Christianity and Weed

5446ThatsMyNumber

Hey what's up guys,

Did a search and nothing came up, so I have a question for you all. Did some thinking these days, and decided to take my belief in Christianity more seriously. Me and a bud were talking about the topic of weed, and came to the conclusion that it was considered a sin for at least two reasons.

1. 10 commandments - Honor your mother and father. Although I'm 22 and an adult, I know that my parents would not approve of me smoking weed/wouldn't understand (ie, I couldn't smoke in front of them, or have my bong sitting out in the open). However, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if smoking on my own/with friends consists of "dishonoring" them (ie, I still act rationally and appropriately).

2. Smoking weed, or being an advocate for weed could stumble other Christians. For this one, I guess I could be super private about it, or just smoke on my own.

It sounds like I'm trying to rationalize, and basically I am, because I love the herb, and everything it aids you with. At this point though, I either have to give it up, or come to peace with smoking it & my faith.

I don't want this to turn out to be a huge debate on God/religion, and I'd appreciate it if you could keep the flamming down to a minimum. Just wanted to see some opinions, especially if you consider yourself a Christian and still enjoy the herb!

5446ThatsMyNumber,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
Not sure about Christianity but I thought many religions use weed to open their mind to be able to come closer to their god. Following the same logic I do not see why you can not take advantage of the wondrous benefits of weed to also come closer to your god. How could any god not be happy with something that strengthens your faith in them?

DeepFried,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
It depends on how you relate pot with Christianity. You could be a practicing Christian and smoke pot on the side, and you would be adapting the laws of religion to your benefit which a lot of people do. The thing about Christianity is the inherent guilt it creates and fear of a God in those who believe. In the eyes of the Church, you would be breaking commandments, so you can take from religion whatever you like, really. The guilt is the reason that most people won't admit to their sins. If it's the taboo culture surrounding cannabis that worries you associating it with the church, look at the Irish. They're associated with being inebriated all the time and they're one of the most devout Catholic countries ever! (To be honest, I can't remember if Northern Ireland or Ireland is the Catholic one :lol:)

For what it's worth, I'm a 19 year old raised Catholic but consider myself non-practicing as of the past few years. Personally, I have some reservations about organized religion in general and feel it more important to be spiritually in touch with one's self and with others. After all, don't religions just teach us to all get along? If we treat others as we would like to be treated, are we not living the Golden Rule, spoken by Jesus Christ Himself? My bad habits have taught me to leave religion alone and allow those that respect it to fully appreciate it.

mattybass,

lwien

I'm not a Christian, but here's my take on it for what it's worth. One of the tenants of most all religions is that God created the heavens and the Earth and all that resides there, which also implies that He created the hemp plant along with all of its properties. Why would he create this if it was not to be used and explored. It would seem that the sin would be in overindulgence, gluttony if you will, and that holds true for just about everything.

Now regarding the commandment of honoring your mother and father, my feeling is that one can honor them while at the same time, disagreeing with them. I think the word "honor" and "respect" are synonymous in this context while at the same time, understanding that respect does not mean always being in agreement. One CAN respectively disagree. However, if you live under their roof, than abiding by their rules is synonymous with respect and honor, but once you move out on your own, you are responsible for your own sins and therefore, that concept of honor and respect changes a bit.

Anyways, that's the way I see it.

lwien,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

aero18

vaporist
Do you also adhere to the 4th commandment?

EXODUS 20:8 NKJ "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. (9) Six days you shall labor and do all your work, (10) but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates."

aero18,

Biggkatt714

If you read the Bible it says in Genesis 1:29... And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

That is all I need. :)

Biggkatt714,

Plotinus

I'm also not a Christian, but my understanding was that commandments in the "Old Law" as they say were all subsumed by the redemption of Jesus. Meaning that as long as you affirm belief in Jesus, you are sin-free. Wouldn't that make your concerns about honoring Mom and Dad sort of moot?

As for the stumbling block part - that's something Jesus said, yes? Are the things that Jesus said all considered commandments? I don't know what their status is, at least in your brand of Christianity. I took them more to be like guidelines, but I'm a Jew so I take my "commandments" distinction pretty seriously (though I break them all the time, coming and going.)

Plotinus,

Plotinus

Biggkatt714 said:
If you read the Bible it says in Genesis 1:29... And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

That is all I need. :)

Well, that would be pre-Fall of Man, so I doubt it would be relevant to practicing Christians. Who knows though.

Plotinus,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
"And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham." (GEN 22:1)

"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God; for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man." (JAS 1:13)

Maybe God is fuckin' with us... He can't even keep his own story straight.

Stu,

thedeserttortoise

Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: Luke 6:37

Theologically speaking... I've never been a true adherent of any organized religion. But that said, I do find myself to be spiritually inclined. I've read the Bible twice, and am half way through the Koran as we speak. I can't say that I'm ready to adopt either at this point. I do respect your thoughts and I have to agree with most here that you won't be dishonoring your parents or god by your actions. Your question is the answer. Your respect for both god and your parents is shown by your awareness of your own beliefs. How you decide to act upon it is the next measure. If you would like some help, there is a great documentary called "Lord, Save us from your follower's". This is a very pro-christian film that shines a light on the divisiveness that Christianity has brought to many of it's followers.

If you can, sit down with your folks and watch this film together. As a person who had begun to despise Christianity to some extent (my friends are always trying to convert me), this film opened my heart to the true Christian premise... to love and accept each other as god loves and accepts us. I think you'll find that your question isn't so difficult to answer.

And by the way... I myself have been trying to get my head into some advanced physic's. Specifically Quantum mechanic's. In my search for information I have come across a book called "The Dancing Wu Li Masters" by Gary Zukav. In it we cross the realms of science and enter the realms of philosophy and theology. It seems that advanced physic's end up becoming a lesson in theology and different philosophy's because of the mere fact that at the quantum level, nothing is really observable. Hence, faith plays a predominate role in understanding the basic function of the universe. SO.... as it turns out. Spirituality may play a bigger role in life than some of us might like to admit.... jeez, I hate it when something new come's along and upsets my perfect balance.. :)

Good luck on your mission.... Tortoise

thedeserttortoise,

djonkoman

personally I'm an atheist(even slightly anti-theist, I went to a christian elementary and was raised christian wich made me hate christianity, but that's a long while ago now, but I still hate religious fanatics, but I'm okay with regular believers)

I think spirituality and faith is such a personal matter that you can adopt anything into your belief, since it is what YOU believe, not some man in rome or some men in the middle ages(luther, calvijn)
and since the bible can be interpreted in so many ways, it has even a lot of contradictions in it, it doesn't really matter how you interpret it, it's not like a lawbook wich is well outlined but more a work of inspiration wich brings various ideas to the attention of the reader(partly in educational stories like a lot of the stories about jesus and the stories jesus told, and partly in more direct words like the 10 commandments)
but what you have to remember is that the bible is written in the spirit of that time, so it doesn't fully aply to our modern times, and there were originally a lot more biblebooks, a lot got eliminated in a sort of idols-election in the early church(there was even a gospel of judas in wich judas was the good guy, the only one trusted by jesus to know the terrible faith jesus had to undergo to wash away everyones sins, and the chosen one to make this happen)

and about the 10 commandments, don't forget even jesus broke one of them and said you don't have to take it too literally(the storyu where he and his apostels go into the fields and then jesus plucks some manna or weat and grinds it between his hands and eats it, this was on the sabbath)

djonkoman,
All human beings are fallible. Knowing that, you should realize that all forms of religion should be thrown out having been conceived by human beings. Even if a archangel, burning bush or flying spaghetti monster appeared to YOU personally, you still have to acknowledge your own fallibility in believing having saw it, whether or not you interpreted it right, whether or not you yourself actually exist, etc..

Organized religion is a massive laugh. It had a place when we were all beating together stones, as a way to unite people and create a social structure that people would adhere to - not because they knew intellectually that not murdering and inbreeding was bad for the culture, but because they thought they would end up in some form of "hell," and not necessarily in the Christian sense. Now that we all know the reasons not to F our sisters or stab each other in the head, they're needless.

Let's go back to dirt. If WW3 popped off and we found ourselves in a nuclear wasteland, I'd probably establish myself as the godhead of a rural village, and I'd make sure no one F'd their sister or stabbed each other in the head. The sheeple could be relieved of their intellectual burdens by my autocratic religion/society, and I'll just help myself to their prettiest women and tastiest smoke.

Religion, like all things people do, functions. It functions to relieve people of their own fallibility. It relieves them of their own fear of death, of their own fear of being wrong, of their fear of never seeing their dead mothers or fathers or sons again. These are things that was as intellectual creatures NEED to deal with, and religion is completely counterproductive in actually processing them.

I'm really vaped right now and am sorry if I offended anyone. I was raised protestant in a family of bible thumpers and missionaries and I just feel like vomiting sometimes when one of them turns on - no personal responsibility, all the arrogance of ancient Rome.

charliedontsurf,

lwien

Guys, the OP stated, "I don't want this to turn out to be a huge debate on God/religion, and I'd appreciate it if you could keep the flamming down to a minimum. "

He looking for an answer to solve his dilemma and I don't believe that invalidating his core beliefs is the way to go here.

lwien,

Egzoset

Banned
Perhaps this will suit the initial poster's intent better:

1) He's assuming all parents behave the same regarding cannabis, this is not true.

2) He's assuming all societies behave the same regarding cannabis, this is not true.

Egzoset,

Brother Brigham

King, Priest and Ruler over Israel on Earth
Hey brother thatsmynumber, this is my area. I actually have started using cannabis to help with my transition OUT of christiranity. For whats it's worth, don't take yourself so seriously...and don't take god so seriously. Be a cafeteria christian, pick and choose what best fits you and what makes you happy...ditch the guilt it isn't helping you or anyone else (parents, your god, etc.). I am happy to get deeper with you if you'd like...just email if yant.
To the rest of you, repent, the coming of the lord is nigh...

Brother Brigham,

crawdad

floatin
if it was legal all over and not controversial to all (secular and other) would you be questioning it as being against your religion?

and as it relates to your religion is any herb or plant banned from consuming? there is your answer, hopefully. you can alter your mood/thinking in many ways, the rules you seem to be applying to your belief are man made not based on divinity.

"Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another."

crawdad,

Revvy

Romans 13: It's a sin to break the law; buying/having/consuming weed is breaking the law; ergo smoking is a sin.

Revvy,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Here is the laymans (my) way of addressing it -

What MAN says or what GOD created?
And
You cant tell someone they are going to burn in hell without "burn" - You dont tell people that they are going to vape in hell, so that tells me that the BURNING is the cardinal sin.
That is all

AGBeer,

aero18

vaporist
Revvy said:
Romans 13: It's a sin to break the law; buying/having/consuming weed is breaking the law; ergo smoking is a sin.

"Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves."

aero18,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Revvy said:

Ok then, if that is the case, how does this scripture (that was quoted previously in this thread) work with that then?

Genesis 1:29: "And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed...."

Cannabis comes from a seed that bears herb. ;)

IMO, this whole subject is a conscience matter between the individual and God. :)

Vicki,

Revvy

Vicki said:
Revvy said:

Ok then, if that is the case, how does this scripture (that was quoted previously in this thread) work with that then?
The command to not break the law here supersedes the passage you quoted. It is important for the people of God to be seen as lawful and respectable. Someone engaging in illegal behavior is not the kind of person God wants representing him.

Revvy,
aero18 said:
Revvy said:

"Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves."

Few bible passages tell you so blatantly to eat the corn bread. So were the ruling authorities in Nazi Germany and Imperial-era Japan placed there by the mandate of god?

And no one wants to sign up for my post apocalyptic cult? Nuts.

charliedontsurf,

lwien

Revvy said:
The command to not break the law here supersedes the passage you quoted. It is important for the people of God to be seen as lawful and respectable. Someone engaging in illegal behavior is not the kind of person God wants representing him.

Does this also pertain to Jesus, for He also engaged in illegal behavior, did He not?

lwien,
Top Bottom