Coconut Oil, maximum amount of cannabinoids absorbed?

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find it with a search.

I'm trying to see if anyone has an idea how many cannabinoids coconut oil can absorb before it's fully saturated and no more can be carried.

I would like to make some super concentrated coconut oil, so I could cover some bud, infuse it. Then remove that bud, and place new bud into the same oil and repeat. Just wondering at what point it's a waste, because no more is being absorbed.

Thanks for any insight!

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I guess no one knows. But it stands to reason, after making a very concentrated batch (say, 3 oz bud to 16 oz coco), a person could add decarbed concentrates to beef it up even more. Kind of like adding neutral spirits to beef up wine.

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
I guess no one knows. But it stands to reason, after making a very concentrated batch (say, 3 oz bud to 16 oz coco), a person could add decarbed concentrates to beef it up even more. Kind of like adding neutral spirits to beef up wine.

Good idea.

I guess maybe a better question for people would be, what's the highest ratio of bud to coconut oil you've used in your infusions?

3oz of bud (assuming fresh, not AVB) to 16 oz of oil seems like a very high ratio, and higher then what I was previously using. So even anecdotal stories like that could be helpful in at least starting the search.

Thanks!

shark sandwich

"shit sandwich"
Accessory Maker
@Roth

Have you considered using concentrate instead of flowers? You could make the concentrate yourself- it wouldn't be tough to turn an ounce of flower to rosin- and you'll get the highest quality, with returns nearing 30% with the right material and technique.

You can use up 1/3 concentrate when preparing a coconut oil and concentrate mixture. This would be the most potent and highest quality (full spectrum, contaminant free) coconut oil possible. Depending on your preferred dosage, you may not want to make it as strong as possible.

The average edible dose ranges from 50 to 100mg, which means a single gram (or ml- the density of hash oil is about 1g/ml) of rosin should give you 10 to 20 doses. With the strongest ratio possible, a dose would be 1/6 to 1/3 of a ml, or about 3-7 drops (there are ~20 liquid drops/ml).

A good ounce of flower will yield 4-8 grams of rosin, which will provide between 40 and 160 strong edible doses.

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
@Roth

Have you considered using concentrate instead of flowers? You could make the concentrate yourself- it wouldn't be tough to turn an ounce of flower to rosin- and you'll get the highest quality, with returns nearing 30% with the right material and technique.

You can use up 1/3 concentrate when preparing a coconut oil and concentrate mixture. This would be the most potent and highest quality (full spectrum, contaminant free) coconut oil possible. Depending on your preferred dosage, you may not want to make it as strong as possible.

The average edible dose ranges from 50 to 100mg, which means a single gram (or ml- the density of hash oil is about 1g/ml) of rosin should give you 10 to 20 doses. With the strongest ratio possible, a dose would be 1/6 to 1/3 of a ml, or about 3-7 drops (there are ~20 liquid drops/ml).

A good ounce of flower will yield 4-8 grams of rosin, which will provide between 40 and 160 strong edible doses.

I have, and actually will be using concentrates in some recipes.

However, I'd still like to dissolve any concentrates that I use in coconut oil, to help increase bio-availability.

Going to be making some gummies, and was wanting to use the least amount of coconut oil possible since virtually no recipes use a fat of any kind. I'm planning on doing a QWET on some decarbed bud, and then dissolving the purged concentrate in coconut oil to use in the gummy recipe. Going to make a few test batches with plain coconut oil to see how it affects taste/texture.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions everyone!

Monsoon

I would like to make some super concentrated coconut oil, so I could cover some bud, infuse it. Then remove that bud, and place new bud into the same oil and repeat. Just wondering at what point it's a waste, because no more is being absorbed.

It's a waste on the first repeat but for a different reason: oil loss. When I used to use bud for coconut oil extractions, I'd lose about 20% of the oil due to it being stuck in the previously dried bud and that's active oil. First run you only lose the cannabinoids from that batch, but every repeat you'll lose more and more potent oil each time. You can decrease the percent lost by increasing the amount of coconut oil you use but that's the opposite of what you want.

I make weed capsules regularly so I aim for potency so I don't need to take too many if I want a higher dose. Concentrates greatly simplified the entire process while simultaneously increasing the potency. I don't know the absorption limit but I'm currently using a ratio of 1g of shatter/QWISO per 10ml of coconut oil, each capsule is ~1ml and I usually take 1-3 at a time. I believe that works out to around 60-90mg per ml which is on the strong side.

Going to be making some gummies, and was wanting to use the least amount of coconut oil possible since virtually no recipes use a fat of any kind. I'm planning on doing a QWET on some decarbed bud, and then dissolving the purged concentrate in coconut oil to use in the gummy recipe. Going to make a few test batches with plain coconut oil to see how it affects taste/texture.

For gummies the solution is so simple if you have concentrates. I haven't tried this myself but this recipe is supposed to work great. Essentially go to the store, buy some gummies, melt gummies and mix in decarbed concentrate and then pour into molds.

sickmanfraud

Over on GC there is a forum under Medical uses and then incredible edible herb then to a sticky thread called Another Tincture Thread, try it you'll like it.

The OP is someone called PsychadelicSam. On page 242 of that thread he explains how to make something he calls Dragon Oil. Dragon oil is made to a concentration of 1 gram to 1 ml of coconut oil.

The extraction is done with cold high proof alcohol, then concentrated.

Basically this recipe is for a very bioavailable form of RSO.

The only change to The instructions on page 242 or any other recipe is that the decarboxylation instructions have changed.

New decarb is 240 F for 40 minutes.

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: Reflexion
Top Bottom