Combustor vape

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
It packs the biggest punch of all the portables, (i'd like to see anyone argue otherwise)
Not true. The cooling unit condenses a significant amount of actives in turn making the final hit (however big it may be) less potent than a hit from say the Milaana, Mistvape Touch, or Grasshopper. That's partially why hits from the Crafty and Mighty seem leaps and bounds smoother than other vaporizers. The hit (comparatively) is less potent.

And again, the Vivant Alternate is every bit as good as the Crafty (or Mighty, since they perform near identically) vapor quality/density/potency wise but has the massive advantage of an easily swappable 18650 battery. When the Mighty or Crafty's batteries inevitably give out you will have to pay either $50(Crafty) or $90(Mighty) for battery replacement. If I was given 2 Crafty's free of charge I'd sell them both and get an Alternate. Non-replaceable battery especially for a heavy user isn't awesome.

Here's an example of the Grasshopper (which I would never recommend due to reliability issues) destroying an entire bowl through a bubbler just to show the Mighty definitely doesn't pack the biggest punch of any portable:

Last edited:

sativasam

NO SMOKING
Not true. The cooling unit condenses a significant amount of actives in turn making the final hit (however big it may be) less potent than a hit from say the Milaana, Mistvape Touch, or Grasshopper. That's partially why hits from the Crafty and Mighty seem leaps and bounds smoother than other vaporizers. The hit (comparatively) is less potent.

And again, the Vivant Alternate is every bit as good as the Crafty (or Mighty, since they perform near identically) vapor quality/density/potency wise but has the massive advantage of an easily swappable 18650 battery. When the Mighty or Crafty's batteries inevitably give out you will have to pay either $50(Crafty) or $90(Mighty) for battery replacement. If I was given 2 Crafty's free of charge I'd sell them both and get an Alternate. Non-replaceable battery especially for a heavy user isn't awesome.

Here's an example of the Grasshopper (which I would never recommend due to reliability issues) destroying an entire bowl through a bubbler just to show the Mighty definitely doesn't pack the biggest punch of any portable:

Im talking about the Mighty, not the Crafty.

Personally I don't think the amount condensed in the Mighty is that 'significant'. I also think that the cooling chamber on the mighty creating the cooler and thicker vapour at the expense of what you call significant and what I call insignificant amounts of goodies, is a good trade, and creates an overall experience that is closer to the smoking experience.

You've shown a grasshopper attached to a bubbler saying that this shows that the Mighty doesn't pack the biggest punch. Are you high? Stupid question.

You can keep your knock off Crafties and hot handed Milanaas!

Of the vapes you mention, which do you own?

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
For this situation I would suggest something like the silver surfer.

First thing he said is that his friend has manual dexterity issues.

If this guy has manual dexterity issues, stay away from the SSV. Take it from someone who has been there: The act of having to hold a glass wand in mid air and gently touch it against another piece of wobbly glass is neither easy nor fun for people with manual dexterity/weakness issues.

I have very bad manual dexterity and weakness in my hands and arms. Consequently, SSV bad.

I didn't "get" the Vapcap for a year, but now I really get it; even with very bad hands. For the price I think it's a given that you start here. If you want to see a conversion pretty much in progress, watch this video:

But if you have the money, maybe Mighty. Having both (and loving both), I feel like Vapcap may be better for a first try.

@sickmanfraud As already mentioned by @invertedisdead, you don't have to heat the Vapcap near your beard.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60

If this guy has manual dexterity issues, stay away from the SSV. Take it from someone who has been there: The act of having to hold a glass wand in mid air and gently touch it against another piece of wobbly glass is neither easy nor fun for people with manual dexterity/weakness issues.

I have very bad manual dexterity and weakness in my hands and arms. Consequently, SSV bad.

I didn't "get" the Vapcap for a year, but now I really get it; even with very bad hands. For the price I think it's a given that you start here. If you want to see a conversion pretty much in progress, watch this video:

But if you have the money, maybe Mighty. Having both (and loving both), I feel like Vapcap may be better for a first try.

@sickmanfraud As already mentioned by @invertedisdead, you don't have to heat the Vapcap near your beard.

Gotta say I love that vid. I know you were having a rough time but the honesty of your emotions has so much impact.

Sorry to go off topic but I've been meaning to say that to @Aimless Ryan.

Aimless Ryan

I guess that's why I thought I would hate the footage but then ended up loving it.

You probably saw the original. With the video I shared above, I cut all the bitching. Even though everything in this video is also in the other video, you probably wouldn't believe it if you watched it. Thanks.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I guess that's why I thought I would hate the footage but then ended up loving it.

You probably saw the original. With the video I shared above, I cut all the bitching. Even though everything in this video is also in the other video, you probably wouldn't believe it if you watched it. Thanks.

I saw it, and I've seen your discussions with some other members. You have my deepest respect and trust me when I say I believe it all. Wish you (we all) had a bit more peace in our lives.

Getting back on topic:

I think the mighty/crafty are fine vapes but I'm with @Cheesequake. There are now better value options out there such as the boundless or the Alternate.

In regards to usability of the VapCap, the spinning can be a bit difficult for those with dexterity issues but an @Pipes Induction Heater + VapCap M comes to less than $150 and is the easiest vape for me to use bar none.

It is also the closest facsimile to smoking a spliff I've ever experienced and was instrumental in helping me off the fire stick.

To use (with induction heater):
  1. Remove cap
  2. Inset bud or ground material (I prefer ground but a nug will work)
  3. Replace cap
  4. Insert device into induction heater until click
  5. Toke
  6. Repeat
To clean the device (5 mins job, not including soak time)
  1. Pull components apart
  2. Soak in ISO for a few mins*
  3. Use Q-tip or pipe cleaner to remove stubborn crap (basically push through condenser and run wound end of tip)
  4. Allow to dry
  5. Put back together
*DynaVap do not recommend ISO for safety reasons, if you aren't a total muppet and allow the ISO to fully dry off before using then it's safe to use. If you are a muppet then you are going to ignite the ISO fumes and torch your face. DON'T BE A MUPPET.

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
the thing is only 4-5 draws wouldn't have cut it for me to quit combusting - i was a long time vape at home and still combust at parties type. With most portables i did max one pre loaded bowl then it went to the pocket for the rest of the night, just too inconvenient - mighty and capsules changed that for good

all that alternate and other clones seem only similar on the outside - the heating tec is ages away from S&B

Last edited:

Tranquility

Rats. I was starting to come around to a desktop like the SSV.

I didn't mention price as a criteria. He's been my buddy since at least jr high school around 1/2 century ago and, without admitting anything, we may have combusted a bit together in high school. While our paths diverged on the herb for some decades, now that I'm back in the fold for at least a bit, I want him to share in the vaping adventure. Price is not going to be a core determinant to my decision.

That being said, who doesn't like to save a bit? The Vivant is starting to rise but for the cooling cap issue. Fenix? The Vapcap might be in his future and will certainly be in mine. Just not right now. (With an induction heater, a Vapcap may be near perfect. But, my time is starting to shorten and implementing a Vapcap/Induction plan will probably take me past the deadline. (aka Birthday))

Last edited:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
You know I really don't like recommending the GrassHopper due to all the RMA issues but I am seeing a number of posts in that thread relating to newer heating components (blue screen addition to stop heat sensor resin buildup, tighter backend, etc...) resolving issues for some folk.

All I can say is I've had mine for a year and although I'm not a heavy user like some I have easily put over 1000 loads through it and it does hit like a freight train. I'm not a huge fan of battery juggling which is why I prefer my VapCap but it's not like it's the most arduous task. It is starting to show signs of diminished capability so I can see an RMA in the not too distant future.

I never liked the mighty or crafty because of the plastic but that's my own prejudice more than any real world criticism. When I used one for a week the vapour was without a doubt (at the time) top quality but the Hopper hit's in a more aggressive fashion.

I've managed to convert some friends with the GrassHopper but others are just stuck in their ways.

If your friend is happy to vape for 15-20mins then the mighty/crafty is going to suit them.

If they want to have 1-3 large lung busting draws then the Hopper can do that one hitter vape style (you can of course turn the temp down for more gentle tokes).

I keep reading good things about the Tubo Evic ut not had the pleasure to try yet. It's essentially a convection bowl strapped to the side of and e-cig mod. The advantage is that the mod can monitor (to some degree) the heater temp allowing it to maintain a relatively constant heater temp regardless of the draw speed. They call this cruise control, many have likened it to the milana without the learning curve. It is quite a large device though, but so is a mighty.

One thing is for sure, 2017 certainly has a lot of new vapes to choose from.

Alexis

the future= nano heaters inside a vap cap! nano technology
Funny you say this because I was thinking just earlier how long will it be before some more advanced technology is released enabling portable vaporizers to have the same power as desktops on the tiniest of chips which hardly ever needs charging. (If ever!)
It should and would be the present, or actually the fairly distant past if all of the real advanced useful technology wasn't being held back from us the whole time, can't have the fuel Industries going out of business, people no longer dependent on the established hierarchies for fuel and power.

Last edited:

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Im talking about the Mighty, not the Crafty.

Personally I don't think the amount condensed in the Mighty is that 'significant'. I also think that the cooling chamber on the mighty creating the cooler and thicker vapour at the expense of what you call significant and what I call insignificant amounts of goodies, is a good trade, and creates an overall experience that is closer to the smoking experience.

You've shown a grasshopper attached to a bubbler saying that this shows that the Mighty doesn't pack the biggest punch. Are you high? Stupid question.

You can keep your knock off Crafties and hot handed Milanaas!

Of the vapes you mention, which do you own?
The Mighty and Crafty perform near identically. The Mighty might just condense even more vapor since the cooling unit is larger.

I have owned all vapes mentioned at one time or another except for the Mighty which is identical performance-wise to Crafty. Sold both Crafty's after I had to keep sending them in for replacement.

all that alternate and other clones seem only similar on the outside - the heating tec is ages away from S&B
That's simply false. The Alternate is DEFINITELY up to par with the Crafty heater, probably even more powerful. Here's a video of the Alternate vaping concentrate by way of 100% convection. I doubt the Mighty or Crafty could do that. Have you even used one? I doubt it.

Used2use

btw mighty heater has 6w more than crafty - but it ain't about power consumption or max temp, more about evenly heating the passing airflow and preventing conduction in the wrong places... ever done some CFD simulation, or at least some static fluid dynamic stuff? 100% convection is impossible...

Used2use,

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
btw mighty heater has 6w more than crafty
Got a source on that? I can't find any specifications that detailed on S&Bs site. Everyone who has compared them says they're identical excluding battery life and heatup time.

As for your convection comment....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Cheesequake,

Used2use

sry, it's 3w difference (27 vs 30 says s&b) but power consumption ain't the point that only changes heat up time...
As for your convection comment....:rolleyes:
for that u have to at least understand the fundamental laws of thermodynamics...

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
sry, it's 3w difference (27 vs 30 says s&b)
Where's your source? Just curious, I'd like to see myself.

Used2usefor said:
that u have to at least understand the fundamental laws of thermodynamics...

My point is when it comes to cannabis vaporizers no one considers or cares about that. There are convection and conduction vaporizers, and a combination. The Alternate when used like I use it in the video would be considered totally convection and I'm pretty sure you understand that, you're just trying to be difficult.

Last edited:
Cheesequake,

Aimless Ryan

My point is when it comes to cannabis vaporizers no one considers or cares about that. There are convection and conduction vaporizers, and a combination.
I care about that (thermodynamics). Heater technology means shit. Anything that will ever be done with a heater can already be done with a flame. Much faster. Turning unnecessarily fancy, expensive heating technology (or a flame) into an effective heat source for vaporization has to do with thermodynamics.

There's a reason why S&B vapes rule, and it has nothing to do with their heaters.

4tokin

I am aware of the dexterity issues that is why I suggested the SSV.
Mine has the 18mm gong glass and even on a difficult day it is fairly easy to use.

It is a lot easier to use than the vapcap.

Aimless Ryan

I forgot there are different wand options with the SSV. (I never had to choose a wand because my SSV was a factory second.) I had the standard wand. Still, I wouldn't change my mind. He said his friend has manual dexterity issues. Maybe you don't understand what it means to have manual dexterity issues, but I do.

Tiny88

Deluxe420
What should I get him?

1. He's older, but not old. A bit clumsy and not as flexible with his hands as he was when younger.
2. He's stubborn and, while smarter than I, is not going to power through any real learning curve on how to use or modify the device.
3. If it does not satisfy, it will get tossed in the trash. That includes any defect. There will not be an RMA.
4. He golfs and portability would be enjoyed.
5. He is not rigorous about equipment maintenance.

While he has used concentrate, his real use is in flower. A vape that can do both might be nice, but it needs to be great for herb.

Given how you have described your friend, I would go for the Healthy Rips Fury. There is hardly any learning curve involved... just turn on the vape, adjust the temp, watch the temp go up to the desired level and away you go. I would say that the Fury is truly a beginner's vape. The controls are simple. The device is really easy to clean, and doesn't require frequent cleaning.

The clouds this thing produces is pretty amazing, and really smooth as well. The Fury is as close to a "push-button-huge-clouds-no-maintenance vape" as you can get.

Here is a video of the Fury:

FYI, I have not owned the Fury long enough and it also has not been around long enough for any issues to have come up. The Fury does come with a concentrate cup as well. The price tag is around $139 USD. You might want to check out the Healthy Rips Fury posts.

Last edited:

4tokin

I forgot there are different wand options with the SSV. (I never had to choose a wand because my SSV was a factory second.) I had the standard wand. Still, I wouldn't change my mind. He said his friend has manual dexterity issues. Maybe you don't understand what it means to have manual dexterity issues, but I do.

My understanding from the original post he is just dealing with age, a bit clumsy and stiff. I know exactly what he is describing, which is what my recommendation was for.

If it was for someone like yourself, I it would be a different story.

sativasam

NO SMOKING
The Mighty and Crafty perform near identically. The Mighty might just condense even more vapor since the cooling unit is larger.

I have owned all vapes mentioned at one time or another except for the Mighty which is identical performance-wise to Crafty. Sold both Crafty's after I had to keep sending them in for replacement.

That's simply false. The Alternate is DEFINITELY up to par with the Crafty heater, probably even more powerful. Here's a video of the Alternate vaping concentrate by way of 100% convection. I doubt the Mighty or Crafty could do that. Have you even used one? I doubt it.

You doubt the Mighty could do that? What exactly would stop it it achieving this? Especially if as you say they perform "identically".

Either way I get Your points (although not very scientific) Cheesquake. There are vapes of equal (Alternate) or more punch (Grasshopper) to the Mighty.

More to the point. Which one of these will make the original posters friend convert?

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Post #7 of this thread is mine, I mentioned the Fury like @Tiny88. Unlike @Tiny88 I don't actually have one but I've read the thread and it seems to be getting a good response from the users.

One drawback is the LiPO battery is not user replaceable but at it's price point I think it would be a minor issue for @OldNewbie's friend.

It's small, easy to use, convection and it appears to be fairly robust.

vapirtoo

Nobody mentioned Vapir's Prima portable.
An old ( 65 ) combuster friend picked one up and he is very happy eventhough he had a warranty issue that was resolved quickly.

subway13029

I say mighty and the vivant (which I have cannot compare to the mighty.. for 1 most people are using s and b tops to even operate their vivant.. they haven't even got a top cap right...and the battery life is a joke..even with user replaceable..it gets hot too..to say that the mighty loses potency in its hits?? I've had the milaana and hosts of other vapes and no way do they get me higher?? I have used and owned most of the vapes on the market today and still use the mighty as my portable heavy hitter..to me the grasshopper is very good but not reliable enough yet, and very finicky...the mighty is user repeatable heavy hitter and nice taste as well..

Top Bottom