Coil-less Vape pens: Puffco Plus, Kandypens Gravity, Hypnos Zero etc - Which is best?

herbivore21

I have recently noticed that we have a few oil pens showing up that do not use coils. It is looking more than ever like we have portable e-nails as pens and I think I will need to dive in and check them out.

Now this thread is to ask: Who has used the Puffco Plus/Zero/Gravity and other coil-less pens (by coil-less, I mean there is no metal wire exposed to the oil that gets hot in the cartridge)? What were your experiences and which do you think is best?

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I went from a Source Orb 3, using a Divine Tribe 3 these past couple weeks. I've long preferred ceramic to coil based atomizers. Haven't used the other ones you've mentioned. Puffco Plus atomizer looks like the right direction but heard bad reviews about it. DT3 on a temp controlled mod is pretty sweet. They all seem a bit wasteful with material compared to a nail; I like to load one draw at a time if I can, best taste and most efficient that way IME. I really like the power from a mod, the ceramic atomizers need power to work well in my experience. When someone nails a ceramic cup with heated sides, great airflow, and no leaking we will be set. I love having a mod with battery life indication. For the price I don't regret my purchase at all. It's a huge upgrade over my Source, not perfect yet though.

herbivore21

I went from a Source Orb 3, using a Divine Tribe 3 these past couple weeks. I've long preferred ceramic to coil based atomizers. Haven't used the other ones you've mentioned. Puffco Plus atomizer looks like the right direction but heard bad reviews about it. DT3 on a temp controlled mod is pretty sweet. They all seem a bit wasteful with material compared to a nail; I like to load one draw at a time if I can, best taste and most efficient that way IME. I really like the power from a mod, the ceramic atomizers need power to work well in my experience. When someone nails a ceramic cup with heated sides, great airflow, and no leaking we will be set. I love having a mod with battery life indication. For the price I don't regret my purchase at all. It's a huge upgrade over my Source, not perfect yet though.
What bad reviews did you hear about the Puffco Plus man?

herbivore21,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Atomizers failing, bad airflow/clogging, battery getting hot, their Instagram blocking users mentioning faulty products.

invertedisdead,

herbivore21

Atomizers failing, bad airflow/clogging, battery getting hot, their Instagram blocking users mentioning faulty products.
Damn man that is some terrible shit! I have noticed it seems like some of the issues have been resolved and some of them appear to be from overloading material - but the heat issues are not reassuring!

So then I wonder, other candidates I am considering include the Kandypens Gravity and the Linx Hypnos Zero.

Is there some other contender that is better still? If not which of these in everybody's experiences here is best?

herbivore21,

killick

But I like it!
The Evolve+ gets a lot of use here. Haven't seen a Puffco unit tho. The batteries on both my Evolves failed fairly quickly (couple of weeks of use) so I picked up a Joyetech eVic VT battery and use that exclusively. So I have 2 heads, and 2 boxes of spare quartz coils that swap. Cheap and effective.

herbivore21

The Evolve+ gets a lot of use here. Haven't seen a Puffco unit tho. The batteries on both my Evolves failed fairly quickly (couple of weeks of use) so I picked up a Joyetech eVic VT battery and use that exclusively. So I have 2 heads, and 2 boxes of spare quartz coils that swap. Cheap and effective.
IIRC the Evolve+ is a quartz dual coil brother - this thread is for coil-less carts only ;)

Just realized for some reason I put the Evolve in the title of this thread, just changed that ;)

herbivore21,
Reactions: killick

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
They have a donut available for the Yocan. Check out the Divine Tribe v3 - fully rebuildable and completely ceramic. I'm running mine on a Joyetech Evic Basic.

image.jpg

invertedisdead,

herbivore21

They have a donut available for the Yocan. Check out the Divine Tribe v3 - fully rebuildable and completely ceramic. I'm running mine on a Joyetech Evic Basic.

image.jpg
I have read that donuts were not as good as the newer ceramic cup style carts? What are your thoughts on this?

herbivore21,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I have read that donuts were not as good as the newer ceramic cup style carts? What are your thoughts on this?

AFAIK the cups still only heat on the bottom. Some companies claim the heat is more evenly distributed and will cause oil on the sidewalls to drip down and vaporize but I've read others say it doesn't. Getting concentrate off the side is the challenge with all these pens IMO, oil on the bottom is easily vaporized. The divine tribe is large enough though that you can load without getting your material all on the side like those smaller atomizers. That's what I like about it.

invertedisdead,

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Damn man that is some terrible shit! I have noticed it seems like some of the issues have been resolved and some of them appear to be from overloading material - but the heat issues are not reassuring!

So then I wonder, other candidates I am considering include the Kandypens Gravity and the Linx Hypnos Zero.

Is there some other contender that is better still? If not which of these in everybody's experiences here is best?
The Kandypens Elite is the newest coilless ceramic pen released. @AVENTUS has made comparisons for the top three which are the Elite, Puffco Plus and Hypnos Zero. I say these are the top three because they all have sealed ceramic dish/cup atomizers supposedly. Now I have not tried the Hypnos Zero or the Elite and I am curious as to how they provide a completely sealed dish/cup with a ceramic plate inside the dish. A wire has to penatrate the dish somewhere to get to the ceramic plate heater.

I rate the Puffco Plus tech as the best despite its down falls simply because the design is more idea. You have a ceramic dish/cup that is heated from the underside so no oil/wax ever touchs the heater directly and there is no penetrations for wires. The flaw to the Puffco Plus is the airflow design and I am not exactly sure what the right solution will be. The air holes are only about 4-5mm up the cup which limits your load size. There are only 3 holes and they are very tiny so airflow is limited. The dish/cup is surrounded with a steel mesh which is great to collect and cooked oil that may go through the air holes. It also helps with heat retention along the walls I presume as I can load the stickyness on the walls directly and it will all get down to the bottom of the cup after a couple hits. It doesnt cling to the walls like it does on my Yocan Evolve atomizers or climb them like it does in my Source nail atomizers. All in all the Puffco Plus is pretty awesome IMHO. Flavor is top notch every hit. If you want more of a subliminal hit, it is the only concentrate pen that offers a dabber tool which can be used as a time release so you can get the dish hot before the oil touches it. By the time the dish is hot the concentrate is dripping off the dabber tool into the bottom of the dish. This is great for the ultimate one hitter or dab like hit.

Oh yeah...no cool down hits needed for the Puffco Plus either!

I have also had the pleasure of dealing with Puffco support even though I bought my device at a LHS. There was no hassle and they were quick to both respond and replace my defective battery. They even gave me a 15% discount code. I ordered 2 more attys with the code and they only sent one. I emailed the support team and with no hassle I had another atty in the mail by the end of the following day. I asked for extras but couldnt get any so they dont give their shit away, but they do seem to honor their products and service.

@AVENTUS has mentioned that he prefers the Elite out of the Elite, Zero and Plus. He has modified the Puffco Plus attys to add airflow but still liked the Hypnos Zero over the Plus. And last he mentioned he liked the Elite over the Zero because it has a larger capacity. He is a flavor chaser like you and I tend to be.

Edit: Divine Tribe is just a donut coil, however I believe they offer a cup option or he was looking into it. Mr. Bald T is another atomizer that uses a cup and similar atty to the DT. Never tried either cause I dont like the donut experience and the cups look way to shallow. They do seem to provide a larger surface area, however the shallow wall height has kept me from buying in.

Last edited:

herbivore21

What is the difference between the Kandypens Gravity and Elite? I see some vendors have one but not the other available?

herbivore21,

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Elite is the newest, it was just released in November I think so not many places carry it yet and those that do are limited I believe. I am not sure on the differences other than the Elite has a deeper chamber I believe.

nosmoking,

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
What is the difference between the Kandypens Gravity and Elite? I see some vendors have one but not the other available?

I think the Elite and the Gravity are virtually the same other than the skin and the chamber depth. At least that is what I heard.

Silat,

herbivore21

I think the Elite and the Gravity are virtually the same other than the skin and the chamber depth. At least that is what I heard.
Are the carts interchangable between the batteries? Are all of these pens the same 510 thread btw?

herbivore21,

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
Are the carts interchangeable between the batteries? Are all of these pens the same 510 thread btw?

You mean the atomizers?
If so I know by looking at the accessories page https://www.kandypens.com/ that they are 510 threaded and some of them are compatible with other models.
Example of the Elite ceramic coilless atomizer:
  • 510 Thread Compatible
  • Cross Compatible with Galaxy & Donuts
Example of Gravity ceramic coilless atomizer:
  • 510 Thread Compatible
  • Cross Compatible with Galaxy & Donuts
That is all I know herbivore21.

And the Pens game tonight was one for the books. 7 to 7 at the end of regulation. Pens win in overtime.

Danksta

I'm currently using the DT3 and love it. The rebuildable atomizer is really a game changer imo. If you end up needing replacement donuts from wear and tear they are about $4 a piece. Easy to keep clean and give consistent tasting hits once dialed in with a mod. With the FC coupon it's really cheap too. It's the unit that got me back in the pen game. I grew tired of buying new atomizers monthly. Pens are a total drain on the pocket. The rebuildable is much easier on the wallet and my taste buds haven't been happier.

They are also a company that I feel is worth supporting.

The only other option that kinda intrigues me is the Source Terra 2 w/ heated walls.

Divine Tribes also has a cup in the works, but no ETA.

splitz

I went through both the puffco and kandypens utilizing ceramic donut attys before stumbling onto the Saionara by Humboldt Vape Tech.

Though not a pen, the Sai is an excellent product at an attractive price point. Worth checking out!

I have recently noticed that we have a few oil pens showing up that do not use coils. It is looking more than ever like we have portable e-nails as pens and I think I will need to dive in and check them out.

Now this thread is to ask: Who has used the Puffco Plus/Zero/Gravity and other coil-less pens (by coil-less, I mean there is no metal wire exposed to the oil that gets hot in the cartridge)? What were your experiences and which do you think is best?

Last edited:
splitz,
Reactions: Danksta

Danksta

I went through both the puffco and kandypens utilizing ceramic donut attys before stumbling onto the Saionara by Humboldt Vape Tech.

Though not a pen, the Sai is an excellent product at an attractive price point. Worth checking out!

Which Miracle coil do you prefer?

Danksta,

bubbha ho-tep

SlowTokeMcgoats
I haven’t bought a pen since the source orb came out with them donut attys, the beef I had with the donut attys was the wax would always end up underneath the donut. So once I started catching wind of these new plate attys coming out I was like ya they must of figured this shit out! so I bought me a Linx Hypnos zero. After using that for about a week I’m still dissatisfied with the design. Don’t get me wrong it’s definitely an upgrade from the source Terra’s donut but because the ceramic disk is slightly raised in the cup all my wax just runs off to the side and collects in the grove created by the raised disk and the sides of the plate don’t get hot enough to completely vape that extra wax. The airflow on the Linx is so on point tho.
Then I see the puffco and think damn that’s gotta be it!
Then proceeded to read about all the clogging and DOA issues and I just don’t want to commit to something with so many potential issues.
Now the one I am currently intreged about now is the kandypen prism plus witch also features the ceramic disk but this disk actually looks like it is recessed into the bottom of the ceramic cup so that it is Even with the floor of the cup?
Can anyone
Verify this?
Also I’d like to know more about the source terra 2 with heated walls and the sai Pico kit looks interesting as well.
I just want to get a pen that has an all ceramic chamber , doesn’t waste product, and has great airflow! Is that so much to ask! Lol

bubbha ho-tep,

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
FWIW, for a pen, which i don't hold in high regard as NO pen even comes close to my nail experiences, i Love my Puffco plus, once i cut my load size down by about 75% it works great as a single hitter, I do have to reload it every time but the flavor (again, for a pen) is great and once i used less material...the function has been great. I would agree the airflow is the biggest issue, I wish they could somehow figure out how to make the chamber a sealed low pressure zone but I think further revisions of their gear will be even better. You can pick them up for ~$70 with 2 buckets and although you can pick up some generic 510 batteries for <$10 and carts for pretty cheap, I feel the plus is a much better investment then the cheapies

MyCollie

Anyone have the Puffco+ and Linx Hypnos Zero? Or Kandypens?

I have the Linx Blaze and the vapor is "whispy". I use the Sai/Sequoia but I'm really not thrilled about using a box mod. Maybe I'll try the Blaze again with crumble. I've tried it with wax, shatter, and rosin - all were "whispy". I'll give it another go - maybe I did something wrong, who knows.

MyCollie,
Top Bottom