1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Cleaning the tubes.

Discussion in 'Vapor Related Equipment' started by SpiralArchitect, Nov 3, 2008.

1. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect ? & beyond

'Cleaning the tubes'
    :brow:

So, it's been so been as long as I can remember cleaning my tubing. I normally would soak it in iso and evaporate the remains, but I never liked doing that. I fear it damages the tubing and the drying process can sometimes take a while, not to mention the taste of ISO sometimes lingers in the extract/tubing.

Anyways,

So, I tied a tiny piece of plastic shaped like a plunger from a pen to a piece of thin galvanized steel wire and pulled it through the whip. It was such the perfect size that it basically squeegeed it all out.

[​IMG]

I thought it was so clever that I should pass the trick on. Maybe others have thought of it before, but whatever.... if anyone gives it a shot, let me know. :p I wrapped up the plunger thingie and put it away for safe keeping. :) Handy device.

[​IMG]

2. Hennessy1414

Hennessy1414 Terrorist

3. Beezleb

Beezleb Well-Known Member

Sweet

4. Clear_Dome

Clear_Dome Vaporhead Glass Blower

the chunk look sweet LOL the taste of your vaporizer should be way better too !! it's alway better to use a clean vaporizer ,nice tip cause most of the time I just change it for a new one

5. stickstones

stickstones Wasted Staff Member

Good stuff, SA. Someone had posted an idea like that, but those pics really help! Can you get a pic of the plunger and wire without all the good lovin' on it? I'm having a hard time conceptualizing what it looks like with the goo attached.

6. SpiralArchitect

Sure, I'll do that later today. :)

edit///

I thought I had to get batteries because they were dead. Found some.

Here are the pics. It's coiled up because I keep it in a cupboard with all my other paraphernalia. I've been trying to think of a common household item that might be like this, but I couldn't think of one. This came from the end of a pen, it's the 'clicker' part that you push.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fishing line would probably work just as well as the steel.

7. Dr. Dope

Dr. Dope Well-Known Member

i was wondering how you ran that though the tubes since your pictures from the first post weren't working yesterday, and i noticed you are using the silicone tubing which has more stretch to it

8. stickstones

stickstones Wasted Staff Member

Sweet, SA. Thanks for the pics!

9. SpiralArchitect

No problem. Just keep your eyes peeled, something should show up and will work as the 'plunger'

TBH, I think a walk through any hardware store and you could easily come up with something. Hell, maybe even a junk drawer in the garage....

a serious tool for the serious vaporist. :2c:

10. Zaireeka

Zaireeka Well-Known Member

Wow, I REALLY need to do this.

*looks for pen and thread*

11. vaporcloud

vaporcloud lurking kiwi

A screw or flathead nail should do the trick if the diameter of the head is slightly bigger than that of the tube.

^^^ Can't take credit for this comment tho ... Maxs idea I'm pretty sure. :uhoh:

12. Hennessy1414

Hennessy1414 Terrorist

I usually clean my tubes with a q-tip :o ....i like fresh greens/haven't saved up enough "hash" in the wand

13. vaporcloud

vaporcloud lurking kiwi

I've got a long turkey spiky thing that has a sharp edge and I simply scrap out the whiphash but want to try the other methods. The bowl I use is part of the ground glass setup for my vapordaddy and it has only straight edges and is real easy to scrap clean.

14. Zaireeka

Zaireeka Well-Known Member

Ok, I managed to get a screw through the whip last night to clean it for the first time, and I must say I was impressed with how clean it became afterwards. I had a bit of difficulty at first, because I didn't have anything that was string-like to tie the screw, so I ended up using a long piece of ribbon that was slightly longer than the tube. However, I couldn't get the ribbon to go through the tube without some help, so I had to straighten a coat hanger and use that to push the ribbon through. Overall it was much more trouble than it was worth (partly because you cannot make a hanger go completely straight). Next time I'm definitely going to make sure I use a string or something that would be much easier.

15. SpiralArchitect

Yeah, Zaireeka, a long piece of strong twine or string is essential to avoid headaches.

Good call on the screw Vaporcloud (or if it is max influenced, please, chime in dude!).... on Marijuana.com a member was asking about how to clean his vaporizing tubingso I linked him here. Another member, troublemaker_42, apparently has been using the same method.

Great minds think alike? :lol:

16. jklasd

jklasd Well-Known Member

hmm, mine didn't look like that, at least not that dark. what are the best options for this? obviously thats a rather dumb question, as i can think of saving it for hash and perhaps sprinkle some on top of a bowl, but id like some opinions on those who been vaping much longer then me and probably tested a few ways to see whats the best for it. thanks:)

17. VapourFighter

VapourFighter Well-Known Member

We have a small stick that fits in the tube and we wrap a paper around it. Put it in, rub it around and leave it there for a minute or two then take it out. Cleans it up really nice between sessions and they we use the paper and roll up a j. Works out great.

For major cleanings, it just goes into some iso for not even 5 min and then clean it out with a cotton swab.

18. The_Algebraist

The_Algebraist Well-Known Member

Did you vape that? If so, how was it?

:p

19. Xero

Xero Well-Known Member

I did this today and it worked out pretty well. The hardest part was getting the twine to go down the whole tube. I messed around with some twine and some silicon string in a clean tube. I got it to work with the silicon string but I noticed it was leaving little white specs behind in the tube. I was using a hanger that I had straightened out to push the string through. I would get the hanger all the way in through the whole tube then tie/hook the string on one end and pull the hanger back through.

So I had the great idea to get some hemp twine. I would rather smoke hemp than silicon. I went to my local craft store and found some really cheap. One other thing that I came across was hanging wire. I figured this might be a little better than the hanger. I got the cheapest wire (20 lbs strength) 9 feet of this was like $2.

When I got home I had some trouble getting the hanging wire to go through the tube. I ended up doubling the wire back on it self and this worked pretty good. I would think the heavier strength wire would work better. So got the hemp attached to a nice flat head screw and pulled it all clean. It was easy.

My shopping list was:

1) $2 - Hemp Twine you can find this at a place that sells beads check hobby shops
    2) $2 - Hanging Wire at least twice the size of the tube if you get the cheapest kind
    3) $0.40 - Flat head machine screw I got it a hardware store the package says
    Part # 82375
    1/4 - 20 X 3/4
    Phillips Flat Head Machine Screw

As far as I can tell machine screws don't come to a point. Which is good it won't cause you to puncture your tube. One of the best things that I did was do a dry run on a clean tube. It allowed me to try and figure a technique for when I had my dirty tube. I am very happy I did this. Seeing all the little silicon left over in the tube really concerned me when I did it the first time. Thank god for hemp twine.

Now if have a question. Most of the stuff I harvested didn't really look like resin. It was more of finely ground herb that was really really sticky. I haven't tried this stuff yet but I have 2 cleanings worth. Will this stuff still knock me out?

20. foolie

foolie Well-Known Member

Thanks OP, I was able to clean my stems at last!

21. daddygreenjeans

daddygreenjeans Med Card Holder

So guys, should we vape this whip leftovers (like pipe resin) or should we treat like wand hash and make hash etc outta it??????????? Anyone ????:D

22. 2clicker

2clicker up to my ears in clams Accessory Maker

im going to try this soon

i would imagine the longer the nail/screw the straighter it will pull through...?

ill try to get some pics up

23. JustinOG

JustinOG Zen Vapist

If it comes out of your vape it will knock you out. =]
    But pics in order to confirm it of course.
    Or because i just want to see it, either way. :D

24. jambolaya

jambolaya Well-Known Member

cleaning whip with vinegar? (merged)

I've seen people try to clean their whips with iso on here and have had bad results. I am wondering if it would be a good idea to pour some vinegar through the whip and then rinse it with water to make it look and smell fresh.

25. Nycdeisel

Nycdeisel Well-Known Member

No.

Just buy new tubing, I have tried cleaning the tubing, its not worth the time/effort.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors