• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Comic Books (And The Movies / Shows Based On Them)

arf777

No longer dogless
So in a real sense, Arrow IS over- according to Amell, "No more Arrow suit"- he will never be in the green hood again? How is this any version of Green Arrow anymore????

http://comicbook.com/2015/05/15/stephen-amell-says-hes-worn-the-arrow-suit-for-the-last-time/?utm_source=Comicbook.com&utm_campaign=62a6689859-2015_05_15:20:53:35Comicbook.com+Daily+Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7a2d10cb6e-62a6689859-269210601

UPDATE: As my DC-freak brother in law pointed out, this has to be an intentional misdirect. Cuz Amell is in the Arrow suit in the Legends of Tomorrow trailer, and he has been telling fans at cons that he will soon be the Green Arrow, not the Arrow. Unless they are redesigning the suit, in which case he wi technically not be wearing THAT Arrow suit, just AN Arrow suit.

Last edited:

arf777

No longer dogless
This exclusive Deadpool variant of Secret Wars #1 just went on sale on thinkgeek.
https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/iiso/

qMKK3R0.jpg

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this seems to be happening - http://screenrant.com/spider-man-asa-butterfield-peter-parker/ . Another damn British Spider-man. That's two in a row. Don't get me wrong, Asa Butterfield is a very good actor. But this is really starting to piss me off.

I know I have ranted about this before, but I gotta say it again. Can we not have ONE New York superhero played by a goddamn New Yorker? Most are not even being played by Americans, while the few that are (only Captain America springs to mind) are not being played by people who sound like where they're from. Cap is from Brooklyn. Chris Evans is not, nor do they let him even try to sound like it.

In terms of Brits playing New Yorkers, check out how nuts the list has gotten: Andrew Garfield as Spidey; now Asa Butterfield as Spidey; Cumberbatch as Strange (who they are considering making straight-up British, as Marvel is apparently unhappy with his attempts at sounding even vaguely American); some British shithead as Ben Grimm; Charlie Cox as Daredevil (though I love him as Daredevil, he doesn't sound even a little like he's from Manhattan); Patrick Stewart as the old Prof X and McAvoy as the young X (at least prof X is from Westchester, not the city, but still, folks from Westchester can sound a bit hoity-toity, not British- plus there is no possible explanation for him sounding British and the girl he was raised with [Mystique] sounding American. And will Juggernaut sound British if/when he turns up again, and if not how will they explain that and still leave him Xavier's step-brother?).

Last edited:

arf777

No longer dogless
Did anyone mention this show? :) This was my favorite show when I was a kid, and I really cared about what happened to David.

I also like how they pay homage to this in the new Avengers movie. :lol:

Was 2nd only to Star Trek as my favorite show when I was a kid.

There are actually references to this show all over Marvel - repeated uses of 'you wouldn't like me when I'm ____' - in movies, in comics, in the cartoons (one of my favorites, Deadpool- "You wouldn't like me when I'm cranky". Lou Ferrigno as the voice of the Hulk's grunts in all of the Hulk movies and in the 1st Avengers, him physically appearing as a security guard in the 2008 Hulk. Don't know if he is also the grunting in the newest Avengers, but my guess is they re-used what he had recorded before. If Bixby were alive, they'd have given him cameos, IMHO.

However Hulk fighting Thor is not a reference to this show. They have been pounding on each other since Avengers volume 1, #1, in 1963.

And in an other part of the geekosphere- in the Star Trek universe, Lou appeared all painted green (as an Orion pirate) in episode 2 of the fan-made Star Trek Continues. Like most, I just see him as the Hulk when he's all greened up.

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Was 2nd only to Star Trek as my favorite show when I was a kid.

There are actually references to this show all over Marvel - repeated uses of 'you wouldn't like me when I'm ____' - in movies, in comics, in the cartoons (one of my favorites, Deadpool- "You wouldn't like me when I'm cranky". Lou Ferrigno as the voice of the Hulk's grunts in all of the Hulk movies and in the 1st Avengers, him physically appearing as a security guard in the 2008 Hulk. Don't know if he is also the grunting in the newest Avengers, but my guess is they re-used what he had recorded before. If Bixby were alive, they'd have given him cameos, IMHO.

And in an other part of the geekosphere- in the Star Trek universe, Lou appeared all painted green (as an Orion pirate) in episode 2 of the fan-made Star Trek Continues. Like most, I just see him as the Hulk when he's all greened up.

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

OMG, I LOVED that episode. He played such a good asshole! :lol: Chris Doohan said he really liked working with him too. BTW, The Incredible Hulk is on Esquire Channel all day again today. :)

Star Trek was also one of my favorite shows, probably above The Incredible Hulk. It was a family tradition to see every Trek movie on opening day. We've upheld that tradition to this day. :)

We also have some authentic dilithium crystals that we got from Chris a few years ago. They were actually used in the old TOS series by James Doohan. They are part of the Doohan family collection. I wish Chris hadn't broken them up so much, though.

1omb2oB.jpg

Last edited:

arf777

No longer dogless
OMG, I LOVED that episode. He played such a good asshole! :lol: Chris Doohan said he really liked working with him too. BTW, The Incredible Hulk is on Esquire Channel all day again today. :)

Star Trek was also one of my favorite shows, probably above The Incredible Hulk. It was a family tradition to see every Trek movie on opening day. We've upheld that tradition to this day. :)

We also have some authentic dilithium crystals that we got from Chris a few years ago. They were actually used in the old TOS series by James Doohan. They are part of the Doohan family collection. I wish Chris hadn't broken them up so much, though.

1omb2oB.jpg

HOLY SHIT!! That may be the coolest thing I have EVER seen. A geek Holy Grail. If I had a kid, I'd trade him or her for real ST:TOS dilithium crystals, which I would then worship. If I could, I would LOVE rather than just LIKE your post.

I too am from a whole Trek family. When I was kid, I was only allowed 3 hours of TV a week, and one of those hours was required to be Star Trek, which my family watched together. Then when TNG started, we always watched the new episodes together. And just about every gift I give my parents are Trek-related. This year for mother's day, got my mom the original Enterprise sushi set.

OTcIWRQ.jpg

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
HOLY SHIT!! That may be the coolest thing I have EVER seen. A geek Holy Grail. If I had a kid, I'd trade him or her for real ST:TOS dilithium crystals, which I would then worship. If I could, I would LOVE rather than just LIKE your post.

I too am from a whole Trek family. When I was kid, I was only allowed 3 hours of TV a week, and one of those hours was required to be Star Trek, which my family watched together. Then when TNG started, we always watched the new episodes together. And just about every gift I give my parents are Trek-related. This year for mother's day, got my mom the original Enterprise sushi set.

OTcIWRQ.jpg

That's really cool!! We have an Enterprise pizza cutter. I like how the warp field extends out of the engines. :nod:

arf777

No longer dogless
Turns out George R.R. Martin's first published work was a fan letter addressed to Lee & Kirby in an issue of Fantastic Four. And he was a comic book dude from quite early- this was in FF #20.

q4zi97G.jpg

And there was an animatic of an alternate opening to Winter Soldier making the rounds, but like the Suicide Squad video, it got yanked :(. You'd think the Deadpool test footage would've taught the studios that that sort of thing is good for their characters and brand, not bad for them.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Turns out George R.R. Martin's first published work was a fan letter addressed to Lee & Kirby in an issue of Fantastic Four. And he was a comic book dude from quite early- this was in FF #20.

q4zi97G.jpg

And there was an animatic of an alternate opening to Winter Soldier making the rounds, but like the Suicide Squad video, it got yanked :(. You'd think the Deadpool test footage would've taught the studios that that sort of thing is good for their characters and brand, not bad for them.

Wow, that's awesome!! We met Stan Lee a few years ago. He really is nice. He was like a little kid around C3PO and R2D2. It was fun that year. :)

arf777

No longer dogless
Deal alert:
When I get the time to watch all 21 episodes of john doe in one week, I will give hulu plus a free trial :tup:

Awesome news! And I was literally about to cancel my hulu subscription. Gotta binge on this first.

@Vicki - I have heard Stan is really nice in person. But I gotta say I dislike him over his role in Jack Kirby getting screwed out of money and credit. Marvel only settled with the Kirbys this past October. Jack himself received nothing in royalties from Marvel ever, and some of the stuff Stan is credited with writing - like huge swaths of Fantastic Four and the Avengers- was actually written by Kirby (the dialog is on the original pencil sheets in Jack's handwriting for many of those). Stan had a built-in advantage, as he was related to Goodman, the founder and long-time owner of Marvel.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Awesome news! And I was literally about to cancel my hulu subscription. Gotta binge on this first.

@Vicki - I have heard Stan is really nice in person. But I gotta say I dislike him over his role in Jack Kirby getting screwed out of money and credit. Marvel only settled with the Kirbys this past October. Jack himself received nothing in royalties from Marvel ever, and some of the stuff Stan is credited with writing - like huge swaths of Fantastic Four and the Avengers- was actually written by Kirby (the dialog is on the original pencil sheets in Jack's handwriting for many of those). Stan had a built-in advantage, as he was related to Goodman, the founder and long-time owner of Marvel.

Yeah, that was shitty, and I feel badly for Kirby. I did notice that they gave Kirby and Lee credit at the end of The Incredible Hulk just now.

Vicki,
Reactions: arf777

arf777

No longer dogless
Yeah, that was shitty, and I feel badly for Kirby. I did notice that they gave Kirby and Lee credit at the end of The Incredible Hulk just now.

Back in the 70s, things were a little better on the credits side (though not the money). At least part of the settlement is Jack will now be credited on everything he should be - he is prominently in the credits in Age of Ultron and Agents of SHIELD.

arf777

No longer dogless
Even though he is officially dead, a bunch of new Deadpool is coming:
Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars (Deadpool inserted into the original Secret Wars) comes out tomorrow. He's due to show up in Ultimate Spider-man Web Warriors #8 in June. Is rumored to be making an appearance in the new Secret Wars: Battleworld #3 in July (despite Marvel insisting he is not appearing in the new Secret Wars, as his "death" was part of the kickoff).

His wife Shiklah is getting her own mini-series as a Secret Wars tie-in, Mrs Deadpool and the Howling Commandos.

And the newest announcement- Guardians Team-up #10, due out in August, will be Deadpool and Rocket Raccoon. Has serious potential to be awesome, if they don't just kill each other.

arf777

No longer dogless
I am embarrassed to say, i am reading this for the 1st time. According to many, the greatest (and definitely weirdest) graphic novel ever written, The Incal.

Author is Jodorowsky (as in El Topo, The Holy Mountain), and this is where a lot of his work that was for his never-filmed version of Dune ended up. Like in his Dune production design, the artist is Moebius. Mixture of high weirdness, disturbing sexual imagery, and excellent storytelling.

Tn75Yxr.jpg

And at the moment, you can get the entire thing, every issue, in digital for $40 on Comixology. As a hard copy of volume 1 alone can run $50 or more, and only gets you the first half dozen issues, it's a pretty good deal. Of course I'd rather have a hard copy.

https://www.comixology.com/The-Complete-Incal/bundle/930

arf777

No longer dogless
So for years I have really wanted to read Kirby's New Gods, decided to make another try at getting a copy with the new Star Wars coming (New Gods was a huge influence on Star Wars - Darkseid, the Source, a dark side (Apokolips) and a light side (New Genesis), family lines with special powers, rebellion against an evil emperor, etc). Expensive to get the actual comics, and the collected version is out of print, but I found a copy of this edition of the 1st collection for a decent price. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1563893851/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I ordered the thing. Took weeks to get here, and when it finally did, it was in fucking BLACK & WHITE with no prior indication that it was so. And no, the originals were not in black & white. Even worse, they left in grey and black as a stand in for the colors. I mean, if you're going to leave the colors out of a Kirby, just leave the pencil & ink, that way you can at least make out all the Kirby detail. Not what they did though. All kinds of detail obscured by solid greys and blacks.

Turns out DC did this for a monetary reason. The collection is allegedly from a period after they had retired the original Silver Age printing presses, and DC did not want to pay to have new plates for a color run produced. That is the official explanation. I have trouble buying it, though, as color printing from difital files already existed when this was printed. So it sounds to me like they were just being cheap.

While the same issues in the full Fourth World Omnibus - more expensive - are in color. So if you want to read New Gods, you have to invest in the full Fourth World Omnibi - a lot more material than New Gods, includes Forever People, Jimmy Olson, Mister Miracle - or spend the money on the original comics, which are not cheap. But do NOT by the New Gods collection Amazon has. Debating whether to return it or shelve it as a collectible.

In much cooler DC news, I have only two words for last night's finale of The Flash - THE HELMET!!

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
I'm doing my best to get through john doe in a week. I like the premise, and the acting/production is pretty good. It started out as a standard (seattle-based) homicide drama with a twist/backstory, then veered into more of an x-files mode, then a 24/ctu-style episode where there was a bunch of misdirection and a weaponized smallpox threat. The backstory is of course the main attraction, and even hulu+ has too many damn ads. I'm pretty sure the "lady" in the current episode is actually a tranny. That's about it for now!

grokit,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

arf777

No longer dogless
I'm doing my best to get through john doe in a week. I like the premise, and the acting/production is pretty good. It started out as a standard (seattle-based) homicide drama with a twist/backstory, then veered into more of an x-files mode, then a 24/ctu-style episode where there was a bunch of misdirection and a weaponized smallpox threat. The backstory is of course the main attraction, and even hulu+ has too many damn ads. I'm pretty sure the "lady" in the current episode is actually a tranny. That's about it for now!

What episode are you at? Cuz if it's episode 9, the lady is the usually gorgeous (though skinny) Gabrielle Anwar, just with shitty makeup and lighting (check her in Burn Notice).

Hulu+ does have too many ads for a pay site, which is why I'm canceling my membership when I finish watching John Doe and Community.

arf777,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

grokit

well-worn member
What episode are you at? Cuz if it's episode 9, the lady is the usually gorgeous (though skinny) Gabrielle Anwar, just with shitty makeup and lighting (check her in Burn Notice).

Hulu+ does have too many ads for a pay site, which is why I'm canceling my membership when I finish watching John Doe and Community.
I'm definitely a fan of Anwar ("Phoebe") :tup:

No it's in a much later episode (around #18 I think), the "cyber-whore" character :D

grokit,

arf777

No longer dogless
I'm definitely a fan of Anwar ("Phoebe") :tup:

No it's in a much later episode (around #18 I think), the "cyber-whore" character :D
I remember that one- not there yet in re-watching it. She is odd looking.

Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars #1 came out this week with some cool variant covers. Got myself the Skottie Young version.

v9zcrrg.jpg

arf777

No longer dogless
OK, this is an odd one. Word is Tilda Swinton may be playing The Ancient One in Doctor Strange. I'm a fan of hers, but that is a male character. It isn't like there aren't a whole slew of strong, funky female characters in the Dr. Strange part of the Marvel U, so it's an odd choice. But still, IMHO it'd be better casting than Cumberbatch as Strange.

http://comicbook.com/2015/05/27/til...il&utm_term=0_7a2d10cb6e-8ab1bb1950-269210601

arf777,
Reactions: grokit
Top Bottom