Chronic pain patients: how do your manage breakthrough pain?

Spocks_Katra

Nerve pain is a bit different. The only nerve pain I have is from all the scars from my surgeries, they'll suddenly really really hurt and I can't do anything to it because even a gentle breeze blowing on them will trigger pain. I did find out that lidocaine patches are the only thing that helps. I have talked to an acquaintance about his nerve pain (from diabetes) and he shared the same sentiment about opiate painkillers not working and cannabis being better in general for it. Most my other pain is musculoskeletal pain (connective tissue, tearing tendons, joints going out of their sockets, etc), and for that opiates are basically the best thing. Hitting the receptors to turn the pain off works a lot better than cannabinoids do... which is why I try not to take them too much. Cannabis does help with the pain but it's just not on the same level and oddly enough sometimes it seems to make me focus on it more. Though with high CBD strains I can take half or sometimes less of what I would normally take in a day. Some days are easy enough that I won't take any, and I make sure to take a weekend off them every month. Breakthrough pain management involves taking a nice dab that starts working in a minute and some pain medication that starts working in half an hour. Insurance decided I don't need lidocaine patches anymore but I do have a small stash still so I will put those on wherever it hurts the most.

I use dabs as a fast acting medicine as well, I really like the CO2 oil cartridges though, those are the best for my flareups because my hands shake alot when im in pain so sometimes its hard to load my vapes or use my glass stems for my nano, with the co2 oil I can just use a tiny ecig and hit it in bed

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I have a lot of joint pain, but what cannabis really helps me with on a daily basis is anxiety and stress.

I don't believe that there is any such thing as recreational cannabis. I believe that it is all medical. If you use it to relax, chill, enhance mood, meditate, etc then it is helping you medically and you should be able to use it freely.

Spocks_Katra

I have a lot of joint pain, but what cannabis really helps me with on a daily basis is anxiety and stress.

I don't believe that there is any such thing as recreational cannabis. I believe that it is all medical. If you use it to relax, chill, enhance mood, meditate, etc then it is helping you medically and you should be able to use it freely.

but thats like saying alcohol is medicinal if it helps chill or enhance mood

I think marijuana has definitive medicinal value but not everyone uses it as medicine. I see it as a medicine when you take it like a prescription, you cannot skip your prescription for a day, but most people can get by without MJ and I would say the majority of people do use is purely to get high, for recreation

MinnBobber

I agree 99%. Almost all cannabis use is medical, for current medical diseases or prevention of future med problems or for physical, mental, emotional, spiritual well being = medical.

Steve DeAngelo feels the same and hates the term "recreational" as that de-values its use.
I use the terms "medical" and "wellness" for preventative medicine.

Not at all in same league as alcohol which kills thousands (cannabis kills zero) and only cannabis assists the body's endocannabinoid system which aims toward homeostasis ---the total body in balance

Spocks_Katra

I agree 99%. Almost all cannabis use is medical, for current medical diseases or prevention of future med problems or for physical, mental, emotional, spiritual well being = medical.

Steve DeAngelo feels the same and hates the term "recreational" as that de-values its use.
I use the terms "medical" and "wellness" for preventative medicine.

Not at all in same league as alcohol which kills thousands (cannabis kills zero) and only cannabis assists the body's endocannabinoid system which aims toward homeostasis ---the total body in balance

I wasnt trying to draw an analogy to the health comparison of MJ and alcohol, I suppose it was not the best analogy... I think MJ is a very safe plant that everyone can use, what im saying is that not everyone uses it medicinally. whether it is medicinally beneficial or not is not what I am discussing, its that some people dont even care about, or consider its medicinal effects, they use it purely for the psychological and physiological effects - not necessarily intending for any medical benefit

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I wasnt trying to draw an analogy to the health comparison of MJ and alcohol, I suppose it was not the best analogy... I think MJ is a very safe plant that everyone can use, what im saying is that not everyone uses it medicinally. whether it is medicinally beneficial or not is not what I am discussing, its that some people dont even care about, or consider its medicinal effects, they use it purely for the psychological and physiological effects - not necessarily intending for any medical benefit

True, but that's my point. For those that just want the psychological or physiological effects, why do they use it? To have fun? To unwind? I believe all these reasons help our minds and bodies in the long run and is just as medically beneficial as, let's say, going on a vacation. But that's just my opinion.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I wasnt trying to draw an analogy to the health comparison of MJ and alcohol, I suppose it was not the best analogy... I think MJ is a very safe plant that everyone can use, what im saying is that not everyone uses it medicinally. whether it is medicinally beneficial or not is not what I am discussing, its that some people dont even care about, or consider its medicinal effects, they use it purely for the psychological and physiological effects - not necessarily intending fIor any medical benefit
I was a recreational consumer of cannabis in my youth.
It was a cultural thing at the time.

I quit everything went back to school got a degree and joined corporate America.

For nearly a decade I was feeling strange?
I went to Doctor after Doctor try to find out why I was loosing my balance?

One neurologist in less than 1 minute said I have SCA.
He had me do a MRI to confirm.
Sure enough my Cerebellum was shrinking?

I quit my career and shut down my hobbies.

My wife is FRENCH and a complete fox.
She loves me regardless?

The DR gave me so many different drugs?

I eliminated 3 of them and cut two in half.

CANNABIS helped me to do this.

Here I am with a stapled head.

Last edited:

Spocks_Katra

thank you @ataxian this is what I was trying to say, like you said at the time, it was a cultural thing, and using mj was part of that, but whether it was used culturally or not, it may have helped your sca?

now we use it medically knowing the full benefits
if that makes any sense?

Top Bottom