Gear Concentrate accessory questions (Ti, SS, Nails, Dabbers)

exit

how is it recommended to clean a ti nail properly? i was worried if washing it in ISO too often would cause undeisrable effects?

exit,

AdmiralAlpacha

Why does your nail need washing?

Burn off anything with a torch
I would use Iso if it ever needs cleaned, shouldn't be too often to do damage

AdmiralAlpacha,
Reactions: ogcook

exit

Why does your nail need washing?

Burn off anything with a torch
I would use Iso if it ever needs cleaned, shouldn't be too often to do damage

just got it in the mail, lil stuff from packing materials and envelope on there. thx tho ill just use an iso qtip and burn it off before usin when its dry.

exit,

exit

• ok honesly. is there any reason i shouldn't use a big propane tank to heat my giant ti nail. its like $15 at home depot for a enormous tank...

exit,

exit

Those map gas torches burn way too hot even on the lowest setting. It will work but have always heard to not use one.

Too hot for what???

I have a Titanium nail that is thicker than any other nail I've ever seen. Even with one of these torches I would have to be heating it for 3 minutes minimum before it was hot enough to hit!

diIW76w.jpg

exit

I would hate to spend three minutes heating something up. What's the point?

The point is I brought the nail over to a friend's house the other night, he uses a propane tank like that to heat it. It only took around 45-50 seconds to get the nail properly heated with that.

My question is if there's any harm in using a propane torch to heat my nail I'm about to dab on.

For the record my titanium nail is a massive domeless nail. It's as long as a king size sharpie with the slide attached. It takes a lot of heating up.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
The head is what matters not the overall length of the nail.
Am I right, ladies?!:p

Also, asking if there's harm using that big propane torch is going to lead to %50 of the people saying there's no proof it will be harmful and another %50 saying there's no proof but that doesn't mean that it's still not harmful.

SD_haze

The point is I brought the nail over to a friend's house the other night, he uses a propane tank like that to heat it. It only took around 45-50 seconds to get the nail properly heated with that.

My question is if there's any harm in using a propane torch to heat my nail I'm about to dab on.

For the record my titanium nail is a massive domeless nail. It's as long as a king size sharpie with the slide attached. It takes a lot of heating up.

Here's the butane vs propane torch argument in my opinion:

A propane torch on low is putting out a similar temperature to a high-end butane torch on high. The "2400F" and "3600F" ratings are maxes under perfect conditions.

You are right that a super-thick TI nail is pretty indestructible.
However, the issue with the propane torch deals with oxidation.

Info pulled from Highly Educated:
Titanium oxide...The hotter you get your titanium the more readily it reacts with the oxygen in the air and subsequently the faster it oxidizes.

A thick oxidation layer on your nail or pad can affect its efficiency. The oxide layer can be removed with an abrasive or a small sharp tool such as a flat head dabber and it is recommended you rinse the titanium after to prevent any of the dust particulates from entering your glass or, more importantly, your body. Unfortunately, rinsing the nail only invites more oxide as torching a wet nail will make it oxidize faster. This is because the oxygen in the water is plentiful and in direct contact with the titanium. Over time a nail head can become so oxidized that it has lost much of its original heat retention capabilities. It takes quite some time for a nail head or pad to become worn enough that it would ever need replacing
TLDR: constantly blasting your nail with a propane torch on HIGH (using the hottest part of the flame, the inner white-blue tip) will cause oxidation to happen much faster, even on a fat nail. However, you could always use the propane torch NOT on max, or NOT use the inner white-blue tip of the flame. In those cases, the temperature is much more comparable to a high-power butane torch.

An oxidized nail doesn't hold its heat well. If you spent $100+ on a nail and want* it to last years, not six months, then aim for gradual heating of the nail with whatever torch you wish. Propane fuel is simply cheaper than refined butane, and there are ways to heat your nail with a propane torch that won't overheat it.

Doug

Just passing time
Propane is only 2800 deg. F. Not much higher than butane.

Me either. I use a dome and small quartz bucket nail thingy. It heats in 30 seconds and will vape at least 0.1 g at once. I don't push higher though.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
I just got a HE DualiTi domeless for $50 shipped. Best $50 I've spent so far on concentrate gear. Like Doug, mine heats up in less than 30. I've not gone over .25 with it yet. No probs so far.

Highly recommend the HE.

Silver420Surfer,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw

SD_haze

Propane is only 2800 deg. F. Not much higher than butane.

Me either. I use a dome and small quartz bucket nail thingy. It heats in 30 seconds and will vape at least 0.1 g at once. I don't push higher though.
I guess the 3600F number is what pure propane burns at in, air, with the difference being propane fuel isn't pure propane?

SD_haze,

dannkk

Only thing I have against propane is it stinks. Purified butane is much cleaner than propane from the hardware store.

dannkk,

SD_haze

Only thing I have against propane is it stinks. Purified butane is much cleaner than propane from the hardware store.
I agree that hardware propane is probably a little stinkier than refined butane, but what made me change my tune was finding out that canned highly-refined butane still has propane.
At least Vector's MSDS sheet says it does.

Now, the difference might be that hardware propane tanks DO contain ethyl mercaptan (smelly crap) whereas the 11% propane in 5x refined Vector Butane is simply propane and no added ethyl mercaptan.

So if that's the case, that is a very good point.

cloudblower

I just purchased a domeless quartz nail which fits in my Treehouse inline bong perfectly. My concern is when I heat the nail, I am also heating the stem of the bong (too a much less degree obviously). Should I get a ground glass joint/adapter to go between the bong and the nail to prevent damaging the stem of my bong?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

cloudblower,

next level

I just purchased a domeless quartz nail which fits in my Treehouse inline bong perfectly. My concern is when I heat the nail, I am also heating the stem of the bong (too a much less degree obviously). Should I get a ground glass joint/adapter to go between the bong and the nail to prevent damaging the stem of my bong?

Yes I would for the long term health of your glass. Better to be safe.

SD_haze

They say borosilicate glass has enough durability against thermal shock that this shouldn't be an issue, but I'd still say it's not a bad idea to use a $5-10 adapter just in case. Especially if it's a nice piece.

cloudblower

I feel guilty for double posting, but I didn't see an edit feature on my previous post.

Anyhoo, I talked with Luke at Treehouse Glass and he agrees with us all that using an adapter is a smart way to go. He says he's been playing around with blowing them and offered to ship me one free. What an awesome guy and an awesome company. So I'll throw out some recommendations for people to check out their heady glass.

farscaper

that is actually really pimp looking lol... im nit usually a fan of hoses... but that is one of those things you see and you cant help but go... can I hit that?

where did you find it? local head shop?

I could totally see diy...
you need 2x gong hose adapters
1 nectar collectar tip (quartz or Ti)
a legnth of black silicone hose.

it would only lack a hook to hang it... I can twist a fancy stainless steel cradle or hook to hang it...

anyone interested? I am!

YsFrufzl.jpg

farscaper,
Top Bottom