• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Gear Cheesecloth & ISO

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Hey FC, I wasn't sure if this should go here or in ask fc:shrug:
I just wanted to check if there's any reason I shouldn't put cheesecloth into some ISO?

I figure it should be fine, but it can't hurt to check with all you fine knowledgeable folks :)

Basically, I'm gonna line a mason jar with cheesecloth, then fill with ABV, then fill with ISO.
After a minute or so, pull out the cheesecloth, squeeze out the excess ISO, and pour what's left through a coffee filter to get the finer stuff out.

Then ABV dabs here I come :D

Frederick McGuire,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Well I use it, so I hope there're no ill effects. The only thing I can think of is the potential for residue from the bleaching process. But there can't be much wrong with it- my logic being that cheese cloth is meant to be in prolonged contact with food, and there's a good chance you could eat some of it on old cheese rind.

I find a potato ricer really very handy for squeezing all the iso out of the puck of cloth covered avb- you can really squeeze every last drop out, leaving the avb pretty dry. I keep bending the thin steel handle of mine though by squeezing so hard, so I'm on the look out for a more solid one.

WatTyler,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Haha, I'll have to add potato ricer to my list of "repurposed" kitchen utensils.
Thanks for the info on cheesecloth, makes me feel a lot better about using it :)

Frederick McGuire,

quentin123

I was using a cheesecloth for a similar purpose when water curing my ABV, but I found that it really let a lot of particles through and was massively inferior to a set of tights, that being said there is probably a much higher chance of some chemical in the set of tights being dissolved in iso but the extract I made from it was really quite nice. Maybe some cheesecloths are tighter than others because the one I was using really had rather large gaps in it.

quentin123,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
yeah good point quentin- I always use at least a double or triple layer of cheese cloth

WatTyler,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Yeah, I was gonna double it up.

I don't need it to stop everything though, just most of the big stuff that I don't want to leave in the coffee filter while it does its thing.

Frederick McGuire,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I played around w/ cheesecloth and several other things as filters but the cloth does eat some of your liquid since it's absorbent. The best method I've found after a few years of playing has been a nylon tea strainer. It is NOT absorbent at all, has really tiny holes and fits perfectly over small mason jars so I can use a spoon to squeeze the last of the goodies out of the herb. Works fantastically well :D

v00978.jpg

http://www.republicoftea.com/product.aspx?p=V00978

Found mine at a health food store in the tea aisle

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
You can also look at some of the homebrew shops for the dry hop bags. Obviously they are very small mesh, but they are alcohol resistant (at least in beer/bigger brews).

AGBeer,
Top Bottom