• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Chiller for Vapes

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I'm just brainstorming here. Please share your ideas.

If the goal is to chill the vapor, then it would be more efficient to pass the vapor stream through frozen marbles if frozen marbles get colder than ice. I think the temperature of ice pretty much is 32 F (0 C). Glass marbles (or other glass pieces) may be able to get colder. Or maybe ball bearings & a cheap thermos (weight would be a problem).

It would be simple to use a wide-mouthed plastic water bottle or similar item, some tubing and some silicone. Should it work, it would be easy to have a few in the freezer. It could be insulated so as to retard warming.

Any ideas?

macbill,

stinkmeaner

the glass marbles are going to reach the temperature of the freezing method you choose, some deep freezers reach extreme temperatures but if you just put it your freezer the marbles will be no colder than the ice.

Maybe try putting the marbles in an insulated coffee cup surrounded by dry ice. Dry ice is extremely cold at -78 degrees celcius, if you do this make sure you use a ventilated coffee cup because the dry ice releases carbon dioxide gas in the air and will cause extreme pressure if completely enclosed.

stinkmeaner,
Reactions: as

wthanna

I highly recommend NOT sucking in air that is cooled to that temperature without further research!

wthanna,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Perhaps you're right: however, most everyone has been in a really cold climate one time or another and survived outside, and I doubt if any makeshift thing I could come up with would get as cold as 0 degrees.

Ice is probably still better, although I know crap about physics, maybe the melting speeds up cooling. What can I say? I'm a Bozo.

macbill,

Frickr

saltwater has a lower freezing point then plain water. has anyone ever experimented with this? i dont know if a saltwater bath would effect the taste any, i dont have a bong atm to try this out. :2c:

Frickr,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
Yeah don't use dry ice in your makeshift bong weirdo..

Yes, frozen glass marbles work better because there is no frost!

check out illadelph glycerin coils if you really wanna pimp your shit out and get it as cold as posssible

bluntfaced,

standaloneshell

I would just like to point out that water has been proven to capture certain pyschoactive compounds, thus removing some of the good stuff when used as a filter (ie: bongs, bubblers, etc). Passing the vapor over ice may have the same effect, just speculation...

standaloneshell,

masejl12

Yeah but its a very very small amount that gets captured, IMO its worth it. I have not noticed a decrease in my high since using my PD with my bubbler, maybe even an increase since it allows me to take bigger rips.

masejl12,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I have an ice shaver (I'm into sugar-free snow-cones). I'm going to jury-rig something up, just for fun. I am easily amused.

Here it is. A Jiff Peanut Butter Shaved Ice Pipe. I found it worked better filled with water & ice. I don't think it worth the trouble.
Jerry-riggedIcePipe.jpg

macbill,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
MacBill, did this work for you ? You say "Don't think it worth the trouble". Have you given up on filtering the PD through ice or water? I filtered my Vapor Genie through water and it seems worth the trouble to me but I am still at the "experimenting" stage.

Are those silicon tubes? Where can I get silicon tubes? Someone told me a medical supply place but will they sell to just anyone? How about sealing the tube around the hole - how did you do that, or do you just have a very tight fitting tube? Is there a source for rubber or plastic gaskets that would go around the tube to hold it tight?

Used to be that head shops carried all kinds of attachments and valves and gaskets and stuff but not anymore...

Inquiring minds want to know.

MoeOnTheMoon,

rotax

Zaporist
macbill said:
I have an ice shaver (I'm into sugar-free snow-cones). I'm going to jury-rig something up, just for fun. I am easily amused.

Here it is. A Jiff Peanut Butter Shaved Ice Pipe. I found it worked better filled with water & ice. I don't think it worth the trouble.
http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy312/billy45bump/Jerry-riggedIcePipe.jpg
Sweet, i like the frozen marbles idea, as they can easily just be put back in the freezer..and u don't have refill ice and trays and all that tediousness.

Maybe run the inlet tube (from the vape) to the bottom, under the marbles. and the mouth piece tube would just poke through the top. That way your pulling vape "through" the frozen marbles. (Maybe thats what your doing already. I can't tell for sure.)
You could pull bigger hits, but I'd think efficiency would go down due to condensation and tube length. But it'd still be fun to experiment with. :D :o

rotax,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Here it is. A Jiff Peanut Butter Shaved Ice Pipe. I found it worked better filled with water & ice.
Choosy stoners choose Jiff :D

Lo,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
MoeOnTheMoon said:
MacBill, did this work for you ? You say "Don't think it worth the trouble". Have you given up on filtering the PD through ice or water?
I'm just a simple guy, just give me simplicity and ease. I don't want to go to the fridge to get wasted. I usually go to the fridge after I get wasted. I've never ever been a bong-water-pipe-kinda-guy. Personally, for me, it is the density of the vapor (and also the volume of air I take in: the bigger air gulp, the more likely I' will end up coughing) that sets me off coughing. But I used to smoke Cigs, and smoked them heavily for at least 30 years before I quit. Surely my lungs are fucked.

For the tube to the PD tube, I let the size of the hole I drilled thru the plastic cap be my seal. I just drilled slightly less than the diameter of the tubing. The tube does extend to the bottom of the Jiff jar. For the "wand" side, I just used a short extra mouthpiece I have hanging around for my Launc Box and tubed it. And I used another Launch Box mouthpiece to interface with tubing and PD tube. It would better with glass. Plastic is too pliable when inhaling. The plastic walls callapse, hence the need to add water to decrease any give. A quart Mason jar would work better.

Someone put a link up to where you can get heat-resistent silicon tubing, and I think its really cheap. Just guessing, but I think its around page 45 on the Iolite thread. There is a 10 foot min, but still It seems a good deal. I'd tell you to use the search facility, but that is where my inner-clown shines. I can't find a thing. I use it for many of my toy mods.

macbill,
This is the information off the top of my head that may be relevant, and I will check my Chemistry book later for confirmation:
Heat is energy. Lack of heat is the absence of energy. If any of the water melts or evaporates, it takes a given amount of energy, which is in the form of heat from the vapor, or atmosphere. This cools your vapor.
Any substance can reach any temperature. However, H2O has the second highest specific heat capacity on a per-gram or per-mole basis, among common substances.
Specific heat capacity: the energy transferred as heat that is required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by one kelvin (equal to one Celcius). - from Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity, Seventh Edition; Kotz, Treichel, Townsend.
This means that it takes more energy/heat to change the temperature of water. Therefore, water will hold a more steadily cold temperature, thus cooling your vapor longer.

I hope this makes sense, and if I see anything wrong with my science, then I will edit. I don't have a lot of time right now, otherwise I would continue.

Orange Hairy Mist,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
lo said:
Here it is. A Jiff Peanut Butter Shaved Ice Pipe. I found it worked better filled with water & ice.
Choosy stoners choose Jiff :D
Absolutely true, Io, and to make it sublime, some Oregon Marrionberry jam.

May your moon ever journey around Saturn (or wherever)

macbill,

karazi

Hello everyone, please hear me out. I run my original Aromazap softwood through a handheld bubbler (stem straight to bowl, with rubber band adhered to tip of stem to provide a reliable seal).

I started off with using cold water from the refrigerator, then an epiphany dawned on me and I put the bubbler into the freezer for about five to ten minutes (before the water freezes completely of course). The result was fantastic and I have been doing it ever since, since about a week ago. From here I will graduate to running my zap through a 100ml EHLE bong with ice pinch, connected by food grade tubing, seems like the next logical step. But for now my freezer method has been providing excellent results. If you have a small enough bubbler to fit in the freezer I highly recommend this method.

karazi,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Necessity is the Mother of Invention. Sorry: I can't help with the bromides: They just blurt out.

macbill,

B.

War Criminal
I just send my ssv whip into my bong filled with ice, no water. I can attest that efficiency is not the strong point to this method, but damn is it fun. And smooth.

I wonder what the key to efficient, cool vape is? I'm sure eliminating the bong would be step one :p

B.,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
B. said:
I wonder what the key to efficient, cool vape is? I'm sure eliminating the bong would be step one :p
I wonder about bubbles. Wouldn't only the surface skin of the bubble cool and "filter" while the middle of the bubble could still (I don't know) be hot and partically? It would seem to me, it would be better, at least for cooling and filtering, to have as many small, fine bubbles as one could squeeze out, like through the holes of a garlic press or shower head, or through a sponge to maximize bubble suface to water/cooling agent as opposed to large bubbles?

Just a thought.

macbill,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
That's why bongs have diffused downstems, you're on the right track.

I like using a bong because it not only cools the vapor but condenses it in the chamber.

bluntfaced,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
macbill, I always thought that running the vapor through a tube and water should make it easier on my throat/lungs. But you wrote: "the bigger air gulp, the more likely I' will end up coughing". And I think I am finding that to be true for me as well.

Taking vape through a tube via my modified Vapor Genie seems to cause me to cough more than just taking it through the Genie. Why is that? Why wold taking in more air cause more coughing, and what is the way around it?

What I am trying to do is figure out the best way to modify the vapor to give me less asthma and throat irritation than taking it straight through the pipe or whatever. I always loved bongs and water pipes for smoking. The cool smoke always felt better to me than the hot smoke. And cool vapor feels better, too. But why does taking more air cause coughing, and how does one filter the vapor through water without causing more air and thus more coughing?

MoeOnTheMoon,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i have heard/read that THC is an expectorant and therefore some amount of coughing might be expected initially when converting to vapor. Perhaps the extra air volume allows more of the lungs to be purged.

So, does the coughing subside after adapting to the new technique -- say 5 to 6 weeks.

Or, perhaps there is some borderline component in the air stream -- somewhere between vapor and smoke -- that is perpetuating the need to cough.

Shouldn't true vapor be invisible, or nearly so? There could be quite a lot of lower temperature combusion occuring.

Moe, one method i use to reduce mouth irritation is to inhale through my nose.

Hippie Dickie,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
MoeOnTheMoon said:
Why wold taking in more air cause more coughing, and what is the way around it?
Good question. I wonder if when we over-fill (fill more than is customary) our lungs, it adds some type of stress to the tissue that forms the sacs, or make the sacs more vulnerable to irritants.

My medical knowledge isn't any more sophisticated than what you'd find on Seseme Street. What can be the trigger to cough? Is it particulants, or something else? It is my understanding a lung is more sponge-like, with many many sacs that expands with air as the diaphram pulls down the upper cavity, forcing air down our windpipes.

I guess, in short, damned if I know what's happening. Your guess is as good as mine.

macbill,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Hippie Dickie said:
So, does the coughing subside after adapting to the new technique -- say 5 to 6 weeks.

Moe, one method i use to reduce mouth irritation is to inhale through my nose.
For me, I guess I just naturally (really, without thinking) know my lung's limits. Not to say I don't cough still: after all, I am still a pot-pig. I would say I mostly unconsciencely choose a volumn that is hit-sustanable. Hope that makes sense.

Moe: nose hits - worth a try. Dries the sinuses a little. For me, too dense of vapor on nose hits would give me "horseradish effect", a buzz in the upper sinuses.

macbill,
Top Bottom