic pens and this is another reason why I use them.

Pens are very cheap of course as you say, and like I said, I still use them for reclaim because the taste issues are no problem there anyway :) This is very useful for me medically in certain situations and so they still have their place for me all the same :peace:

TeeJay1952

I read this and it makes me long for full legalization. It is obvious that there a different experience available and to be able to walk into an establishment and be guided by any of you experts would be wonderful indeed.There is knowledge out there waiting for the touch of the master's hand to bring it to life.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
It's good to share these different perspectives. For me, I'm a big fan of these pens AND e nails. I think everything has its respectable set of pros and cons, and it's safe to say no matter what decision we make, there will be some sort of trade off.

I'm so impressed with the portability of my v3, it really is amazing in that aspect, the ability to discretely medicate anywhere. It looks just like an ecig. I throw it in my pocket when I'm walking the dog. The other day I was fishing on a tiny boat on a small lake with 3 others, and it was awesome to be able to dose so quietly and unassumingly.

For me, I only really get one flavor pull from it though, and the rest I find pretty neutral like @Vape Donkey 650 mentions. Not tasty, but not weird like the popcorn taste of vaping flower. My combusting friends always complain about the popcorn thing, but have never mentioned the "plain" taste of pen hits after the flavor pull, so I think for many it is fairly neutral, but I don't doubt some may have more sensitive tastes, or different tastes. For me, I feel like I can taste metal atomizers; but some say they can taste ceramic - I guess it's all subjective. Coils get too gunked up for me though, not interested in any coil based atomizers. People on Reddit love the Saionara but I don't get the hype. They say it hits hard as a rig, but no pen does in my experience. As big of a cloud as a rig, sure, but the same effect... no way. Coil atomizers are pretty outdated IMO. They just came out with a donut for the Sai, however I don't see any reason to try it over what I already have. I'm looking for a crucible cup, and why not make it SiC while we're at it? What do you think @herbivore21 about the possibilities/capabilities of SiC in an atomizer? Or what about a SiC concentrate dish for the Vapcap?

The v3 heats fast, but the biggest problem is how the oil runs off the donut, if the concentrate would stay on top of the dabbing surface the taste should improve. I have gotten some really tasty pulls off this donut atomizer, I think it has a lot of potential with more refinement. I still need a SiC Halo for home. I think there is a huge demand for a discreet product like a pen, that works like a nail, due to home circumstances where it's easy to see why some would want such a low key solution. Still tons of room for improvement in this industry. The new e-nails and controllers and rigs are a lot smaller than they used to be. One could have a rig set up pretty discrete now. I cook while medicated and haven't burnt the house down so I'm not really worried about an e nail. I think they are pretty safe, a lot safer than a torched nail; but I could understand why someone wouldn't want all that gear around. Even my Volcano involves too much of a "vape station" than I want right now so it's stuffed in the closet. I can keep my pen in my nightstand with a little slab and a dab tool and keep my medication very private if I wanted. I think that makes pens very desirable to many consumers. Personally they go through wax faster than a nail, to me the effect is different (not as full)
I know many with no portables who just dab before going somewhere also and that works for them too. I prefer to medicate when I arrive somewhere rather than dabbing before I leave the house, so I enjoy having a portable option.

The future of concentrates is surely promising!
I'm praying for SiC dishes and cheap solvent-less medicine!

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
I find it thouroughly invigorating that this type of conversation can go on in a very civil and respectful manner. I do, in fact, read these long posts and find them very informative. My current situation doesn't allow for an enail, which I must admit sounds very attractive based on what I've read from @herbivore21. Until I'm able to explore the enail universe - I'm very grateful for all the information posted by folks about my current favorite device which is the v3 atop the evic vtwo mini.

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
Thanks for the kind words man, no harm and no foul on the misunderstanding :)

I was simply suggesting that you do not understand e-nail temps man. That was true obviously. That's nothing for me to hold against you, I was just saying this was the case. No hard feeling at all though and this does not mean that you do not have vast knowledge about all kinds of other topics :)

I'm never surprised by the incredible things I learn in even the most unlikely places, let alone in a place like this where I've met many very gifted thinkers (who leave the usual stoners I meet in the intellectual dust - now there is a tortured metaphor! lol)!

You are right, the case is simply that you had thought I was behind on pens. Not all that long ago (well I suppose that is relative), this was true, it was not the case when you made your posts in this thread. This is clearly part of the misunderstanding and no problem now that we've cleared the air :)

You definitely should try these products, they will let you vape at the lowest possible temps and get the smoothest, coolest vapor possible (yes, smoother and cooler on the throat even than my puffco+, which IME is the best all ceramic pen I've seen).

The safety concerns are something that I held myself at first, I ditched the sublimator for this reason, but find that e-nails are much more stable and hence safe to use, also put less heat onto the glass and into the room. I would only say that an e-nail should be kept away from children and pets. I would keep all of my vape stuff away from both for child/animal protection reasons anyway as well as to keep my vape equipment hygienic :lol: I am trying to use this cannabis medically after all :)

I have difficulties with motor skills due to my health conditions sometimes and can be beyond clumsy. Despite this, I've never had an accident with an e-nail as a result.

Actually we both have the same need, I can't do hot hurty rips and my lungs have gotten less tolerant even of vapor for harshness as I get older. I find SiC and Sapphire e-nails smoother and cooler by a long shot than all ceramic pens and this is another reason why I use them.

Pens are very cheap of course as you say, and like I said, I still use them for reclaim because the taste issues are no problem there anyway :) This is very useful for me medically in certain situations and so they still have their place for me all the same :peace:

She-it, now _I_ wanna try one :)

what are quality desktop rigs going for?

herbivore21

She-it, now _I_ wanna try one :)

what are quality desktop rigs going for?
SiC halo can be had for $180 (that includes carb cap, base, SiC dish, the renowned d-nail forked dabber - all of the 'nail parts'). The heater coil and controllers vary very widely depending on the brand. You could get into a cheaper enail controller with a flat coil that'll work with a SiC halo for an extra $100 or so.

You can of course use the bubbler of your choice :)

It's good to share these different perspectives. For me, I'm a big fan of these pens AND e nails. I think everything has its respectable set of pros and cons, and it's safe to say no matter what decision we make, there will be some sort of trade off.

I'm so impressed with the portability of my v3, it really is amazing in that aspect, the ability to discretely medicate anywhere. It looks just like an ecig. I throw it in my pocket when I'm walking the dog. The other day I was fishing on a tiny boat on a small lake with 3 others, and it was awesome to be able to dose so quietly and unassumingly.

For me, I only really get one flavor pull from it though, and the rest I find pretty neutral like @Vape Donkey 650 mentions. Not tasty, but not weird like the popcorn taste of vaping flower. My combusting friends always complain about the popcorn thing, but have never mentioned the "plain" taste of pen hits after the flavor pull, so I think for many it is fairly neutral, but I don't doubt some may have more sensitive tastes, or different tastes. For me, I feel like I can taste metal atomizers; but some say they can taste ceramic - I guess it's all subjective. Coils get too gunked up for me though, not interested in any coil based atomizers. People on Reddit love the Saionara but I don't get the hype. They say it hits hard as a rig, but no pen does in my experience. As big of a cloud as a rig, sure, but the same effect... no way. Coil atomizers are pretty outdated IMO. They just came out with a donut for the Sai, however I don't see any reason to try it over what I already have. I'm looking for a crucible cup, and why not make it SiC while we're at it? What do you think @herbivore21 about the possibilities/capabilities of SiC in an atomizer? Or what about a SiC concentrate dish for the Vapcap?

The v3 heats fast, but the biggest problem is how the oil runs off the donut, if the concentrate would stay on top of the dabbing surface the taste should improve. I have gotten some really tasty pulls off this donut atomizer, I think it has a lot of potential with more refinement. I still need a SiC Halo for home. I think there is a huge demand for a discreet product like a pen, that works like a nail, due to home circumstances where it's easy to see why some would want such a low key solution. Still tons of room for improvement in this industry. The new e-nails and controllers and rigs are a lot smaller than they used to be. One could have a rig set up pretty discrete now. I cook while medicated and haven't burnt the house down so I'm not really worried about an e nail. I think they are pretty safe, a lot safer than a torched nail; but I could understand why someone wouldn't want all that gear around. Even my Volcano involves too much of a "vape station" than I want right now so it's stuffed in the closet. I can keep my pen in my nightstand with a little slab and a dab tool and keep my medication very private if I wanted. I think that makes pens very desirable to many consumers. Personally they go through wax faster than a nail, to me the effect is different (not as full)
I know many with no portables who just dab before going somewhere also and that works for them too. I prefer to medicate when I arrive somewhere rather than dabbing before I leave the house, so I enjoy having a portable option.

The future of concentrates is surely promising!
I'm praying for SiC dishes and cheap solvent-less medicine!

Oh shit, don't have time to respond to this one right now, but let me get back to you on this one in the next day or two. Please tag me here if I have forgotten after a few days :peace:

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I did see your experiment installing the ceramic crucible into the DT V3 rebuildable base, that looked pretty cool (although it looked like it was caked in "pizza grease" when you installed it :p not good for taste)

20170218_094553.jpg

All you did was drop that on us, tell Matt to hurry up and make a crucible cup insert for the V3 (chop chop!) and then didn't offer any further updates :shrug: If you like the puffco for the flat bottom, easy to maintain cup, I'm wondering why you didn't like the source terra crucible in the V3. I would think it would vape similar to the puffco, and allow you to clean it more thoroughly and easily? :huh:
Like I have told you previously, I am rather busy person so my chances to post can be limited to sparatic moments of free time. I did reach out to Matt at DT via text to show him my DIY modifications and let him know I would be willing to discuss design aspects with him if he ever wanted to.

As far as my DIY modification, that crucible is stained black, however it soaked for a week in ISO prior to that picture so it is clean and did not impart any burnt flavor at all. It worked pretty well, however it was still a DIY modification that did not seem as complete and well put together as the Puffco Plus. It was a little wonky for me I guess. I still have it and may play with it again sometime. The dart I added to the mouthpiece is not as sturdy and barely reaches past the bottom of the mouthpiece making it almost useless. The cup has too much clearance around it allowing for way too much air flow so hits would require more concentrate and still be kind of wispy. I also found myself more concerned about leaving the atty loaded as the cup is not sealed at all on the top in the DIY modded version. Taste was pretty well on par though.

@invertedisdead I think a SIC crucible in an atomizer would be awesome! I searched and searched for crucibles when trying to come up with a DIY option for the DT V3 cup. I purchased a couple ceramic ones but after weeks of searching I gave up on the SIC crucible. I did find some that were SIC or graphite perhaps but they were way too large. Like coffe cup large if I recall correctly. I am going to go and take an honarary dab and dedicate it to the future of SIC!

Bass Vaper

I'm new to concentrates. Digging it. I purchased an Aurora (Dr. Dabber) and it's fine so far. I do experience some less than desirable flavor at times, but for my first go at it, no huge gripes. Was only $71, free shipping. Not too bad. I like the magnets and I like having the 3 different atomizers.

I am very interested in the Puffco + now, though. I wish I'd have found this thread two weeks ago. Ha.

Bass Vaper,
Top Bottom