Combustor vape

Tranquility

I have a friend who's birthday is coming up and I'd like to get him a vape, but am uncertain as to what he might like best. He has been burning the bush since the late '70s, so his combustion habit is strongly ingrained. He's tried mine and none have given him enough motivation to change. I'm hoping that having his own in his hand whenever he wants it might change his mind.

What should I get him?

1. He's older, but not old. A bit clumsy and not as flexible with his hands as he was when younger.
2. He's stubborn and, while smarter than I, is not going to power through any real learning curve on how to use or modify the device.
3. If it does not satisfy, it will get tossed in the trash. That includes any defect. There will not be an RMA.
4. He golfs and portability would be enjoyed.
5. He is not rigorous about equipment maintenance.

While he has used concentrate, his real use is in flower. A vape that can do both might be nice, but it needs to be great for herb.

My first thought was the Grasshopper. But, the threat of a manufacturing defect puts that off. Butane vapes have a learning curve and I don't think would work well with his clumsiness.

I think I'm leaning towards a Mighty. I am also considering a mod with a Saionara/Divine Tribes heater for concentrate and a Divine Tribes for flower but think it might be a bit too much to learn.

I understand push-button-huge-clouds-no-maintenance vape isn't really out there yet. What do you think might give Chester the Combustor a bad case of VAS?

chris 71

Hey oldnewbie , i find the dyna vape to be closet to combustion it can get your abv very dark and a good haul of it feels like smoke .

I know sac religious to say here but if your freind just aint gonna budge on combustion you could at least suggest maybe a genius pipe lol it may reduce harm even if only like half or something . untill they come out with tiny sharks with lazers vapes lmao

Tranquility

Hey oldnewbie , i find the dyna vape to be closet to combustion it can get your abv very dark and a good haul of it feels like smoke .

I know sac religious to say here but if your freind just aint gonna budge on combustion you could at least suggest maybe a genius pipe lol it may reduce harm even if only like half or something . untill they come out with tiny sharks with lazers vapes lmao

I like the theory, but, isn't there some learning curve for the thing?

As for a laser-lacking shark combustion aid, he's got pipes. Lots. (He has the Protopipe I mentioned in the sharks with lasers on their heads thread.) When I first started thinking for him, I considered a silicone bong as he breaks any glass that comes near. But, I think he likes the burn in the throat feeling that comes from a hot hit. It is something he has associated with using for years. Damn you BF Skinner! If it gets down to getting him a combustion device, I suspect we are going out for Brandy and Cigars after a good meal instead as cooling the smoke is not something high on his priorities.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
There isn't much of a learning curve for a vapcap imo.

1. Heat until the clicks
2. *click*
3. Stop heating, begin drawing
4. *click*
5. You may resume heating again.

I'd definitely say get him to try an M, at the very least.

As long as you heat the cap correctly (thus giving even extraction and a good hit) I don't think it will be too hard to make a convert, unless he's REALLY stuck in his ways.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I've only just recently tried VapCaps. I'm not sure which gen tip I had originally tried, but I have a 7fin tip now and my VapCap has no carb. It's as simple as I described.

There is draw resistance obviously, but the VapCaps that DV sells will have carb holes, allowing you to pick and choose how much or little draw resistance you please.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
The VapCap has improved a great deal since the OG and is a great vape to help transition from smoking blunts as it feels very similar.

It does however require a heating technique which most pickup within the first couple of uses but then refine further down the road.

If you want a battery vape suggestion I've been reading good things about the FURY.

Tranquility

A Vapcap is certainly on my personal agenda. (Maybe the Omnivap.) But, I have a few concerns in getting it for him.

One, is the size and heat. The "clumsy" is not just being clumsy, but a bit of joint stiffness in the hands as well. With a small cigarette sized device, it seems loading and unloading as well as the heating might be a little difficult. With a hot end that I guarantee he is going to touch at least once on accident, I have some concerns over how easy it would be for him.

Two, while heat, click and draw sound great, I've read a lot of the dedicated thread on the vape and it seems like there are some hoops to jump through to really have it work great. It's not just a learning curve on heating, but a learning curve on the best lighter and degummed hemp to use, etc. I admit my concern may be more rooted in knowing all the bells and whistles one can get out of the vape if you try rather than a real concern for the bare functionality.

Finally, when I said he was not "rigorous" about his equipment maintenance, I was really making a bit of a joke to myself. I don't think he changes his bong water--he just adds more when it gets low. I've seen him run an unwrapped coat hanger through the draw stem to make an air path through the tar in order to smoke. I know all vapes need more maintenance than that. It just seems like a bit of the Vapcap thread has some cleaning tips so, even though it might be less of a negative than most vapes, it still has some negative. My hope on thinking of the Mighty was to get him hooked before issues like a cracked cap came up.

Jethro

The nature of vaporizing means it will never EVER be as easy as simply lighting a bowl or a joint. It's much more labor and equipment intensive. If he isn't willing to make an effort towards that end, then I'd let him keep combusting. It's like Alcoholics Annoymous, you have to make that first step yourself. And I wish I could be more diverse here but the VapCap is the device that got me to quit combusting 100%. It is the least maintenence of any device I have, I don't think you really ever NEED to clean it, I just do occasionally. It's a slight learning curve to get good results but really quite easy. Yes, the end gets hot, but tell him it's like a joint, you wouldn't touch the end of that either. The lighter thing is the only tricky part, and that isn't really that hard. Loading it is easy, you don't even really have to grind your material, just shove a nugget in there. If you want a better experience than grind and put in a small canister, then just suck the VapCap like a straw to load the material.

Bottom line, there is no vape that will make a die hard combuster change his ways unless he wants too. And bottom line, the VapCap is the simpliest to own and use device I have seen yet. And one of the most effective.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
The nature of vaporizing means it will never EVER be as easy as simply lighting a bowl or a joint. It's much more labor and equipment intensive. If he isn't willing to make an effort towards that end, then I'd let him keep combusting...
Bottom line, there is no vape that will make a die hard combuster change his ways unless he wants too.\

So true.

4tokin

For this situation I would suggest something like the silver surfer.
It is so close to smoking, so it may sway his opinion. Whip only as glass is an issue. Again smoking related. The smoking thing mentally will be his hurdle.
There are few parts to worry about and nothing fiddly. Low maintenance.
Minimal learning curve.
I know it's not portable but if you can win the battle in the home then he will find his own portable.

I feel your frustration. I have friends who prefer emphysema over vaporisation. It's so sad.

Last edited:

Poostuff

Please delete
Your friend is going to be a bit of a pain in the ass to buy a vape for by the sound of it but I think your idea of a Mighty is a great option.
Of course he'll need to clean the cooling unit but as he won't clean anything you could maybe get around this by sending him a new one every couple of months until he decides if he likes it. It's the only way I think you could avoid any cleaning.
The vapour may not be hot enough for him & personally I think the Grasshopper vapour is more suited to a combustor's tastes but because you don't want it ending up in the trash if it fails maybe leave that one as it probably will.

There are a few of those black plastic looking Mighty type vapes out now I see someone has already mentioned the Fury. Maybe something a bit cheaper & smaller than the Mighty have you looked into any of those? They're all session vapes so I haven't tried any but I think they'd suit a golfer.

I was the sort of person who never wanted to stop combusting & I loved it. It's been 4 & a half years since I smoked but it took some of the more expensive plugins to stop me from ever wanting to again.
I hear some people can convert with just a portable but that wouldn't have worked for me.
I think the act of smoking is addictive but I feel vaping is not, it's more of a hobby I can take or leave.

I don't know if you'll give him VAS but I hope you can turn Chester the combuster with a gift of the right vape, it's very nice of you to try.

little maggie

As an older member I can say that the vapcap is easy to use and as long as your friend can use a butane lighter I doubt he will have problems. I had to give away the hammer because of joint issues. I never understand when I read about the learning curve because I tend to have trouble using some popular vapes like the vapman and had no trouble with the wood vapcaps. I did totally destroy the OG one- combusted so badly that the glass was impaired but I kept waiting to hear the click which I never did. I'm glad I tried again and got a wood one.
I think there are some members who really refine how they use their vapes like with technique, hemp, cleaning etc. They probably did the same when they used bongs.
I'm not sure how a cap can break on a vapcap since mine didn't even on the combusted glass one and if any would break it would be that one. No cleaning required. Just put some herb in the cap, hold the lighter near it and stop when there's a click. That really all that's required.
If he will change batteries you might consider the milaana or MVT. Also simple to use with minimal cleaning or upkeep. Not sure why the mighty is desirable but expensive if he ends up not liking it.

sickmanfraud

Since so many people here recommended the Dynavap vapes that I have renewed interest.

I am not interested in anything that requires a torch lighter. I have a long full beard
(think Duck Dynasty only I'm better looking).

I have seen comments that Ratchett has made an induction heater that has the vap-cap click in a few seconds.

Can anyone explain the device and give it a review?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Since so many people here recommended the Dynavap vapes that I have renewed interest.

I am not interested in anything that requires a torch lighter. I have a long full beard
(think Duck Dynasty only I'm better looking).

I have seen comments that Ratchett has made an induction heater that has the vap-cap click in a few seconds.

Can anyone explain the device and give it a review?

You heat the vapcap with the torch, it uses bi-metallic metal disks to alert you when the device is at vaporization temperature, then you take your inhale. You don't use the torch while inhaling, like other butane powered vaporizers, so the torch shouldn't affect your beard in any way whatsoever.

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
I understand push-button-huge-clouds-no-maintenance vape isn't really out there yet.
I guess you haven't heard of the Milaana. Instant on-demand convection. Glass stem with little to no maintenance other than taking a hot hit once in a while to clean the screen in the stem. Fully manual so there is a learning curve but it will satisfy even the most stubborn combustor if they give it a chance. Can get as close to combustion as you want with it (and even combust if you aren't paying attention) or get low temp super tasty hits. Works with concentrates as good or better than any vaporizer I've ever used as a bonus.

Last edited:

Tranquility

I guess you haven't heard of the Milaana. Instant on-demand convection. Glass stem with little to no maintenance other than taking a hot hit once in a while to clean the screen in the stem. Fully manual so there is a learning curve but it will satisfy even the most stubborn combustor if they give it a chance. Can get as close to combustion as you want with it (and even combust if you aren't paying attention) or get low temp super tasty hits. Works with concentrates as good or better than any vaporizer I've ever used as a bonus.
There is no way on God's green earth I'm going to give my buddy an unregulated vape.

I like the write-ups of the Milaana and have considered it for myself. Of course, I learned vape theory on the MFLB and know how to regulate temp to get what I want. Not only do I not think he could "get" it within the time needed before it gets tossed, but also I worry about any danger. Feathering the button would not be his style and combustion will happen with regularity. I'd also hate to have him go to Joe's Battery Shack and get a Soni battery without thinking about manufacturer and specs and just shove it in.

Tranquility,

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
There is no way on God's green earth I'm going to give my buddy an unregulated vape.

I like the write-ups of the Milaana and have considered it for myself. Of course, I learned vape theory on the MFLB and know how to regulate temp to get what I want. Not only do I not think he could "get" it within the time needed before it gets tossed, but also I worry about any danger. Feathering the button would not be his style and combustion will happen with regularity. I'd also hate to have him go to Joe's Battery Shack and get a Soni battery without thinking about manufacturer and specs and just shove it in.
The Milaana isn't as hard to use as some people like to make it seem. It was my first unregulated device and I have combusted a total of 1 time on the first day I got it out of probably 1000+ bowls since. You also don't have to feather the button, you can just hold it down and regulate temperature with your draw speed.

All that aside I understand why you wouldn't want to get someone who's used to smoking something they will have to mess with to get it to work right.

The Vivant Alternate has some issues but would be my second pick. It's basically a Crafty with an easily swappable battery that costs less than half. Pack bowl, set temp, wait for heat-up, rip. Doesn't get much easier and it can put out some massive tasty clouds. Works great with concentrate too.

The only problems with the Alternate are you have to do quite a few burnoffs to get rid of the plasticy smell, and the top cap cracks. 2nd issue can be remedied by getting a Crafty cooling unit and modifying it to fit or waiting for the v3 cooling unit from Vivant.

It may sound ridiculous to have to alter a brand new product to get it to work perfectly but IMO considering the cost and performance it's more than worth it.

Last edited:

sativasam

NO SMOKING
Get the Mighty, fill the bowl, press orange button, turn it to max temp 210c, put in his hand and he will be impressed.

It packs the biggest punch of all the portables, (i'd like to see anyone argue otherwise) and as such closest to smoking IMO; not due to nearlly combusting but because of the amount of thick vapour it produces.

Also it's so easy to use, it's dumb dumb proof. Filling tools and all. Charges super quick compared to other vapes, plus it's got an extra long cord so you can use it while it's charging.

In my experience the problem with giving smokers lighter based vapes is they usually vape until black and essentially miss the point of what it means to vape altogether.

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
i would even add a capsule holder with 8 pre-filled caps, to give him a start with as much convenience as possible - esp if he is the type that carrys pre rolled spliffs when going out
it is true KISS (keep it simple stupid) design, not like those "press small button 5x quick to turn on" designs (some people are not able to do that)

Top Bottom