Classic vs. Digital - Volcano Vaporizer Question

SmokinBrotha

Hello guys,

This is my first post on FC, I have been browsing and reading reviews on here for a little bit but have never posted. With the holiday season coming up, I am thinking about getting a vaporizer for Christmas, and I have my mind set on the bag style. My roommate at college just got a V-Tower and I like the bag much better, but I want to get the Volcano because I am set on it, and have heard good things about it. I did a search for this and couldn't find anything but:

I want to know what the pros and cons are of the Classic vs. Digital. I can afford both just by being patient and saving up, but I heard mixed things, and I don't want to waste my mind, but I want to get it sooner then later.

Any comments, suggestions, things to read, anything is fine..

Thanks guys,

SmokinBrotha :leaf:

SmokinBrotha,

Rin101

I have a little story to share:
I've never owned either one, but a friend of mine bought a Volcano digital last December, but within 6 days the heating element had failed :( He was really pissed, but he was able to send it back and get it replaced. From what I've read online, this is a fairly common problem with the digital version, but doesn't happen to everyone.

After he got it replaced, it worked like a charm :D It was the first vaporizer I had ever used and I'm so glad he let me try it

Rin101,

niall

SmokinBrotha said:
I want to know what the pros and cons are of the Classic vs. Digital.
I haven't used the Classic much, mostly the Digit, so just a few comments.

From memory the Classic's temperature accuracy is +- 5C vs. the Digit of +- 2C. Not a huge issue for most, but for me it's the biggest issue when deciding between then. I want accurate temps so I can replicate the same effects, I do a lot of experimenting at different temps - I've got a few fave temps but I am always tweaking things and finding interesting results from different strains.

The Digit's LED readout is fantastic, I'd much rather be referring to actual temperatures than having to translate from numbers on a dial and calculate what temp that matches up to - or you could just label your Classic dial ;-) At the end of the day if you don't care about tweaking the temp by a couple of degrees instead of larger jumps of 5-10 degrees, and you're not going to be comparing different vapes at the same temp to see how they compare etc. then not a big issue to consider.

Classic is a lot cheaper now than the Digit, big win if the issues above aren't important to you. You can probably pick up a secondhand Classic for a real steal these days.

It's a lot of money though, I would consider investigating other vapes to see if you really are set on a bag system. I've come full circle from the Vriptech to the Digit and now back to the Vriptech gear at home and an iolite when on the road, and I'm now considering selling my Digit as I don't use it.

What attracts you to the Volcano? Have you tried other styles of vape like whips, GonG compatible models, portables like the iolite or launch box? How do you normally use - joints, bongs..?

niall,

SmokinBrotha

Thanks for your response niall,

The first vaporizer I used was a normal whip non name one, that was an upgrade from the ones bought off Ebay. And then like I said above my roommates just picked up a V-Tower Extreme and I would much rather use the bag then using the whip. When using the whip I feel like I don't get as much vapor from the hits. I like seeing the bag fill up and I know that I am getting hits from it.

I have never used a Volcano but after hearing my friend talk about how nice his was, and also just seeing them on Youtube, I really like how they function. I want something that is simply, and has a bag. I also need something that is really efficient.

Now I only smoke out of my bong, so I have built up a pretty significant tolerance, and I need a vaporizer that is efficient and can medicated me a good amount. :lol:

I got all the money, and stuff, I guess I just want to be smart with my money, and research and talk to some people before I go out and spend all of that, because it will be an investment for me.

- iSmoker

SmokinBrotha,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
I like the classic, less to break and analog dials are back in style fusho.

bluntfaced,

lepstadder

Classic has longer warranty

Digital has a 2f degree more accurate temp

These are really the ONLY difference to concern yourself with if you are thinking about spending the extra money

IMO anyway

lepstadder,

lwien

SmokinBrotha said:
I also need something that is really efficient.

Now I only smoke out of my bong, so I have built up a pretty significant tolerance, and I need a vaporizer that is efficient and can medicated me a good amount. :lol:

- iSmoker
The 'Cano is a great vape, but efficiency isn't really it's strong suit.
Might want to look into the Purple Days or Myrtlezap if efficiency is at the top of your priority list.

lwien,

SmokinBrotha

lepstadder said:
Classic has longer warranty

Digital has a 2f degree more accurate temp

These are really the ONLY difference to concern yourself with if you are thinking about spending the extra money

IMO anyway
How much longer is the warranty? And is this a manufacture warranty or a store bought one?

SmokinBrotha,

SmokinBrotha

lwien said:
SmokinBrotha said:
I also need something that is really efficient.

- iSmoker
The 'Cano is a great vape, but efficiency isn't really it's strong suit.
Might want to look into the Purple Days or Myrtlezap if efficiency is at the top of your priority list.
By efficiency I mean that I need it to work, and be efficient and producing vapor. Start up time is really no problem, or how long it takes to blow up the bag.

SmokinBrotha,

jamesrock

niall said:
SmokinBrotha said:
I want to know what the pros and cons are of the Classic vs. Digital.
I want accurate temps so I can replicate the same effects, I do a lot of experimenting at different temps - I've got a few fave temps but I am always tweaking things and finding interesting results from different strains.
I feel the same way. If this is not of interest to you than the classic should be fine.

jamesrock,

chucku

Charles Urbane
The Extreme fills bags and does so very well. Fan assisted hits off the whip are also good for fully extracting all the good stuff. It is also fairly easy to produce an effective cap for Extreme bags. Without too much effort a new Extreme can be had for about $250.00. Also consider the Zephyr Ion. This is a fairly new model that has so far received very positive reviews. The speed it fills bags is truly amazing. It is priced at no more than $350.00 No point in paying more than you have to.

chucku,

max

Out to lunch
The Digit also has auto shut off. For $669 it should cook your meals too. :/

The Digit really isn't worth the extra over the Classic if you have to save up longer for it. You're more likely to have problems (thus the shorter warranty), and the slight difference in temp accuracy isn't worth mentioning.

Personally, if I were set on getting a bag filler, I'd take a hard look at the Zhephyr. Over $200 less than the cano Classic with an FC discount....

max,

SmokinBrotha

Thanks for your input max.

I think if I am still going to get the Volcano that I will def. be going with the classical.

SmokinBrotha,

Hobbes2

I have a 5 year old classic that works great and a 1 year old digital. I bought the second vaporizer because of the higher output air pump Volcano started using in 2006, not to get a digital. I thought long and hard about digital vs classic, my classic worked great and I didn't see the need for the temperature display. I bought a digital.

The digital is much better to use, watching the temperature increase so you know how long it'll be till you can vaporize. Takes the guessing out of waiting for the vaporizer to warm up, doesn't sound like much but it makes the experience better. I don't know how important the 3 degrees C difference in temperature stabilization is, probably not too much unless you're vaporizing at a low temperature, but the digital is a bit better.

My biggest concern against the digital model was the same as Lepstadder's, shorter warranty no doubt because of the digital controller and temperature display. Most likely they'll work for a long time after the warranty expires without a problem.

As for the Volcano vs other bag types, it is more expensive but it works phenomenally well and it's tough as hell. No glass. Some people love glass but if the vaporizer comes with two glass bowls it's probably because they break. Stainless steal fittings from the bowl up.

I've got the Volcano's, Purple Days, Silver Surfer, Launch Box and Iolite and the digital Volcano is the work horse. It's one thing I didn't mind spending more than it should have cost.

:peace:

Hobbes2,

trouble ethyl

I've had a digital for about 6 months now. I've had absolutely no problems with it what so ever (knock on wood). I think Hobbes2 hit it right on the head. It's nice to be able to see what the temp is at so you can judge when it will be ready. Although it's always under 5 minutes.

For me, I like to be able to tweak and play the temperature to get the exact results I'm looking for. Do i need it, no, but I prefer it to a dial with a bunch of numbers on it.

The feature I really like is the auto shut off. I've had the "oh shit, did i turn it off?" moment multiple times. I could probably leave it on all the time, but it's nice to not have to worry.

The way I look at it, you are already spending over $500. I don't care what it does, that's A LOT for a vaporizer. You might as well go all out and get the digital. I, however, was unaware that some units were failing until i stumbled upon this thread. If that really worries you, the classic might be a better choice. I'm 100% happy with my digital and if i could go back in time there's only two things I would have done differently. I would have gotten the volcano sooner and I would have gotten on the PD wait-list sooner. :lol:

trouble ethyl,

jamesrock

Bottom line is classic or digital you will not be disapointed. It really just comes down to preference. personally i wouldnt get the classic because i would find it frustrating just guessing what temp i am vapin at. Good luck and Peace.

jamesrock,

max

Out to lunch
jamesrock said:
i would find it frustrating just guessing what temp i am vapin at.
With the Classic you get a temp variance of 5 degrees C. With the Digit it's 1.5 degrees. So with either one you're still guessing at the exact temp. IMO the difference in accuracy between these two units isn't worth mentioning, unless you have OCD or are doing scientific experiments.

max,

trouble ethyl

max said:
jamesrock said:
i would find it frustrating just guessing what temp i am vapin at.
With the Classic you get a temp variance of 5 degrees C. With the Digit it's 1.5 degrees. So with either one you're still guessing at the exact temp. IMO the difference in accuracy between these two units isn't worth mentioning, unless you have OCD or are doing scientific experiments.
max,
i think what he is trying to say is that it's more easy to trust an lcd read out than the numbers 1-9 and a dial. can the lcd give you a false temperature? of course, it's probably more likely to give you a false reading. if the dial gets jacked or if it was never right in the first place you could be vaping at 460f when you think you are vaping at 375f. i agree that 5c and 1.5c isn't really a big difference, but i guess it's the OCD in me talking. :lol:

trouble ethyl,

WhispOfVapor

I have had classic for ~ a year now. Working great. I think it is easier to set the temp in classic, because you just crank it up to 6.5 (for example) and you dont have to remember exact temp like 180'celsius. Also I find digital a little ugly and not as stealth. Classic looks like a kitchen applience.
But like said previously, it's all about personal preferences, some may like the tech looks of digital etc. Pick either one, it won't go wrong. Bigger issue is choosing between ez or standard valve. I have easyValve. It's so easy to use that u can use it eyes closed. You can also easily change the bags, so you dont have to buy expensive originals. I havent used the older valve so cant really compare.

Built like a tank and good customer service from what I've heard. Also pretty efficient compared to smoking. I know there are more efficient vapes out there, but maybe this is easiest to use? And @ parties people will love it.

WhispOfVapor,

trouble ethyl

WhispOfVapor said:
I think it is easier to set the temp in classic, because you just crank it up to 6.5 (for example) and you dont have to remember exact temp like 180'celsius.
not to bust balls, but the digital remembers what temp you set it at last and when you start the heating element, it warms to that temp. i'm not sure how it works, but it even remembers when you disconnect the power.

trouble ethyl,
Top Bottom