Colorado Springs, here I come!

HighSeasSailor

Some of you may remember when I mentioned here that I had discovered the wonders of the Rocky Mountains, and truly fallen in love with the state after visiting. That was not hyperbole - shortly after that visit, my clan and I began making plans to actually move there.

Now, those plans have paid off, much sooner and better than we'd hoped. Due to fortuitous job transfers, I'm landing exactly where I wanted, right at the foot of America's classic fourteener. I can't wait to take in that sweet mountain air again, and start running on the hills, trails, and mountains, and forget the bland boredom of perfectly level pavement.

I'm aware that local laws in Colorado Springs do not permit rec sales; it appears that my nearby local options are Manitou Springs (which is practicaly part of Colorado Springs but I don't know what prices are like there, I'm guessing high), Pueblo, or Denver itself, for the time being.

Can anyone from the area recommend? I'd like to find a place that's reasonably close, reasonably priced, and has good shit.

See you in the mountains this summer! :wave::cheers:

hd_rider

Welcome to Colorado!

I'm a recent transplant myself, moving here from Wichita, KS last August.

Manitou Springs is the place to go to get your cannabis. There are two main dispensaries there, Maggie's Farm and Emerald Fields.

I myself have only shopped at Maggie's Farm and have been very happy with their full selection of flower, concentrates, and edibles.

I have not yet shopped at Emerald Fields but after looking at their menu today I think I have to stop on by!

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
Better off growing your own or getting a med card down south. El Paso County being med only really throws a wrench into the quality/pricing of the rec. market down here.

I just grow my own and go check these places out every once in a while though, so perhaps a regular customer might find things different. From my experiences though, never been very impressed with what I can find in the rec. stores compared to what I regularly found when I lived in the Boulder/Denver area about five years ago.

The overall quality of the recreational buds down south (imo) is just not as good.

Welcome to CO though, yall are in the closest big city! A mere two hours drive away from my current boondocks! :p

seaofgreens,
Reactions: CarolKing

hd_rider

@seaofgreens - I too am a grower and have a "Super Cheese Express" that just germinated.

However, I still like to go to the dispensaries to see what's available and to compare quality / effects against my home-grown stuff. Plus I like to keep about an 1/8 oz. or so of multiple strains on-hand just because I like the variety and will vape different strains depending on the time of day, mood, etc.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I'm coming to Colorado spring in a couple of weeks, I was under the impression that I can just walk in to a dispensary and buy rec weed.???
Is not all of Colorado fully legal?

As a tourist where exactly can I buy flowers and concentrate???

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
No, local governments (county government) are allowed to ban recreational marijuana as they see fit. El Paso County, (Colorado Springs) is essentially a bunch of "Focus on the Family," (Super-Christian) folks combined with military and prison staff for the majority of the population. There are of course cool people mixed in.

They can't bust you for having weed though, if that is of concern.

You can consume/possess weed legally anywhere out of public sight throughout the whole state... so whatever that means.

I think as a weed tourist, you would have the most fun visiting Boulder. The university is just letting out for Summer, so the town should be much less crowded, easy access to Denver down hwy 36, and the weed is probably the best in the state. It also butts up to the Flatirons, which gives you a decent taste of the Colorado outdoor scene. Always loved Boulder in May.

HighSeasSailor

I'm coming to Colorado spring in a couple of weeks, I was under the impression that I can just walk in to a dispensary and buy rec weed.???
Is not all of Colorado fully legal?

As a tourist where exactly can I buy flowers and concentrate???

You can certainly possess and consume in Colorado Springs, and there are local retail shops (in Manitou Springs, which is also where a lot of points of tourist interest are located and is honestly worth checking out in general because it's a beautiful little area). If you're flying in and want to sample dispensaries, the Denver metro is where the overwhelming majority are, so a day trip up there could be great. To the south, you've got Pueblo and Trinidad which both offer rec sales (I had good luck in Trinidad personally, M&M right off the interstate was friendly and had pretty nice stock) if you're coming from that direction.

Not an expert on the area, only what I know from research and a couple of trips.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Thanks for the knowledge shared...
I'm happy now, I'll be going to manitou springs so I'll be fine.
I'm assuming I'll still find a nice selection of flowers, concentrates and edibles?

Iv just ordered a new tiwoody after realising that you can never truly clean a vapcap...
So I'll be armed with my woody and my solo...

Should be ok..

It's a real shame that with the chance to try all these concentrates (which are unavailable unless I make them here), I won't have my evo and nail or a decent dab rig to try them properly....

But I'm sure my portables will surfice...
Looking forward to the garden of the God's, the mountains, lakes, and all the scenery you just don't get in the UK...
Oh and letting rip on a firing range....

America... fuck yeah.....

kellya86

Herb gardener...
If you are looking for someone to take custody of your CO vapcap after you're done.... just saying! :p

Didnt think of that .....
I wonder if I can't bring it home..???
Hmmm...

Didnt think of that .....
I wonder if I can't bring it home..???
Hmmm...

Should be ok with the vapcaps as they will in the checked luggage, in smell proof containers, within smell proof bags...

Edit:- just realised I'm having a conversation with myself... Ha, going mad....

Last edited by a moderator:

HighSeasSailor

Just an update, now that I live in the Springs I've done some research and had a little experience.

In the end, I decided to just drive to south Denver and pick up a couple ounces at a time. Manitou prices are among the highest in the entire state; Pueblo is a little cheaper but Denver is less than half the price and the same distance.

FWIW I liked my trip to Universal Herbs on Jason St in Denver. $125/oz out the door for eye-wateringly good cannabis, as low as $80/oz for select strains. Had no wait, budtender was very friendly and very knowledgable, product was being restocked as I entered and they weighed me out from the freshest bud. The only difficulty was choosing which strains I would take home, their entire stock smelled delicious.

I personally think it's only a matter of time before the retail ban in the Springs is defeated, and there's no putting the cat back in the bag. Until then I think I'll buy Denver bud, the deals up there are too sweet to pass on. Numerous other dispensaries through south Denver and Aurora have similarly impressive menus and deals, lots to choose from.

hd_rider

@HighSeasSailor - How's the parking there at Universal Herbs? Do they sell recreational or just medicinal? I went to their website but didn't immediately see anything in that regard. But their menu sure looks good!

I've been a loyal customer of Maggie's since I moved to outside of C.S. late last year, but based on your review of Universal, I think a little road trip is in order!

I've been following the C.S. City Council regarding the sale of recreational cannabis within city limits. Hopefully it goes through.

hd_rider,

HighSeasSailor

@HighSeasSailor - How's the parking there at Universal Herbs? Do they sell recreational or just medicinal? I went to their website but didn't immediately see anything in that regard. But their menu sure looks good!

I've been a loyal customer of Maggie's since I moved to outside of C.S. late last year, but based on your review of Universal, I think a little road trip is in order!

I've been following the C.S. City Council regarding the sale of recreational cannabis within city limits. Hopefully it goes through.

Universal Herbs does both recreational and medical in the same store, but it's two totally separate inventories and you can't buy from the med stock even at rec prices (the prices I mention are recreational - yes, $80 rec ounce!). They had a LOT of stuff that wasn't on the menu, but the same prices, and all of it was killer. I'm going to post pics of my buys there in the stash thread. As for parking, they have parking. Not much, but it's on an industrial street near downtown without much traffic, so it's not like you'll have to park at a meter or find a pay lot.

In south Denver, Sacred Seed and Sweet Leaf - Evans are both close to the interstate and their menus look comparably awesome, sporting heavy hitter strains at similarly low prices. I plan to check those out in the future.

BTW if you ever wanted to buy purple weed, seems like Universal Herbs makes a specialty of it, they had more than one strain with unmistakable purple hue. Another thing worth mentioning - the budtender could tell me the genetic background on the strains in stock, and allowed me to smell the medical strains as well, for curiosity sake, so very cool place.

HighSeasSailor,
Top Bottom