Concentrate Coolers - Keeping things stable

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Has anyone ever used a cooler to keep their concentrates stable? I have been thinking about this a lot lately since the warmer temperatures are coming back. I like to keep my material stable so it's easier to handle. Currently I just put everything in my trunk so the sun doesn't bare down too much heat on my car and cause the inside to heat up beyond the melting/softening point of some of the shatter that I get. This has worked so far, but in the summer this will become a problem. I have not used concentrates much until I started using them regularly this past August so I didn't have too much exposure to storing them on really hot days. I recall my temporary solution at the time was to place an envelope of shatter in my AC vent and turn the AC on high to freeze the slab. It worked, but only so great since the material was only chilled for seconds/moments rather than being stored at a low temperature.

Am I making too big of a deal out of this or is anyone with me? Does anyone have any solutions? I was looking into insulin cooler kits recently.

I found two really neat options that I must put more consideration into:
http://www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com/how-the-frio-insulin-cooling-case-works.html

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Insulin-Refrigerated-Quickly-refrigerator/dp/B00J64CW6G

herbivore21

Has anyone ever used a cooler to keep their concentrates stable? I have been thinking about this a lot lately since the warmer temperatures are coming back. I like to keep my material stable so it's easier to handle. Currently I just put everything in my trunk so the sun doesn't bare down too much heat on my car and cause the inside to heat up beyond the melting/softening point of some of the shatter that I get. This has worked so far, but in the summer this will become a problem. I have not used concentrates much until I started using them regularly this past August so I didn't have too much exposure to storing them on really hot days. I recall my temporary solution at the time was to place an envelope of shatter in my AC vent and turn the AC on high to freeze the slab. It worked, but only so great since the material was only chilled for seconds/moments rather than being stored at a low temperature.

Am I making too big of a deal out of this or is anyone with me? Does anyone have any solutions? I was looking into insulin cooler kits recently.

I found two really neat options that I must put more consideration into:
http://www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com/how-the-frio-insulin-cooling-case-works.html

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Insulin-Refrigerated-Quickly-refrigerator/dp/B00J64CW6G
This is a great find man!

I am very tempted to give one a try with a few tweaks for added humidity control. I wonder if there are slightly larger models to be found?

Man I have some ideas for this sucker for processing of concentrates as well as storage. :D

Please keep in mind that thermoelectric fridges like this cannot compete with hot climates very well. Still, it can't exactly hurt your meds in this event and for the price it is worth a shot ;)

You can always keep a cold pack on hand and store your meds on the new oil slick slick wrap, it is impervious to any condensation build up and this is obviously a very cheap solution. Still, I give you great kudos either way for sharing this!

Doktor Dub

@nosmoking Nice find, thanks for pointing me in the direction of these insulin Thingies...

This would not only be nice for the Car but also as an at home solution. I bet for the Car it offers some great stealth possibilities if you look up how it is used for insulin and how this is packaged, who would ever like to mess around with your meds.
If you have quality Extracts, proper storage is well worth it in my Opinion, plus it makes handling a lot nicer and is a good place for (Milaana)Batteries in the Summer.

I remember summer beeing pretty hot in DC :rockon:, hope to get there again next Year. Have a nice Day!

Doktor Dub,

toros23

Hey guys, just want to make sure everyone understands that many of these insulin coolers will only run continuously for a set amount of hours (8?). Most do not support passthrough and will only run on the rechargeable battery. Also don't forget that these are thermoelectric and may not work well in some extreme environments. The storage compartment is also very tiny.

Unfortunately, not any great non-thermoelectric options out there for my needs, but the smallest one I could find with a compressor is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0136TQ65Y

I think thermoelectric would work for me but haven't found that perfect size/function yet. They also make coolers for makeup, but I haven't spent much time researching those. Actually, the one Dangus linked above is the one I almost settled on after ruling out the insulin coolers, but I never pulled the trigger..

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I used to use a wine fridge to keep concentrates more stable.

I do not subscribe to this practice anymore. I found it to be actually harder to handle than when in a less stable state. I found myself wasting, because I could not break a piece off without accidentally shattering and breaking all my material into millions of little unrecoverable fragments that would scatter everywhere. If using a cooler, I recommend heating your dab tool before trying to break a piece off and you will not face the same issue.

Otherwise I just keep everything stored airtight and out of light.

throwawaytre3s

I do not subscribe to this practice anymore. I found it to be actually harder to handle than when in a less stable state. I found myself wasting, because I could not break a piece off without accidentally shattering and breaking all my material into millions of little unrecoverable fragments that would scatter everywhere. If using a cooler, I recommend heating your dab tool before trying to break a piece off and you will not face the same issue.

I think this is generally good advice. i've had some shatter that does that, just blow apart. It sucks, and I honestly think that the perfect consistency is like a taffy. Maybe slightly more stable. As far as storing at temperature goes, I think that for most people who aren't storing their products for longer than 6 months, it's pretty unnecessary.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Does anyone know of a cooler bag or cooling wallet or pocket cooler that would fit in a large pocket? I have been looking at this more seriously as of late and I want something that is small enough to pocket, however I prefer it to not only be insulated but to also have the cooling packs internal to the bag so I can just throw the hole thing in the freezer over night.

For the past 2-3 weeks I have been toting around a baby bottle cooler because it is the most compact cooler I have. It's big enough to fit 3 cans of soda in so it's much bigger than what I want. I have been looking at insulin coolers but most of them are 5x5x1.5 or 9x4x2 or something just slightly larger than pocketable.

I am up for suggestions so please let me know if you have any!

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Does anyone know of a cooler bag or cooling wallet or pocket cooler that would fit in a large pocket? I have been looking at this more seriously as of late and I want something that is small enough to pocket, however I prefer it to not only be insulated but to also have the cooling packs internal to the bag so I can just throw the hole thing in the freezer over night.

For the past 2-3 weeks I have been toting around a baby bottle cooler because it is the most compact cooler I have. It's big enough to fit 3 cans of soda in so it's much bigger than what I want. I have been looking at insulin coolers but most of them are 5x5x1.5 or 9x4x2 or something just slightly larger than pocketable.

Sounds like FC should make another prototype. Dab-tainers for day outings. I am thinking pocket sized with glycerine filled walls and insulated exterior to slow heat transfer. You could put it in the fridge at night and be good for the day!

miguelovic

A small thermos?

I use a Stanely Food Container at times.

But then I don't really travel with anything besides flower/hashes.

miguelovic,

Steven

The winning solution for me is the patron apollo dispenser. I know u don't like this idea but it has been working very well for me. I like it so much that I would definitely buy another one if I ever lose it. I have only loaded shatter in it and I have never dealt with wax in an easier way. I think you mentioned you don't want to lose any terpenes, but I haven't noticed any loss of flavor from the first dab to the last dab in the dispenser. The only degradation of the wax is that the last 4 bb sized loads will be butter. Mostly from exposure to heat and pressure from the press syringe. However, I actually like that the last bit butters up. It makes the removal of that wax very easy to load a new strain in the cartridge.
http://www.patrondispenser.com/shop/i_140_stainless-steel-dispenser-2ml

Before I got the apollo dispenser, I was considering a mini ice pack in a cooler. Before I got the apollo dispenser, the cooler would solve the containment issue, but I still wanted a more efficient way to portion out my dosages for a load. For me, the apollo dispenser solved both issues but I was looking into these back then. Not sure if it will work but looks promising. It's basically a plastic cup with built in ice pack. U can store wax in the cup and tools in the upper lid

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007P0YJWS/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IUJB16C9XN6HQ&colid=3LWM24N33P7YU

Steven

How stable is your shatter?
How do you load it without applying heat to melt it? I can't imagine how hard stable shatter will work through a syringe.
Believe me, this was a huge concern of mine before getting the patron dispenser. I pick up at minimum pull n snap shatter and find that these work best. I've loaded shatter that actually shatters and it works but not as seemless as the pull n snap. My stable shatter always loosens up a bit during day usage out and about, so it becomes perfect to use with the patron dispenser. Does you shatter remain stable in the car? That's what this topic is all about right? The petronum dispenser is not ideal for cold environments or home use. But when I'm about and about, the heat will loosen the wax perfect to use in this thing. Believe me or not, it doesn't matter to me. I don't make a dime from patron. Just sharing something that works beautifully for me. I've tried sharing this nifty tool many times on different avenues but I only know of 1 person who ever listened to me and he too is loving it.

Loading is quite easy. Patron dispenser have a YouTube channel showing how to load. They show oils though but shatter isn't that much different. My wax comes on parchment paper. If the shatter is really stable, I warm the shatter up by placing it between my hands in the parchment paper to losses up a bit. Then I used the parchment paper to fold the shatter in half, then in half, then in half again. This will result in a little cube that I then use the parchment paper to roll the cube into a ball that fits I to the cartridge. Easy peasy with no mess

Last edited:

zenmasterofzinfandel

^LOL, OT managing concentrates, LOL @FlylingLow, u have a mega thread for 'noob's where some unwise posts on conc management is lost, yet I see in my months long absence, u & others r doing the typical canna forums 'all-over-the-place, good luck any non-daily member will have to find these' using inadequate searches...the more things change, the more they stay the same; I been there, done this disorganized chaos on canna forums nearly 2 decades now.

I have found exactly the opposite of your contentions. Keep things cool, for longer term storage, take out of the refrig and/or freezer, allow to warm up, then hit nearly *all* forms of concentrates with varying times using a cheap blow dryer on low setting. U lose a few terps, but blow dryers r set for max 140ºF to prevent ppl from burning their scalps. omakase...trust me, it works.

Then for that 0.1 or 0.01 that is *always* wasted/remains on parchment or in those very polluting/non-recycling containers(if they r plastic/rubber/pretend silicon tops...they will start to melt from the blowdryer)...dump a small amount of ground herb, mix/stir with dab tool or other...u get a paste of ground herb & most of remaining rosin/wax/dry sift, oil, etc which you can then vape (k, not so good for dab rigs unless u have convection only setup<flowerpot?

I had a friend who made top-notch blond hash, via dry ice, from Sage he had stored in a hot attic..for yrs! Ppl tend to forget, THC degrades to CBN...which makes you sleepy/sedated. Longer u store any weed/conc @room temps or hotter, faster conversion of THC to CBN. That means all of Frenchy Cannoli hash, as he cures his, must have measurable CBN levels from the time you get it, and more the longer u keep it. Someone needs to do a study(scientific double blind, peer reviewed) to find out how terpenes & cannabinoids *change* with curing time vs temperature, how those changes/degradation effect both medical and flavor components.

So after 'curing' & long-term storage (outside of super cold freezer/freeze dryers) of months/yrs, ur going to get measurable of CBN and lost THC. If you want to keep the 'fresher' profile, medically or recreational effects, you keep it cold as possible to slow down the degradation process. Of course you need to do other things, like prevent oxidation/prevent excess moisture/humidity, but that's for a different chaotic OT/drift thread, post

Unfortunately, not any great non-thermoelectric options out there for my needs, but the smallest one I could find with a compressor is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0136TQ65Y

I think thermoelectric would work for me but haven't found that perfect size/function yet. They also make coolers for makeup, but I haven't spent much time researching those. Actually, the one Dangus linked above is the one I almost settled on after ruling out the insulin coolers, but I never pulled the trigger..
Going to guess the one Dangus linked will prove unsatisfactory. ^that Dometic is pretty good, I have a 3-way larger Dometic, LP, 110v, 12v<thermoelectric. Cannot use these thermoelectric models in a hot automobile, or any hot environment, they will not maintain temperature...u need a compressor model...even @that, in a hot environment, those smaller sizes(thin insulation) with a compressor likely will have difficulty keeping temps in range.

zenmasterofzinfandel,
Top Bottom