Chinese made products......

lwien

What prompted this this thread was the recent discussion in the SideKick thread in regards to the SideKick being made in China.

So..........I have a question for ya but I need to put it into the right context. We all know that China is king for producing inferior knock-offs of name brand product. We all know that government oversight in China with regards to the health aspects of products such as these are minimal at best. But.........when you get out of that arena and get into the arena of products that are sub-contracted in China by US owned companies who provide QC oversight of that product, it becomes a whole different ball game.

So, with that in mind along with the recent conversation in the SideKick thread, do you STILL believe that all product manufactured in China is inferior to products made in, say..........the US or could it be possible that some of that Chinese made product could actually be superior to some US made product?

Last edited:

TeeJay1952

Or is it like racism. Ya gotta walk up and talk to the guy (examine the product)?

TeeJay1952,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I think some Chinese made products are great.
I think parts made in China and brought here for assembly is proper procedure.
Almost every vape made has a component or two ordered from China.
The discussions you refer to are not about Knock-offs... as much as complaints that some parts are manufactured in China and assembled here.
Yes some of China's work is superior.
When it comes to parts ... getting parts from China makes sense.
Knock-offs are Knock-offs and are improper whether made in China or in USA.
Chinese manufacturers also knock off proper Chinese products!

Last edited:

kellya86

Herb gardener...
China is not a byword for quality yet in my opinion, but they are coming along very quickly, look at things like the cars they produce, in 10 years they have gone from being awfull, to almost bearable, another 10 years and they may well be producing cars to rival the japs and Germans...

China is in its boom, it probably is the next superpower...

Cheap labour and lack of human rights has been their selling point so far, but I think that will change now as they continue to grow...

A bit of regulation is needed though, cause they don't give a fuck, like with the pollution they produce, while the rest of the world recycle and drive hybrid cars....

kellya86,

lwien

The discussions you refer to are not about Knock-offs... as much as complaints that some parts are manufactured in China and assembled here.
Yup. Totally understood that. The question that I am posing here is why the concern that some parts are manufactured in China because the implication is that because some parts are made in China, that the end product is inferior in some way.

China is not a byword for quality yet in my opinion, but they are coming along very quickly, look at things like the cars they produce, in 10 years they have gone from being awfull, to almost bearable, another 10 years and they may well be producing cars to rival the japs and Germans...

But when one considers how many parts that are used in US made cars are actually manufactured in China, the distinction between US made and Chinese made gets a bit blurred but yeah, I agree that in another 10 years or so, they will be a contender in the car market.

Hell, I remember when ALL Japanese made product was considered cheap and inferior.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I like to think if my Child was building me things he could build it really well with those tiny little fingers. Who's to say his Asian penpal can't build me a proper vaporizer????

All kidding aside, I work in the glazing industry and 15 years ago we said we would never outsource to China or South America. Now everyone I compete with is ready and willing to use them. Their product is the same quality product as the North American product however the consistency of the quality has always been the problem. This problem is quickly diminishing over the past few years as more customers from outside of China work more with China to set standards and expectations. I believe, we the consumer are making the manufacturer's in China better slowly but surely.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
The Chinese are mass production kings and can make anything you want to, to the quality standard you wish. The Chinese make as crappy of a product as the specifications and QC allow, because production volume is their focus.

When given high standards, proper working conditions and tight QC. Chinese workers are able to be good craftsmen just like anyone else on the face of this planet.

Enough with the racism and stereotypes. Ironically it's Americans that contract the shitty products coming out of China which causes the stereotype in the first place.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Is this turning into the old jap bike thread? Man I loved my 92 Honda nc30....giant killer....

Anyway this is about china.....

Who has a Hongda? ??

kellya86,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

lwien

Last edited:

kellya86

Herb gardener...
@lwien you have a very good taste in bikes, obviously I'm biased being from the UK myself.... I wish I could afford some real bikes.....

I've had friends who have owned Chinese bikes, they are unrefined and badly made, not to mention the performance...

kellya86,
Reactions: lwien

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
A T120 was the first bike i ever owned, it was an awesome bike in it's own right.

RUDE BOY,
Reactions: lwien

Maitri

Deadhead, Low-Temp Dabber, Mahayana Buddhist
do you STILL believe that all product manufactured in China is inferior to products made in, say..........the US or could it be possible that some of that Chinese made product could actually be superior to some US made product?

Heh, I never believed that. Believing that the best Chinese glass is not better than the worst American glass seems like typical (and classic) foolish Western/American hubris.

Jack Sprat

Yup. Totally understood that. The question that I am posing here is why the concern that some parts are manufactured in China because the implication is that because some parts are made in China, that the end product is inferior in some way.

But when one considers how many parts that are used in US made cars are actually manufactured in China, the distinction between US made and Chinese made gets a bit blurred but yeah, I agree that in another 10 years or so, they will be a contender in the car market.

Hell, I remember when ALL Japanese made product was considered cheap and inferior.
There is a reason middle class Chinese buy imported food if they can - they don't trust local producers. Do you think those producers making vapes for the Western market have a problem switching out solder or glues to something less safe if it increases profit? Doesn't really matter on your phone, but I think it does on a product that you heat and inhale.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Chinese manufacturers also tend to have multi tiered products & prices. They only make what people are prepared to buy. That is why so many chain stores own brand products look the same, just like a car they are specced differently.

You can get equivalent quality products in China to any western made consumer good. The problem is everyone wants that $1000 item for $100 & bitch when it is made to the cheapest standard possible. If you paid $300 for the product it will be very different.

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
My initial answer to
do you STILL believe that all product manufactured in China is inferior to products
is YES!

The reason I say this is watching the agony , heartache and amount of money my sister spends constantly having to go back to China due to quality issues and has had to move manufacturer several times because quality is inconsistent and it is near impossible to find a reliable producer of anything!

The amount of containers she has had to send back for damaged products due to poor packing or unacceptable quality control allowing unfit goods to be shipped.

Constantly having to go back to China to bang home quality control and what is acceptable manufacturing drives her nuts, costs her money and is even looking to potentially move manufacturing to Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia anywhere but China!

Just look at their track record for killing people by switching ingredient to make a few more shekels!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/world/americas/06poison.html?_r=0

http://www.sott.net/article/131528-...son-used-in-antifreeze-for-a-common-sweetener

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/24/b...-barrel-liquid-nicotine-for-e-cigarettes.html

h3rbalist

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too
Who has a Hongda? ??

Big Top Gear fan? ;)

I honestly think in this life you get what you pay for. Regardless of a manufacturers location.

One of my favourite sayings springs to mind here.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Top Bottom