Checking out

Status
Not open for further replies.

MauiWowee

i didn't know there was tight control on posts

not interested in walking on eggshells, thanks anyway

think i'll head over to marijuana.com where you can be yourself with no one on your back

take care and have fun

MauiWowee,
You dont think the poster has a point?

There is fine line between keeping a forum informative and fun and factual but boring.
i understand the need for control or you just end up with a big mess, but after taking all the facts whats to stay for?
if your going to be modding the forum hard i feel the poster should know why they are being modded.

I'm not knocking anyone, its your house, you set the rules, i understand and respect them, i know where the door is .

Zenfold,

max

Out to lunch
MauiWowee had a bad habit of making many back to back posts instead of using the edit button to just add info to his last post. He also created many unnecessary threads, where a post in an existing thread would have been better. His idea of posting didn't fit this forum.

I'm sure he'll be happy at mj.com, as long as he's not trying to find info in the 55 pages of threads in the vape section. That section gets little moderation as far as structure and it shows when you're trying to find info. Every day someone is starting a thread, asking for info that's usually on the first few pages. We're trying to make this a better and easier place to find info than the average forum.

Zenfold said:
There is fine line between keeping a forum informative and fun and factual but boring.
First time I've heard the forum described as boring. How would you like to liven it up? What exactly is your complaint?

i understand the need for control or you just end up with a big mess, but after taking all the facts whats to stay for?
What facts? Again, what exactly is your complaint?

if your going to be modding the forum hard i feel the poster should know why they are being modded.
We tell why in mod notes and in posts. I don't even see how someone could be "modded" without an explanation. Give just one example of someone being told 'don't do that' or 'do this instead' without being told why.

The forum is a work in progress, but we don't expect to please everyone. Those who refuse to see or comply with the structure we're trying to build here will obviously not be happy hanging around. That also goes for those who are too lazy to do some reading and want all their answers spoon fed to them. The new section 'Ask the Vaporists', is an attempt to answer questions for those new to vapor without loading up existing threads with the same questions being asked repeatedly. This is not a forum designed to be 'average' or to cater to beginners to vapor. You can certainly come here as a newbie and get up to speed faster than at mj.com or elsewhere, and we're trying to make that even easier. But that requires the poster to align with our structure, not bend the forum to the poster's idea of what the structure should be. This is not a heavily or strictly moderated forum compared to some. But good info is primary here, not secondary as it is on most other mj forums.

max,

KeepCalm

Reindeer, reindeer, reindeer
I love this place. It really is the best spot for diehard vapor enthusiasts. :ko: Keep up the good work fellas.

KeepCalm,

Beezleb

Over modding can have a negative effect by limiting community interaction. I also do not see any information that is unique to this FC. In fact only a handful of people really are regular poster who post substance so I wouldnt go to high and mighty on that.

What made FC good in my view was the welcoming and inviting atmosphere and this does seem to be eroding some but with that said FC has restructured a bit and its a bit premature to say one way or the other but taking aggressive moderating does turn people off and post of this nature even if the mod is correct is potentially harmful as it gives the impression over moderation.

A good moderator team should understand that their actions are always going to be analyzed (correctly and incorrectly at times) and lets face it, it is pretty much a thankless job. Even if the mods explain everything with pretty flowers the act of moderation can cause waves.

With that said, the poor guy did ask alot of generalized questions that could of been answered by reviewing other threads. I havent tried the search function here but im not sure anything was searched before asking and he came of kinda lazy. I understand how this annoying as some people who put an effort into helping others and it is irritating when people ask questions that you have answered or spoke on in many other posts. Its not like we are on call to jump at every question. Last I knew, we dont get paid.

Do we have a search before asking rule? I would imagine we do. Edited in: I checked, we dont. Can we get that put into the rules. Like anyone reads them anyways I know.

I do find this rather odd though Max:
"This is not a forum designed to be 'average' or to cater to beginners to vapor."

Should I and others stop referring new vaporist here? Perhaps I thought more of what we really are.

Beezleb,

Frickr

i love this place also, even though i may not post all the time, im still on the forums lurking and reading, researching, and laughing at some of the things you people say. i use to be an active member on cannabis.com but was pretty much kicked out of that sight for not being a medical user. reading on there though, i did find a link and havent looked back to that sight since!

im happy with the rules, the people, the respect, and the info on this forum, and i know many others are as well. happy vaping

Frickr,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
maui said:
think i'll head over to marijuana.com where you can be yourself with no one on your back
Good luck. I post their and it's much, much more strictly moderated than here.

max said:
"This is not a forum designed to be 'average' or to cater to beginners to vapor."
:/?

SpiralArchitect,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Beezelb said:
I also do not see any information that is unique to this FC. In fact only a handful of people really are regular poster who post substance so I wouldnt go to high and mighty on that.
Aww thanks, Beezle, you're so sweet!

Do we have a search before asking rule? I would imagine we do. Edited in: I checked, we dont.
:uhh: What rules are you reading? Our rules are clear, and I really have little sympathy for those who choose to ignore them, break them, and create unnecessary work for members and mods here. Disrespect our rules, ask for everything and give nothing back... no, you probably won't have a great time here.

Since we're discussing rules, I'd ask that you please cut down on the zero content posting as outlined in our rules. For example, just posting a smiley in the long pd thread. Many more examples available upon request.

Zenfold said:
Just to be extra clear, I'll reiterate. MauiWowee joined up and proceeded to make 11 new threads in 6 days. 90% of those threads could have been: contained in 1 thread, posted in existing threads, or, did not warrant their own thread. He was asked nicely multiple times to take it easy, I personally killed probably an hour trying to be extra nice and explain the issues to him. I agree with him, fuck walking on eggshells.

The fact that he felt it necessary to make yet another thread announcing that he was leaving should remove any doubt. I mean come on. :rolleyes:

vtac,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
^
:)

Yeah, I say don't let the door hit ya on the way out, no offense. People need to learn their are rules to forums, and they are established for good reason -- besides, you agreed to them when you registered. :p

edit/// vtac, I just now see you have 46 posts... was it always this low?

SpiralArchitect,

Beezleb

Vtac, where in the rules does it say search before posting? I figured it would be there but it is clearly not. I think its common sense for posters to follow the rules and if a rule is not posted than technically they poster would have a point.

Your forum do what you want. Feel free to remove to my smiley post from the PD thread, my bad.

Doh,

My bad, I cant read. lol. Yea it says it but perhaps the search before posting part should be in the bullet section with the rest of the rules so idiots like me can easily see it hehe.

My bad.

Beezleb,

max

Out to lunch
SpiralArchitect said:
max said:
:/?
Well it's not. It was already the best source of vapor way back last year. mj.com is far above average as a source of good vape info (2nd only to this forum IMO) and their vape section is a 55 page mess of threads with a piss poor search function. I can't even find info that I put there a few months ago. You know this. You've got twice as many posts there as I do.

And the goal here is to get beginners up to speed without having all the redundant 'what vape should I buy' threads. I did a lot of reading and reseach on vapes before I made my first post on a forum. I have little patience for people new to vapor who want to start a thread and get all their answers spoon fed to them because they're too lazy to read. We'll point them in the right direction, but who wants to answer the same questions over and over. I've done enough of that on other forums. As time goes on we'll have more stickys with basic info, like the Vaporizer Information section that Rick has on the front page at mj.com (http://www.marijuana.com/vaporizer/). That's the reason for the 'Ask the Vaporists' section-some answers without clogging up existing threads with newbie questions. Yeah, it's a work in progress, but it's a step in the right direction.

I do find this rather odd though Max:

Should I and others stop referring new vaporist here? Perhaps I thought more of what we really are.
Does my explanation take my statement out of the 'odd' catagory? Do you really want this place to be just another messy forum with a hundred threads asking the same questions? We want referrals for people willing to do some reading. We don't want new vaporists who won't follow the rules and stucture of the forum or who want to be spoon fed all their answers.

This is the type of response that people can expect, when they show they're willing to do some reading/research, and not just pump us for the answer to their every question-

vtac said:
VAPOR_TRAILS, please let me say THANK YOU for taking the time to do your research, and congrats on discovering vapor! The best is yet to come! Hope to see you around.
I've also thanked people at mj.com for doing their homework (and I'm just a regular ole member there). If people will put in some effort to read and learn some stuff, others will be a lot more willing to answer questions when they don't have to start with a question like 'what is a vaporizer?' or 'how does a vaporizer work?'.

max,

MauiWowee

For god's sake the name of the forum is profanity... then you come in here and the mod expects holiness.

It's nothing but a power trip if you ask me. I own several forums myself and I don't micromanage posts to save on hard disk space. if you can't afford disk space then close up shop or require a membership fee. My posts were not excessive at all. I posted unique things in every thread. if you want to have your little good-ole-boy club and micromanage newcomers for fun then go for it... i just won't be here to observe it.

MauiWowee,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
No, we expect you to abide by the rules you agreed to.

i just won't be here to observe it.
Yeah, I thought you left. Let me help you.

:wave:

vtac,
G

max said:
Every day someone is starting a thread, asking for info that's usually on the first few pages. We're trying to make this a better and easier place to find info than the average forum.
Sounds like you are trying to make a forum do the job of a website to me. Websites are used to inform people. Blogs and news articles are used to inform people. FAQ pages are used to inform people. Forums are used for community.

I was looking for a vaporizer forum for community. Why not create a website to inform people with, and then have a forum for community?

Just an idea. Take care, and happy vaping.

Maui

:cool:

Guest,
G

P.S. - I really had no intentions of offending anyone. Take care, and thanks for all the great tips.

:peace:

Guest,

eLiguL

MauiWowie said:
max said:
Every day someone is starting a thread, asking for info that's usually on the first few pages. We're trying to make this a better and easier place to find info than the average forum.
Sounds like you are trying to make a forum do the job of a website to me. Websites are used to inform people. Blogs and news articles are used to inform people. FAQ pages are used to inform people. Forums are used for community.

I was looking for a vaporizer forum for community. Why not create a website to inform people with, and then have a forum for community?

Just an idea. Take care, and happy vaping.

Maui

:cool:
I hope you find another online community that shares your views. Lets agree to disagree and move on.

eLiguL,

Beezleb

Maybe a FAQ or some sticky that addresses the typical questions and points them to the discussion topic would be helpful if not prudent before hall monitor type of moderation.

Beezleb,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Mauiwowie MauiWowee...I agree that many of the threads you created would have been better served as posts in existing threads. Recently we've been trying to figure out the best format for threads, forums, etc., and you happened to clutter it up at just that time.

The clutter was a little annoying. The obvious lack of reading you did before asking questions was more annoying. This fucking swan song thread of yours is the most annoying. It must be all about you. I'm shutting it down.

stickstones,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom