• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Clockwork/Wind-up powered vape?

ZC

I'm toying with the idea of building a very different kind of vape. Something that uses clockwork as its power source. Wind it up like a toy, and the spring and gears will create heat to vape your herbs.

My initial concern would be the basic physics. Can you put enough power into a wind-up mechanism to create the heat needed?

I'm imagining using a very small stainless steel bowl and using something to heat it up via friction but I'm having trouble figuring out what.

There is little to no practical use for this vape, so it's really just a novelty idea. But I'd like to make one if I can.

Very interested in any thoughts or ideas on this, especially looking for ideas on how to transfer power from a gear to heating up the bowl.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
My initial concern would be the basic physics. Can you put enough power into a wind-up mechanism to create the heat needed?
I doubt it. Here is a video of a cool device that makes light from gravity, but I don't think you'd ever get enough juice to power a heater for a vape. It takes far less energy to create light than it does to create heat. Still a pretty cool device IMO.

:peace:

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
No reason why you could use the clockwork mechanism to charge a battery. Something along these lines.
ZiUZreVm.jpg

@Stu what a great concept and you've got to love the phrase at 5:12. Excellent description I must admit to having ridden/driven quite a few 'bag o' nails'.

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Cool concept!
I concur that it would not seem to be possible to make a practical vape powered by clockwork, but you've already stated that practicality isn't what's motivating you for this vape.

Charging a battery (like phatpiggie suggested)would seem to be the most likely successful approach, but if it were possible to achieve vaping temps without electronics at all that would be even cooler IMO.

Since it's possible to reach combustion temps to light fires using nothing but friction, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to reach vaping temps.
I imagine it will require quite a lot of effort, and controlling the temp might prove difficult, but it would be as cool as hell to build such a vape.

Have you seen fire pistons?
Theyre very small and I'm sure they could be used to combust herb, but I can't quite think how temp could be controlled for vaping.

Copacetic

Like This?

DAMN!
OK, despite the somewhat peculiar operation of that vape I am VERY interested in it.
Is it made by Vapman?
I've been googling around, but haven't been able to find out any more.
Do you have any links? or did it first emerge on the 1st of April?

ZC

It seems to be made by vapman but I don't think it was ever "in production". I'm going to email them and see if I can get any more information as to how it works.

I'm glad it exists though, because it shows that what I'm setting out to do is within the realm of possibility.

nacho257

I do wonder if you could create some sort of chamber that was rubbed by a crank driven belt. Put bud in the chamber, turn crank to move belt, belt heats up chamber. It would definitely have to be very big, and I have no idea what you'd use for materials, but I feel like you could work out some pulley system to where it'd be possible

nacho257,
Reactions: ZC

Copacetic

Energy storage systems are somewhat inefficient, AFAIK the best ones are liquid/solid fuels and lagging behind (but with other benefits) electrical batteries.
I imagine that springs are pretty good too (?), but I think you might need a large and heavy spring to store the kind of energy needed to vape a bowl.

Are you thinking of a portable, or home vape?

I suppose a big spring could be primed via hydraulic/pneumatic means, or a simple lever/ratchet, but a pocket vape would have to be very clever to surpass that Vapman one.

As to temp control/indication, perhaps something like the Vapcap 'click' mechanism could be employed?
Simply apply elbow grease until the click is heard, then vape.

I wonder which materials could be rubbed together to produce heat without producing unwanted dust as a byproduct.
I suppose dust might be consumed by the friction action though?
Dunno.

Or perhaps dust could be allowed as long as it's kept apart from air intake/airpath/load.
Just a quick disassembly and blow to clean out dust.

Perhaps you could use friction to ignite charcoal?

Maybe a CO2 cartridge used to drive a friction or fire piston type mechanism?

Sorry, I don't mean to depart from your original clockwork concept, but I'm having trouble imagining a small spring being enough, even if it were 'charged' separately in a large efficient device for use later.

Copacetic,

OF

Fun idea, but as you guessed you're up against it I think. A human in good shape can be expected to produce about 1/15 HP for short periods. Human powered flight is based on this number IIRC. The good news is that's about 60 Watts, the bad news is to do it you need to use major muscle groups (basically peddling a bike). The 'coffee grinder' emergency radio generators run about 20 Watts full tilt IIRC and take both hands/arms. The one I had was disappointing in that respect. Running a small TV that way didn't work out well (at about 12 Watts).

Like the VM friction vape above, you'd have to work a while to build up enough energy for a hit......and by then you might be too winded to enjoy it? Best to charge a battery I think, and better still get your kids to turn the crank for you......

OF

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
Late to the thread. Was drawn by the muscle drawn vaporizer concept.

Bringing vaping to remote areas...

Now the African tribes can stop the 5 thousand years of traditional smoking, and get with the times with their very own vaporizer...
There are some primitive ones that use charcoal being next to the materials.:lol:

CuckFumbustion,
Reactions: ZC
Top Bottom