Gear Concentrate accessory questions (Ti, SS, Nails, Dabbers)

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
http://vapordome.net/
incredibowl-vapor-dome-2-295x3001.jpg

have had the m420, the quick trigger and the sherlock for awhile now, finally picked up the turtle dome oil set. just shot a quick video. glove is not about heat, fyi. just to give good background for the vapor.
should be up in less than 10 min

Soflo

Only birdshit and fools
My nail has yellow spots all over it, and it appears to be sheding some exoskeleton.( Little pieces are coming off the nail) what is going on?

Soflo,

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
My nail has yellow spots all over it, and it appears to be sheding some exoskeleton.( Little pieces are coming off the nail) what is going on?

Yikes. Doesn't sound like it was grade 1-4 titanium. If your nail starts chipping, that means you're inhaling little bits of what's chipping off. Not good. Stop using it. Look up Highly Educated nails, you won't have this problem there. You can find true grade 2 nails for cheaper, but you have to trust your source.

Soflo

Only birdshit and fools
It was a HE knockoff of the infinity nail. Can you overheat a grade 2 and cause this to happen? I ran out of butane and used the glass torch..... oops

it actually was a real HE dualti nail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soflo,

JoeKickass

Is the metal underneath kind of pitted or damaged, or does it look fine? Maybe it's just the layer of titanium oxide coming off?

JoeKickass,

Soflo

Only birdshit and fools
Its definitely pitted, here is a pic of my other nail that has been severely abused

Soflo,

exit

Okay I've been hearing conflicting opinions about this.

Is there really any harm in using a stainless steel dabber.

I don't wanna spend money on a fancy glass one or titanim one really.

I used to have a quartz nail and i loved you could just touch the dabber to it everything ran right off. Last time I had a ti nail it was a pain in the ass to get the dab on, you had to get it just right. I also heard it was bad to touch the stainless steel dabber to the ti nail while its hot.

Is that cause of my dabber not working as smoothly just cause its titanium? If not what do I need to look for in a dabber.

exit,

farscaper

Your not heating the dabber... People are just silly with all the you gotta have ti bs. Ive used all kinda dabber. No need to obcess about material of a dabber.
Okay I've been hearing conflicting opinions about this.

Is there really any harm in using a stainless steel dabber.

I don't wanna spend money on a fancy glass one or titanim one really.

I used to have a quartz nail and i loved you could just touch the dabber to it everything ran right off. Last time I had a ti nail it was a pain in the ass to get the dab on, you had to get it just right. I also heard it was bad to touch the stainless steel dabber to the ti nail while its hot.

Is that cause of my dabber not working as smoothly just cause its titanium? If not what do I need to look for in a dabber.

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Your not heating the dabber... People are just silly with all the you gotta have ti bs. Ive used all kinda dabber. No need to obcess about material of a dabber.
I hear that!!!
I don't care what anyone says my quartz nail was the BEST TASTING nail i've ever hit!!!
@farscaper's post was more in regards to dabber materials, and metals, not so much glass/quartz. With dabbing surfaces, like nails/skillets, SS wouldn't be good, as it's toxic at the temps we need AFAIK. Quartz and glass are fine though, I still use my Quartz occasionally! As for the "Must be Ti" crowd. I can see the logic, but when it comes down to it, it's not a necessity. glass/quarts/Ti for dabbing surface, Glass/Ti/stainless for dabber IMO

Also, I have to agree. I'd go for my cheapo quartz for flavor over my DYD adjustable Ti...heat retention, adjustability, etc...it's the DYD all day though ;)

AdmiralAlpacha

I have read not to use steel dabbers because it is softer than the titanium and will microscopically scrape off and fill the pores of the titanium.

Borosilicate glass won't scrap off, and titanium on titanium obviously won't have any effect.

I'm sure its a very minor amount, and probably won't cause any real world harm, but that is the reasoning I was told.

Edit: I'm talking about dabbers with a ti nail.

AdmiralAlpacha,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw

SD_haze

I have read not to use steel dabbers because it is softer than the titanium and will microscopically scrape off and fill the pores of the titanium.

Borosilicate glass won't scrap off, and titanium on titanium obviously won't have any effect.

I'm sure its a very minor amount, and probably won't cause any real world harm, but that is the reasoning I was told.

Yar I'd never touch a SS dabber to a TI nail.
However, I do use my SS dabber with a TI nail where I let the radiating heat just melt the dab off the dabber. No SS--->TI contact :tup:

I'd always use a cheap glass dabber, but I just love how easy it is to pick up dabs with my curved pointy SS dabber.

AdmiralAlpacha

I've used SS before at friends plenty of times, I also do the radiate heat thing, or I will even touch it to the corner between the floor and the wall of the nail, I just don't scrape it around.

I have a bunch of glass ones so those get all the use around my place

mestizo

@farscaper's post was more in regards to dabber materials, and metals, not so much glass/quartz. With dabbing surfaces, like nails/skillets, SS wouldn't be good, as it's toxic at the temps we need AFAIK. Quartz and glass are fine though, I still use my Quartz occasionally! As for the "Must be Ti" crowd. I can see the logic, but when it comes down to it, it's not a necessity. glass/quarts/Ti for dabbing surface, Glass/Ti/stainless for dabber IMO

Also, I have to agree. I'd go for my cheapo quartz for flavor over my DYD adjustable Ti...heat retention, adjustability, etc...it's the DYD all day though ;)
If SS it's toxic at the temperatures we need, don't you think cookware will have a warning since most of the finest cooking utensils are made of stainless steel and we burn the shit out of them in the fire, and BTW what type of SS alloy are we talking about?
haven't we been eating with stainless steel for a long, long time and the food industry considers it one of the safest.
I use logic when it comes to my health, not hype.

mestizo

you will never be anywhere near the melting point of any SS alloy just by holding your dabber near, or touching a hot titanium nail, the time it takes for the temperature to travel from a nail to a dabber may be short but never enough to cause the SS to come apart or melt, try it and you'll see.

mestizo,

AdmiralAlpacha

I'm not worried about it melting, I don't want it filling my nail with deposits. It doesn't need to me melting to scrape off.

I don't know what kind of SS alloy we are discussing, I never get that much background when using someone else's rig, which is why I like to be cautious.

Also I never heat my cookware with a butane torch and then inhale medication off of it directly into my lungs :2c:

I'm not saying its going to send you to the hospital though, I'd be more worried about the oil I'm hitting. But I just like to do things right when and where I can.

AdmiralAlpacha,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw

mestizo

I'm not worried about it melting, I don't want it filling my nail with deposits. It doesn't need to me melting to scrape off.

I don't know what kind of SS alloy we are discussing, I never get that much background when using someone else's rig, which is why I like to be cautious.

Also I never heat my cookware with a butane torch and then inhale medication off of it directly into my lungs :2c:

I'm not saying its going to send you to the hospital though, I'd be more worried about the oil I'm hitting. But I just like to do things right when and where I can.
But you let it cool down after you torched before placing the medication, don't you?
If SS was unsafe or toxic it will be at cooking temperatures, don' you think so?
I mean, it gets pretty hot over the stove flames.
Never have I heard SS being unsafe at any temperature. Iron is a close relative to SS and we brand animals with it, while red hot.
Also, don't they say a similar thing to justify titanium use "It is used in the medical industry"
Well, the medical industry never torches the titanium and the grade mostly used is not even pure, it is a higher grade alloy, look it up if you don't believe me. Aerospace is one of the #1 customer of the pure titaniums.

Last edited:
mestizo,

Caligula

Maximus
Whats it made of? You can typically iso everything but rubber pieces. Looks like there are rubber orings you should remove at the least.

Caligula,

mystikalghost

Whats it made of? You can typically iso everything but rubber pieces. Looks like there are rubber orings you should remove at the least.

Fasttech says the cup is ceramic. Removing those O Rings would be so annoying. Maybe I could just take take some Q tips to the pieces. Not sure what type of metal that is but I am sure ISO won't screw it up.

mystikalghost,

dannkk

I used ISO to clean mine, twice. First time I just activated it to dry it out. That one stopped working. Second one, I soaked in alcohol only deep enough to cover the cup, and dried it in my Extreme vape. That one still works fine. So, I dunno. Try it.

dannkk,
Top Bottom