1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Chewy 2.0 Portable Electric Grinder

Discussion in 'Vapor Related Equipment' started by Splat, Oct 10, 2017.

1. steama

steama Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas Chewy Pals!

Chewy 2 is now my sole grinder and things have never been better. I love this thing.

I have found a couple of spots that gum-up after a few days and before a full cleaning. I clean these areas every few days with a little coconut oil or ISO. I am not making any claims that Chewy needs cleaning, (see @Vitolo comment above), however, if you can see friction areas caused by resin buildup it may help to remove it more frequently. I use a little coconut oil on a q-tip or some ISO on a q-tip.

[​IMG]

:myday:

2. TeeJay1952

TeeJay1952 Well-Known Member

@steama I think you have well cured, careful stored bud with kief intact. Nice job.:rockon::myday:

GreenHopper, Splat and steama like this.
  3. steama

steama Well-Known Member

New Year Bummer!

My brand spanking new Chewy 2 has a broken piece. First test for the manufacturer to see how they handle issues like this. These circumstances, though irritating, are always a good opportunity to get to know a company better. Good luck Chewy.

[​IMG]

Thank you @TeeJay1952

4. Andreaerdna

Andreaerdna If God is the answer, then the question is wrong

Is this part plastic?

5. steama

steama Well-Known Member

Good news Chewy Nation.

This company stands by its product and its customers. They are taking care of my broken Chewy just like that with no additional effort on my part.

This puts their company in the same customer service category as 'magic-flight' which is the best a company can do imo.

If you are looking for a great grinder from a great company this is it. I am very happy I did business with Chewy. This is how it is supposed to work.

Thank you very much Chewy and company. ;)

:clap:

yes...polycarbonate I believe

6. WakeAndVape

WakeAndVape VapeLife X

Click to play YouTube Video

7. steama

steama Well-Known Member

Thank you @Splat for sending me out a replacement Chewy 2 unit. Greatly appreciated that you made this so easy.

:tup:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  8. Splat

Splat Manufacturer

You are very welcome @steama and thank you for your support.

Everyones support and reviews on FC are really making a difference and I cant thank you enough.

If anyone has any problems or needs help with their Chewy just pm me. It might be quicker to get me here rather than email. :nod:

Merry Christmas and hope everyone has a happy new year.

9. °k

°k The sound of vapor

Hi @steama can you let us know how that part broke and where it goes please? Also editing your entire post after a reply from the manufacturer isn't really "fair" I think. Maybe just adding an edit note would really show how things happened?

10. Splat

Splat Manufacturer

Hi @k,

I would like to explain about the broken part. The part was broken out of the box. It was damaged in the production process and some how got through our test protocal. The little clip on the back of the push block got broken off. This part is made from polycarbon which is a very strong plastic and will not break unless it is bent over 90 degress. It some how got bent 90 degrees and then back again during assembly and broke. This can't actually happen in the device itself so rest assured if it wasn't broken out of the box then it wont break and of course we will replace the unit.

This is the first time this has happend. We stand by our product and know that it is built from quality materials and by a very good factroy. However somtimes faulty parts slip through. We are very proud to have 0.1% return rate. 1 out of every 1000 which is really good. We will watch out for this issue in production.

Regarding Steama's post we simply got our wires crossed. I would explain but its better coming from him. Don't worry I didn't pay him off or anything :lol: I don't think it would be that easy with Steama. :goon:

11. °k

°k The sound of vapor

@Splat thanks for the detailed clarification. I'm glad to see it's not something that could happen during use. I understand the QA process is definitely not something set in stone and has to adapt according to the feedback you receive so I'm also glad to see you're being reactive on that level.
    As for @steama post, it's just that before editing it didn't really convey the same impression as it does now and I believe it's part of evaluating a company to see how they react when something went wrong on their end. I work in CS and we do mistakes from time to time but always try to use these as opportunities to flip the customers impression around and make them actually recommend us (without any bribe ;) ).
    So please don't get me wrong, I like your product and I'm interested in it even though I shouldn't really think about getting one at the moment and so far I like how you seem to be dealing with it and its issues. I just wanted to know more for the reasons just mentioned.

paehtod likes this.
  12. steama

steama Well-Known Member

Polycarbonate is the best material Chewy Co. could have used for this part.

Yep, exactly as @Splat said, the piece did not break from use, it had to have been broken at the factory. The piece probably was hanging on by a thread of polycarbonate. It could not have broken from use. I know this because I have some other toys made from polycarbonate.

About polycarbonate. I have several excellent hunting slingshots made from high grade polycarbonate. The way the company tests the strength of their polycarbonate slingshots is to fire several rounds of large 1/2 shot at the slingshot. If it breaks in any way the design fails. The thing about polycarbonate is it rarely if ever breaks. All that is usually left on the slingshot from the 1/2 shot is a dent from impact.

Polycarbonates are a group of thermoplastic polymers containing carbonate groups in their chemical structures. Polycarbonates used in engineering are strong, tough materials, and some grades are optically transparent. Polymers get their amazing strength because they cross-link on a molecular level. It is almost a sin to call this tough stuff plastic because it is so awesome. Lexan is a brand name of some of this super polycarbonate material.

Polycarbonate blows everything else out of the water when it comes to strong plastics, no doubt about it.

As far as Chewy customer service goes it is 5-star customer service. You can trust them to take care of you 100% from my experience. If you buy a Chewy you have zero to worry about except running out of herb.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    paehtod, RUDE BOY, Jill NYC and 2 others like this.
  13. steama

steama Well-Known Member

First, I need to apologize for my last misleading post to my claims regarding the Chewy 2's sturdiness.

My first Chewy 2 problem was supposed to be a 1/1000 issue. Well, it seems lightening has struck twice with the Chewy 2 for me in a disappointing way.

I have had the exact type of polycarbonate break, more like a shatter, with a SECOND Chewy 2 grinder in a very, very, short time.

My second Chewy 2 grinder broke in a similar same way as the first. Here is a photo of the polycarbonate break/shatter issue with my second Chewy 2.

The break did NOT occur in the factory. The piece was fine and then it was broken.

I've gone back to my New Vape Fine Grind. :nod:

Sorry for this disappointing report FC pals. :disgust:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  14. PoopMachine

PoopMachine Well-Known Member

NewVape could make that whole block out of titanium or aluminum.... just sayin.....

15. paytonpenn

paytonpenn Level 30 Nature/Healer

Looking at their prices it'd also cost the same as a new Chewy..

@steama do you think the trigger end was too tight I know the manufacturer mentioned being able to loosen that area.

EDIT:
    Obviously it may not be that high but they have some high price points for everything they actually make, considering it'd be a custom job....

16. PoopMachine

PoopMachine Well-Known Member

I dont think it would be that bad. The part already exists so it shouldnt be that bad to have a CNC program done for it.

Could always have it made in China too. If you buy 1000 you could probably get them for next to nothing.

paytonpenn likes this.
  17. steama

steama Well-Known Member

In my opinion, which is worth about as much as it weighs.

I think this is either a poor application for polycarbonate 'or' a poor formulation of polycarbonate. The material is shattering near the release pins on the block rails.

The trigger end may not be shaped correctly and possibly shattering the pins when it comes down to release the block.

I think the polycarbonate is all wrong for how it is being used but my perspective is skewed from two bad units. The manufacturer claims this is a rare event.

I really do not have any info beyond that.

:2c:

18. Splat

Splat Manufacturer

@steama very sorry you have had trouble with your second unit. You have been a top advocate for Chewy and it is very unfortunate you've had problems. I hope the what I have offered you is satisfactory.

It is important to me to reassure people that the clips are strong and tested to a high standard.

After receiving Steama report yesterday I went to my office to preform our strenght test on some clips. I hung a 5kg weight from the clips and then a 10kg weight consecutively. The clips had no damage after the test. The spring force in the Chewy is less that 1kg. See attached videos of the tests.

At our manufacturing facility we proform this test randomly every 100 units. We also do a 5000 time lock and release cycle randomly every 100 units. We have not come across this problem. If anyone else has this problem please pm and we'll get it sorted.

19. Used2use

Used2use Landrace racer

@steama - is it completely unusable that way?
    @Splat - temperature is also a factor how the plastic reacts esp the thinner it is... is there a temperature range for those tests or even an official 'usage temp range'?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    GreenHopper and Jill NYC like this.
  20. Splat

Splat Manufacturer

Hi @Used2use Polycarbonate is stable between temperats of -20 and 140 degrees C. Environmental factors like moisture have little to no effect.

I cannot speak for Steama's units but I have tested the function of the chewy by cutting one of the clips off a unit I have on hand. Chewy still fucntions with one clip, there is not much difference between one or 2 clips from what I can see on my unit.

21. steama

steama Well-Known Member

The problem is that I have been using my Chewy 2 by hooking up to a truck hitch...best for a fine grind./s

Nothing special with my Chewy use in anyway. Very gentle use nothing forced or pressed. Both breaks pretty much have everything in common with each other. I would be speculating as to why. I do not have the engineering background.

Maybe I have been cursed by the devil of the electric grinders?

:evil:

22. steama

steama Well-Known Member

I got my replacement Chewy 2. I need to say that the company that makes this little grinder is a
    5-star company in that they take damn good care of their customers.

I put away my broken Chewy 2s and went back to a traditional grinder for about a week. A miserable week because after using the Chewy 2 I greatly prefer it to hand grinding in every way. This little grinder is the way to go if you want super fresh grind for every single sesh. In the short time I had the Chewy 2 it completely spoiled me until they broke (although they are still usable).

Because of my breakage issues I have decided not to use the 'block lock or the trigger' with this new Chewy 2, I just pull the block back with my thumb and stick a few buds in and everything is good to go. I am not saying using the block lock and trigger could break your unit but you really don't need to use them either.

If I end up having the same issue with this replacement Chewy 2 I will proceed as if nothing happened. I do not mind not using the block lock and trigger with my Chewy 2.

So I am dedicated to this little grinder in spite of having an issue. The company is great and I love this grinder.

Thanks for all your help @Splat

Splat, sickmanfraud, Vitolo and 9 others like this.
  23. Andreaerdna

I received my chewy2 few days ago and I like it so far, agree with others happy customers.

It is kind of complicate to fill without spill a small bowl like enano or solo ones but you can do it, it is easy with bigger bowls like apollo one, or the wide small vapman

Rest to see how it will behave with time but if it will not deceive I will be buying a second one (flowers for the day, flowers for the night)

I will keep my medium 4pieces SC and large 2pieces SCS though, as for larger loads I feel it is still easier to use an old school grinder

24. Andreaerdna

Report after a week of use is very positive, i like this grinder a lot and it fit my lifestyle like a glove

Everything packed clean in its smell proof bag, and ready to go when I am. taste is indeed improved when grinding on demand instead of doing it in advance

Have a little problem though, the spring is some times complicate to unleash in order to use it after reload, one of the little retainers (@steama showed it broken in pictures) do not unstuck from full open position (as for when you reload) nothing big but little annoying. Is anyone experimenting this? i cleaned it today but problem remains (I have to try 4/5 times to be succesfull) @Splat any advice?

Edit: it is the same retainer broke in this picture that stuck in reloading position
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018 at 3:14 AM
  25. paehtod

paehtod Well-Known Member

Hi @Andreaerdna, I think I know what you talking about, I also experience this issue, I found that's the problem caused by small particle of the green materials, that retainer are locked when you pull the spring loader trigger, it release when push back the trigger. I found that push back the trigger with little impact force will more easy to release that retainer.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors