• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Cheap High Quality Bubbler

Summer

Long Island, NY

@Summer
it's not fair for you to deal with me?
I don't know why I even lasted this long?
We are lucky to experience LIFE!
FIND your SWEET SPOT.

I look forward to your (what I call) philosophical poetry. Certainly got me to ponder the word 'civilized'.' And you're still here because you are meant to be here. :nod: And, yes, we are blessed to experience life. And, yes, everyone needs to find their personal sweet spot in this life.

@pxl_jockey, you misunderstood what I was asking. I don't know what you mean by "you can see the first joint is the female of the ashcatcher." 1st joint of what piece? I'm guessing that the ashcatcher is the bulbous glass portion below the female joint of the diffusing downstem, 2nd from left?

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
So, the main thing is, no link to that rig has been posted yet (unless I'm too high, which has happened before...)

And I don't see an ashcatcher so long as we're looking at the same picture?

from l to r there's the piece, the downstem (which so happens to have slits for diffusion), the mouthpiece, and a flower bowl, if you were smoking out of it. I don't see an ashcatcher though. :shrug:

However, if you post the link to that piece (and not just a picture)

I will give you a link (or maybe just a picture) of an actual ashcatcher. Deal?:nod:

cheers

Summer

Long Island, NY
Thanks @muunch. I got the drift of an ashcatcher. @pxl_jockey confused me (which is easy to do) when he referred to the ashcatcher & I didn't see one in the picture I was referencing (the same one you referenced).

Last edited:
Summer,
Reactions: ataxian

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Thanks @muunch. I got the drift of an ashcatcher. @pxl_jockey confused me (which is easy to do) when he referred to the ashcatcher & I didn't see one in the picture I was referencing (the same one you referenced).
You learn fast!
Glass is where it's at!
Small MOUTHPIECES for some.
BIG MOUTHPIECES to those who prefer?
Wood for the eye's, however expensive and unnecessary!
VAPORIZER'S will get cheaper when corporation's see it's use and profit.
CANNABIS will get cheaper in legal area's.
THEORETICIANS will still make it illegal.
Why are BARS legal and CANNABIS LOUNGES not?
CANNABIS is safer than MILK!

CIVILIZATION need's to GROW UP!

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Last edited:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
5'9" 110 pounds Female and lot's a CANNABIS!

TOMORROW my ASH CATCHER arrives!

CIVILIZED LIVING PHOTO FUN!

ataxian,
Reactions: MrMonss

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
@ataxian, thank you for your nice reply concerning ataxia. I have since googled & read up on this disease. And sincerely appreciate the clear picture of the pieces broken down. :)

@Baron23, I didn't know that there was a disease called ataxia. I just was curious how @ataxia chose his username as most everyone's name has some personal meaning to them. In the little time that I've known ataxian I was thinking that it had to be rooted in something philosophical or astronomical. So, thank you, now I know & I've learned something from the both of you. :nod:

@pxl_jockey, no, I'm glad you posted because I was gonna ask if the 2 flared rims on the mp were ornamental or functional since Baron didn't address this. But don't know what you mean by, "If you double-click the tiny pic in your post above ataxian's you can see the first joint is the female of the ashcatcher." :hmm: 1st joint of what piece? :shrug: (Paging @GreenHopper, I need you to annotate the pic with arrows & circles. ;))

I'm now starting to learn about wps & wpas. So the adaptor to the immediate right of the wp is known as a diffusing downspout?

Sorry for the late reply, been busy....

3d4Otzj.jpg

*Nice setup and pic @ataxian!

So I think the bit that you are asking about is the 'down stem'.

This one looks like it comes with the main base unit as they perfectly complement each other. After reading the prior posts it's the 'mouthpiece' that I believe @ataxian had @Oregonglassblower make for him. I know @ataxian prefers his 'mouthpieces' to have a 'flat end' rather than a flared' end.

Flat end mouthpiece:

bpKlB9e.jpg

Flared end mouthpiece:

coLcEgy.jpg

The down stem can be as simple as a single column with slits at the bottom and a GonG joint at the top:

14130021389432002974714.jpeg

Note that the top GonG joint must both mate with the 'Base Unit' as well as act as a GonG for other components such as bowls. Some even more basic downstems might not act as GonG joints, instead opting for a build in bowl. Those aren't much use to us vapers.

Looks like the down stem for @ataxian's bubbler has 4x downstems with slits at the bottom. This can often be referred to as a Tree-Perc when built in directly to an 'ash catcher' or 'bubbler'.

Ashcatcher:

img-11_arm_tree_ash_catcher.jpg

Above is an 'ash catcher', usually placed on the inlet GonG of a bubbler with either another ash catcher or a bowl on it's own inlet. The idea is to add pre-percolation to the setup in order to filter out the heavy nasties before the smoke/vapor goes into the bubbler/bong.

Most vapers don't bother with 'ash catchers' as the vapor is usually light enough to not need pre-percolation. Some have used 'ash catchers' in conjunction with J-Hooks to create a mini pipe style bubbler:

IMG_2044.jpg

Notice how the percolator on this 'ash catcher' is flared, often refered to as a shower head perc. Also the owner has opted to use a 'Lotus' on the inlet GonG. Nice modular setup!

* cut 'n' paste from https://www.herbtools.co.uk/bongs/resources/different-types-of-percolators.html

tree-percolator.jpg

Tree percolator – These range between having 3 – 12 individual arms inside the percolator. This means that the tree percolator is effectively able to diffuse your smoke through 12 different partitions! By separating the smoke this means you will have a smoother smoking experience. The tree will also have small slit openings on the bottom of it which can create a bubble effect. The smaller these are, the more the smoke will be filtered.

drum-percolator.jpg

Next is a drum percolator. These work by spreading the smoke around and making the hits even more smooth. The drum has vertical slits in it all the way around so you can sure to get a lot of diffusion out of it and a bubbly smoking experience.

dome-percolator.jpg

If you’re looking for a cheaper option for a percolator you should consider a dome percolator. As the name would indicate, these are shaped like a dome. You will get a basic diffusing experience if you choose to use one of these, mainly due to the lack of slits so therefore less diffusion is able to be created. The shape of the percolator means they are great at stopping tars in the water.

honeycomb.jpg

The most attractive to look at is the honeycomb percolator and one of the most unique at diffusing. This works by the smoke travelling through the hundreds of tiny holes. As the smoke is forced through these, it means your smoke will be smoother and cooler. It is important that the holes in the honeycomb are not too large or small as this will ruin the effect.

inline-diffuser.jpg

Inline diffusers are the next type of percolator available. These are normally long and perpendicular and sit at the bottom of the pipe. The bottom is usually lined with slits or holes that are separated. When the smoker takes the hit, the water passes length ways through the diffusers and is pushed out the holes. As such, they often create lovely patterns in the water from the bubbles!

shower-percolator.jpg

You can also use a shower percolator in your bong also. This is a small tube that runs around the base of the bong that has holes or slits in it. As the smoke passes through, the bubbles pass up to the top of the bong creating a shower like effect!

spiral-percolator.jpg

Spiral percolators are the next type to possibly be in your bong! The glass in the centre is shaped in a spiral with a hole built in. you will find that the smoke can be harder to pull through in this design, although they look pretty, so pick wisely!

turbine-disc.jpg

Although not an actual percolator, turbine discs still act in a diffuser type of way. The angle and cuts in the disc allow the water to spin and create a cyclone effect.

I gotta say @ataxian I'm really liking the look of your rig. Love the modular approach of having the downstem removable.

What is it called?

Even better still, do you have a link to an available unit?

UnidenWallet

Hey all, I'm going to buy a pink fab egg. Any seller recommendations? And no, I'm not looking to buy t he official mothership one, as this is the "cheap bubblers" thread. I need something that won't break the bank

UnidenWallet,
Reactions: ataxian

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I was going to buy the PINK one however no price?
Pink is the coolest!
Real men are not afraid of color!

@GreenHopper I like OGB's mouthpiece to most.
Tobe honest ZIG ZAG'S are the best!

I need water path now.
My JOINT daz R over!

CANNABIS is LIFE!

Green = This hoppers fave

PINK = CIVILISED

ZK5ktg3.jpg

That's what I'm seeing for "fab egg pink" when I search on Dhgate. When I click on the first option I see they will honor a single item order.

Don't know how much shipping is though.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Pink is a masculine, powerful color in japanese culture (pets STi)
We were surf hippies in the 70's on the beach in HAWAII.
PINK is the color real men sported.

We had no Glass or VAPORIZER's!

Dying is no big deal.

CANNABIS with no seed & free for surfer's.

I have a FC 186 I will charge all day tomorrow.

COLAS + VAPORIZER + WATER PATH = The correct way to live!

This is CIVILIZED

GRAPE APE Tonight = COMA ACTION

In FRENCH we say,"Fais do do"!

There were 9 - 12 foot tiger sharks in our zone.
I paddled in over the reef.
The AUSTRALIANS would punch them in the nose!
The BREW'S (SOUTH AFRICA) just ignored them. @lazylathe BREW's are tuff!
The HAOLiE'S from CALIFORNIA we just cuzzed a lot! (freaked me out!)
hKbjthv.jpg

PINK = NOT SCARED!

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
Sorry for the late reply, been busy....

3d4Otzj.jpg

*Nice setup and pic @ataxian!

So I think the bit that you are asking about is the 'down stem'.

This one looks like it comes with the main base unit as they perfectly complement each other. After reading the prior posts it's the 'mouthpiece' that I believe @ataxian had @Oregonglassblower make for him. I know @ataxian prefers his 'mouthpieces' to have a 'flat end' rather than a flared' end.

Flat end mouthpiece:

bpKlB9e.jpg

Flared end mouthpiece:

coLcEgy.jpg

The down stem can be as simple as a single column with slits at the bottom and a GonG joint at the top:

14130021389432002974714.jpeg

Note that the top GonG joint must both mate with the 'Base Unit' as well as act as a GonG for other components such as bowls. Some even more basic downstems might not act as GonG joints, instead opting for a build in bowl. Those aren't much use to us vapers.

Looks like the down stem for @ataxian's bubbler has 4x downstems with slits at the bottom. This can often be referred to as a Tree-Perc when built in directly to an 'ash catcher' or 'bubbler'.

Ashcatcher:

img-11_arm_tree_ash_catcher.jpg

Above is an 'ash catcher', usually placed on the inlet GonG of a bubbler with either another ash catcher or a bowl on it's own inlet. The idea is to add pre-percolation to the setup in order to filter out the heavy nasties before the smoke/vapor goes into the bubbler/bong.

Most vapers don't bother with 'ash catchers' as the vapor is usually light enough to not need pre-percolation. Some have used 'ash catchers' in conjunction with J-Hooks to create a mini pipe style bubbler:

IMG_2044.jpg

Notice how the percolator on this 'ash catcher' is flared, often refered to as a shower head perc. Also the owner has opted to use a 'Lotus' on the inlet GonG. Nice modular setup!

I gotta say @ataxian I'm really liking the look of your rig. Love the modular approach of having the downstem removable.

What is it called?

Even better still, do you have a link to an available unit?

WOW, GH, you took my breath away! A huge thank you for the detailed & illustrated explanation! :love:

@ataxian, I, too, would like the link to this rig. (Obviously, I already know the mp comes from ogb.) Thanks!

Last edited:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
@Summer @ataxian @muunch @GreenHopper Oh my gosh, totally screwed up my terminology and didn't help at all. Then forgot about it... Too many distractions in my life recently, many positive but still... Sorry for the third(?) time; I feel so bad. I just wanted you to like my electronic representation. :borg:

Like maybe I should be reported for demerits and I forfeit trophy points:
We, the FC collective, do hereby find and decree pxl_jockey GUILTY of reckless misinformation and repeatedly confusing the plaintiffs with examples which upon closer inspection do not, in fact, exist. Furthermore, the accused cannot account for the posts in question with any clarity. For the record, he stated, "Man, I was just high and trying to help. I only stopped combusting yesterday, what the hell do I know?" He then giggled like schoolgirl. :rofl:

In the future I'm out of these glass questions and leaving it to the ones here who are born to teach. Like the ones listed after your name above, and quite a few others. I knew I couldn't do justice to a @GreenHopper level of answer but I really dropped the ball here. I have no excuse other than a potent strain came my way and I'm still adjusting. But that doesn't make what I did here okay. I not only confused you I confused myself along the way.

I throw myself on the mercy of @Summer and my fellow fuckers across the world. Don't hate me! :goon:

EDIT:Just learned the other day that the decorative rings around the stem of the mouthpiece are called "marias". Not sure of the origin.

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
Here's a very similar piece with a flared mp, different perc & an ashcatcher: Link

Here's a video of @Stu using it: Link

& close-up pics: Link

Stu said, "One thing I quickly realized is that unlike the OG Devastator, you can swap the downstems between the can and the a/c. With the showerhead in the can and the matrix in the a/c, it only needs about half the water that the opposite configuration uses."

And they have the same piece w/o the ashcatcher:
Link

These 2 & the other 1 above are now in my top 4. I just really like removable mouthpieces.

Last edited:

LabPong

lol I cant stand anything removable except my vaporizer from my water units. I want it to be solid with less possibilities of breaking and less things for my vapor to stick to as it quickly enters the water and then back out. Though with some multi piece units the cleaning is easier.

I like being slightly "aggressive handed" when using, moving, or cleaning my water units. I guess you could say that when it comes to my water units......simple, clean, and easy are the way I vape!

A few days ago a new glass came to my house !!

image.jpg

very pleased with the !!

I recently got a stereo matrix like this one...it just has the rounded downstem into the main body and the more rounded mouth piece. It is also one of my fav's now. I did try it without putting a carb hole in it for a few days.....but that did not last long as my diamond drill bit quickly came out and made this unit so much better.

Top Bottom